Menu

Vegan/vegetarian familes, help with my 4 & 6 year old's diet

My 4 & 6 year old's do not like beans or lentils. A typical meal for us is some type of bean or lentil with a grain or starch such as brown rice or potatoes and veggies. They will eat the grain/starch and veggie but wont touch the beans or lentils. I have tried a variety of dishes and also figured in time they would get used to it.

We do not eat any soy and no fake meats or anything like that. They do eat eggs, cheese, yogurt, PNBT and drink milk, but I am worried that they aren't getting enough protein. After reading the China Study I wanted to stop the cheese and milk products, but until/unless they start eating a better variety I don't think it's possible.

Honestly, I am getting ready to throw in the towel and start serving meat again. Any ideas?

Why no soy? Are there allergies or do you have issues with it?

I have an almost 3yo that is essentially a vegan. (note: I am not a vegan) He has severe allergies to milk and egg, and he refuses to eat all forms of meat. He is quite healthy and is nicely filled out with chubby toddler legs and all that. He has high energy and is rarely sick - so I think he's doing well. He will not eat beans (I wish!) and his forms of protein are:

soymilk (realize this doesn't work for you)

sunbutter (like peanut butter but made of sunflower seeds)

almond milk

toffuti (soy based cream cheese like product)

and then the protein in his whole grain bread and crackers. I would guess that his soymilk fills his protein needs.

I would guess they are getting plenty of protein now from their dairy and peanut butter. But I would be hesitant to take them off eggs and cheese when they won't eat beans and can't do soymilk.

Well, for the mean time, if they're eating eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, I think you're doing fine...

Will they eat beans in another sort of preparation, like small falafel balls (you can make your own by grinding chick peas and spices, or there are some dry mixes that aren't too terrible and could save you time if you were making them just for the little ones) with a tahini or yogurt-based dipping sauce? I'm thinking maybe falafel would hide both the beany taste *and* texture pretty well... (You don't have to deep fry them, btw -- it's possible to pan fry or even bake them.)

Or what about beans (pintos or black beans with Mexican-style spices, or chick peas for hummus) blended with spices and served as a dip for raw veggies, whole grain crackers, or chips?

And assuming they have no food allergies, I'd probably vary up the nut butters offered to them, so they aren't eating peanut butter every day...

Thank you for the ideas. We have chosen to avoid soy after researching it some. I forgot that they well eat hummus, so that's a plus! I do like the idea of trying different beans to make dips and they love veggies, so this might be a way to sneak some in. As far as other nut butters, which would be a good choice to try first? I am not sure what falafel is, but I will look for recipes on allrecipes and see what I can find.

Falafel are balls of ground up chick peas (or fava beans -- but I'm not a fan of fava beans, lol) and spices that are then fried. Usually served in a pita with lettuce and tomato and tahini dressing...

But they're pretty versatile, and if you look online, you'll find a variety of recipes and instructions for pan-frying patties (instead of deep frying balls), or baking...

For your purposes, I'd probably make very small ones (perhaps pan-fried, if you don't mind that much oil for the little ones), and provide a yogurt or tahini sauce for dipping.

You can also check your grocery store to see if they have any dried mixes. There are some decent ones that just have the dried chick pea and seasoning mixture without anything else awful thrown in. You just mix with water, let stand for a few minutes, then bake or pan fry.

Falafel are balls of ground up chick peas (or fava beans -- but I'm not a fan of fava beans, lol) and spices that are then fried. Usually served in a pita with lettuce and tomato and tahini dressing...

But they're pretty versatile, and if you look online, you'll find a variety of recipes and instructions for pan-frying patties (instead of deep frying balls), or baking...

For your purposes, I'd probably make very small ones (perhaps pan-fried, if you don't mind that much oil for the little ones), and provide a yogurt or tahini sauce for dipping.

You can also check your grocery store to see if they have any dried mixes. There are some decent ones that just have the dried chick pea and seasoning mixture without anything else awful thrown in. You just mix with water, let stand for a few minutes, then bake or pan fry.

