Menu

Exercise Thread: May

KathyBC

Thanks. I've never tried any product like this. I do rely upon coffee to get me going in the morning! But I'll consider this.

This affects your body completely differently than coffee. Oi. Pregnant lady morning grammar. :svengo: If it's convenient stop by a GNC and talk to them about it. An actual GNC, not a partial one in a store. Those guys are great. And ask them for coupons.

• Like 1

Went to the gym first thing this morning for leg day with my husband.  It's so much more fun to have a workout buddy!  I guess he must have enjoyed it too, because he suggested we make it a regular thing, every Saturday and Tuesday morning.  :)  

We did squats, deadlifts, and a couple of those machines that focus on glutes and hamstrings.  It was a tough workout.  I pushed myself harder than I would have if I'd been alone, which is another advantage to having a workout buddy, I guess.  I may be really sore tomorrow, but it's worth it.

Since I've gotten interested in weight-lifting, I've kind of been regretting the fact that I didn't do this in my 20's, when I was young and healthy and my body would have responded to it so much more quickly.  But I realized something today.  Being a beginner means that I have LOTS of opportunities to set new records for "personal best"!  So instead of thinking about what I could have done twenty years ago, instead I'm going to look at it like I just accomplished x for the first time in my life!  Yay me!  :D

• Like 7

This affects your body completely differently than coffee. Oi. Pregnant lady morning grammar. :svengo: If it's convenient stop by a GNC and talk to them about it. An actual GNC, not a partial one in a store. Those guys are great. And ask them for coupons.

Will do!  There's a GNC in a shopping center that we go to frequently, so that's an easy thing to do.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Went to the gym first thing this morning for leg day with my husband.  It's so much more fun to have a workout buddy!  I guess he must have enjoyed it too, because he suggested we make it a regular thing, every Saturday and Tuesday morning.   :)

We did squats, deadlifts, and a couple of those machines that focus on glutes and hamstrings.  It was a tough workout.  I pushed myself harder than I would have if I'd been alone, which is another advantage to having a workout buddy, I guess.  I may be really sore tomorrow, but it's worth it.

Since I've gotten interested in weight-lifting, I've kind of been regretting the fact that I didn't do this in my 20's, when I was young and healthy and my body would have responded to it so much more quickly.  But I realized something today.  Being a beginner means that I have LOTS of opportunities to set new records for "personal best"!  So instead of thinking about what I could have done twenty years ago, instead I'm going to look at it like I just accomplished x for the first time in my life!  Yay me!   :D

And you're starting 20 years earlier than I did!  

What matters is starting! :) 

There's always this lady for inspiration (though my personal trainer had fits about her form.) http://time.com/4275204/78-year-old-woman-deadlift-225-pounds/  She started in the gym at age 76!

• Like 1

And you're starting 20 years earlier than I did!  

What matters is starting! :)

There's always this lady for inspiration (though my personal trainer had fits about her form.) http://time.com/4275204/78-year-old-woman-deadlift-225-pounds/  She started in the gym at age 76!

Wow!   :thumbup1:   She's amazing!  I'm trying to get my mom to start lifting as well, I'm definitely sending this to her.  Thanks for sharing it!

It's never too late.   :001_smile:

Off to a good start! Activities are starting to drop off the calendar, so I will not have three afternoons a week where I am shuttling one kid across town with the others in tow. That means I can get back to my regular gym time rather than squeezing it in between the aforementioned shuttling. 

I have been working on a new strength routine this week. Strength has been getting a bit of the short stick because I wasn't able to take class at the gym due to scheduling conflicts. I need to figure something out for my legs besides lunges; they are not making my knee happy, but enjoying the new routine thus far. 

Still getting in my daily steps. I broke my amazing streak in early April when several at my house got a funky little puke thing, including me. I had hit a minimum of 30 minutes activity and 5 miles every day from December 26th-April 8! Man, was I sad to not be able to walk that day. I was back on track the next day, but was still sad to break that streak. 

• Like 4

Off to a good start! Activities are starting to drop off the calendar, so I will not have three afternoons a week where I am shuttling one kid across town with the others in tow. That means I can get back to my regular gym time rather than squeezing it in between the aforementioned shuttling. 

I have been working on a new strength routine this week. Strength has been getting a bit of the short stick because I wasn't able to take class at the gym due to scheduling conflicts. I need to figure something out for my legs besides lunges; they are not making my knee happy, but enjoying the new routine thus far. 

