Menu

Share your Preschool Plans here!

sweetbaby

My only plan with our 4 yo is to teach him the letters so he'll be ready to start phonics when he turns five. We are really laid back about preschool, pretty much we just have the letter magnets up on the refrigerator and I try to ask him every day to point out the "A" etc. Other than that, I don't plan anything "formal" at all. Just lots of reading and whatever else of his siblings stuff he wants to participate in.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 4 year old has tagged along with her 5 year old brother this past year. She isn't ready to move forward so she will do preschool again.

I have:

Little Hands To Heaven

100 EZ Lessons

Singapore's Earlybird Math 1a/b

I have lots of other stuff that we use, playing is still a big part of her day but theses are the main items for her 'school'.

We're just finishing up pre-school and looking forward to kindergarten, but looking back, introducing Cuisenaire Rods to help introduce a playful (and effective) way to develop math sense stands out as real high-light.

Bill

Bill,

Can you recommend a book you like to show me how to use these effectively with preschoolers?

Thanks!

...but we are doing some summer academics that I still consider to be part of our PreK/K4 course of study.

Bible: Children's ESV, 101 Favorite Stories from the Bible, Big Thoughts for Little Thinkers, A B C Memory Book

Devotion: Devotions for the Children's Hour, Big Truths for Little Kids, ABC Bible Verses, Leading Little Ones to God

Character Building: Child's Book of Character Building (books 1 & 2), Miller Family Series, Big Thoughts for Little People, God's Wisdom for Little Boys

Geo/Hist: Beginning Geography by Evan-Moor Vol. 1-3, Geography Songs, History for Little Pilgrims

Math: Saxon Math K, RightStart Math Lvl A, Singapore Earlybird (U.S. Edition 1A,1B,2A,2B)

Language Arts: Spell to Write and Read, Cursive First

Readiness Skills: ReadyWriter (MasterPak 1 CD Rom), Developing the Early Learner series (books 1 & 2)

Science: God's Creation Series: The World God Made, ScienceWorks for Kids Series, CLP Nature Reader 1

ETA: The above may seem like a lot, but it's really not for us... covering all this is in one calendar year (4 days a week, not including vacation time) is actually a very small portion of our time, especially with a one and only who enjoys it.

You're welcome to read our K4 Year in Review on our blog.

:001_smile:

Edited by CMama

Bill,

Can you recommend a book you like to show me how to use these effectively with preschoolers?

Thanks!

We didn't use this, but a woman named Miranda Hughes has put up a Cuisenaire rod activity book she made for her daughter that looks really fun.

http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

We started out building "stairs" (building rods vertically by value (length).

And also taking a rod, laying it horizontally. If this is "8" what other ways can you make "8"? Then the child stacks rods on top of the first rod in as many ways as they can. They call these "trains" (which doesn't totally make sense to me, but...)

After a while you can do "equations" of various sorts. Have them "add" to rods (by length) and find a single rod that "matches".

Or they can be given the "answer" (say a "10" rod) with a "6" rod and they need to find the "difference". Almost any elementary math can be turned into rod play.

I also liked comparing to rods. Starting out with two and asking: Which one is greater? Which one is less? And then introducing an index card with a hand-written inequalities sign (>) that my son could flip to the proper orientation depending on how two rods were presented before him.

So 6 is "less" than 8.

Or 8 is greater than 6.

And we lead into Miquon, which I really loved*

And introducing them to a variety of math concepts early. Not "mastery", but playful "exposure".

Much of the Cuisenaire Rod work can be done just using common sense. Or my modeling what they might face in any math program.

These are a fun and highly effective way for children to understand th relative values of numbers.

And its very helpful to be able to take 4 "Tens" and a "5" unit rod and ask them:

How many "Tens"? Four

How many "Units"? Five

Four Tens Five Units. 4-T 5.

*I really got a lot of value reading the First Grade Diary that is part of the Miquon series teachers books.

Bill

Tag-along with brother.;)

I am teaching my 4yo penmanship and the SWR phonograms. That's her "school." All else is play to her, and really she begs for penmanship -other wise I would wait until 5yo.

She reads simple cvc cvcc words, so she does the Bob Books when she wants (for now).

She has an EB Singapore math book (we might get more consistant with this in the fall....), and I encourage her to play with c.rods.

