Menu

Alternatives to amalgam fillings???

So... returned from a way overdue dental appointment for both of my children. I'm embarrassed :confused: and horrified to admit that combined they have a grand total of 12 cavities. The dentist wants to put in amalgam fillings and some caps. My pediatrician is VERY against the amalgam fillings due to the mercury content. The dentist kind of rolled his eyes when I asked for composite fillings giving me this whole talk about how these have been used for 150 years. My concern is that youngest has many allergies including various chemical allergies. I plan to get a second opinion. We have no dental insurance so this is going to kill us financially.

My question is this? Have you had your children's teeth filled with composite fillings or another alternate? and how successful have they been?

Also he wants to use oral conscious sedation, anyone have insight about this? She is a cooperative child, their concern is about how much work she needs done. Advice?

Any advice would be appreciated and helpful.

Julie in Monterey

WHile it sounds like a lot, I'm guessing its 12 cavities of various size- not 12 huge, gaping, needs-lots-of- time fillings. So instead of concious sedation, couldn't they just split up the appointments and do a few at a time? Generally (I'm Queen o Cavities) this is how my mouth is done. All the cavities on one side at one visit, the other side at another, separate visit. Of course, I don't know what the cavities are like, but I have not heard of doing all work, at once, with a kid sedated, unless things are very bad or the child is very young (for example, my then-2 year old had 4 teeth capped and 5 cavities filled under general ana...wordican'tspell).

As to filling alternatives- I just don't know. We get composites here when we can, amalgam when we can't (for certain teeth/cavities, composite won't work).I have an entire mouth stuffed to bursting with amalgam fillings I am slowly changing over to composite and crowns, but not for mercury reasons, just cosmetic (and the teeth with crowns simply have no more spots to fill!).

Be sure to get a 2nd opinion before embarking on any expensive, invasive work though, please. Some dentists are very conservative, some very aggressive, with how they treat teeth. Its worth it to get another look in their mouths before doing anything.

The rolling of the eyes would have made me furious. And then I would have asked him why one can be arrested for tossing a cavity sized bit of mercury into a lake. You need a dentist who will respect your desires. I've called around for BPA free composites and they were all too happy on the phone to discuss it.

How old are the kids?

My dd is awesome and still in the chair. She was 7 the first time.

My dentist is slowly going though and replacing all of my old fillings, because they are crumbling. He said it is strictly because the amalgam doesn't last as long as the composite.

Now, I did ask him about the mercury. He said that isn't a concern. He said the stuff it is mixed with in a filling makes it inert. He used the following example:

Hydrogen is very flammable

Oxygen is very flammable

H2O (water) is not flammable

If *my* dd needed that many fillings (or even 1), I would look into the conscious sedation. She's had 4 visits and has finally worked up to a full cleaning. She still gags too much when they try to do sealants or x-rays and they haven't been successful with those. The next time we go, they are trying some sort of lollipop that will help it. I don't think she could make it through all the cotton balls and probing at the back of her mouth for a filling.

Edited by snickelfritz

I have had at least 2 composite fillings in my molars for about 20 years. No problem - no wear - haven't needed any replacing. Very durable. Our dentist automatically uses composite on any cavities our kids have (thankfully they got dad's teeth - only a couple cavities total!).

I think they cost the same to the dentist - so no additional charge.

My dentist is slowly going though and replacing all of my old fillings, because they are crumbling. He said it is strictly because the amalgam doesn't last as long as the composite.

Yep, I'm going through the same thing here. My dentist also said that composite fillings are better because they actually bond to your teeth. I guess this would (in theory) make the tooth less likely to crack than if you have an amalgam filling. I don't think my dentist or ped. dentist work with amalgam at all.

I've heard the same as Herding Cats. In fact, my dentist says that my molars with several fillings (silver) need to be refilled with composite, because the tooth shrinks from the silver fillings and the composites are better and make the tooth stronger.

It costs me more to have composites because my antiquated insurance only covers the silver kind.

I won't put up with sarcastic doctors/dentists. I was once spoken to so disrespectfully about mercury fillings that I went directly to the desk and told them to get my child's file ready for me to go elsewhere. :glare: I searched the internet for mercury in children's fillings and found a site that listed dentists in our area that refused to use mercury fillings. I am *homeschooler*...hear me ROAR! :D

A second opinion is a good idea. My kids have yet to need fillings, but then our dentist is rather conservative. I on the other hand am a walking filling :) It does not matter what I do or how well I care for my teeth, they are just not good. Composites are expensive, but they sure do look better and don't contain mercury.