Still getting in my daily steps. I broke my amazing streak in early April when several at my house got a funky little puke thing, including me. I had hit a minimum of 30 minutes activity and 5 miles every day from December 26th-April 8! Man, was I sad to not be able to walk that day. I was back on track the next day, but was still sad to break that streak. 

My knees don't like lunges either!  I'm able to do squats, deadlifts, step-ups, things like that.  But man, my knees really protest when I attempt lunges.  Hope you can find something that works for you.

I'm sorry that illness broke your awesome streak.  That is disappointing.

• Like 1

One hour Zumba ripped dvd today.

I feel better and stronger, but I do wish I was *seeing* more results - whether it is the number on the scale, or looser fitting clothes, or something. At the same time, I had radioactive iodine in November for hyperthyroid, was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago with hypothyroid and am in the process of dr. adjusting meds, trying to get that all under control. So maintaining with hypothyroid issues is probably a good thing, right? Right?  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 5

That leg workout on Saturday was so intense that I have been super sore since then.  So sore that I was hobbling around on Sunday and couldn't even walk with my normal gait.  So sore that I was a lazy bum on both Sunday and Monday.  So, the lesson here is:  don't get so sore that it completely disrupts your routine!  You'd think I would have thought of that before telling my husband, "sure, I can do one more set!" but no, I always have to learn things the hard way! 

I'm going to try to get back to normal activity levels today by doing some cardio.  That's why I'm posting.  To obligate myself to do it!  The soreness is just a twinge this morning, so I think I should be able to do some cardio today.

• Like 1

I've been doing lots of gardening and yardwork the past few days---functional fitness! Yesterday at training I deadlifted 150 lb for the first time. The plates were raised about 2" off the platform (sitting on other plates) which made it easier than lifting straight off the ground but still :)

This is my second messed-up week due to dd's AP testing. I cannot wait for next week!

Today: perhaps some weeding and cleaning up, assuming it doesn't rain heavily

Tomorrow: have to drive dd an hour to take an AP test; may walk around the school parking lot like a weirdo if the weather cooperates

Thursday: see above; add the weekly bootcamp class

Friday: training session usually scheduled for Wednesday

• Like 3

I've been doing lots of gardening and yardwork the past few days---functional fitness! Yesterday at training I deadlifted 150 lb for the first time. The plates were raised about 2" off the platform (sitting on other plates) which made it easier than lifting straight off the ground but still :)

This is my second messed-up week due to dd's AP testing. I cannot wait for next week!

Today: perhaps some weeding and cleaning up, assuming it doesn't rain heavily

Tomorrow: have to drive dd an hour to take an AP test; may walk around the school parking lot like a weirdo if the weather cooperates

Thursday: see above; add the weekly bootcamp class

Friday: training session usually scheduled for Wednesday

I am always the weirdo walking around parking lots when I am waiting on a kid.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

I am starting TODAY.  

I walked for 1.75 miles.  That was all I could do.  Or rather, all I could do and still be able to do it again tomorrow.  I am starting a bit slow and working my way up.  I would like to get to 10K steps per day on a regular basis, maybe even getting beyond that, but that is goal #1.  And I would like 3 miles of that to be on the treadmill per day.

I am also starting the 21 day fix today.  I am not doing the exercise program, and am opting for walking/jogging instead, but I did buy the containers on Amazon.

My real goal is to lose 25 pounds by the end of Sept. if at all possible.  That is only about 1.5 pounds per week.  I am hoping I can do it.

• Like 6

Hi everyone!  I've been MIA, but that's because I've been super busy as well as super stressed.

My oldest graduated from college.  She's currently hoping to find a job in her field, which is music education.  She's willing to move, but it will not be easy.  We haven't started exploring what to do if that doesn't happen, because I know she'll get discouraged.  Hopefully, she knows something my the end of June.  If she knows nothing by then, she will have to explore other options.

We also have a lot going on that I wish I could share online. I could use some advice and just the chance to vent, but I can't. :(  Maybe soon.

Anyway, I've been doing well being consistent with my running.  Today was a fairly horrible run.  I couldn't run in the morning because of a thunder storm, but I was so stressed out.  I got some paperwork done then ate lunch.  I then went running about 90 minutes after lunch.  I felt sick from lunch, it was hot, and my body felt as if I was going to have a panic attack.  I kept going for 3.5 miles.  It felt awful the entire time.  But then I went home, and after stretching I felt much better. Running really is great therapy. 

