Menu

Is there anything you like better than Rod and Staff for English/Grammar?

My oldest two kids will be in 3rd and 5th grades next year. They have not had a lot of grammar. We have been using Sonlight's newer LA programs and they do not do very much with grammar.

So far, I am planning on using Rod and Staff English levels 3 and 4 for next year. But since I am not very familiar with it, I wanted to double check if there is anything else I should be considering. Thanks for your help!

Edited by WhereHopeGrows

I like Rod and Staff, but I also think Shurley is good, if you want parsing instead of diagramming and don't mind jingles to help memorize grammar material. Personally, I find the Queen's Homeschool stuff too light. I know many find Growing With Grammar right up their alley, but I am sticking with Rod and Staff because it's thorough, it incorporates writing (tho I may change some of the subjects of the essays and whatnot), and it includes diagramming (and WTM recommends it).

Our boys are not workbook learners, so we did not go the R&S route. They very easily and successfully used:

Grammar Instruction

- Winston Grammar Basic, Wordworks, and Advanced (more visual/hands-on approach)

Grammar Mechanics/Editing Practice

- Write Source workbooks

- Take Five Minutes: A History Fact a Day for Editing

- Editor in Chief

- Giggles in the Middle; The Chortling Bard

- Sonlight-type of dictations I made to reinforce grammar concepts and grammar mechanics

Grammar Supplements

- Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar

- Mad Libs

- Grammar Ad Libs

- online grammar games

- Comicstrip Grammar

BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

FLL 3 & 4 would be perfect for your dc, in terms of level and pacing. My oldest used R&S3, flamed out with it, and was behind in grammar, even though language is her strong suit. We switched to FLL and have never looked back.

There's lots of review, some poetry memorization, dictation, and plenty of hand-holding for the diagramming. I strongly prefer the scope and sequence of FLL to R&S for the diagramming. I think it's much less confusing for students. I also prefer the layout. It's much cleaner and less cluttered.

It's also scripted, so if you're not sure how to teach grammar, you have help. I'm stronger in grammar, so I heavily modify the script so I'm talking and explaining, rather than reading the script.

FWIW, Sonlight NEVER had much of a grammar program IMHO. I tried it long ago and sold it about half-way thru the year because all I did was read read read, and my daughter didn't do much of anything but listen. I was hoarse after every school day.

Enough lamenting over Sonlight. I know lots of people like it, so more power to them, I suppose. :)

I think R & S is an excellent program. I have some of their materials.

But...I love CLE's LA program because:

1. Spiral approach

2. Covers every area of English thoroughly; there are no weak areas IMHO.

3. Gentle approach with little "extras" that make it interesting to learn. For ex, this week the daughter was telling me about where the word "sandwich" came from, among other things. (12 yo's think about food constantly...)

4. diagramming. She can now diagram truly scary sentences with ease and she actually knows what ea part of speech is and uses diagramming on occasion to figure out what a sentence isn't "working" for her.

5. As the child ages, the child becomes more independent and can work on their own. Not a big deal to me because I like to teach and have the time, but some folks need this for obvious reasons. It teaches the child to work independently and this is important. Let's face it--in college, no one will be holding their hand and following them around to see if they did their work.

I could go on, but if you're interested in a complete program, then you might consider CLE's LA. Also, their separate Reading program is very good, also. She has learned so much literary analysis, terms, vocabulary this year, it's incredible. My husband has a degree in Economics and is very well read (you should see the stuff that he reads), and he was really impressed at the vocabulary and spelling, etc in these programs. He said most adults don't know these words, and just shook his head and said she won't have any problem with the SAT, etc. And this is just the 700 level...

Kim

My oldest two kids will be in 3rd and 5th grades next year. They have not had a lot of grammar. We have been using Sonlight's newer LA programs and they do not do very much with grammar.

So far, I am planning on using Rod and Staff English levels 3 and 4 for next year. But since I am not very familiar with it, I wanted to double check if there is anything else I should be considering. Thanks for your help!

