Menu

Humor me please--I'm asking again! No wheat, dairy, eggs, pork, chocolate....

right now our favorite gluten free/dairy free meal is smoked beef sausage. the hillshire brand hasn't caused me any issues. I mix up honey and Tamari(wheat free soy sauce) and bake it in that...makes a thick glaze on it. or grill it and serve with a side of BBQ sauce. you could also grill corn and have a dairy free butter available or squash/zuchini with olive oil/italian seasoning/sea salt on them. or slice potatoes and bake them with the olive oil mixture I mentioned above until they are crispy.

salad? tons of possibilities there.

gluten free pasta with meat sauce....no cheese on it though.

hope you have a nice meal :-)

for us grilling is the tastiest meals and usually no big deal for our gluten free/dairy free diet. Just don't season burgers without asking them if they can have it.

Roasted chicken with a side of potatoes (mashed or roasted red potatoes) or rice pilaf and a big salad or green vegetable (like green beans with olive oil, lemon juice, and almonds or pine nuts).

Indian food? Some sort of curry, basmati rice, and a veggie (like spinach).

Arroz con pollo or a paella of some sort?

Take a look at some couscous recipes (something Moroccan), but use quinoa (a grass seed, not a grain) instead of couscous. It has a distinct flavor of it's own, but it's yummy and can be substituted pretty much directly for couscous.

Chicken & rice...

Put rice in bottom of pan, place chicken pieces (split breasts w/skin look nice) over the top. Cover in seasoned broth (swanson 100% fat free fits the bill or make your own by boiling chicken in advance) season with salt, pepper, basil, and sage. Bake about 45 min until chicken is golden and rice is tender all broth absorbed. You use the same amount of broth that you would water to make the rice for example 1 c rice 1 1/2 - 2 c broth. Oh, and sprinkle the tops of the chicken with a little garlic :001_smile:

For sides, maybe a nice fruit salad with some almonds, and a green veggie like broccoli or green beans.

chicken with curry sauce with rice or potaotes. If you put coconut milk in the rice it jazzesit up. You could also mix in wild rice for a differant flavor. There is also wheat free pasta (rice or corn)

Asian chicken with rice noodles

Baked potatoes with toppings ( can you have cheese out for those who can eat it?)

chili

Thai sauce-peanut butter, chicken broth, wheat free soy sauce(Braggs is one)

ginger, garlic and onion- I put this in the crock pot with chicken and serve over rice

Thanksgiving dinner with rice or corn stuffing. You could do a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey. Oat flour makes a nice gravy, rice flour is also OK with thanksgiving dinner, but not most other things.

Chinese.

Chili over rice, we like turkey chili.

I just got a book with some recipes that look good, it's called "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" by Marjorie Hurt Jones. You could see if your library has one. Most of the allergy cookbooks either have not so yummy looking food or expect you to spend an hour or 2 in the kitchen with 30 ingredients for each meal for every recipe. Or, they only cut out one or 2 of the major allergens, so aren't helpful for me. This one looked do-able and edible, and has all common food allergens covered instead of just a few.

I went through a period last year where my second daughter (BF) had a horrible case of reflux- I couldn't eat anything but fresh fruits and veggies for the longest time & then transitioned in other foods until she was able to handle what I was eating.

I found the (book & site) Gluten free girl very helpful and humorous.

Arrowroot makes a better gravy than corn starch (which I thought was not on the GF diet?).

There are vegan cheeses, made from soy.

Many products are labeled GF now, you may be surprised what you find.

Chinese dishes, anything stir-fry is easy to do GF.

Italian is easy, and does not need to contain dairy- broccoli raab with GF penne (bionature was our favorite, and notta pasta was good too) sun-dried tomatoes, anything you can think of. You can make a sun-dried tomato pesto loaded with garlic and basil for the sauce. Sauteed zuchini, mushrooms, snow-peas, green beans, really any fresh veggie in olive oil and even a bit of garlic if you want.

A simple soup with the notta pasta spaghetti for the noodle cooked right in at the end will not get mushy as wheat pasta will. you can make a nice salad and a fresh fruit plate.