I'm also working on upper body doing a push-up challenge, snatches, and a pull-up guide (which is an 8 week program to get you to a pull up).  Today was 16 push-ups on a high incline, 50 snatches with my 12kg bell, and 3 sets of 3 pull ups using the purple band.  

I've missed everyone, and enjoyed reading through everyone's posts.

Slache, I recently purchased a WOSS trainer and I'm happy with it.  I can't compare it to a TRX because I've never used one.  The WOSS is working great on my closet door.  

• Like 3

Sorry to read about your troubles :( Hopefully your daughter finds a job soon.

What pull-up program are you doing? I've been working on them for Silks but could use some focus. I had hoped to have one nailed by my b-day(I've got 7 wks to go :) ).

Hi everyone!  I've been MIA, but that's because I've been super busy as well as super stressed.

I'm also working on upper body doing a push-up challenge, snatches, and a pull-up guide (which is an 8 week program to get you to a pull up).  Today was 16 push-ups on a high incline, 50 snatches with my 12kg bell, and 3 sets of 3 pull ups using the purple band.  

• Like 1

Sorry to read about your troubles :( Hopefully your daughter finds a job soon.

What pull-up program are you doing? I've been working on them for Silks but could use some focus. I had hoped to have one nailed by my b-day(I've got 7 wks to go :) ).

I'm using Lauren Brooks' Pull up guide for Women

I did the 4 week pre- pull up section, now it's an 8 week program that focuses on progressions.

Some of the stress is troubles, some is possible changes in our lives........

• Like 2

I'm still not doing great on my workouts.  Today was supposed to be my circuit training class, but I woke up in so much pain (piriformis syndrome) that I was barely able to hobble around the house.  I couldn't have done the class.  I did my physical therapy exercises and stretches most of the morning, and then I was able to go on a 2-mile walk with hubby, so it's feeling a lot better now.  I'll try to do another walk this evening when it cools off a bit, but that's going to be all for me today.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I'm still not doing great on my workouts. Today was supposed to be my circuit training class, but I woke up in so much pain (piriformis syndrome) that I was barely able to hobble around the house. I couldn't have done the class. I did my physical therapy exercises and stretches most of the morning, and then I was able to go on a 2-mile walk with hubby, so it's feeling a lot better now. I'll try to do another walk this evening when it cools off a bit, but that's going to be all for me today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Working out doesn't just happen. You will get better at it and the transition will be difficult, but this whole "I hurt too much to work out" thing WILL go away! I promise! You're doing well. Much better than me when I started!

Working out doesn't just happen. You will get better at it and the transition will be difficult, but this whole "I hurt too much to work out" thing WILL go away! I promise! You're doing well. Much better than me when I started!

Thank you, Slache.  This is very uplifting!  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I did the 4 week pre- pull up section, now it's an 8 week program that focuses on progressions.

When I started pull ups I did so with my foot on a chair. I wasn't strong enough to pull myself up but that worked the right muscles the right way. If you're not satisfied with your book try that.

Eta: Pushing the chair away makes it harder.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

Kim, I hope everything works out well regarding your daughter finding a job and the other things going on in your life.  

That pull-up program sounds pretty neat.  I've often wanted to be able to do pull-ups.  I haven't done a single one since I was just a little kid!  I'm not exactly strong in my lower body, but I am pathetically weak in my upper body.  Can't do full push-ups either (I'm doing incline push-ups, if that's the right term, to try to work up to that).  

• Like 3

My gym even has one of those pull-up assist machines, that "takes" part of your bodyweight to make it easier.  But do I ever use it?  Of course not.  :lol:  I have been doing lat pull-downs, though, and I assume that works many of the same muscles.  I'll get there eventually.  Right?  :)

• Like 1

My gym even has one of those pull-up assist machines, that "takes" part of your bodyweight to make it easier. But do I ever use it? Of course not. :lol: I have been doing lat pull-downs, though, and I assume that works many of the same muscles. I'll get there eventually. Right? :)

I didn't know that was a thing! We don't go to the gym. We'z poor. I'm going to say something very unchristian. Brace yourself. Being able to do push ups and pull ups makes me feel like a total bad @$$. Seriously. It was so. hard. to get there though. It will be easier for you because you're not a cow.

• Like 4

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

When I started pull ups I did so with my foot on a chair. I wasn't strong enough to pull myself up but that worked the right muscles the right way. If you're not satisfied with your book try that.

Eta: Pushing the chair away makes it harder.