I read aloud and she plays outside a LOT every day. Those two things are first and foremost for my 4yo! (she can learn to read and math at 5 and 6yo....she can't go back to the sandbox with the eyes of a 4yo...;))

Bill,

Thanks!

I'm not SpyCar....but I often just give my little ones graph paper and have them color as many ways possible to equal orange (or pick another color)....that leads seemlessly into the number bonds. It's cheap and the kids love it and requires no thought from me:tongue_smilie:

We didn't use this, but a woman named Miranda Hughes has put up a Cuisenaire rod activity book she made for her daughter that looks really fun.

http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

We started out building "stairs" (building rods vertically by value (length).

And also taking a rod, laying it horizontally. If this is "8" what other ways can you make "8"? Then the child stacks rods on top of the first rod in as many ways as they can. They call these "trains" (which doesn't totally make sense to me, but...)

After a while you can do "equations" of various sorts. Have them "add" to rods (by length) and find a single rod that "matches".

Or they can be given the "answer" (say a "10" rod) with a "6" rod and they need to find the "difference". Almost any elementary math can be turned into rod play.

I also liked comparing to rods. Starting out with two and asking: Which one is greater? Which one is less? And then introducing an index card with a hand-written inequalities sign (>) that my son could flip to the proper orientation depending on how two rods were presented before him.

So 6 is "less" than 8.

Or 8 is greater than 6.

And we lead into Miquon, which I really loved*

And introducing them to a variety of math concepts early. Not "mastery", but playful "exposure".

Much of the Cuisenaire Rod work can be done just using common sense. Or my modeling what they might face in any math program.

These are a fun and highly effective way for children to understand th relative values of numbers.

And its very helpful to be able to take 4 "Tens" and a "5" unit rod and ask them:

How many "Tens"? Four

How many "Units"? Five

Four Tens Five Units. 4-T 5.

*I really got a lot of value reading the First Grade Diary that is part of the Miquon series teachers books.

Bill

Thank you very much, Bill!

I've already ordered Magnets to Mudpies, OPG and the colored shape blocks... now I'm looking at these and HOD...... I'm going to end up with more stuff for Luke than I have for my older ds, lol!
The only thing that I don't like about them (and why I am not still using them) is taht MUS blocks are a different color. :confused: I am afraid that would be too confusing.

What are MUS blocks?

Checked out Hands to Heaven and it gets a little out of my budget once you include all the extras. Sheesh, these things get expensive.

The other rods, at least for Luke, look easy to handle fiscally, lol, I may order them next week after we check out our new blocks :)

You guys are so on the ball, what would I do without you? (Plunk Luke down with a coloring book)

What are MUS blocks?

Checked out Hands to Heaven and it gets a little out of my budget once you include all the extras. Sheesh, these things get expensive.

The other rods, at least for Luke, look easy to handle fiscally, lol, I may order them next week after we check out our new blocks :)

You guys are so on the ball, what would I do without you? (Plunk Luke down with a coloring book)

MUS blocks are the Cuisenaire Rod-like manipulatives used in Math-U-See. They are different in size and color, and unlike C. Rods are "scored" (to show units) but are similar in use to Cuisenaire Rods. If you are using manipulatives with a "program" you need the one that conforms size wise with that program.

Bill

MUS blocks are the Cuisenaire Rod-like manipulatives used in Math-U-See. They are different in size and color, and unlike C. Rods are "scored" (to show units) but are similar in use to Cuisenaire Rods. If you are using manipulatives with a "program" you need the one that conforms size wise with that program.

Bill

The Cuisenaire Rods do get expensive as you move up the mathematical ladder, is it worth it? Is the math program complete?

The Cuisenaire Rods do get expensive as you move up the mathematical ladder, is it worth it? Is the math program complete?

A full set of Cuisenaire Rods (155 pieces) runs between $14 and $18.

A set of (10) base-10 "flats" (to represent hundreds values) is about $10.

And the value is extremely high.

But Cuisenaire rods are not a "math program". So I'm not sure what you're asking :confused:

Bill

A full set of Cuisenaire Rods (155 pieces) runs between $14 and $18.

A set of (10) base-10 "flats" (to represent hundreds values) is about $10.

And the value is extremely high.