Edited by titianmom

I like R & S, but it's not a good fit for our guys. They are "Just the facts, ma'am." type of fellas. We also tried Growing with Grammar and had the same results.

We have had great success with both FLL and Winston Grammar (for grammar only) and I've seen the fruits from both.

We've also have enjoyed BJU for Writing. The composition assignments are broken up over several days with excellent samples and instruction within the student worktext.

My 2 cents,

Edited by angela&4boys

FLL=First Language Lessons by Jessie Wise. Given the number of kids you have and how busy you are, I'd lean toward something rather workbooky that you can assign and be done with. I like Shurley, but I only teach one plus a baby. I like it a LOT, but it's certainly not the only thing. It's teacher-driven and even pruned down quite a bit takes us 10-15 minutes a day, and that's totally time spent with me helping her. FLL would be fine for you. Easy Grammar would be another to consider. Britta of http://www.morningstarlearning.com uses a lot of the same things you do (I used to use SWR, so that's why I noticed), and uses Easy Grammar with her pack of similarly spaced kids. It might be a really sensible, easy-to-implement option for you.

The other option people haven't mentioned here is that your writing program could cover grammar (say Writing Tales), leaving you then to need just a light dose. And personally, I'd probably consider keeping those two together, if they're really close in age. There's so much repetition to grammar, you'd be fine. If you want to look at Shurley, you could do say the grade 4 and do it with both of them. Take your time, and do gr 4, then 6, then 7, just spacing them out comfortably. Yes, you can skip grades with Shurley! In that way you could keep your kids together, have one session, and not need to do grammar so strictly every single day to get through it. If you did Shurley 4 plus Writing Tales, you might have a really great combo. That's what we did one year, and they were great together. You don't have to do the jingles for Shurley, mercy. And for diagramming, we just use a small whiteboard and pick one of the sentences each day to diagram, no biggee.

I think it's more important that you're practical (and possibly combine) than anything. Any of these grammar curricula people have been mentioning will be fine. As long as you're doing SOMETHING now, you can hit it harder later when they're older.

What levels of FLL would we do? For Rod and Staff, I've determined 3 and 4 would be appropriate if they are not combined.

And, can someone help me understand which programs would be best for each of my kids? I may be able to combine them, but I am not sure. My almost 10yo daughter is highly motivated and independent, and my 8yo son is less motivated and much more interested in math and science than English! I will look into combining them if I can, but if not, which programs would be better for:

10dd highly motivated but behind in grammer. Loves inspiration/rhymes, but also enjoys the challenge of completing workbook pages.

8ds doesn't need/want a lot of repetition, not as motivated. More logically minded. Still finds the actual act of writing with a pencil to be challenging when it's too much writing.

For writing, we'll get that covered as part of HOD Preparing. For spelling I'm trying to get up the courage to figure out SWR. I really think my kids would benefit from using it. I have it, but have not started it yet. So, the plan is to use SWR with them, along with whichever English programs we end up with.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Do you think I am crazy for wanting to attempt SWR? I really think my 5yo will benefit from this. And, I think my older kids would too. I haven't started it yet.

FLL=First Language Lessons by Jessie Wise. Given the number of kids you have and how busy you are, I'd lean toward something rather workbooky that you can assign and be done with. I like Shurley, but I only teach one plus a baby. I like it a LOT, but it's certainly not the only thing. It's teacher-driven and even pruned down quite a bit takes us 10-15 minutes a day, and that's totally time spent with me helping her. FLL would be fine for you. Easy Grammar would be another to consider. Britta of www.morningstarlearning.com uses a lot of the same things you do (I used to use SWR, so that's why I noticed), and uses Easy Grammar with her pack of similarly spaced kids. It might be a really sensible, easy-to-implement option for you.

I've used it since 3rd grade for both of mine except for that one year we strayed to Calvert for my dd. She learned absolutely no grammar that year and begged to go back and do the R&S that she missed before moving on to the next book. We love it and I learned my lesson to not even bother trying anything else.

