Menu

Colleges specifically for students with LDs?

DawnM

I had no idea they existed.

My friend's nephew goes to Beacon College.  He is a senior there and doing very well.  http://www.beaconcollege.edu

I am really interested in checking it out, although they don't have any majors he is particularly interested in.  

They say they are the ONLY college specifically designed for those with LDs.  

But what other colleges cater to students with LDs?  Any????

Dawn

Huh, I have never heard of that school.   Very cool that they have no tuition.

However, it doesn't look like we would qualify region wise and possibly not monetarily.

My cousin spent a semester at College of the Ozarks. It was not a good fit for him but they have some kind of program.

It was recommended highly to my aunt and uncle, but not from someone whose child had the same issues.

Marshall College in West VA used to have a pretty good program-one of my friends who has pretty severe CAPD and other LD issues went there.

Eastern New Mexico University has a good student services department and is quite flexible. I suspect the fact that they have a lot of non-traditional students and students with less than ideal educational backgrounds helps, because it means that they've got a lot of support services in place for ANY student who is struggling if the student takes advantage of it. One of my friends DD's will graduate with her BSN there next year if she continues at the same pace she has been (she's been spreading courses out-her faculty advisors have been good at steering her to what is a reasonable load to do in a semester to avoid putting too many classes with heavy reading/writing loads on the same semester. Luckily, it's an inexpensive school).

I should see what our local schools offer for help.  

It might be necessary for him to spread the 4 year college over 6 years or so and live at home if he can.

I just want something positive for him.

Marshall College in West VA used to have a pretty good program-one of my friends who has pretty severe CAPD and other LD issues went there.

Eastern New Mexico University has a good student services department and is quite flexible. I suspect the fact that they have a lot of non-traditional students and students with less than ideal educational backgrounds helps, because it means that they've got a lot of support services in place for ANY student who is struggling if the student takes advantage of it. One of my friends DD's will graduate with her BSN there next year if she continues at the same pace she has been (she's been spreading courses out-her faculty advisors have been good at steering her to what is a reasonable load to do in a semester to avoid putting too many classes with heavy reading/writing loads on the same semester. Luckily, it's an inexpensive school).

Do they help with LDs or just Autism?

From their website it says you have to get in the usual way (SAT scores and grades and such) and that if you get in, then you contact the Autism department for help with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Dawn

Western Kentucky University's Kelly Autism Program

I have found that there are various degrees of support and some schools don't seem to have much available on line for researching this topic.  I did hear third hand that there are a couple of colleges in Dallas, TX area that have good support systems for kids with learning differences since they have a strong support community for kids with learning issues through many of the specialized private schools there.  Have not had time to do more research on the Dallas info since I just got it last week and was out of town.

I have met one of the professors from Landmark College in Vermont (one of the colleges mentioned above) and what she said sounded great but I have no personal experience with this college.  They are supposed to be great at training your child to find their own best way to function in the world at large, including finding their own strengths, weaknesses and learning styles not only in college but once they enter the work force and try functioning on their own as an adult.  They emphasize outside the box thinking.  One example she used was a couple of girls at the school were having difficulty with a (I think) science class.  They went to the beach and one wrote out the terms in the sand.  Then both of them tried drawing examples and linking concepts with sand sculpting.  They both did great on the test.  Both girls had learned that they needed movement and lots of tactile experience to really remember things and chose to apply that knowledge by going to the beach as a team and work through the difficult concepts.

You might look on the International Dyslexia Association website to see if they have suggestions.  Even if your child is not dyslexic, they may have some ideas.  Also, check with Scottish Rite.  They do a LOT of research on learning issues plus training of professionals.

Groves Academy in Minnesota is a K-12 school that caters specifically to kids with special learning differences and they do a LOT of outreach to the community, as well as providing summer programs for kids that can't or don't go to their school during the normal school year.  They may also have suggestions.  You could get on their website and see if they provide any lists of recommended colleges.

Good luck!

