Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW17

Robin M

Robin, it's all your fault!   I spent money on several books today when I have a nice TBR stack and a couple of books in progress.

I tried the random book selection method at Barnes and Noble today, but being the non-conformist rogue that I am, decided I didn't want to read any of the books I found.  So I found myself in front of the "buy 2 get 1 free" table and saw all sorts of titles BaWers have praised over the last 2 years and came home with the first Flavia book, which I'm already 100 pages into, The Night Circus, and Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks.  I also picked up a travel book on Great Britain as we are thinking of heading there next year.  

I'm at a point in my book buying addiction where I want to hide my most recent purchases from my dh -- tuck them in different rooms so the growing piles don't look so obvious...

I have The Night Circus in my tbr stack, too. But at the library today I picked up another book that I had on request, The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay so that will be first.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm struggling with Nora Roberts' Shadow Spell too. I usually whip through one of her books in a day and it's been a full week... and yeah, not even halfway through because I keep doing other things. I keep choosing meh books. I need a series or something that I can really dig into. 

I'm struggling with Nora Roberts' Shadow Spell too. I usually whip through one of her books in a day and it's been a full week... and yeah, not even halfway through because I keep doing other things. I keep choosing meh books. I need a series or something that I can really dig into. 

Not quite sure what types of books you like most, but have you read the Iron Druid series? Lizzie in MA recommended them awhile back & I think they're great fun.  (I've read a few of the series; dh & dd both sped through all the books.)

http://kevinhearne.com/books

(Ohhh. And I just noticed that book 7 is slated for release this summer. I know something that will end up on dd's b-day list!)

Btw, gals who haven't read The Night Circus... you're in for a treat, imo. Gorgeous descriptions in that book.

I will have to add it to my pile!  Notice I have quit calling it a stack........

Darwin's puzzle cards.....what fun!  Only problem would be people would want to collect them all.  Can you imagine all the requested he would get because his acquaintance s lost their card?  :)

Dd read The Night Circus this year and really enjoyed it.  She said I should try it again (as I didn't get very far my first go around despite the love here).  Maybe I'll get around to it this year.

I have multiple stacks  ;)

I started Band of Angels earlier this week but then put it back on the shelf.  I'm not quite ready for it yet and want to enjoy it.  I love the movie.  Instead I pulled out another Georgette Heyer.  We are going to be taking a survey trip out toward Kansas City, Tulsa, and Wichita soon because dh's job wants him to move.  Our lives are in too much limbo until a decision is made, and I think I will just stick to easy peasy reads while ignoring real life.   :blush:   So I haven't read anything yet this week but a couple more Cantos of Dante, good thing I'm ahead.

Love the Darwin and Dahl cards.

But at the library today I picked up another book that I had on request, The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay so that will be first.

That looks interesting.

Btw, gals who haven't read The Night Circus... you're in for a treat, imo. Gorgeous descriptions in that book.

I was just thinking I should perhaps reread it. I don't usually reread books except for Austen, but The Night Circus would be a great one to reread.

Hello everyone!  I haven't been doing any book reading for months now, although I have been reading a ton of subtitles.  Can tv shows count?  LOL

I saw this today, and wanted to share:

Shakespeare, 450 Years Later

I've only seen three of the movies mentioned, and I have to say I'm clearly on Team Branagh for the Much Ado About Nothing adaptation.

Stacia, the book on 80s bands looks awesome.  I think my dh would like it, too, since he loves the music so much.  Thanks for the recommendation!

I hope everyone had a blessed Easter!!

Hi folks.

Sooo, I think the year I lowered my goal to 30 books is the year I hit 52 in April! Of course 40 or so are Joan Smith titles while being ensconced at Flufferton Abbey. Throw in a P&P fanfic sequel (The Other Mr. Darcy, it wasn't bad ... The author managed yo make Caroline Bingley a character you can care about. Shocking I know.)

Amy, I'm so sorry about your aunt's friend. Stacia happy anniversary! VC, I hope you had a blessed Lent and am glad you're back!

Angel, I can't believe you disparaged my favorite Austen book in Mansfield Park. Then, I tend to identify with Fanny Price. And Elinor Dashwood.