But Cuisenaire rods are not a "math program". So I'm not sure what you're asking :confused:

Bill

I think she is talking about the programs on this site: http://www.etacuisenaire.com/catalog/department?deptId=CUISENAIRERODS&d0=MATH&d1=CUISENAIRERODS

Yes, they have different things for different areas of math.

The sets themselves are cheap, until you look at the sets for Addition and Subtraction, Multiplication, Division, etc. Then you break 100 every time.

I think I will order the ABC set for Luke. They look and sound like they're high quality.

Yowzers!

Let's say I'll never find out what I'm missing with these books. Do I look like a Rockefeller to you? :D

We used the rods with Miquon (which is quite inexpensive) and our own imaginations. And they fold in very nicely with the Singapore method of modeling if you extrapolate just a wee-bit.

I can't see spending $150 to learn how to "add and subtract" with rods, when it's fairly obvious.

Bill

Yowzers!

Let's say I'll never find out what I'm missing with these books. Do I look like a Rockefeller to you? :D

We used the rods with Miquon (which is quite inexpensive) and our own imaginations. And they fold in very nicely with the Singapore method of modeling if you extrapolate just a wee-bit.

I can't see spending $150 to learn how to "add and subtract" with rods, when it's fairly obvious.

Bill

Miquon? Could you post a site link?

I am considering Singapore for Luke, it's much more cost effective.

I just have the set of rods from MFW and the Alphabet book. I planned to get the addition and subtraction books... I don't think that you should need to keep buying more rods. I have no idea if it is a complete program, or just a supplement. I will probably go this route with Jake along with MFW for K-1st which has integrated lessons without a separate math program.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Miquon? Could you post a site link?

I am considering Singapore for Luke, it's much more cost effective.

Yes, Miquon.

If you do an "advanced search" with my screen name and the topic "Miquon" you'll get an ear-full :D

This program (which incorporates rods) I think is (or at least for my child was) an absolutely amazing introduction to "math". It is unconventional, gets the children to "think". Gives them the tools to solve challenges. Is a lot of fun. And makes a wonderful tag-team with Singapore. If you want a "mathy" child, Miquon is a fantastic way to get there.

This was my biggest pre-school "hit". One of those "life-changing" finds.

A parent must understand the program, however, and reading all the teachers materials (all 3 books is imperative IMO). Sometimes people "skip" the First Grade Diary and never "get" how to teach the Miquon way.

Bill

LOL, I was just looking at that page :) Great minds ;)

So, this is supposed to be started in 1st grade, with the orange book?

Spy Car, you started at 4.5, was that with the orange book?

Oh, and the price is right on this! Thanks!

I believe we started with the Orange Book (and riffs on Miquon of my own invention) when my son was almost 4. Technically, I guess this was "First Grade math" in 1964. And people have to get a feel for their own children. But pre-school sees right to me.

The idea is not to "push", but to make learning enjoyable and age-appropriate. Even if you only did selected pages in the Orange book, and made up some games with the rods, and read the First Grade Diary you (I believe) would get a great deal out of Miquon. We did.

Bill

I only ordered the rods for right now. I shouldn't have ordered those, but I couldn't help myself... one moment I was considering the next moment my order was confirmed, lol.

Dh and I both have great heads for numbers, but we had much the same problems in school that SpyCar mentioned in another thread. I slept through three years of high school math, managed A's and B's, but never felt compelled to continue on with Calculus. An exciting, usable, and affordable math program sounds so exciting! I wanted to do Singapore with my older ds, but he was already in 2nd grade and I couldn't figure out where to start :(. Luke will get a good math education from the ground up.

I only ordered the rods for right now. I shouldn't have ordered those, but I couldn't help myself... one moment I was considering the next moment my order was confirmed, lol.

Dh and I both have great heads for numbers, but we had much the same problems in school that SpyCar mentioned in another thread. I slept through three years of high school math, managed A's and B's, but never felt compelled to continue on with Calculus. An exciting, usable, and affordable math program sounds so exciting! I wanted to do Singapore with my older ds, but he was already in 2nd grade and I couldn't figure out where to start :(. Luke will get a good math education from the ground up.

Singapore is a really nice compliment to Miquon (or vice versa). There is just something to be said for starting with really "concrete" ways of constructing and de-constructing values as in Miquon and it's use of C. Rods.