Be creative, meals do not need to be meat, potato, veg., and I bet your pastor already eats non-traditional meals if he has so many restrictions!

wldflwr

p.s/ sorry for any typo's, spelling errors, etc.- one very tired and sleepless mama over here! Don't you hate it when everyone can sleep but you? I know they will all wake bright and shiny for church tomorrow while mommy tries her best to keep up!

anything that is labels 'natural flavorings' 'natural seasonings' etc could be wheat/ gluten.

any meat could contain gluten in the processing.

really anything that does not ship in it's own skin could have gluten in/ on it without being labeled.

you need to look for the gluten free labeling.

I'm writing down all of the good ideas!

For tomorrow, I'm going to do steak, grilled russet potatoes with garlic, kosher salt, fresh pepper, and olive oil. Fresh corn, and a good watermelon. Probably some homemade lemonade.

Thanks again,

Julie :)

Yummmm! We'll all be over after church! That's a meal for everyone!

Blessings,

Lucinda

corn flour? i never thought to try that for gravy. i have a great corn bread recipe that you could make that i adapted from one that was very good in it's own right... i'll post it later, after i take #2 for a run in the bike/ jiogging stroller so that she does not wake #1.

Milk gravy is simply gravy made with milk instead of broth or meat juices. It is typically served with fried chicken or fried steak.

Actually, though I know that some people make their gravy with no milk, it's surprising how much more smooth & silky a gravy is when made with half broth/meat juices and milk. People seem to really *really* love my gravy, and it's hard to serve gravy made with cornstarch instead of a traditional roux (and no milk!). Pot roast just isn't the same without it either. {sigh}

I'm learning though, and am slowly expanding my recipes/menus to include more meals that are appropriate for the pastor and his wife. After all, really delicious food loses it's flavor quickly if it makes you sick! ;)

Edited by Julie in CA

I'm learning though, and am slowly expanding my recipes/menus to include more meals that are appropriate for the pastor and his wife. After all, really delicious food loses it's flavor quickly if it makes you sick! ;)

It is so lovely that you are doing this for your pastor. I bet he appreciates it very much. You are right... delicous food is not so delicious when it causes you pain.

I need a Sunday Dinner type of meal for our pastor. No wheat, dairy, eggs, pork, or chocolate.

I'm tired of making dry pot roast (or the weird cornstarch gravy with no milk).

I'm tired of making mexican food with no cheese.

Any other ideas?

Baked acorn squash with Smart Balance margarine (and brown sugar)

Grilled or baked boneless skinless chicken

Grilled Asparagus with lemon & garlic

Tossed salad with vinegarette dressing

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=gluten%20free

Or go Asian:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Orange-Beef-Style-Tofu-Stir-Fry/Detail.aspx

Edited by tex-mex

Use spaghetti squash instead of noodles and make spaghetti casserole, we like it with turkey meatballs or turkey meat instead of beef.

I also like a version of "Dr. Martin's Mix" I have adapted from "The I Hate to Cook Cookbook." (A fun read if you haven't read it, the most entertaining cookbook I've read.) My husband calls in "Worcestershire delivery." (Worcestershire contains soy, among other things.)

Fry up 1 lb ground turkey, add chopped green peppers (or green/yellow/red for more colorful), add 1 1/2 cups brown rice and 3 cups water (or a gluten free organic chicken stock, but I'm allergic to something in all of them, I have to make my own from scratch or use water) and bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes. Season with chicken-y type seasonings he can eat. Any spice mix with more than one spice in it usually contains MSG, I would only use single spices. (This includes such innocuous sounding things as chicken seasoning.)

You can keep it warm in a crock pot or microwave it or fry it in a tiny bit of oil to reheat, it re-heats well, even if made the day before.

I need a Sunday Dinner type of meal for our pastor. No wheat, dairy, eggs, pork, or chocolate.

I'm tired of making dry pot roast (or the weird cornstarch gravy with no milk).

I'm tired of making mexican food with no cheese.

Any other ideas?

Just a suggestion for dry pot roast - use a crock pot.