I have read only one chapter in History of the Ancient World, but I think I'm ready to leave Regency England for real this time and get back to my regular reading.

It feels good to catch back up with you all.

I finished up 2 books this week:  #23 Urchin and the Heartstone by McAllister (a readaloud with DS10 reviewed here) and #24 Michael Vey: the Prisoner of Cell 25  by Evans (thanks for bringing it to my attention Angel) and reviewed it as well.  I also started and stopped Herodotus because I just don't have the time or focus to get through it right now.  Instead, I'll focus on my in progress list for the remainder of this week.

To be read:

Medea to discuss with DD

In progress:

Bible - finished 2 Samuel and 1 Kings, a few chapters behind in 2 Kings but hope to catch back up by the end of the week

History of the Ancient World by Bauer - up to chapter 34, hopefully will make 40 by the end of the week

Till We Have Faces by Lewis - about halfway through and not sure I want to finish, may just use the Omnibus questions to discuss with DD

Black Order by Rollins - just started

Finished:

24.  Michael Vey: the Prisoner of Cell 25 by Evans (USA)

23.  Urchin and the Heartstone by McAllister

22.  Gregor the Overlander by Collins

21.  The Prince of Mist by Zafon

20.  St. Peter's Fair by Peters (12th century, England)

19.  Monk's Hood by Peters (12th century, England)

18.  Map of Bones by Rollins (BaW rec, Italy/Germany/France)

17.  W.A.R.P. Book 1 The Reluctant Assassin by Colfer

16.  Getting Things Done by Allen (non-fiction 646.7)

15.  Urchin of the Riding Stars by McAllister

14.  Agamemnon by Aeschylus (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

13.  One Corpse Too Many by Peters (12th century, England)

12.  Oedipus at Colonus by Sophocles (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

11.  Oedipus the King by Sophocles  (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

10.  The Week That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Bradley (BaW rec, England)

9.  Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Cain (non-fiction 155)

8.  Sandstorm by Rollins (BaW rec, Oman)

7.  The War of the Worlds by Wells (classic lit, Great Britain)

6.  A Morbid Taste for Bones by Peters (12th century, Great Britain)

5.  Anitgone by Sophocles (ancient lit, Greece, 882)

4.  Secrets of an Organized Mom  by Reich (non-fiction 648.5)

3.  Phantastes by MacDonald (classic lit)

2.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Bradley (BaW rec, Great Britain)

1.  The Odyssey by Homer (ancient lit, Greece 883.1)

Robin, it's all your fault!   I spent money on several books today when I have a nice TBR stack and a couple of books in progress.

I tried the random book selection method at Barnes and Noble today, but being the non-conformist rogue that I am, decided I didn't want to read any of the books I found.  So I found myself in front of the "buy 2 get 1 free" table and saw all sorts of titles BaWers have praised over the last 2 years and came home with the first Flavia book, which I'm already 100 pages into, The Night Circus, and Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by Oliver Sacks.  I also picked up a travel book on Great Britain as we are thinking of heading there next year.  

I'm at a point in my book buying addiction where I want to hide my most recent purchases from my dh -- tuck them in different rooms so the growing piles don't look so obvious...

Totally accept the blame for encouraging the acquisition of books.  Perfectly acceptable to go rogue. I did a few times.  Loved, loved, loved The Night Circus.  Have to laugh because sometimes leave my book bag purchase in the car until hubby goes to work and they can be assimilated into the shelves.

Beautiful and creative. Makes me want to create one of my own.

Not quite sure what types of books you like most, but have you read the Iron Druid series? Lizzie in MA recommended them awhile back & I think they're great fun.  (I've read a few of the series; dh & dd both sped through all the books.)

http://kevinhearne.com/books

(Ohhh. And I just noticed that book 7 is slated for release this summer. I know something that will end up on dd's b-day list!)

I have Hounded on the shelves and look forward to reading it.

:iagree:

I, for one, am down with the shoes.

Shoes. I'm a barefoot type of gal. As much as possible, when possible. Otherwise have several pairs of  nurses clogs bought from allheart.com which are totally comfortable, keep by the door and wear when heading outside.  