Another great program you may want to add after a year or so is MEP (the Mathematics Enhancement Programme). It's a great compliment to Singapore, and it is available without charge through a British University. MEP is an UK adaptation of a Hungarian Math program, and is highly interesting.

Bill

For Miquon, do they have to be able to write? I was not going to push writing, as per TWTM, focusing more on reading until Luke was ready. Looking at the sample pages, there is writing involved, I was just wondering if you skipped the writing or if your dc is just that incredible ;)

I really do appreciate you answering all of my questions :)

For Miquon, do they have to be able to write? I was not going to push writing, as per TWTM, focusing more on reading until Luke was ready. Looking at the sample pages, there is writing involved, I was just wondering if you skipped the writing or if your dc is just that incredible ;)

I really do appreciate you answering all of my questions :)

No, they don't need to be able to write. At least the way we did it. If there was something that could be "solved" with rods, and expressed verbally (and as proper "math sentences"), that was perfection as far as I was concerned.

My son couldn't write (or write well) when we started. So why frustrate him? But he could show me that 2 and 3 make 5, and 1 and 4 make five, and so on. He is incredible. Children are incredible. It is amazing what they understand when ideas are presented in a fashion they can grasp. Handwriting came later as a "skill".

Part of the Miquon thing, that I got from reading the First Grade Diary (and then extrapolating) is to feel very free to make up your own worksheets or activities. Or to skip lab-sheets your child isn't ready for. Not to march straight though (necessarily). It's all about early exposure. Not mastery. It should be kept fun and pre-Kish.

But in this (what I believe is a critical time) you begin getting them to see "values" concretely, and introduce critical thinking, and discovery. And make "math" fun.

Bill

My 3yo preschooler will be cutting, sand "writing," and messing with all of our math manipulatives. We unschool preschool, I guess. I'm hoping that he'll take on the full-time job of entertaining the baby while his older brother does school for me. I will pay him in cookies...

I'm pondering using online resources to teach Catherine to read. Maybe start with Literactive (http://www.literactive.com) and then move to Reading Eggs. We're doing the trial now, and she likes it, but as it moves from letters to words, she is getting very frustrated and not really understanding. Or might do Study Dog. Not sure. Start Headsprout in the spring.

I was planning on doing Singapore Early Bird, but the new version is so much more expensive. So I'm not sure. I'm pondering Saxon K now..... Definitely want to do Right Start A in the spring.

We're just finishing up pre-school and looking forward to kindergarten, but looking back, introducing Cuisenaire Rods to help introduce a playful (and effective) way to develop math sense stands out as real high-light.

Bill

Thanks! That's a confirmation. Towards the end of the summer, I wanted to start Miquon with my son. He'll be 4 then, but I didn't want to be too pushy. He already likes playing with the rods so I thought "why not"?

Right now, we're doing OPGTR and Bob Books. He want's to be like Big Sis and read. I thought this was a better reading program for a younger child than Big Sis' Phonics Pathways.

Besides that, he'll tag along with his sister (when he feels like it). Mostly, I'll let him play.

I have a 4 yr old (will be 5 in Aug.) At the beginning of last yr I found this web site ABC Jesus Loves me. We have used it all yr long. For the most part it was free. I already had the 2 chilrens bibles they us. I did buy the CD's the are suggested and the craft supplies. Worksheets I found at different site on the computer. ABC as recently added the work ect.

We have had alot of fun with it this yr.

Thanks! That's a confirmation. Towards the end of the summer, I wanted to start Miquon with my son. He'll be 4 then, but I didn't want to be too pushy. He already likes playing with the rods so I thought "why not"?

My only advice is to judge for yourself if there are lab-sheets that are beyond his development. and if so skip them for the time being, and feel to make up sheets of you own?

Have you read the "First Grade Diary"? This Miquon teachers book made all the difference for me in turning on the light-bulb of how to teach math to a child.

Have fun!

Bill

After perusing these forums for a few more weeks, I decided to add a few things to our curriculum. :) I used to love math, and was on the Math Team so I really want my dd to understand and love math. I may not use everything all at once, but if we ever get stuck on a topic, here's hoping that something will be on hand to help! So here's an update to my previous post.