I have found that there are various degrees of support and some schools don't seem to have much available on line for researching this topic.  I did hear third hand that there are a couple of colleges in Dallas, TX area that have good support systems for kids with learning differences since they have a strong support community for kids with learning issues through many of the specialized private schools there.  Have not had time to do more research on the Dallas info since I just got it last week and was out of town.

I have met one of the professors from Landmark College in Vermont (one of the colleges mentioned above) and what she said sounded great but I have no personal experience with this college.  They are supposed to be great at training your child to find their own best way to function in the world at large, including finding their own strengths, weaknesses and learning styles not only in college but once they enter the work force and try functioning on their own as an adult.  They emphasize outside the box thinking.  One example she used was a couple of girls at the school were having difficulty with a (I think) science class.  They went to the beach and one wrote out the terms in the sand.  Then both of them tried drawing examples and linking concepts with sand sculpting.  They both did great on the test.  Both girls had learned that they needed movement and lots of tactile experience to really remember things and chose to apply that knowledge by going to the beach as a team and work through the difficult concepts.

You might look on the International Dyslexia Association website to see if they have suggestions.  Even if your child is not dyslexic, they may have some ideas.  Also, check with Scottish Rite.  They do a LOT of research on learning issues plus training of professionals.

Groves Academy in Minnesota is a K-12 school that caters specifically to kids with special learning differences and they do a LOT of outreach to the community, as well as providing summer programs for kids that can't or don't go to their school during the normal school year.  They may also have suggestions.  You could get on their website and see if they provide any lists of recommended colleges.

Good luck!

I also met someone from Landmark College in Vermont and they seemed to do a lot of out of the box learning.  I remember looking it up later and it was pricey!  I also second the recommendation of contacting Groves Academy.  I have attended workshops there, and though my child is no where near college age, they do have a lot of resources for the college bound student, including college fairs.

As I and others have said, try Groves Academy.  Really and truly it might help.  Get on the website and see if there are any lists of recommended colleges.  If not, call them.  They were really helpful and supportive when I have contacted them in the past and I have been impressed with the seminars they do to try and get information out to educators and the general populace.  This school really does want to help people.  They might be able to help you.

• 10 months later...

Holy Moly!  One year at Landmark is $60K.  

Yeah, tell me about it.  What I have heard is that some parents send their students there just for a year or two, to gain valuable skills, then they transfer to a less expensive school.  Still WAAAY more than we are planning on paying, but I have read good reviews.

Did you ever contact Groves?

Their response was to have my child come to their summer program for the best information.  Guess they didn't want to spend time without some payment or investment.

Yeah, tell me about it.  What I have heard is that some parents send their students there just for a year or two, to gain valuable skills, then they transfer to a less expensive school.  Still WAAAY more than we are planning on paying, but I have read good reviews.

Did you ever contact Groves?

I would love to find a college that would cater to LDs and Asperger's!  I think some do.  I would also love to find a Christian college, but that may be asking too much.

I think there is a Methodist School in VT that does.

Forbes of all places had a recent article on college programs for kids with ASD: http://www.forbes.com/sites/paigecarlotti/2014/07/31/more-colleges-expanding-programs-for-students-on-autism-spectrum/

Hope that helps someone!

You might also look at the book Colleges That Change Lives.  Several people from the board here have gone to Wooster, some with SN, and it's working out well.  Wooster is on the CTCL list. But no, it's not specifically a school for people with LD/SN.  It's more small class size, lots of personal attention, etc.

Also, have you researched certified educational therapists?  They're rather pricy for an insanely good one ($150 an hour around here, done in weekly 1/2 hour increments), BUT for some kids with SN it would make a more typical school more achievable.  There's an org that certifies them if you google.  Apparently some colleges have them on staff and you can specify access as part of their accommodations.  

