Menu

how to make kindergarten fun for 3rd kid of 4?

Emmy

My 3rd son will "do" kindergarten this fall. I'm trying to figure out how to make it special for him when I don't have as much time (or energy!) as I did with the other kids. I don't want him to just tag along on our history studies and not have anything that is his own - but neither do I have time to do some complicated curriculum. I would imagine this is an issue for everybody with a larger family as the younger kids hit this stage. So - ideas?

I thought of doing MFW-K with him but I'm not sure it's worth the $ when the phonics and math won't work. I don't really need a program that has phonics or math for that matter - I'm comfortable with what I've been doing for phonics, handwriting, and math. I really just need the "extra stuff". I am pretty sure if I just wing it he'll end up doing very little fun stuff - because that's pretty much how his last year went. He got a lot of PBS, starfall and books read to him - but very few fun crafts or preschool type theme stuff. (of which I'm a fan and I do realize there are many that think this stuff is a waste of time lol)

If you have ideas - let's hear them!

We're really enjoying LHFHG here. It's very fun and simple, yet meaty. I find the lessons to be open and go which is very nice. There is very little prep work. The art projects use things you should already have around the house. Each unit, which is 5 days long, has it's own rhyme with motions to learn a key point which is fun for the kids to do. I really that it does all the creative thinking for me as dd really enjoys little crafts, etc, but I'm not so good at coming up with them on my own. The nice thing is all the history lessons, bible, science, and art all tie into each other to make it a cohesive lesson. It doesn't include phonics, and it's really easy to substitute you're own math program as well. There is a math portion that coincides with Singapore Earlybird math, but you could skip it if you want. We are using Horizons as our main math, but dd is enjoying doing the math activities listed in the teacher guide anyway.

How about Five in a Row? It's simple, and not at all time consuming unless you do every activity in the manual (which isn't suggested). It doesn't include math or phonics, though there is some "applied math" which is mostly counting things like animals or fence posts and a few basic shapes. Ariel has really loved finding the different countries on the map and I think the art lessons are especially nice. The whole curriculum covers social studies, science, art, and language arts (concepts like onomatopoeia, not learning to read).

I have the older kids teach the little ones for PreK/K. My older two kept wanting to join in on all the "fun" stuff anyway. This way I can work one-on-one with one of the older girls while the other teaches kindergarten. Then they switch. I do language arts and math with the little ones. The older girls are in charge of science, history, art, music, read alouds, etc. I plan out a schedule and they take care of the rest.

Five in a Row?

:iagree:

I used FIAR with my younger son for K and we really enjoyed it. We just used the books that were readily available from our library and didn't try to do every activity and every book. You do not need to do the books in order so if a book isn't available just skip it and move on to another selection.

FIAR + your phonic,math and handwriting = a great K year!

I can relate to your dilemma! I wanted to comment on MFW for you...

I have used MFW K with my oldest two. Although we enjoyed it, I feel like it really does need the library to be "fun." I don't have time to get to the library every week. I am considering switching to Heart of Dakota for K. We are currently using LHTH with the 2.5yo and 5yo and it is great! It is laid out so well, and I am having fun with it!

I have heard so many good things about HOD in general. I plan on using Preparing with the older ones, so I may go ahead and do their LHFHG (their K/1 program) when we finish up LHTH (which is their Preschool type program.)

Although MFW was really fun the first two times around, I don't feel like I have the time to deal with it this year. Every week you have to gather materials on the subject being studied, and the library is needed for many of those subjects. I think HOD would be a better match for us now.

Well what does he like to do? My dd's idea of fun in K5 was art: art table, art supplies, cool art things. She had a table her height with tons of different supplies, books to inspire her (Judy Press, etc.), and plenty of free time. But kids are all different. I'd just look for what turns him on and then give him space and time to do it. Timberdoodle has tons of great stuff. I could see some kids being really into the Complete-a-Sketch books at that age. Kids are just all different. I wouldn't be too formal. Just pick some things you want to do with him that are fun (the Apologia Astronomy book, Usborne book of nature, Usborne magnet books, etc.) and then have them in a pile to work on, 20 minutes each day.

Thanks for the responses and ideas. He really enjoys art of all types and particularly likes painting and making "kid crafts". He loves making stuff out of paper plates or bags and loves to stick googly eyes on stuff. He enjoys workbooks because he feels like he's big and getting to do school. He loves to be read to - so I try to do that as much as I can.

I'm going to look at some of the art ideas and consider FIAR possibly. I do need to figure out a bible component for him - I know he would enjoy that.