Sure you're fine to do SWR with them, but you just need to deal with your own learning curve. Actually implementing it with them is not a problem at all. I taught my dd to read with SWR, and the results were so good I plan to use it again with my new little one. I have a Quick & Dirty Guide to Starting SWR on Lulu.com (free) or I think the newest editions of SWR have more getting started helps. I corresponded quite a bit with Sanseri when I was writing my guide (way back when, 5 years ago, haha), and she made changes in her intro material to make it easier to get up and running. So yes, if you have the time and gump to learn the method, you absolutely could implement it with your kids.

My dd is 10 and doesn't like workbooks. Since yours does, I suggest you use them! R&S has a workbook that is cheap, around $2.50. Easy Grammar is a workbook. Find some grammar that is a workbook and be done with it. And honestly, for a 10 yo workbook-lover, as long as she's not remedial or struggling, I'd probably just put her in a workbook for spelling too and be done with it. Don't be too perfectionist about this. There are sneaky ways to buff up the spelling of an older dc without actually putting them through SWR. You could have her drill phonograms and play spelling review games with your 5 yo, letting her learn and saving you time to boot. When my dd was 5, I kept an index card box with alphabet dividers and wrote the words from the lists onto the cards. (A list words in the A section, that sort of thing.) Your older dc can listen to your 5 yo read through his words, or they can use the words to drill the spelling and play games (Mother May I, moving forward for each correct spelling, etc.). They can drill the phonogram flashcards with your 5 yo. I laminated the cheat sheet (rules on one side, phonograms on the other) that came with the SWR rules set. Did you find that? I laminated it with heavy laminating and used it as a bookmark in the Wise Guide, handy reference while playing games, etc. So your older dc can bear some of the burden for you and buff up their own knowledge too; the teacher always learns more than the student. :)

For your 8 yo ds, I suggest you look for posts by one_l_michele and people with boys. I have a girl, and my boy is a baby. Boys seem to be a really different critter, and personality matters. If you want to use something middle of the road and appeal to everyone, that's certainly an option. Then you're looking at something like BJU, something that works with lots of different modalities and appeals to different learner types. If you want to customize and do something different for each dc, that's an option too. I don't have a lot of kids, so I don't know if that would drive me insane or not. :) My dd is generally pencil phobic (just going by what I've heard other people here describe as pencil phobic), and Shurley works for us. But Shurley is teacher-driven.

On the plus side, once you really key into how your dc learns, you get a few years reprieve where you keep just doing the next thing. So if Easy Grammar or R&S fits your oldest dd, you could just get her on that and keep going. And if Shurley or Winston or something fits your ds, then that will give you several years where you just keep going with the next level. Once you find your groove with them, you'll be good.

I don't know what HOD Preparing has for writing, have just glanced at it a little on their website. You might look at WWE, doing it fully with your 8 yo and using it to fill any holes in skills (as needed) with your 10 yo. I'm doing it with my dd and like it a LOT. Then you could have your dd outline the Guerber text Preparing uses, since outlining is the 5th gr WTM skill for writing. Just a thought. Guerber is a popular choice for outlining, and you're using it anyway... It's not hard. Basically you just have her write a summary sentence for each paragraph, and you go into deeper levels of outlining as she becomes more capable. But WWE is a great foundation for that, so easy to implement. Did you know SWB (author of WTM) has several boys? You might find FLL 3 would be right for your ds8. It wasn't out in time for my dd, so I haven't used it. I'm just assuming it's boy-friendly.

This is very helpful! Thank you so much for your time and for your thoughtful posts. You are an answer to prayer. I am so tired right now (in the beginning of a pregnancy) and having trouble thinking clearly, lol! Thank you so much for helping me think this through. :001_smile:

God bless you!

Sure you're fine to do SWR with them, but you just need to deal with your own learning curve. Actually implementing it with them is not a problem at all. I taught my dd to read with SWR, and the results were so good I plan to use it again with my new little one. I have a Quick & Dirty Guide to Starting SWR on Lulu.com (free) or I think the newest editions of SWR have more getting started helps. I corresponded quite a bit with Sanseri when I was writing my guide (way back when, 5 years ago, haha), and she made changes in her intro material to make it easier to get up and running. So yes, if you have the time and gump to learn the method, you absolutely could implement it with your kids.