Thanks again! I will check at the HFS and see if they have the packet of mix. I did find a few recipes to try too.

How do you cook the beans -- do you cook them in some kind of sauce? The typical American example is something like baked beans, or chili with beans. I find baked beans to be too sweet, but I do like saucy beans. Some people like cold bean salads; the dressing and crunch create interest. Indian "treatment" of beans is good, not so plain and bean-y.

The other thing you could consider is the texture. Would they prefer something mashed/smooth versus the entire bean? Some things (like orange/red/yellow lentils in particular) break down easily while others (like kidney beans and brown lentils) seem to really hold on to their shapes!

http://showmethecurry.com/ has some interesting recipes, and you can watch videos of the ladies cooking.

I often use hemp seed to top out a meal. We are not vegan but we try to do very limited meat. Hemp is pretty high in protein so I just sprinkle it on top of meals that need protein.

Sunbutter is a delicious pb sub as well. We get the organic unsweetened version and add xylitol to make it yummy.

I don't think that the concerns with dairy surfaced in the China study necessarily apply to those with Northern European or Kenyen ancestry. I would take that part with a grain of salt if you and your DH are mostly one of those. Just sayin'.

No kidding; the traditional Masai diet is blood, meat, and milk.

I feel very favorable toward these two books, both of which should help you a lot with planning a safe, non-crazy, healthy, and enjoyable vegan and/or vegetarian diet for your family:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Vegan-Complete-Adopting-Plant-Based/dp/1570671036/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245024958&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/New-Becoming-Vegetarian-Essential-Healthy/dp/1570671443/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245024958&sr=8-2

I own both, and recommend them often. One author holds an M.S. and an R.D., the other author holds an R.D.

A vegan diet is far more varied than what you listed, too ! If you would like additional titles (for actual cookbooks), feel free to PM me and I shall send you as many titles as you wish of books I own and like. We are Orthodox Christians, so follow a vegan diet for about 2/3 of the year. During the rest of the year, I eat dairy and some fish. (The rest of my family consume meat and poultry also during that 1/3 of the year.)

I don't know what is the "China Study", so can't respond to that.

I don't know your reasons for avoiding soy, but if you have any daughters, I can't scream loudly enough in support of your choice. Soy ruined my daughter's endocrine system, and I'm still furious about it.

I live in the part of the country with lots of vegetarians, so this may not apply to where others are, but I get falafel balls at Costco, and they're great with pitas and tahini, or with hummus, all of which (except tahini) we get at Costco.

I have heard of some of the concerns with soy, and I have sons, but does this apply to having it occasionally? Although we're not strictly veg, we eat Indian/Thai a lot and usually get tofu. But it isn't daily for the kids.

We've been trying to do more vegetables and fruit (joined a CSA) and getting away from an entree per se, which means we're not looking for the meat as much. I'm not sure we could ever give up dairy though, since that does end up being a lot of our protein.:001_smile:

powder in the health food store the other day. It doesn't have as much protein as the whey I was using, but I'm considering the rice protein as an option. Would that work to make a protein shake for them?

Even in quesadillas or burritos? My kids like beans rolled up in tortillas with veggies and salsa and a variety of other toppings. You can even make your own "refried beans" that are all mashed up, though maybe you have tried that already.

Have you tried seitan? More nuts and seeds.

Don't forget that pretty much everything has protein in it, in varying amounts, and that humans need far less protein than we actually think we need. If you are protein-deficient, you end up with a disease called kwashiorkor. That's the disease that you see in famine victims when they have a very protruding belly. Have you ever known anyone in the US who fell victim to kwashiorkor? In order to be protein deficient, one essentially has to be starving.

Too much protein stresses the kidneys.

I listen to a podcast by a vegan woman named Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. She cautions people against getting paranoid about certain vitamins or nutrients and looking instead at the overall diet. Grains and leafy green veggies are the most important things. They do have protein in them, without all the damaging side effects of animal products.

I would caution you to avoid specialized protein powders/drinks and the like. Food and nutrients are made to work in synergy, not in isolation.

My kids are vegan and my dd is allergic to soy and my kids are extremely healthy.