We're really enjoying LHFHG here. It's very fun and simple, yet meaty. I find the lessons to be open and go which is very nice. There is very little prep work. The art projects use things you should already have around the house. Each unit, which is 5 days long, has it's own rhyme with motions to learn a key point which is fun for the kids to do. I really that it does all the creative thinking for me as dd really enjoys little crafts, etc, but I'm not so good at coming up with them on my own. The nice thing is all the history lessons, bible, science, and art all tie into each other to make it a cohesive lesson. It doesn't include phonics, and it's really easy to substitute you're own math program as well. There is a math portion that coincides with Singapore Earlybird math, but you could skip it if you want. We are using Horizons as our main math, but dd is enjoying doing the math activities listed in the teacher guide anyway.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

My new Ker LOVES it. :) Plus, it only takes about 40 min or less, for us anyway. She does the little action song, her bible and we do the science and history. It does take longer if she is doing a project like painting, but that isn't too often.

Thanks for the responses and ideas. He really enjoys art of all types and particularly likes painting and making "kid crafts". He loves making stuff out of paper plates or bags and loves to stick googly eyes on stuff. He enjoys workbooks because he feels like he's big and getting to do school. He loves to be read to - so I try to do that as much as I can.

I'm going to look at some of the art ideas and consider FIAR possibly. I do need to figure out a bible component for him - I know he would enjoy that.

Both FIAR and LHFHG have crafts and art. I think FIAR has more of the art (shading, movement, etc with diff mediums) and LHFHG has more of the crafts. Both have Bible, it is built in with LHFHG and you would need the Bible suppliment with FIAR.

Speaking of googly eyes a lady on the FIAR forums said she used them to teach personification! I thought that was sich a hoot and a brilliant idea!

If you use FIAR there is a website called homeschoolshare that has FREE lapbook print outs that go with each of the FIAR books. They look fantastic!

Another one for LHFHG from Heart of Dakota !!!!! You don't have to add in Bible b/c it's all biblically focused and centered. It's loads of fun and only takes 1-1.5 hours per day. You can start phonics and math on your level. For math you have the choice to use what she has scheduled with activities already planned, or use your own. It's an excellent program! I'm doing 2 guides right now with my rising K'er and 3rd grader, already used two other guides last year, and we still love it! I also am doing them both while I have a wild toddler running around and expecting our 4th! It's very doable!

MESSY ARTS & CRAFTS -- "Not just coloring, Mommy. It has to be messy or it doesn't count."

My K'er could paint and and cut and glue ALL DAY LONG. My toddler twins want to join in. What to do? We have scheduled "Messy Art" times, twice a week, just before lunch (when they are going to have to get washed up, anyway), and after lunch, it's Read Aloud, then NAP. All the paints, brushes, glue, paper, scissors, and other items are in plastic bins on top of the fridge. She has also enjoyed the Kumon Cutting, Kumon Pasting Jigsaw Puzzles, and Kumon Crafts books. These provide activities that have a beginning and an end (!), for when you have a limit to the time available for crafts.

MUSIC & AUDIOBOOKS

All my girls enjoy listening, singing, and marching to music. We have many of the Wee Sing and Cedarmont Kids CDs. I've loaded them onto the computer, so I can make playlists to coincide with whatever songs/theme I want to concentrate on that week. We have playlists for marching, bugs, ducks, weather, worship, patriotic songs, and so on. Perhaps for your K'er you could schedule a "Music & Signing Time" 1-2x/week. Use this time to learn a specific song, or just sing and march! :001_smile: Music IS fun!

Another resource that my K'er, especially, enjoys has been listening to audiobooks at bedtime. She seems to REALLY like the type that are entire books read by a single narrator. She does NOT like the kind that are "dramatized" (we suppose it's because they're too hyper for bedtime?). Tantor Media Audiobooks has great selections (check your library for them):

http://www.tantor.com/BookList.asp?Genre=Childrens

TOYS & GAMES

I agree with the poster who recommended Timberdoodle as a resource for creating a "fun Kindergarten year." Rainbow Resource is another great place to find "stuff." IMO, in Kindergarten, play is not only fun, but it's an essential part of being a child and learning. Perhaps you could invest in a few Timberdoodle-type toys/games that your son plays with only during "school time," while you are working with your older sons.

BIBLE & CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE

For our Bible & theology, we do this: (1) Each week, read 3 stories from the DK Children's Illustrated Bible; and (2) Each week, read 2 lessons from Leading Little Ones to God. That's it. I just move the book marks up as I read to the girls, I don't schedule anything. We also do some Bible memory work. HTH.

