What's with the ads?

#1 Expat_Mama_Shelli

Expat_Mama_Shelli

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

Has anyone worked through Singapore using only the Textbook and Intensive Practice?

DS really doesn't need me to model pages upon pages of problems, so assuming those in the text are similar to the ones in the workbook... they would be more-or-less interchangeable, right? Then we can follow up with the IP to take things deeper without exhausting him by the sheer number of equations.

#2 CadenceSophia

CadenceSophia

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:49 AM

We got as far as 4a with just IP. DS thought the textbook was like cheating -- he wanted to be told what to do and then figure it out mostly himself so I explained and modeled on paper as necessary. I honestly don't know how some people use all 4 books.
  • Expat_Mama_Shelli likes this

#3 Expat_Mama_Shelli

Expat_Mama_Shelli

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:59 AM

DS thought the textbook was like cheating -- he wanted to be told what to do and then figure it out mostly himself so I explained and modeled on paper as necessary.

Hah! Yes, at this point (2A) is giving more concrete examples than he needs, but I would rather a curriculum err to that end. I show 1-2 problems concretely, have DS model 1-2 concretely, then we do the rest orally or on the dry erase board & move on to the IP.

With occasional days set aside to play math games & do the mental math practice sheets, we are covering each topic in about the same amount of time outlined in the HIG - just subbing IP problems for Workbook problems.
  • CadenceSophia likes this

#4 kbutton

kbutton

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5461 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

Yep. That's exactly what we did for kiddo #1, and it worked very well.

#5 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14268 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:44 AM

We did that as well. The workbook was just too much more of the same.
  • MamaSprout likes this

#6 shawthorne44

shawthorne44

More Kilts!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3992 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

hmmmm, I'd asked this same question a few months ago and the consensus was that it was a bad idea.   One said she did that, and regretted it because it didn't stick as well.  

We'd started out doing Singapore grade 1 mostly orally.  We delayed starting handwriting until 6,   But, then at some point, working the workbook problems became handwriting practice also.  

#7 La Condessa

La Condessa

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

My dd1 uses the textbook, intensive practice,and challenging word problems. The intensive practice book is plenty for her to retain the concepts, but I highly recommend the challenging word problems--they tend to contain the most interesting and challenging questions in the program.

My dd2 needs more practice at a basic level before going on to the intensive practice questions. She does about 3/4 of the workbook questions. Ds1 needs the workbook practice only for an occasional topic. Really, you just need to feel out your individual child.
  • Korrale and shawthorne44 like this

#8 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

FWIW, I use SM and also do Beast Academy a level behind as review and deeper exploration. I use other resources as well to explore math and work on problem solving.

#9 shawthorne44

shawthorne44

More Kilts!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3992 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

FWIW, I use SM and also do Beast Academy a level behind as review and deeper exploration. I use other resources as well to explore math and work on problem solving.

Since DD is grade 2 we have been forced to do that.   Forced thanks to BA publication schedule.   Now I understand all the angst seemingly everyone here expressed about the grade 3-5 publication schedule.  She'll do the BA books as they come out and SM while waiting for BA.  

#10 Korrale

Korrale

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:23 PM

We do this with the addition of Challenging Word Problems. Up until somewhere in 4A or 4B we were doing the TB, WB, IP and CWP. The workbook was just overkill though. We have them for the 5s and 6s. So I can pull them out if we need more reinforcement. But I doubt I will use them.

#11 4kookiekids

4kookiekids

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

Has anyone worked through Singapore using only the Textbook and Intensive Practice?

DS really doesn't need me to model pages upon pages of problems, so assuming those in the text are similar to the ones in the workbook... they would be more-or-less interchangeable, right? Then we can follow up with the IP to take things deeper without exhausting him by the sheer number of equations.

Honestly, we got to the point where we don't even use the textbook - we use the workbook only. I know we could go deeper with the IP, but we also do BA and I feel like they get plenty of depth from that. Doing the textbook problems would've been overkill for my kiddos, but they like the WB. It's "fun" in a different way than Beast because they feel it's just straight-forward and doesn't require a ton of deep thinking. It's their "relaxed" math, for lack of a better word - when they want to just go calculate some stuff without having to think too hard, they pull out their Singapore WBs. :) 

• CadenceSophia likes this

#12 CadenceSophia

CadenceSophia

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:52 AM

Honestly, we got to the point where we don't even use the textbook - we use the workbook only. I know we could go deeper with the IP, but we also do BA and I feel like they get plenty of depth from that. Doing the textbook problems would've been overkill for my kiddos, but they like the WB. It's "fun" in a different way than Beast because they feel it's just straight-forward and doesn't require a ton of deep thinking. It's their "relaxed" math, for lack of a better word - when they want to just go calculate some stuff without having to think too hard, they pull out their Singapore WBs. :)

I think there is a lot of merit to this. DS got burned out on SM and life in general in the middle of 4a. We had more problems than just math but I kind of regret making his math and more serious than necessary -- like I think I could have accomplished the same level of challenge that he needed by going fast rather than more difficult. There are so many fun things to do around pre-alg time and even more fun stuff after algebra.
  • 4kookiekids likes this