My dd is 10 and doesn't like workbooks. Since yours does, I suggest you use them! R&S has a workbook that is cheap, around $2.50. Easy Grammar is a workbook. Find some grammar that is a workbook and be done with it. And honestly, for a 10 yo workbook-lover, as long as she's not remedial or struggling, I'd probably just put her in a workbook for spelling too and be done with it. Don't be too perfectionist about this. There are sneaky ways to buff up the spelling of an older dc without actually putting them through SWR. You could have her drill phonograms and play spelling review games with your 5 yo, letting her learn and saving you time to boot. When my dd was 5, I kept an index card box with alphabet dividers and wrote the words from the lists onto the cards. (A list words in the A section, that sort of thing.) Your older dc can listen to your 5 yo read through his words, or they can use the words to drill the spelling and play games (Mother May I, moving forward for each correct spelling, etc.). They can drill the phonogram flashcards with your 5 yo. I laminated the cheat sheet (rules on one side, phonograms on the other) that came with the SWR rules set. Did you find that? I laminated it with heavy laminating and used it as a bookmark in the Wise Guide, handy reference while playing games, etc. So your older dc can bear some of the burden for you and buff up their own knowledge too; the teacher always learns more than the student. :)

For your 8 yo ds, I suggest you look for posts by one_l_michele and people with boys. I have a girl, and my boy is a baby. Boys seem to be a really different critter, and personality matters. If you want to use something middle of the road and appeal to everyone, that's certainly an option. Then you're looking at something like BJU, something that works with lots of different modalities and appeals to different learner types. If you want to customize and do something different for each dc, that's an option too. I don't have a lot of kids, so I don't know if that would drive me insane or not. :) My dd is generally pencil phobic (just going by what I've heard other people here describe as pencil phobic), and Shurley works for us. But Shurley is teacher-driven.

On the plus side, once you really key into how your dc learns, you get a few years reprieve where you keep just doing the next thing. So if Easy Grammar or R&S fits your oldest dd, you could just get her on that and keep going. And if Shurley or Winston or something fits your ds, then that will give you several years where you just keep going with the next level. Once you find your groove with them, you'll be good.

I don't know what HOD Preparing has for writing, have just glanced at it a little on their website. You might look at WWE, doing it fully with your 8 yo and using it to fill any holes in skills (as needed) with your 10 yo. I'm doing it with my dd and like it a LOT. Then you could have your dd outline the Guerber text Preparing uses, since outlining is the 5th gr WTM skill for writing. Just a thought. Guerber is a popular choice for outlining, and you're using it anyway... It's not hard. Basically you just have her write a summary sentence for each paragraph, and you go into deeper levels of outlining as she becomes more capable. But WWE is a great foundation for that, so easy to implement. Did you know SWB (author of WTM) has several boys? You might find FLL 3 would be right for your ds8. It wasn't out in time for my dd, so I haven't used it. I'm just assuming it's boy-friendly.

3 and 5. In theory I love it, but reality is another issue altogether.

It's very complete and very dry. Both years, one time in late winter the other in early spring, we've burned out on it.

As long as your approaching it knowing what you're getting into, you should be fine. If you're looking for something more enjoyable and less time consuming, you may want to rethink it.

What would you recommend instead? If you have a chance, see above where I describe my 8yo and my almost 10yo. Thanks!

3 and 5. In theory I love it, but reality is another issue altogether.

It's very complete and very dry. Both years, one time in late winter the other in early spring, we've burned out on it.

As long as your approaching it knowing what you're getting into, you should be fine. If you're looking for something more enjoyable and less time consuming, you may want to rethink it.

I've got five kids, and no way would I do SWR. I'm trying to find more curricula that take less of my time, not more. As much as I love FLL, I'm relieved that my oldest will be doing independent grammar next year. Even the stuff I look for that takes mommy face time is open-and-go, for the most part. (I'm doing TOG, and that hasn't gone nearly as well as I'd hoped.)