I have my Ker pick something they really want to do and we build that in for the afternoon. Dress up class, baking class (can you tell I have girls?), "building class" (blocks of all kinds to build & knock down), and art have all been incorporated at one time or another. My Child #2 loves to draw and color, so she spent much of her K year doing that (sometimes it was part of big sis's history/science & sometimes her own thing).

We tried to do 20-30 minutes of K "fun" stuff in the afternoon every day when the other things were done. Sometimes it happened, sometimes it didn't. But we tried.

It didn't cost much energy or money on my part except for clean-up. :tongue_smilie:

To get motivated, I would plan out a few weeks/months ahead of time - choose the book-of-the-week and activities for each week, have the materials ready, etc. Get a map that is "his" map to put on the wall and mark with his books.

Oh, and I'll bet the olders will want to listen in!

To get motivated, I would plan out a few weeks/months ahead of time - choose the book-of-the-week and activities for each week, have the materials ready, etc. Get a map that is "his" map to put on the wall and mark with his books.

Oh, and I'll bet the olders will want to listen in!

This is such great advise. I think the key for making K fun for a 3rd child is to be ready in advance. I find that the "hecticness" of life tends to take over when I do not prepare. Then we end up doing very little.

One thing that I am going to do to prepare for next year is put together little book and activity baskets. We are going to buy a shelf from Ikea, you know the big ones that have lots of squares? I am going to pre-pick a bunch of books and little activities and have them in baskets on the shelf ready to go. This is one of my summer projects.

We already have so many great books, so it isn't that I *need* to buy more. But if I don't take the time to plan them out, I know they may just sit there. This way, I'm hoping to implement some more intentional story times with my little ones. I guess it's my way of trying to enjoy Sonlight 3/4 or 4/5 without buying it, lol!

I couldn't imagine doing a whole separate program with my Ker. He likes to have some scheduled one on one time with me each day, but he also likes to feel like he's included in what the girls are doing. Beyond the basics, I'm putting together a list of books to read just with him at a specified time each day. It will be some literature, some history, and some science since my girls will be doing more of their own reading next year. For activities, I'm looking online and making a list ahead of time to help make sure that we get things done. He'll have his own Bible coloring book from Calvary Chapel's free pages, and I'll try to pick one Bible related art/craft project per week (ie. for creation we're going to make gingerbread Adam and Eve cookies). I'll also do some simple history projects (ie. building a lego pyramid) as we cover those topics. I find that just by jotting down the ideas ahead of time so I'm not scrambling at the last minute we do fine without a separate program. HTH

Get something super fun like Winterpromise I'm Ready to Learn or Animal Worlds or a music program (I am looking at Calvert) and have the other kids do it with him. They will all love it.

I'm Ready to Learn would be my choice. I have seen reviews from homeschoolers who had 8 and 9 year olds joining in on the fun. It is also more do-able than other programs. For Bible MFW 1 looks like the best. Maybe you could pick up the reader and the TM used so that you could do the activities to go with Bible stories?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Have you seen Winter Promise's Hideaways in History? This could be something that your older boys might benefit from and do with their K'er brother, while still having enough for your K'er that's "just his own." It involves read alouds and building/constructing special places -- the artsy/craftsy side of your #3 son? Just a thought. HTH.

Thanks for more thoughts - admittedly I'm a an ex-winterpromise user and doubtful to go back. :) I do own Animal Worlds and could do that with my son but I'm not ready to work on it again - I did (most of) it with my 2nd son for kinder and it's too soon for me. HIH I owned and sold - it wasn't a bit hit for me.

There seems to be a lot of hype about HOD, I'll look there a bit - I'm not sure if I want something that "big" iykwim.

My kinder guy will mostly likely sit in on whatever my son #2 is doing cause he just likes to - but I feel compelled to do some fun things with him as well, things that are just for him. I am one of those homeschoolers that has mommy guilt over the fact that the littles never really get something just for them - they are always tagalongs to a program older than what they need (or at least that's how I feel...).

I do agree with the poster above on the planning - I think that is where I've failed in the past. I need to figure out what I want to do and actually prepare instead of trying to wing it. Too often the day feels long, I lost steam and it's easy to skip the non-essentials.

I don't want him to just tag along on our history studies and not have anything that is his own - but neither do I have time to do some complicated curriculum.

If you have the Story of the World activity books, you could make him copies of the coloring pages to do while he listens to you read.