So this is what I had to endure yesterday (among many other dinosaur books), Captain Raptor. Parents get a prize for reading books that make their eyes bleed, yes?

Captain Raptor is the bomb! We loved the books and wished he had written more.  Still have them in the shelves and periodically pull out for readaloud fun!

It is the 450th anniversary of William Shakespeare's birthday and World Book Night.    Let me know if you run into anybody giving out free books while out and about today.

Dd read The Night Circus this year and really enjoyed it.  She said I should try it again (as I didn't get very far my first go around despite the love here).  Maybe I'll get around to it this year.

I have multiple stacks  ;)

I started Band of Angels earlier this week but then put it back on the shelf.  I'm not quite ready for it yet and want to enjoy it.  I love the movie.  Instead I pulled out another Georgette Heyer.  We are going to be taking a survey trip out toward Kansas City, Tulsa, and Wichita soon because dh's job wants him to move.  Our lives are in too much limbo until a decision is made, and I think I will just stick to easy peasy reads while ignoring real life.   :blush:   So I haven't read anything yet this week but a couple more Cantos of Dante, good thing I'm ahead.

Hey!  I live in Kansas City ... well one of the suburbs anyway.  I hope you move here.

Actually my husband and I would be happy to give you guys a tour and talk about neighborhoods and areas if you'd like.  We love the area!  

Captain Raptor is the bomb! We loved the books and wished he had written more.  Still have them in the shelves and periodically pull out for readaloud fun!

I'll send my ds and you can read them many times to him. I do have to say that I found myself reading the characters with accents of the crew of Star Trek. That was how I made it through the book. 

I'll send my ds and you can read them many times to him. I do have to say that I found myself reading the characters with accents of the crew of Star Trek. That was how I made it through the book. 

Exactly. Great minds think alike.

We spent today out running errands and enjoying the weather and some beautiful spring flowers.  Naturally we ended up in a discount book shop. Much to my surprise they had a book I have wanted for years but never actually bought.  Bess of Hardwick by Mary Lovell http://www.lovellbiographies.com/bessofhardwick.html.  This will be one of my 16th century reads and looking forward to it.  Fascinating woman who married well many times,  was Queen Elizabeth's close friend, and Mary Queen of Scotland's jailer.  Quite a resume.  

I'm excited by all the Night Circus love. It seems to be quite popular here. Did y'all read it last year or something? I went ahead and put a hold on it on overdrive. Thankfully I'm only the second of two patrons who want it. Unlike a couple of other books where I'm 47 out of 150, or earlier in the month 150 of 150 :glare: And I've got a bunch of paper copies coming my way too, all those Helen Dunmore books thanks to Pam's linky.

I read the Night Circus last year and loved it too. Right now I'm trying out Anton Chekov and am reading The Cherry Orchard. So far it is ho-hum, but at least it's  better than The Death of Ivan Ilyich. :rolleyes:

I checked Night Circus out on my kindle this morning.  I will try to get to it,  all this temptation and enthusiasm is really hard to resist. :)  I remember liking the Cherry Orchard in high school.  Looking forward to it with the dc's.

I don't understand the Hemingway card. I used to live in Key West and of course it was obligatory to visit Hemingway's house and hangouts. The picture, along with "Across the river and into the trees," do not match the Key West Adress.

Very good point. I wonder if the imprint has something to do w/ one of his stories? His hunting trips? Not sure. I do know it looks very 'manly' to me, which seems to be a good fit. LOL.

(And this includes all our recent returners like Giraffe, Violet Crown, Eliana, & any of you gals who have been MIA, whether for a long time or just a short while...) :)

Hello everyone! I haven't been doing any book reading for months now, although I have been reading a ton of subtitles. Can tv shows count? LOL

She's back!

It feels good to catch back up with you all.

World Book Night. Let me know if you run into anybody giving out free books while out and about today.

I thought the gal who does the 'A year of reading the world' blog had a thought-provoking post about World Book Night:

Where's the world in World Book Night?

I'm excited by all the Night Circus love. It seems to be quite popular here. Did y'all read it last year or something?

