Menu

USDA Beef recall-worried about my cyberfriends

As the financial chokehold on my budget tightened, I began to wonder if I had made an error in judgment error in choosing to spend extra money at the farmer's market last week buying two of the monthly specials from my favorite beef farmer (grass fed, hormone free, never seen a feedlot).

I am glad I spent the extra money and can breathe a sigh of relief that none of the suspect beef is in my freezer!! Last time there was a recall I could not breathe so easy.

We stopped eating beef about 2 years ago, and substitute ground turkey. I think there's been more than 3 recalls since then. I don't believe that it's safe at all, or healthy with the way it is raised and processed. Most beef, especially ground beef, doesn't get tested for e. coli. It's only a small sample of the entire product which is tested.

This doesn't include grass-fed or organic beef, as a pp mentioned.

edit- Cattle fed 40-50% distiller grains diet have increased rates of E. Coli. I don't know how many cattle are fed this diet, but I'm assuming it is more now than in the past with the current ethanol production.

Edited by sarahli

Weekend BBQers beware, a huge beef recall from Valley Meats LLC of Coal Valley, Ill. may have you checking your labels. According to a report from the Quad Cities, WQAD.Com, the government calls this a Class One recall. That means there is a reasonable chance that eating this product will cause serious health problems.

BBQ Beware - Beef Recall From Valley Meats LLC, 96,000 Pounds

The Chicago Tribune has this on the recalled beef and how to spot it. "The beef was produced in March 2009 and distributed in 10-pound to 40-pound packages, sold under brand names including Grillmaster, J&B, Thick 'N Savory, 3S, Klub and Ultimate. All of the recalled beef products bear the establishment number "EST. 5712" inside the USDA's inspection mark.

A list of the recalled products -- all of which were produced on March 10 and packaged under a variety of labels -- is posted at http://www.fsis.usda.gov.

The Associated Press notes in a report that the Ohio Department of Health alerted federal officials last week that a 3-year-old girl, a 24-year-old man and a 71-year-old man with no connection to one another were ill from E. coli bacteria with the same genetic fingerprint.

Check the FDA List in the first post and there is a complete list of products affected. Much of this went to school lunch programs... unbelievable. It goes back a couple months but is mostly big tubes of meat or pre shaped frozen patties. I just hope that the recall is timely and of course, one person ill or deceased from consuming the recalled product is one too many . I just want to keep the thread current over the weekend in order to put the word out to as many people as possible .

Got my freezer stuffed with home raised, hormone free, locally butchered beef. Yummy!

same here

You know what I don't understand? My in-laws raise beef cattle, yet they do not use them for their own meat. They buy their meat from Walmart or other grocery stores. Then they complain about how small farmers are getting hurt, rant about how this country should go back to small farms and buying local, and complain about unnatural products in food. :confused:

Prime example of not walking the talk.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Events/Recall_022_2009_Release/index.asp link to vast beef recall from USDA. I hope this is timely and has been recalled before it injures too many consumers. Please read and share with your loved ones.

What is it with beef already? Rats. As much as I love my burgers, being an Illini beef and corn fed girl and all, I think I'll just be much healthier these days if I just kiss it goodbye! Goodness!

(PS Thank you for caring about all of us! :) )

I treat every single piece of raw beef that comes into my house as if it were laden with ecoli and every piece of raw pork as though it has trichonosis (sp?).

Cook-outs scare me silly, because I'm so obsessive about meat. We were at a cookout Monday and I wouldn't touch the grilled meat! :D

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cook-outs scare me silly, because I'm so obsessive about meat. We were at a cookout Monday and I wouldn't touch the grilled meat! :D

No kidding! I just decided on Monday (after FIL gave me yet another not-quite-done burger) that I'm going to stick to the hot dogs at cookouts. I'd rather the nitrates kill me slowly than the bacteria kill me the next day!

No kidding! I just decided on Monday (after FIL gave me yet another not-quite-done burger) that I'm going to stick to the hot dogs at cookouts. I'd rather the nitrates kill me slowly than the bacteria kill me the next day!

Lol--I generally will eat the hotdogs, but Monday I didn't even eat one of those. I wasn't watching the griller cooking (I usually police the grill), and so I didn't know whether he was using the same utensils to touch the raw meat and the cooked meat. And suddenly I panicked and thought, "What if that big ole' box of beef franks are raw to start with?"

I remember learning about a child who died from ecoli because he/she had eaten a hotdog that had simply been cooked and then placed on the platter that had held the raw hamburgers.

I told you I am obsessive.

Another aside--my children were not allowed to even eat a hamburger cooked anywhere other than my home (and I rarely cook them--maybe once every 5 years or so) until they were 6 years old. I read one time that under the age of 6 children are particularly vunerable to dying (I think) from ecoli. I figured, "Why risk it? They can survive a few years without hamburgers. lol