MATH

• Alternate Monday-Thursday between Math U See Primer and Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten. Throw in Miquon Orange if stuck in a rut.
  • Friday - Math fun with games, books, Cuisenaire rods

READING

Phonics Pathways, ReadingEggs.com, Explode the Code workbooks

Also added All About Spelling, my dd4.5 loves to demonstrate her spelling skills, I'm hoping this will help her in reading.

For my 4 yo dd:

Little Hands to Heaven

R & S Do it Carefully

R & S Finding the Answers

Singapore Earlybird Math (already started)

Handwriting Without Tears

100 EZ Lessons (already started)

She loves doing her reading and math so I think she'll be really excited to get even more "school" time with me. She has a co-op class on Fridays. She's taking swimming this summer, soccer in the fall, and more swimming in the winter. Might have her in church choir as well.

3 yo dd: Ordinary Parents Guide..., Bob Books, Abeka Math (K), HWT (K)

20 mo dd: coloring, #s & letters puzzle

TOGETHER: Bible Story, scripture memorization and fun reading (something from the sonlight prek list)

2 mo ds: nursing and being as cute as ever

I would like to do Mudpies as well but just haven't found the time/organization/inspiration (take your pick)

As soon as mine drop their morning nap (20 mo or so), I start "school": coloring, #s puzzle, ABC puzzle, and Scripture memorization, and fun reading (learn to sit still), which took about 10-20 min.

By the time my oldest was 2, she knew all the letters and sounds and could count to 20. So, at 2, school looked like this: Ordinary Parent's Guide..., Bible Story, Scripture memorization, number recognition with puzzle, and fun reading. At 2 1/2 I added Abeka Math and HWT kindergarten. I started school at 30 min. and now we are up to about 1 1/2hr for my 3 year old.

I know it seems like a lot but I just took it one step at a time, went at my daughter's pace, and moved on when I felt she could handle it. She just turned 3 and is reading at a LATE kindergarten level. She's not that far in math but why stop reading just to be on the same level? I thought maybe she was just smart but my 20 mo is moving at relatively the same pace thus far. I just think if you offer learning to your child, you would be surprised how much they can do. We do not expect enough of our children as a nation in my opinion.

First of all what is OPGTR??

My dd3 will be/is using:

HOD LHTH

a couple of Rod and Staff workbooks

Leap Frog DVD

Lots of being read to

Maybe one of those preschool books that you can get at amazon/wal-mart etc.

ETC Book A

Tagging along to her older bros. co-ops

Of course, listening in to her brothers work...

Edited by mama2cntrykids
forgot to add ETC books

Guest sarathan

Nothing too formal...

Carol's Affordable Curriculum

The bible choices from LHTH

Some (or all :)) of the Sonlight P3/4 books

Maybe a workbook or two here and there..... :)

We have just started FIAR, and we are on book 2. So far it has been delightful!! We were gonna go from LHTH to LHFHG but she is in between both and FIAR is working out so good, we may just stick with it longer than I thought!

Math- counting, the math in FIAR, plus any thing that comes up in life. Whe she is ready we will go to R&S math.

R&S wkbks.

Phonics- LLATL Blue for hands on, and Adventures in Phonics workbk done orally.

Another way to introduce playful math concepts is Cuisenaire rods and the activity books.

Don't forget Slow and Steady Get me Ready.

http://www.learningresources.com/p2p/searchResults.do?search=basic&keyword=cuisenaire&sortby=best&asc=true&page=2&sortby=best&asc=true

Here is a site with some cuisenaire intro ideas and other cuisenaire based curricula.

My only plan with our 4 yo is to teach him the letters so he'll be ready to start phonics when he turns five. We are really laid back about preschool, pretty much we just have the letter magnets up on the refrigerator and I try to ask him every day to point out the "A" etc. Other than that, I don't plan anything "formal" at all. Just lots of reading and whatever else of his siblings stuff he wants to participate in.

Thank heaven. I was wonderiing if I am the only person on here who thinks that preschool is exactly what it mean "pre" school. So just letters and numbers.... and a ton of science outdoors or in the museums.

Not that I am lazy.....I do math with my baby already - "Look at your sister catching salamanders. She had one and found two more and now we have three because one and two are three." But that's just small talk because I talk so much to him. Or I will talk to him about the colors, "Look at this pretty yellow flower."