Menu

Have you ever made an ice cream cake? What kind of frosting would you use?

I got an email today from Cold Stone Creamery, advertising ice cream cakes for father's day, particularly this one:

tall_dark_delicious_sm.jpg

It's called Tall, Dark & Delicious. It has devil's food cake, sweet cream ice cream, brownies & chocolate ice cream, covered with a fudge ganache and Reese's peanut butter cups.

I'd love to get one for father's day, as we'll be getting together with extended family, but it is probably too expensive for us. It seems that the cake and ice cream parts would be easy enough to make myself, but I don't know what kind of frosting would freeze and thaw well on the cake.

Has anyone done this before? Anyone have a recipe for fudge ganache?

for my dh birthday.

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=95333876695&h=VF20t&u=EUvU2&ref=mf

I did not use the heavy cream. I substituted Cool Whip instead :).

I added crushed toffee pieces and drizzled chocolate syrup and caramel syrup and chopped nuts over the top. It looked very "gourmet" and lots of oohs and ahhhs at presentation.

hth,

K

My mother in law makes ice cream cakes like this--

She makes a two layer cake (she doesn't use a mix, but she says you can), pops the layers out of the cake pans, and refills one of the pans with ice cream.

She re-freezes the ice cream then layers cake, ice cream, cake and frosts it with either cool whip or regular canned frosting (actually makes her own, but again, says you can use Betty's if you need to). Then she pops the whole thing in the freezer. She takes it out about 15-20 minutes before eating so it can be cut. You can use any kind of flavor of ice cream or of cake.

To make ganache you put a bag of chocolate chips in a bowl set over a barely simmering pan of water. Add just enough cream to make the ganache. Don't overheat or the chocolate blooms (gets all white). You don't need to fully melt the chocolate. You just need to get it warm enough. I take it off the the stove and stir a bit, only putting it back on if it needs more melting. I think if you made the cake and froze it overnight, you could pour the ganache over the top with very little melting.

My mother in law makes ice cream cakes like this--

She makes a two layer cake (she doesn't use a mix, but she says you can), pops the layers out of the cake pans, and refills one of the pans with ice cream.

Do you think she puts the ice cream in the cake pan with the cake crumbs still there--so the ice cream will come out more easily? Otherwise, I thought maybe lining the pan with something first...

How about an ice cream pie? A friend makes one in a chocolate graham cracker crust. The bottom layer is chocolate ice cream, then a layer of raspberry sorbet. Top with chocolate syrup or melted chocolate and whatever else you like--nuts, toffee, choc chips. Not as glamorous as the cake in the picture but very easy!

Cinder

You would need to line the tin with gladwrap, i think you guys call it cling film?? or some baking paper to make sure it comes out easily. I have never made a ice-cream cake before but a friend of mines Mum used to make with just cream icing, it froze quite hard and made a kind of crunchy but creamy icing.

I have made an ice cream cake by crushing oreos and putting them in the bottom of a 9X13. Then top with softened ice cream, usually vanilla or oreo ice ceam. Spread a layer of chocolate syrup over the top and put in the freezer. Right before serving spread with cool whip and then top with more crushed oreos. It's obviously not the same as your picture ( which looks amazing btw) but it's easy and probably a lot cheaper :D.

I make an ice cream cake with a ganache frosting. The frosting is just bittersweet chocolate, a little vanilla, and heavy cream.

For the cake, I make a chocolate sheet cake and bake it in two round pans. I cool the layers, and leave a box of ice cream (I've done cookies and cream, mint chocolate chip, and vanilla) out on the counter while the cake cooks and cools.

By the time the cake is cool, the ice cream is easily spreadable. I pour it onto the bottom layer and smooth it with a warm frosting spreader. I then pop the cake back into the freezer and freeze until the ice cream is firm and solid and holding the cake layers together.

I then take the whole thing out and frost by pouring the ganache over the top. I sprinkle something decorative (crushed cookies like oreos or Girl Scout Thin Mints or toffee bits) on top of the entire cake for decoration.

It's really easy but can be kind of messy. I like the idea of freezing the middle layer separately, but I do think spreading the slightly melted ice cream and then refreezing the entire cake helps the stability of the layers.

Ice Cream Cake

Crust:

24 oreos, crushed (2 1/4 c.)

6 TBS butter, melted

Filling:

1/2 gallon ice cream (rectangular container)

Topping:

6 oz. choclate chips (1 cup)

2 c. powdered sugar

12 oz. can evaporated milk

1/2 c. butter

1 tsp. vanilla

optional: spanish peanuts

Crust:

In a large bowl, combined crushed cookies & butter. Mix well. Press lightly into a 13 x 9 pan.

Filling:

Cut ice cream into slices and place over cookie crust. Spread to cover. Put in freezer.

Topping:

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except vanilla (and peanuts). On medium-low heat, bring to a boil. Cook 8 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Cool for 1 hour (or longer). Pour topping over ice cream. Sprinkle with peanuts if using. Cover. Freeze 3 to 6 hours or until topping is completely set.

Note:

This topping is delicious and could be using on any ice cream cake you decide to make.

I make an ice cream cake with a ganache frosting. The frosting is just bittersweet chocolate, a little vanilla, and heavy cream.

For the cake, I make a chocolate sheet cake and bake it in two round pans. I cool the layers, and leave a box of ice cream (I've done cookies and cream, mint chocolate chip, and vanilla) out on the counter while the cake cooks and cools.

By the time the cake is cool, the ice cream is easily spreadable. I pour it onto the bottom layer and smooth it with a warm frosting spreader. I then pop the cake back into the freezer and freeze until the ice cream is firm and solid and holding the cake layers together.

I then take the whole thing out and frost by pouring the ganache over the top. I sprinkle something decorative (crushed cookies like oreos or Girl Scout Thin Mints or toffee bits) on top of the entire cake for decoration.

It's really easy but can be kind of messy. I like the idea of freezing the middle layer separately, but I do think spreading the slightly melted ice cream and then refreezing the entire cake helps the stability of the layers.

Thanks for the tip about the ice cream holding the layers together.

I do plan to use cake in the layers. I plan to have 3 layers of cake so I can have 2 layers of ice cream, like in the picture (2 different kinds of ice cream :tongue_smilie:). I don't know about which flavors yet, but all I have to buy is the ice cream and the ganache ingredients, as I already have cake mix in the cupboard. Should be pretty cheap.

I used to make cakes at Baskin Robins. I recently recreated one for my son's b-day using a sarah lee pound cake. Its pretty simple.

Fill a mold with ice cream (pressed).

Slice the pound cake in half and press firmly into the mold.

Let this freeze for a few hours then pop out.

To frost, let your vanilla ice cream melt a bit, then start stirring to get a smooth consistency. Use this just as you would regular frosting, except ice cream cake edges are squared, not rounded. Refreeze and decorate however you'd like.

Voila!