Menu

Anyone have a European style refrigerator?

We need a new refrigerator and are considering a European style one(withthe freezer on the bottom)

I have a few questions.

Do you like this style frig, why or why not?

Is the bottom freezer drawer heavy when it is full of food?

Is it easy or hard to organize the freezer and find items in it?

Do you like that you have more space for pizza boxes etc in the frig part than with a side by side?

Does it seem like you have more space in the frig than with a side by side?

Any other comments on owning one of these would be appreciated.

Thanks~~~Karen

we have this refrigerator-

http://www.heartlandapp.com/en/Products/Refrigeration/Legend/BottomMount/3165.36_Refrigerator.htm

I love the refrigerator more than the side by side we had inherited with the purchase of our house. We have a second freezer in our basement & have needed it for both 'fridges... the freezer is not too heavy dd2 can open it. you end up with piles of food, IMHO, with both. It does give you more horizontal space for larger items like pizzas and the actual refridgerator gives enough room for a full sheet cake on the occasions you're storing one of those :D the doors are deep in this one- the jenn-air model is the same inside, must be made by the same company, just not as sturdy inside, but not by much.

Our Pastor loves ours so much he just got a "drawer 'fridge" as he calls it for the parsonage when they recently remodeled.

Did this help?

Robyn

we have this refrigerator-

http://www.heartlandapp.com/en/Products/Refrigeration/Legend/BottomMount/3165.36_Refrigerator.htm

I love the refrigerator more than the side by side we had inherited with the purchase of our house. We have a second freezer in our basement & have needed it for both 'fridges... the freezer is not too heavy dd2 can open it. you end up with piles of food, IMHO, with both. It does give you more horizontal space for larger items like pizzas and the actual refridgerator gives enough room for a full sheet cake on the occasions you're storing one of those :D the doors are deep in this one- the jenn-air model is the same inside, must be made by the same company, just not as sturdy inside, but not by much.

Our Pastor loves ours so much he just got a "drawer 'fridge" as he calls it for the parsonage when they recently remodeled.

Did this help?

Robyn

Yes your response helped quite a bit. I am the one with concerns as to whether I will like a bottom freezer over our current side by side. We also have a chest freezer in another location the the house.

Thanks~~Karen

We have this one by Liebherr:

cs1650.jpg

I love the fridge on top, freezer on bottom. It definitely fits our lifestyle better (milk, veggies, fruits, cheese, right at our fingertips, and frozen stuff used less often), and it's more energy efficient. Our freezer is *not* one big drawer -- it's a door that swings out with four drawers (one of those is the ice maker) inside.

I like it a lot better than our old side-by-side model, where nothing ever seemed to fit smoothly, and everything got lost), and it makes so much more sense than having to bend down for the things I need most often (produce!)...

We bought ours because this brand makes the shallowest, narrowest model fridge we could find, basically -- that walls are very thin, so little space is wasted -- and it meant we could fit that and a 15" pull-out pantry in our small kitchen. But even though that was out only motivation for going with this fridge, I really do love the design (freezer on the bottom, doors for both parts), now that I've had it for a few months. I would definitely choose freezer on the bottom again, if I had to pick another fridge.

LOVE IT! I need milk more often than frozen waffles.... and it is all eye-level! The freezer also holds more than my moms style (freezer on top) and I can find things more easily in my MIL's side by side.

I still need a chest freezer.... but LOVE MY FRIDGE!

My only negative is reminding the kids to not push down or rest their weight on it when extended.... but that is the same as don't swing on the door or leave it open type stuff.

Do you like that you have more space for pizza boxes etc in the frig part than with a side by side?

I love my fridge with freezer below but in answer to these few questions, YES, my drawer freezer is heavy when loaded and hard for my youngest to open during popsicle season. :) Also, because of the frequent and challenging tugging, our handle has popped off numerous time. it's easy to reattach, but this is a nuisance. I might get a swinging door freezer on the bottom instead next time.

Love that my pizza box fits in the fridge, and birthday cakes... :)

I love, love, love my French door refrigerator! The food is right in my line of vision, and since we spend more time in the fridge, it's great to have everything at eye/arm level. I grew up with a top freezer, so I was leary of the bottom freezer, but it's so much better than a top one. For some reason, I feel it holds more. It's not overly heavy when full since the rollers make it slide out very smoothly (ours is a Kenmore). I told DH that this is the only type of refrigerator I'll ever have. All my family & friends who have side by sides or fridge on the bottom models love when they have to get something out of mine because everything is so accessible and "in your face". :) Oh, and I cannot forget to mention the tray drawer in the fridge where you pull it out and can fit multiple platters. Love it!!!