Tara

I feel very favorable toward these two books, both of which should help you a lot with planning a safe, non-crazy, healthy, and enjoyable vegan and/or vegetarian diet for your family:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Vegan-Complete-Adopting-Plant-Based/dp/1570671036/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245024958&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/New-Becoming-Vegetarian-Essential-Healthy/dp/1570671443/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245024958&sr=8-2

I own both, and recommend them often. One author holds an M.S. and an R.D., the other author holds an R.D.

A vegan diet is far more varied than what you listed, too ! If you would like additional titles (for actual cookbooks), feel free to PM me and I shall send you as many titles as you wish of books I own and like. We are Orthodox Christians, so follow a vegan diet for about 2/3 of the year. During the rest of the year, I eat dairy and some fish. (The rest of my family consume meat and poultry also during that 1/3 of the year.)

I don't know what is the "China Study", so can't respond to that.

I don't know your reasons for avoiding soy, but if you have any daughters, I can't scream loudly enough in support of your choice. Soy ruined my daughter's endocrine system, and I'm still furious about it.

We do eat more varied that what I listed. I wanted to ive a general idea of what our diet consisted of and that we don't eat a lot of processed foods, no real junk ( or atleast we try not too lol) no soy etc.

I live in the part of the country with lots of vegetarians, so this may not apply to where others are, but I get falafel balls at Costco, and they're great with pitas and tahini, or with hummus, all of which (except tahini) we get at Costco.

I will check at our SAMS. Thanks!

Even in quesadillas or burritos? My kids like beans rolled up in tortillas with veggies and salsa and a variety of other toppings. You can even make your own "refried beans" that are all mashed up, though maybe you have tried that already.

Have you tried seitan? More nuts and seeds.

They have eaten seitan and did OK with it. Didn't love it, but did eat it. As far as quesadillas or burritos they only want cheese in them. sigh. I do make my own refried beans but they don't like them. Maybe I should try spreading( aka sneaking lol) just a tiny bit on the burrito and adding cheese, veggies etc and they wont notice.

Edited by Quiver0f10

How do you cook the beans -- do you cook them in some kind of sauce? The typical American example is something like baked beans, or chili with beans. I find baked beans to be too sweet, but I do like saucy beans. Some people like cold bean salads; the dressing and crunch create interest. Indian "treatment" of beans is good, not so plain and bean-y.

The other thing you could consider is the texture. Would they prefer something mashed/smooth versus the entire bean? Some things (like orange/red/yellow lentils in particular) break down easily while others (like kidney beans and brown lentils) seem to really hold on to their shapes!

http://showmethecurry.com/ has some interesting recipes, and you can watch videos of the ladies cooking.

I have tried many different varieties and textures from mashed to whole. Spicey to plain. They just don't like them. I think I am going to have to sneak them in until they acquire a taste.

powder in the health food store the other day. It doesn't have as much protein as the whey I was using, but I'm considering the rice protein as an option. Would that work to make a protein shake for them?

I do have rice protein poweder here. I didn't think of trying it with them. Good idea, thanks!

I often use hemp seed to top out a meal. We are not vegan but we try to do very limited meat. Hemp is pretty high in protein so I just sprinkle it on top of meals that need protein.

Sunbutter is a delicious pb sub as well. We get the organic unsweetened version and add xylitol to make it yummy.

I will look for some hemp seed at the HFS. Thanks!

Edited by Quiver0f10

What is Kenyen ancestry? You mean, from the small country of Kenya? As in Kenyan? Or do you mean African?

Dawn

I don't think that the concerns with dairy surfaced in the China study necessarily apply to those with Northern European or Kenyen ancestry. I would take that part with a grain of salt if you and your DH are mostly one of those. Just sayin'.

Don't forget that pretty much everything has protein in it, in varying amounts, and that humans need far less protein than we actually think we need. If you are protein-deficient, you end up with a disease called kwashiorkor. That's the disease that you see in famine victims when they have a very protruding belly. Have you ever known anyone in the US who fell victim to kwashiorkor? In order to be protein deficient, one essentially has to be starving.