I progressed to chin-ups using P90x before - lots of negatives to start and jumping pull-ups but that has been 2 pregnancies ago. This fall I almost got a chin-up but then my thyroid crashed and I had to stop working hard and lost so much strength! These days I'm mostly working pulls- not chins- because in Silks they only have us work pull-ups and those are so much harder than chin-ups. I got great grip for hanging from the Silks. I've been working on my negatives and hangs and I do lat exercises as we practice that a lot to make sure we stay engaged. I need a specific program to follow though as on my own winging it I'm not very studious! I do have bands but I don't use them as I've found I don't seem to make good progress with them, same with the assisted pull-up machine- never got to a pull-up using that thing.

I was just looking at this program and considering it (while waiting for your reply)--

http://www.marines.mil/Portals/59/Docs/PullupTrainingProgramNovice.pdf

• Like 2

Kim, I hope everything works out well regarding your daughter finding a job and the other things going on in your life.  

That pull-up program sounds pretty neat.  I've often wanted to be able to do pull-ups.  I haven't done a single one since I was just a little kid!  I'm not exactly strong in my lower body, but I am pathetically weak in my upper body.  Can't do full push-ups either (I'm doing incline push-ups, if that's the right term, to try to work up to that).  

Most women are weak in their upper body, unless they are specifically working hard at it- that is not something that comes easy to women. Which is why it makes us feel like a badass as Slache said :) Don't feel like a scrawny weakling. You start where you are at. I remember the first time I tried a push-up ages ago and ended on my face, I made it to 1-arm push-ups eventually and would do 100 at a time in sets of 25. (I'm not there right now- especially as I've backed off with hurting my shoulder- I work pulls more than pushes these days). We like results to be fast but generally it takes time and the older we are the more we have to watch it. I hurt my shoulder last summer progessing too fast w/ chaturangas(like a tricep push-up). I still have to watch my shoulder in various moves- because my shoulders are off I tend to use my right one more.

Anyway, the lat pulls are good and if you want to work on pull-ups eventually I'd advise just to start working on dead hangs- get comfortable with hanging there. Then work on bent arm hangs- jump or step up and hold youself at the top of the bar for as long as you can. Then you can progress to negatives- which is starting at a bent arm hang and lowering down as slow as possible. They say once you hit 30 seconds you can probably do a chin-up- chin-ups use more biceps and are usually easier than pull-ups(hands facing away).

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I didn't know that was a thing! We don't go to the gym. We'z poor. I'm going to say something very unchristian. Brace yourself. Being able to do push ups and pull ups makes me feel like a total bad @$$. Seriously. It was so. hard. to get there though. It will be easier for you because you're not a cow.

My husband's employer has an arrangement by which we get a discount, otherwise we wouldn't go to the gym either.  :)  

Wait, is it unchristian to be a bad@$$??  'Cuz I really, really want to be a bad@$$!!!!  :lol:  I noticed that NROL for Women said something about being a goddess on the cover, while Strong says bad@$$.  I'd much rather be the latter, so I think the change was an improvement.  ;)

Okay, first of all, please don't imply that you're a cow, because you're my awesome, encouraging, internet fitness coach and bud and you deserve respect.  And secondly, trust me, if you saw my skinny toothpick arms you would realize that it's going to be a looooong journey for me!  :lol:

Most women are weak in their upper body, unless they are specifically working hard at it- that is not something that comes easy to women. Which is why it makes us feel like a badass as Slache said :) Don't feel like a scrawny weakling. You start where you are at. I remember the first time I tried a push-up ages ago and ended on my face, I made it to 1-arm push-ups eventually and would do 100 at a time in sets of 25. (I'm not there right now- especially as I've backed off with hurting my shoulder- I work pulls more than pushes these days). We like results to be fast but generally it takes time and the older we are the more we have to watch it. I hurt my shoulder last summer progessing too fast w/ chaturangas(like a tricep push-up). I still have to watch my shoulder in various moves- because my shoulders are off I tend to use my right one more.

Anyway, the lat pulls are good and if you want to work on pull-ups eventually I'd advise just to start working on dead hangs- get comfortable with hanging there. Then work on bent arm hangs- jump or step up and hold youself at the top of the bar for as long as you can. Then you can progress to negatives- which is starting at a bent arm hang and lowering down as slow as possible. They say once you hit 30 seconds you can probably do a chin-up- chin-ups use more biceps and are usually easier than pull-ups(hands facing away).

Wow, I am in awe!  That is very inspiring!  And I appreciate the advice regarding the dead hangs, etc.  I never would have thought to do that!