I would check out the conscious sedation more before allowing my kids to get that in the clinic. What are they giving the child? What is the procedure should the child have a reaction? How long does it take to clear the system? Has the dentist ever had complaints about the procedures in place and what were they (call the dental board in your state)? This is not to scare you, but I have found that sedation is something that some don't take seriously even though they must be certified to administer it.

I agree with the posts concerning a 2nd opinion, most especially because your dentist should be willing to listen to your concerns without appearing dismissive. As far as sedation goes, only one of mine needed that for a tooth pull. I think it depends on the age of your dc. If they are really young I would go to a pediatric dentist, my 4 & 6 year old dc see one.

We went to a pediatric dentist. The did not fill all at the same time. It was weekly/biweekly visits. Getting the worst ones first, they did it in sections. They DID NOT use mercury. Please get another dentist for your kids. It may cost a little more but well worth it.

:iagree:

Our kids' dentist doesn't use them either, and hasn't for years.

Our dentist doesn't even use amalgam fillings anymore - and if they did, I still would insist on composites for us. There is a pediatric dentist in the group we go to, but we much prefer our "regular" dentist for both dh and me, and the kids.

Ds has had quite a few cavities, but we've selectively filled them, depending on if they are in baby or permanent teeth. He did have one pulled several months ago, rather than filled, because it was starting to hurt, but should have been falling out within months anyway. I like that our dentist is very even keel about stuff, and treats us with respect in regards to our decisions about what to do.

Ours now offers a choice, so I am pushing to make sure we get mostly the composite fillings. I had no idea about the old amalgam ones cracking, though ... that would go a long way to explaining why my teeth are getting more sensitive as I get older! (Along with other issues.)

I know our pediatric dentist routinely uses some sedation on younger kids; just makes it easier for them. Our family dentist won't do fillings under a certain age and sent us there for fillings till just recently. (My poor oldest has terrible teeth.) I was also told by both that they can only do one side of the mouth at a time, something to do with swallowing reflexes and stuff. They don't want to numb both sides and let someone choke by accident, I think? Made sense, anyway.

I am confused. I was told that in certain types of large cavities, silver fillings are better. I was also told that mercury is no longer in silver fillings. My children each have a silver cap as well.

They also have multiple composite fillings.

My DH and I each have one composite filling that has broken.

If the costs is great enough to justify a visit to a second dentist for another opinion, I would consider that. I think that dentists can look at the same evidence and come to different conclusions about the necessity and scope of dental work.

For example, I have a slight weak spot in one tooth that I've had since I was a teen and the dentist who first identified it wanted to put in a filling. For whatever reason it didn't happen and subsequent dentists have either commented that it should be watched or have thought it should be filled. So far, it hasn't changed and it doesn't hurt in any way.

As for the sedation, intrusive dental work can be very painful. If he's going to be drilling in deeply enough to put on crowns, I would probably go along with his recommendation on that point.

I have a cavity prone child. His fillings are all composite. Also, our dentist does not use a drill. He uses a water jet instead. It takes less time and makes almost no noise. I couldn't believe how easy and painless the filling process was. And we do have to pay extra for the composite fillings because they are not covered by our insurance.

I had a big ugly metal filling in the back of my mouth from when I was a kid (from some crack dentist at the mall (?!) who asked me if I was Catholic before he started drilling (without anesthetic) as I might want to cross myself now...quite a memorable first filling). Needless to say, I've been much happier since THAT filling got removed and was replaced by a composite.

I just had some fillings done on the biting surface, and I asked the dentist if they were durable. He told me that the composite ones (er, by which I mean the white ones! hope that's the right term!) last well because they bond to the teeth better; he also said he'd have to drill a larger hole to put in the metal fillings.

I'd steer clear of anyone who was dismissive and rude. I once made an appt for my son (who was quite young at the time) at a pediatric dentist, who sent out a thing saying parents couldn't come, or if they did, couldn't talk -- I cancelled. I recently stumbled across a review of that dentist where the mother said her son reports being yelled at in the back! Yikes.

I'm with the find a new dentist camp.

Our pediatric dentist also uses composite fillings...but only when he has to. He cares a lot about how the children respond to the dentist; he doesn't want to scar them for life and make them hate dental work. He doesn't force x-rays until they can handle it (my daughter didn't get her first x-ray until she was 7, I think). He only fills cavities that absolutely need it. My son has a small cavity in one of his teeth that's been there for over 6 months. He's watching it rather than filling it, hoping that the baby tooth will fall out before the cavity gets big enough to require filling. It's less trauma that way because either it doesn't get filled at all or the child is older when it does get filled. I've even heard him counsel parents of a young child who had something like 8 cavities about waiting it out (and how to care for the teeth in the meantime) because of the age of the child. Gotta love the guy.