I love, love, love my French door refrigerator! The food is right in my line of vision, and since we spend more time in the fridge, it's great to have everything at eye/arm level. I grew up with a top freezer, so I was leary of the bottom freezer, but it's so much better than a top one. For some reason, I feel it holds more. It's not overly heavy when full since the rollers make it slide out very smoothly (ours is a Kenmore). I told DH that this is the only type of refrigerator I'll ever have. All my family & friends who have side by sides or fridge on the bottom models love when they have to get something out of mine because everything is so accessible and "in your face". :) Oh, and I cannot forget to mention the tray drawer in the fridge where you pull it out and can fit multiple platters. Love it!!!

We are looking at Kenmores, do you know the model number of yours. We are looking at the #78402 and 78502

Thanks~~~Karen

I love having the freezer on the bottom. I'm not in there nearly as often as I'm in the fridge, so it makes a lot of sense. And there's a ton of room.

Mine swings open and has a large wire drawer and a small wire drawer. The small one is next to a non-automatic ice maker that we never use because we rarely use ice. The small drawer can get too heavy and fall out of the track, so I stick to lighter items in there. The only time I have to pull the large drawer out is to reorganize or pull out a whole turkey, and it holds up just fine. Otherwise, I can reach in without an issue.

We need a new refrigerator and are considering a European style one(withthe freezer on the bottom)

I have a few questions.

Thanks~~~Karen

We have a Maytag with the freezer on the bottom. I love it. I don't think the drawers are to heavy and I feel it is easier to organize items in it than in the ones where things get stuffed to the back.

A true European style refrigerator is very small! My first thought was that was what you meant.

We were glad we got an American size one issued to us with the correct voltage while we were in Germany.

However, with the advent of Wal-mart type stores, European fridges are getting larger.

Guest Virginia Dawn
A true European style refrigerator is very small! My first thought was that was what you meant.

We were glad we got an American size one issued to us with the correct voltage while we were in Germany.

However, with the advent of Wal-mart type stores, European fridges are getting larger.

That was my first thought too. Why would anyone want a European refrigerator?! :lol:

I have a few questions.

Thanks~~~Karen

I love my bottom freezer! Like others have said, it is so much easier to access things when they're up high. I hate bending to dig around in the produce drawers way at the bottom of a top-freezer model. The bottom freezers are more economical, too, because cold air naturally settles in the bottom.

I am on my third bottom freezer, actually (we used to move a lot). This is my first with a drawer. I was leery about it being heavy, but it's not. It's easier, actually, than my old door models because I don't have to squat down to find things. I just bend over a little.

I find the drawer freezer very easy to organize. The drawer is compartmentalized, and has a basket across the top of the front for small items. There is also an interior drawer that pulls out at the top of the freezer. It's perfect for bread, pizza, etc. I usually put bags in the bottom (fruit on one side of the partition, veggies and meat on the other, small items in the door basket, open items in the basket that sits on top of the drawer, and bread/pizza/bagels/lunchmeat etc, in the interior drawer.

I would never have a side-by-side. I had one, and I was forever digging, moving, shifting items in order to find stuff in the back. Pizzas -- forget it. They don't fit. I've seen some hybrid models that are side-by-side, but get wider at the bottom to make room for larger items. I can't say much about them, except that I don't think I would want one. :)

I currently have one with french doors on the top. I love it! I seldom need to open both refrigerator doors because I know where everything is (it's much easier to open a little door than a big one). I love the large drawer that goes all the way across the bottom of the frig (I use it for meat and cheese). I love the glass shelves. I love the filtered water in the door. I love that it's so quiet. I love the freezer. I love everything about it! It's a GE Profile.

This topic has been discussed several times before. If you search the general board for "bottom freezer", you should find several threads.

I really miss the American-style side-by-side that we had in China. But I'd be very happy with a top-and-bottom one if it were only bigger. What we have is a fridge only in the kitchen, then a top-and-bottom in the utility room. Between the two there's plenty of space, even when my brother's family was staying, but it would be easier just to have one big top-and-bottom.

Laura

Freezer on the bottom is "European style"? Huh. I've had one for almost 15 years and never knew it was European style. :-)

I won't ever go back a freezer on the top. Mine has a door, not a drawer.

That's what I was thinking LOL. We have one (with a door and wire drawers) and I like it a lot, but here it is called an "upside down fridge freezer" because most here have the freezer on top of the fridge which has always seemed entirely stupid to me when you are in the fridge more often.

We are surviving with this as our only freezer, but really it's a bit small and I'm on the lookout for a second large freezer to keep in the garage.

I love my frig!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I moved I would take it with me! There is a lot of room in the freezer and in the frig. It is much easier to keep clean because you see everything as soon as you open the door. My freezer is full and there doesn't seem to be any stain on the freezer drawer.

Go for it!!!