My pair o' pennies.

Have you ever considered HOD? I looked at TOG and said the same thing you are saying about SWR, lol! I said, oh that looks wonderful, but no way! HOD seems like one of the more user friendly choices out there. What are you using next year?

I've got five kids, and no way would I do SWR. I'm trying to find more curricula that take less of my time, not more. As much as I love FLL, I'm relieved that my oldest will be doing independent grammar next year. Even the stuff I look for that takes mommy face time is open-and-go, for the most part. (I'm doing TOG, and that hasn't gone nearly as well as I'd hoped.)

My pair o' pennies.

bump This is really a great thread for me as I have to decide for mine. I am learning...finally that anything that requires lots of mom time better be in the subjects that count.

Edited by Guest

Well, when all the hubbub about TOG transitioning to DE was going on, dh and I decided to give TOG one more year. The main problem I had with TOG this year was that I planned one unit, had a baby, and then didn't have enough time to plan any more. I took an extra week at Easter to throw together some stuff for the end of the year, and we're doing some when we can.

I'm going to plan the entire year, make true workbooks for my kids so they can do stuff independently (they're at Grandma's house several times a week), and see how it goes. If next year doesn't work out in spite of all that, then I think I'll switch back to straight WTM or some other option.

I haven't looked at Heart of Dakota, since I've had TOG. Not really sure I want to, kwim? LOL.

I like almost anything better than R&S. We found it dull and ineffective. I love Analytical Grammar and it's younger version Junior Analytical Grammar.

Heather

Well, I guess if I find this to be true, I can always re-sell it. I did purchase level 4 for my oldest. I am looking into FLL 3, and other options for my to-be 3rd grader.

I have heard of Analytical grammar. A friend of mine is going to use it. I may look into that too. Do you have any more to say about it, as compared to other options? Teacher intensive/independent? How much work is it for the student compared to others? How effective?

unsinkable....

So if my 5th grader did JAG last year, would you recommend she do R&S 5 or 6 in 6th grade? I have both, and planned on her doing 6th, but I keep reading how we can't miss 5th...

Thanks. :001_smile:

I would do 5th and do most of the lessons orally. It is just way too much writing, IMHO. My kids did about 10 sentences/day OR a worksheet.

R&S has great review. If you do the review every day, you'll know how well your child is retaining the lessons, I think.

We only did the grammar lessons, not the writing lessons. There are about 100, so you could finish the 5th grade & start the 6th grade in one year, if you want.

Also, in the TE, each new idea is starred so you can see what is new in each book. That might help you decide where to start. It can also help you if you want to do the 5th gr. book and then move quickly thru the 6th grade book.

We haven't used either, but I had planned on using R&S next year for second grade. When I went and looked at it at the convention, I changed my mind because it looked so dry and uninspiring. Please note, I have not used the program, that was just my inital impression. So, on my quest to find something as academically solid/Biblical yet more child-friendly, I discovered Christian Light Education. I am going to look at them in hand next week, and unless there is something MAJORLY different than what I am expecting, that is what we are going with.

FWIW, my 6.5 yr old/1st grader has been doing 3rd grade Growing with Grammar very easily but placed MUCH lower on the CLE Diagnostic test. He told me he could "feel his brain growing" during the diagostic test! :tongue_smilie:

HTH!

I just re-read this whole post. I wanted to jot down some notes so I don't forget what I'm thinking, lol! I am considering:

Rod and Staff: http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Building_Christian_English_Series/

First Language Lessons: http://www.peacehillpress.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25

Christian Light Education: http://www.clp.org/store/by_subject/3

Junior Analyitical Grammar (for 4th/5th Grader): http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/index.php/analytical-products/set-of-junior-analytical-grammar.html

Additional Suggestions to look into if needed:

Shurley Grammar

Bob Jones

5th Grader:

Rod and Staff 4

Junior Analyitical Grammar

First Language Lessons 4

CLE

3rd Grader:

First Language Lessons 3

WWE

OK, that just helped me clear my head. :)