I read it a couple of years ago (relatively soon after its release, I think).

shukriyya, I've thought of you when I've been reading Atmospheric Disturbances because there have been a few mentions of 'parallel universes'. Lol. So, perhaps in one of those parallel universes, you're also reading Atmospheric Disturbances at the same time & enjoying it?

Hmm, I'll check out the Iron Druid series and The Night Circus. I'm up for anything. I'm really going to need the distraction because my foster son is being reunified with his bio mom this weekend. We've had him for over a year. Sucks. I wouldn't trade a single minute with him but yeah, I'm going to need to get lost in a good book for a bit!

Hmm, I'll check out the Iron Druid series and The Night Circus. I'm up for anything. I'm really going to need the distraction because my foster son is being reunified with his bio mom this weekend. We've had him for over a year. Sucks. I wouldn't trade a single minute with him but yeah, I'm going to need to get lost in a good book for a bit!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

shukriyya, I've thought of you when I've been reading Atmospheric Disturbances because there have been a few mentions of 'parallel universes'. Lol. So, perhaps in one of those parallel universes, you're also reading Atmospheric Disturbances at the same time & enjoying it?

:lol: Yes, I'm very productive in my various parallel universes.

And yet, quoting from the article you linked, this kind of reality would challenge even me... :willy_nilly:

"In a different kind of novel, we would sit back and watch Leo gaslight himself into wrecking his marriage, from time to time stealing glimpses through a peephole at Rema’s secret activities, if any. But Galchen and her narrator prefer radar to romance. Leo likes to picture Rema’s duplicates as figures on a Doppler weather radar pattern. “Let us imagine a source from which a Rema look-alike emerges every second,†he posits. If he “begins walking toward the source of Remas, then a Rema will pass by me more frequently than every second, even though Remas are still exiting the source at the precise rate of one per second.†He calls this the Dopplerganger effect. Immersed in one of these experiences, Leo scrutinizes the Rema mimic, noticing “fine lines of age on her face. Tiny crow’s-feet, and not just when she smiled. ... This look-alike Rema, I began to realize, was not such a perfect look-alike; it would seem Rema was being played by someone older. ... Someone pretty, but not as pretty.†Rema may not have taken a lover, but she has been manhandled by time."

:grouphug:

You are a good soul, being a foster mom, and every minute you gave was precious. I'm sure you made a difference in his life, but know this weekend will be hard. :grouphug:

The Iron Druid series is pure fantasy fluff, good fun with well paced action.  I almost bought the next one in the series but picked up Night Circus instead!

Okay, raise your hand if you're going to be reading The Night Circus in the next couple of weeks.  :seeya:  It seems there are rather a lot of us. I find it interesting the way an idea flows from one body to the next. I don't know who mentioned the book initially but now here we are, many independent breathings later and a bunch of us, scattered across the globe, have now joined intentions to focus our collective minds on the same material.

:lol: Yes, I'm very productive in my various parallel universes.

From Atmospheric Disturbances, here's part of a quote that tickled me...

"... and I remembered that I had other anxieties to which I had intended to be attending."

Yeah, I think I've had days like that too.

Just finished Atlantis Rising by T. A. Barron at my kids' begging.

I am not impressed. The story is simple and predictable.

I am still madly in love with Harry Potter books. Other books of magic pale in comparison. I feel the draw to read HP again; however, I will wait for a few months or a year before I do it.

I will start Christianity, Islam, and Atheism tomorrow for a change.

Just finished Atlantis Rising by T. A. Barron at my kids' begging.

I am not impressed. The story is simple and predictable.

I am still madly in love with Harry Potter books. Other books of magic pale in comparison. I feel the draw to read HP again; however, I will wait for a few months or a year before I do it.

I will start Christianity, Islam, and Atheism tomorrow for a change.

Your post made me think of another book I loved reading to the dc's almost as much as HP.   Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer.  Just found this http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/nancy-farmer/.  I had no clue that she had written so many really diverse books.  I just love her Norse mythology,  probably why I like Kevin Herne.  I need to look for the new one.

Just wanted to add my :grouphug:.  It takes a really special person to foster with love.  Good friend and home ed buddy here fosters.  My family has a hard time when they are returned or adopted, can't even imagine it from the actual foster parents side. 