I'm with the find a new dentist camp.

Our pediatric dentist also uses composite fillings...but only when he has to. He cares a lot about how the children respond to the dentist; he doesn't want to scar them for life and make them hate dental work. He doesn't force x-rays until they can handle it (my daughter didn't get her first x-ray until she was 7, I think). He only fills cavities that absolutely need it. My son has a small cavity in one of his teeth that's been there for over 6 months. He's watching it rather than filling it, hoping that the baby tooth will fall out before the cavity gets big enough to require filling. It's less trauma that way because either it doesn't get filled at all or the child is older when it does get filled. I've even heard him counsel parents of a young child who had something like 8 cavities about waiting it out (and how to care for the teeth in the meantime) because of the age of the child. Gotta love the guy.

I just want to say that both of my DC had very severe cavities that were causing them pain when they were only toddlers. My son was around 18 months old and almost lost his two front teeth because by the time the cavity was removed there was barely enough tooth left to attach a cap to. My DD went in the minute she turned 3 and had 7 cavities. I showed them to my M.D. and they did not know that they were cavities and neither did I. It was most definitely not advisable to wait, in either of my children's cases. One should always consult a dentist rather than listening to well-meaning friends (even doctors) who tell you to wait until a child is a certain age.

Thanks so much for the input! My dc are 8.75 and 5.75. I'm positively going to get a second opinion now. Also, all of your posts give me more to think about. I did have an ick feeling from this fellow that I saw. Not that my children don't need the dental work, I'm just wondering if it has to be so aggressive. The visit scared my kids into better oral hygiene. You should see them now, excusing themselves to go brush their teeth immediately after a meal.

I will find a dentist that suits our needs. It's strange, I have no problems being assertive when it comes to general medical care but issues with dentists is a whole another thing. I did not have good experiences as a kid. I remember throwing up once on a dentist and him yelling at me. Hmmm, thought I was over that one. I've got to remember, we are the consumers here and we need to be treated with respect! Thanks ladies!

Julie in Monterey

I just want to say that both of my DC had very severe cavities that were causing them pain when they were only toddlers. My son was around 18 months old and almost lost his two front teeth because by the time the cavity was removed there was barely enough tooth left to attach a cap to. My DD went in the minute she turned 3 and had 7 cavities. I showed them to my M.D. and they did not know that they were cavities and neither did I. It was most definitely not advisable to wait, in either of my children's cases. One should always consult a dentist rather than listening to well-meaning friends (even doctors) who tell you to wait until a child is a certain age.

That's what I like about our dentist...he takes each kid on a case by case basis. I'm certain he wouldn't have waited if he felt it was necessary. In fact, each of my older kids have had a tooth pulled because it was necessary; not the least invasive thing one could do. However, he did it in such a way as it wasn't a big deal, not even for my overly-sensitive child who cries just to have her teeth cleaned.

I will find a dentist that suits our needs. It's strange, I have no problems being assertive when it comes to general medical care but issues with dentists is a whole another thing. I did not have good experiences as a kid. I remember throwing up once on a dentist and him yelling at me. Hmmm, thought I was over that one. I've got to remember, we are the consumers here and we need to be treated with respect!

I think a lot of us have horror stories about dentists and it can wreck havoc on our thinking about dentists. That's why our pediatric dentist is as gentle as possible.

I broke my dentist's chair (stripped the bolt holding the arm down) and nearly crushed his assistant's hand when I was a teen. They were pulling impacted wisdom teeth and didn't believe me when I told them it hurt. When I started screaming, they finally clued in and gave me more Novocaine. I still hate dentists; I'm very glad I have good teeth!

Try this site:

http://www.amalgam.org

Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome (DAMS)

"DAMS Inc. (Dental Amalgam Mercury Syndrome) is a grassroots organization dedicated to educating the public about the health hazards associated with mercury that leaks from amalgam dental restorations, which are known as "silver fillings. There is a growing body of scientific documentation that indicates the mercury leaking out of amalgams is insidiously dangerous to a person's health. Many of our people have had recoveries from serious health problems, which were considered to have an unknown cause and cure, after their amalgams were removed and replaced with non-toxic restorative material. So we feel a calling to educate the public about health hazards associated with the dental amalgam. We are all volunteers. A basic information packet is available from DAMS. A 7$ donation to DAMS is requested for the information packet. Contact:

DAMS, Inc.

P.O. Box 7249

Minneapolis, MN 55407-0249

1-800-311-6265

E mail: dentaltruth@yahoo.com

--

web page http://www.iaomt.org

Holistic Dental Association

--