Menu

*female only content* question about annual exam

swellmomma

I went today for a follow up for the lab work I had done last week and to get my pap done.  The test was not what I am typically used to, initially I didn't even think much of it, it was a new dr.  Now being in a small town I had to deliver the test samples to the lab myself, but unlike the paps I have had done in the past there was not just a swab but a tissue sample as well.  Since then I have had a lot of cramping which is not really easing up.  I tried calling the dr's office but they are closed for the day.  From what I can gather it looks like she did a cervical biopsy in addition to the pap test, but I have never in my life had an abnormal pap exam to warrant it. She never told me what she was doing, so I didn't put 2 and 2 together until after we were done at the lab with the other testing I had to have done today.  Anyway, 2 things, #1 being has anyone else had samples taken like that beyond the swab during a regular pap? There was no pelvic exam like I am used to with an annual exam, just the pap swab and this tissue sample, and her commenting on position of my cervix giving her a hard time getting a visual. # 2 what is the best way to deal with the cramping...I have to leave for an AGM in about 45 minutes and would rather just crawl into bed and rest, so need to do something. 

Does your doctor's office have a nurse's line or a doctor who's on call during off hours? Usually their voice mail or answering service can give you that number. At least you can get some reassurance about what you're feeling, even if you can't speak to your doctor until the morning.

Hope you feel better soon. Ibuprofin is my usual go-to for cramps. :grouphug:

Take some ibuprofen for the cramping - you can take up to 800 mg. 

Was it a thinprep?  (I think that is what the typical pap test is called.)  It is a little brush which goes back into a tube.  What the heck making you take your own samples to the lab???  She should have informed you if she was doing anything other than a pap, in addition to the reason for it.  I've not had a cervical biopsy, but I have had a uterine biopsy.  You would know if you had that one done, though.  It's crampy painful and involves insertion of an instrument into your uterus.

Hope you feel better.  (((hugs)))

Take some ibuprofen for the cramping - you can take up to 800 mg. 

Was it a thinprep?  (I think that is what the typical pap test is called.)  It is a little brush which goes back into a tube.  What the heck making you take your own samples to the lab???  She should have informed you if she was doing anything other than a pap, in addition to the reason for it.  I've not had a cervical biopsy, but I have had a uterine biopsy.  You would know if you had that one done, though.  It's crampy painful and involves insertion of an instrument into your uterus.

Hope you feel better.  (((hugs)))

I took the swab in a tube which is the normal that I have always had done at my old dr's office, in addition to that was a little sample container with a tissue sample in a liquid too.

As for samples to the lab, that's small town for you, there is no way for the lab to pick up samples from the dr's office so they put the sample in a biohazard bag with the req and you drop it off at the lab at the hospital(only lab around).  Weird compared to living in the city but the way it is here.

To the pp the dr's office has no other number to call, just instructions to go to the hospital if there is an emergency.  Maybe I will call the provincial health number, it is a nurse on duty to ask questions, I actually never thought to call them, I have only done so with questions about the kids.

I've had cervical polyps removed for testing during a regular annual exam, and that's what it sounds like.  But the doctor told me what she was doing and why, explained what the possible problems were, etc.  I think it's weird they did something without telling you anything.

Definitely ibuprofen for the cramping.

The cramping has mostly stopped now.  I am going to call the clinic tomorrow morning and find out exactly what was done.  I feel so stupid for not even thinking about it there.  But I had just gotten my other lab results with a requisition to do further testing, and ds15 had gotten his results which resulted in a requisition for a new xray to compare because something weird was found in the first one, and then trying to book yet another appt for next week to go over the new results from this week's testing, and one of the symptoms that had me heading to the dr in the first place was a foggy brain, so yeah. Normally I question everything but this time it was all over, I had been to the lab had further testing done, had ds's xrays done and come home before it occured to me I had no idea what she did that required that other tissue sample.  

That is bizarre! I hope you get an explanation soon! I've had yearly pap smears, and one of them came out slightly abnormal once, so she did the tissue biopsy -- which is what your experience sounded like. It did hurt and caused a lot of cramping!

It sounds like she acted very unprofessionally if she didn't even inform you of what was going on.