Also welcome back to everyone who has returned to the thread recently.  It is so nice to have everybody back.  You were missed!

I find it interesting the way an idea flows from one body to the next. I don't know who mentioned the book initially but now here we are, many independent breathings later and a bunch of us, scattered across the globe, have now joined intentions to focus our collective minds on the same material.

You know from Community Reads? That would be the Hive Mind Read....

Love your links!  The hive mind made me chuckle and the other was fascinating.  A couple more requests have gone in....... 

ETA It is fascinating what the search for one book will uncover.  When I clicked on Pam's community reads link there was a link to a book called Empty Mansions.  I knew I already had it on a wait list and after posting went to check it's progress.  Wasn't sure which library so just typed empty mansion into the search engine of one.  I got back three incredible looking books, not what I was looking for but fun stuff......Love rabbit trails.  Yes, I requested them.  The original will take awhile. ;) Two are for Dd but I may end up reading them.

Hello everyone!  I haven't been doing any book reading for months now, although I have been reading a ton of subtitles.  Can tv shows count?  LOL

I saw this today, and wanted to share:

Shakespeare, 450 Years Later

I've only seen three of the movies mentioned, and I have to say I'm clearly on Team Branagh for the Much Ado About Nothing adaptation.

WHY? 

(I'm glad you didn't say A Midsummer Nights Dream, because seriously what was Kevin Kline doing flouncing around in a white suit?)

:grouphug:

WHY? 

(I'm glad you didn't say A Midsummer Nights Dream, because seriously what was Kevin Kline doing flouncing around in a white suit?)

You see.  Now I HAVE to see this.

Obviously, banning myself from the computer so I'll be more productive isn't working.   :lol:   

I finished The Cherry Orchard. I think I must have some kind of mental deficit when it comes to Russian Lit of any kind. The back of the book says it is a comedy. I didn't think it was funny, at all. Maybe they meant the classical definition of a comedy. I just don't get it. In fact, I thought it was a rather petty commentary on human existence. Maybe if I had been Russian peasant, it would be funnier.  If I had to read this stuff all the time, I would probably go into a bottomless depression.  (I apologize to those who enjoy it. My opinion is only my opinion. ) That being said, I'm going to read another of his plays to get the 100 page credit. ;)

Oh, wait. I do like some Russian fairy tales. Does that redeem me?

I finished The Cherry Orchard. I think I must have some kind of mental deficit when it comes to Russian Lit of any kind. The back of the book says it is a comedy. I didn't think it was funny, at all. Maybe they meant the classical definition of a comedy. I just don't get it. In fact, I thought it was a rather petty commentary on human existence. Maybe if I had been Russian peasant, it would be funnier.  If I had to read this stuff all the time, I would probably go into a bottomless depression.  (I apologize to those who enjoy it. My opinion is only my opinion. ) That being said, I'm going to read another of his plays to get the 100 page credit. ;)

I think humor is difficult across cultures.  When I first lived in England, a movie was highly recommended as being hilarious and a bunch of us foreigners picked it up at the video store.  None of us thought it was funny but by the end of the year, I could see the humor in it.  

WHY? 

Being a dork, of course. He does that rather well :lol:

Dh read a lot of Orson Scott Card at one point. We were dating at the time and I made my OSC attempts in an effort to further woo him. I didn't get too far with OSC but dh on the other hand, well, here we are all these years later ;)

I finished The Cherry Orchard. I think I must have some kind of mental deficit when it comes to Russian Lit of any kind. The back of the book says it is a comedy. I didn't think it was funny, at all. Maybe they meant the classical definition of a comedy. I just don't get it. In fact, I thought it was a rather petty commentary on human existence.  Maybe if I had been Russian peasant, it would be funnier.  If I had to read this stuff all the time, I would probably go into a bottomless depression.   (I apologize to those who enjoy it. My opinion is only my opinion. ) That being said, I'm going to read another of his plays to get the 100 page credit. ;)

You're redeemed because your post, particularly the bolded, gave me a good chuckle, a nice way to begin one's day. :D