Too much protein stresses the kidneys.

I listen to a podcast by a vegan woman named Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. She cautions people against getting paranoid about certain vitamins or nutrients and looking instead at the overall diet. Grains and leafy green veggies are the most important things. They do have protein in them, without all the damaging side effects of animal products.

I would caution you to avoid specialized protein powders/drinks and the like. Food and nutrients are made to work in synergy, not in isolation.

My kids are vegan and my dd is allergic to soy and my kids are extremely healthy.

Tara

Thanks for the reminder. I know they don't need as much protein as most sites recommend. I think I might keep track for a few days and see what they are averaging. I bet they are eating plenty of protein afterall. I just want them to eat/like bean and other type dishes.

We have switched from soymilk to almond and rice milk.

Dawn

I use rice milk in cooking and for smoothies , but it would be too expensive for my family to switch over for daily drinking. I have seen recipes for making it, but I haven't tried it yet.

What is Kenyen ancestry? You mean, from the small country of Kenya? As in Kenyan? Or do you mean African?

Dawn

I don't mean African.

Many people of African ancestry are unable to digest milk and dairy products. However, in Kenya, because it was a society that was somewhat based on cows as a source of food, a human mutation occurred to allow milk digestion, the same as it did in Northern Europe.

In the China Study none of the people studied were vegetarian or vegan. So I'm stumped.

They eat less red meat, but lots more fish broth and fish. What I get from the China Study book is to eat more plant foods, not no meat ever.

There are few traditional Chinese recipes which do not start with at least a meat broth, if not some meat. If the people they researched eat soy (miso, tofu, soybeans etc) and fish and meats and broths, and many plant foods, how is this translating into North Americans eating no meat or dairy whatsoever? If the health of these folks is good because of the foods and food combinations they are eating, how does going to a vegan/ no soy diet make sense of that study?

Edited by LibraryLover

Many people of Mediterranean heritage also are lactose-intolerant.

Not so sure about the mutation hypothesis, though !

I don't mean African.

Many people of African ancestry are unable to digest milk and dairy products. However, in Kenya, because it was a society that was somewhat based on cows as a source of food, a human mutation occurred to allow milk digestion, the same as it did in Northern Europe.

Many people of Mediterranean heritage also are lactose-intolerant.

Not so sure about the mutation hypothesis, though !

Actually, world wide most adults are lactose intolerant. There are only three places where that's not so--Kenya, Northern Europe, and one other which I forget right now. Descendents of people from those areas can often digest milk throughout their adult years. It is right that many of those from the Mediteranean have problems with milk, as do most from Asian and African countries, and Native Americans.

My youngest. No matter how much and how well she eats (and believe me, we eat insanely healthy) she did not assimilate her protein and was essentially starving to death eating 5 meals a day. It's not normal but it does happen...

How about beanballs or bean burgers? Lentils are great for sloppy joes (I just use the storebought sauce), chili, curries, spaghetti sauce...

After, a lot of research I've found the U.S. is consuming a harmful amount of protein. Have you ever seen a list of foods and protein?

Pcrm.org is a great site if you haven't searched for it yet.

I used to make polenta and mash white beans and mix them in before I baked it. My daughter loved that. I also couldn't get her to eat lentil soup, but then I used red lentils and pureed the soup and called it "Pretty Pink Princess Soup" and she ate it all. Sometimes I think it is all in the presentation.

Noelle

I used to make polenta and mash white beans and mix them in before I baked it. My daughter loved that. I also couldn't get her to eat lentil soup, but then I used red lentils and pureed the soup and called it "Pretty Pink Princess Soup" and she ate it all. Sometimes I think it is all in the presentation.

Noelle

Great idea. My son is allergic to dairy, but eats meat so protein is not our problem. Our problem is he hates cooked vegetables. Will not eat potatoes, beans, peas, etc of his own free will. (Curiously he will eat lettuce, raw carrots and cooked corn) Anyway, I'm always sneaking in vegetables by blending them in a blender and throwing them into whatever. I always puree the beans in chili, for example. He has no idea.

margaret