Menu

Another need a book suggestion plea

lewber

Need book ideas for DS12 who is a reluctant reader, but needs to read more. His reading level is at the high school level but he really likes funny goofy humor aimed to a younger audience. The only books he's ever really really enjoyed are Roald Dahl,  He read all of those voluntarily in second grade, but hasn't read much since. Would be helpful if it has a great hook from the beginning. He has tried and put down Harry Potter, Lemony Snicket, Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings. He just does not like to read, but I think his reading comprehension, spelling and vocabulary are suffering. FWIW he's in public school and has done the required reading, but this year he has time to do more and I'd love to find something he would love to read. Bonus points for any classics that he and I would both enjoy. I could read along and discuss. That would be fun.

Thanks in advance!

He has read the Clements books. Right up his alley for sure! Did not like Rick Riordan. He has the first Benedict Society and didn't want to a few years ago, but that is definitely worth a try again. I think he would like those. We have the Bluebear book too. I'll get that back out and try it again!

He is also very into psychology if that makes something click for anyone. 

Thanks!!

He has read the Clements books. Right up his alley for sure! Did not like Rick Riordan. He has the first Benedict Society and didn't want to a few years ago, but that is definitely worth a try again. I think he would like those. We have the Bluebear book too. I'll get that back out and try it again!

He is also very into psychology if that makes something click for anyone. 

Thanks!!

Wow, guess I should have kept reading.  I'm really surprised he didn't like the Percy Jackson books.  Not everyone in my family liked the Egyptian series (Kane chronicles), but we all enjoyed the Greek set.

I hope you will share anything you find that appeals to him!

The Larklight Trilogy by Philip Reeve

Phantom Tollbooth?

Beverly Cleary (Mouse and the Motorcycle, Henry Huggins...)

Guys Read: Funny Business edited by Jon Scieszka (These are short stories)

I've heard good things about Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt (He also wrote The Wednesday Wars)

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Holes by Louis Sachar (some language)

My 13yo likes the Origami Yoda books.  Also Clueless McGee, and I like them, too!  lol

Books by M.T. Anderson (Pals in Peril series)

There are few classics that we would probably consider funny, quite honestly.  LOL  They read Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja, Kung Pow Chicken, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc. with abandon and I let them.  :P

I'll try the Lightening Thief again. I've heard that suggestion from more than just the Hive.

I have several of these books already because I thought he would like them when I first heard about them. I will try those. I think I might start with wonder. An easy read but so good. I read it when I got it for him.

I'm also happy to say he's read several of these suggestions. Maybe he's not so bad off after all. Ha!

Does he like more 'real' things? More humor? 

My reluctant reader liked My Side of the Mountain and other outdoor survival books, the Dr. Proctor fart powder series (Jo Nesbo), Moomintroll series (Tove Jannsen), the Baseball Card legends series (Dan Gutman), and Cheaper By the Dozen. He also liked the Fudge books when he was younger. 

Does he like more 'real' things? More humor? 

My reluctant reader liked My Side of the Mountain and other outdoor survival books,

I was going to ask that too. Ds liked My Side of the Mountain. He also read the next two in the series, though he couldn't get into either of the last two. Another survival book he enjoyed was Hatchet

What I'm hearing is offbeat, funny, contemporary books, yes?

Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos - funny, dark, weird, historical fiction, recent Newbery book

Anything by Daniel Pinkwater... we just read Alan Mendolsohn, the Boy from Mars and that was a good starter (it's in Five Novels). Everything by Pinkwater is weird. Really, really weird and really funny. Young Adult Novel is short and funny too.

Fake Mustache by Tom Angleberger - Angleberger is much better known for his Origami Yoda books (also potentially a good pick) but this is our favorite and it's definitely hilarious.

If he'd maybe prefer something more fantasy oriented, then I'll second Artemis Fowl and the Terry Pratchett mentioned up thread.

One more I'll toss in is Holes, which definitely has some humor and might be up his alley, but is also very serious in other ways. A great book, a Newbery title.

Going off of the "everyday kids" theme with the Clements books which he liked (my boys also really like Clements), I'll toss out a couple of children's classics possibilities... Harriet the Spy because it's an everyday kid with an edge sort of story. Also, The Saturdays, which is old-fashioned and very sweet.