• Like 1

Okay, first of all, please don't imply that you're a cow, because you're my awesome, encouraging, internet fitness coach and bud and you deserve respect. And secondly, trust me, if you saw my skinny toothpick arms you would realize that it's going to be a looooong journey for me! :lol:

:001_wub:

• Like 2

Wow, I am in awe!  That is very inspiring!  And I appreciate the advice regarding the dead hangs, etc.  I never would have thought to do that!

Hanging is a lot harder than you think because we just don't do it, our grips our weak and it takes core strength and engagement. It is a really good place to start- and you can start on anything really- we have grapevines around here and I like to hang on them to toughen my hands, I do the monkey bars w/ the kids and have a pull-bar- oh and tree branches- it is a versatile exercise!

• Like 1

My Mother's Day gift this year was a new pair of running shoes.  :D  So I decided to break them in this morning with a little HIIT workout:  run/walk intervals.  The weather was perfect this morning:  cool, clear, and dry.  Gorgeous day.  It was fun.

• Like 4

Ugh! I feel like I was hit by a truck. Every muscle in my body aches. I'm really hoping it is because of fight club and not because I'm sick. It is probably all the breakfalls I did. So today is a forced rest day.

Hopefully it passes. Fight Club sounds so cool, don't think it would be my thing but it sounds exciting.

I'm looking at the Cross Core which is like a TRX except that the straps are not fixed, they're on a pulley system.

http://www.crosscore.com/en/

On a side note I was looking at paperwork yesterday and realized that I injured my back last June. This means that I have not had a decent workout in almost a year. No wonder I'm losing my mind!

That reminds me of Silks and Aerial Yoga- quite often the Silks are on Spinners- it is hard enough to keep balanced but then put it on a spinner- totally ups the core work to stabilize but man it is hard.

• Like 1

That reminds me of Silks and Aerial Yoga- quite often the Silks are on Spinners- it is hard enough to keep balanced but then put it on a spinner- totally ups the core work to stabilize but man it is hard.

I'm watching aerial silks on YouTube. You're like a frigging Cirque du Soleil worker!

• Like 1

I'm watching aerial silks on YouTube. You're like a frigging Cirque du Soleil worker!

Ha, I'm not like a Cirque, most things I can do so far are in the realm of- that doesn't look too hard (until you try it). Just did my first drops this week. However, I really want to be good at this so I keep on working and working at it.  My personal Silk hero is Laura Dasi, she is in her 40s and only started in her 30s as a mom of 2--(I just laugh when I read some people starting "late" and they are in their 20s- Ha!)

In this video she starts with a russian climb(I can do that) then she goes into a drop- I just did my first basic drop this week, no where near that complicated. You will see she hangs and then flips up and spreads her legs, that is a straddle up- I'm working on those. We do a lot of work with foot locks and such. At my new place we also do flying trapeeze(ie not stationary) that is crazy cool- although you can rip your skin off.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Hopefully it passes. Fight Club sounds so cool, don't think it would be my thing but it sounds exciting.

It's pretty much just learning fighting techniques. It's more self defense oriented than actually sparring with people but it isn't solely self defense moves. The idea behind it is to actually give you the confidence to be able to fight if you are in that situation. But to also know when it's a better idea to run.

• Like 4

Today was a morning run, 4.5 miles.  I ate to much junk food last night and I felt it this morning.:D

I came home and did 60 snatches, and then 19 incline push-ups.  I work on the pull ups later today.

You'all are very inspiring with your upper body work. I have always had toothpick arms, and upper body is really hard more me.  

• Like 3

Today was a morning run, 4.5 miles.  I ate to much junk food last night and I felt it this morning. :D

I came home and did 60 snatches, and then 19 incline push-ups.  I work on the pull ups later today.

You'all are very inspiring with your upper body work. I have always had toothpick arms, and upper body is really hard more me.  

Yesterday I had aerial yoga and pilates and I can see I am so much stronger but then there are still some things that are hard. I've seriously slacked on push-ups since I hurt my shoulder last summer. Gah. I can see improvement but there is always more to improve and then steps backward. I was just thinking I need to get it in gear again but then I think I got to watch it or I'll hurt myself again. I think some days it is easy to see our strengths and some days it is easy to see our weaknesses.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

A one-hour zumba dvd, plus a quick 1km walk to burn off some steam. Have had four crappy phone calls in the past few weeks, and am so done being the bad guy already. Felt much better after my walk and could get back to zumba.

• Like 3