Menu

Huge earthquake in Nepal...

Stacia

I've always had a fascination with Nepal & Mt. Everest with Nepal being on a list of places I would love to visit someday.

Sad to hear that they had a massive earthquake today with hundreds (possibly getting into the thousands) killed. Much damage is centered in Katmandu. It apparently also triggered an avalanche on Mt. Everest that has killed some climbers & trapped others.

New York Times article

The Daily Mail article (many photos)

• Like 2

I just saw this, oh no! It makes me so grateful for the building codes which have saved countless lives over the last few decades. My husband (a civil/structural engineer) showed me some fascinating data from the Turkish and Indian earthquakes and their 'survivability' was directly linked to whether the buildings were up to the country's currently adopted building and seismic codes or not. Even in Nepal and Chile the properly constructed structures had minimal damage and critical failure and the improperly designed and built ones were the death traps.

It's such a massive public safety issue - and something that can be mitigated enormously by choices made in design and construction. We are praying the loss of life was minimal today :

It's terrible. There are almost 1000 confirmed deaths in Nepal so far as well as India, Tibet, and Bangladesh.

Oh man, that death toll climbed fast from what I heard earlier this morning. I'm praying that's the end of it :(

I've seen some pretty heartbreaking photos.   I remember when I first saw it, it was 500 dead....then 1000....then 1300.  I'm regretting what the final total may be.

I'm also worried about how difficult it may be to get aid into Nepal.

Saw this article on orgs that are helping.  http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-25/how-help-nepal-7-vetted-charities-doing-relief-work-following-earthquake

My neighbors were there when it happened, after touring through India last week. They are still in Kathmandu, trying to get home. They finally got boarding passes yesterday to fly home, but after waiting 7 hours at the airport, their flight was either full or canceled. So they slept on the floor of a restaurant, grateful that they had food, water, and shelter from the rain. I have been glued to her Instagram account for the last few days, hoping they are able to get home safely.