You asked about christian colleges.  I can tell you one that's NOT doing a good job right now, but that wouldn't help.  ;)  Cedarville is promoting their SN services actively on their website.  I don't know how good a job that functionally turns out to be, but they're promoting it.  Some places are definitely pouring a lot of money into it.  Dr. Carol Reynolds has told in her convention talks about the $$$$$$$ reno and changes SMU (southern methodist university) did.  SMU might be bigger than you want? Get too small and they might not have the services.  Philosophy would help with that, but if they have neither then...  I really don't know how a place like Wooster is for services, haven't looked.  They have a bang-up light opera program they host during the summer, and it's SO good it has really made me wonder about the school.  Like I said, several people from the boards have sent kids there, one specifically with SN.  If you need a little "luck" it might be one to check out.  :)

Thanks Elizabeth.  I spent some time last night looking at Southern Methodist online.    I will look at Wooster.

And PLEASE PM me the one that isn't working!!!!!!!

Ideally I would really like a place within driving distance of our home (within 6 hours???  8 max.)

To compound the LDs, he also has Asperger's.  Smaller might indeed be better, although another option is for him to stay home and attend CC first.  Our CC boasts a great SN program, but I am not yet fully convinced they do a great job with it.  IF he could do his general eds there, get intense tutoring, and live at home for a while, it might be a good option.

It is overwhelming.

My younger son is neuro-typical and his college options are wide open.....it is so very different looking at colleges with him.

Thanks Elizabeth.  I spent some time last night looking at Southern Methodist online.    I will look at Wooster.

Ideally I would really like a place within driving distance of our home (within 6 hours???  8 max.)

To compound the LDs, he also has Asperger's.  Smaller might indeed be better, although another option is for him to stay home and attend CC first.  Our CC boasts a great SN program, but I am not yet fully convinced they do a great job with it.  IF he could do his general eds there, get intense tutoring, and live at home for a while, it might be a good option.

It is overwhelming.

My younger son is neuro-typical and his college options are wide open.....it is so very different looking at colleges with him.

Have you talked to them?  Like made an appointment and actually sat down, asked what they offer, how to get those services, etc.?  If so, what questions did you ask or if you plan to, what questions might you ask?  I am wondering what to ask.

Do you know of anyone with similar issues that is attending right now or attended recently and used any services that you could talk to?  

Also, is your son actually amenable to using services?  As I understand it, one huge issue when SN kids go to college is that many of them want to leave the labels behind and do not wish to use ANY services.  They just don't even seek them out.  I have read from some college support personnel that many services they offer are very underutilized so funding ends up being cut.

Also, have you researched certified educational therapists?  They're rather pricy for an insanely good one ($150 an hour around here, done in weekly 1/2 hour increments), BUT for some kids with SN it would make a more typical school more achievable.  There's an org that certifies them if you google.  Apparently some colleges have them on staff and you can specify access as part of their accommodations.  

Interesting. I'm actually looking into applying for a M.Ed. with a concentration in educational therapy and never considered the possibility of working for a college. That wasn't what I was originally thinking of in terms of a career but given that I've got 3 kids, being on staff of a college with a tuition waiver employee benefit might be very smart idea.

One of the "Colleges that Change Lives" schools is pretty close to me (St. Mary's of CA). It is a Catholic school, though it is not on the Cardinal Newman Society list of recommended colleges.

No.  I have just learned about our local CC within the last week or two.  I haven't actually gone up there at all.

I haven't formulated questions yet.  I am thinking that once we tour Beacon College on our Dec. trip, I can find out what they offer and formulate questions based on some of what I find there or think of after we tour.

Our state doesn't have dedicated Trade Tech schools, they are imbedded in the CC programs.  That is an option that won't require a lot of special services as he won't have to take regular general eds.

There is also a chance that he will not be able to finish a 4 year school.  We want him to have the option should he wish to pursue it, but we have to face reality as well.  MY DREAM would be that he can finish a 4 year school, which is why I am finding out as much info as I can now.....

Dawn

Have you talked to them?  Like made an appointment and actually sat down, asked what they offer, how to get those services, etc.?  If so, what questions did you ask or if you plan to, what questions might you ask?  I am wondering what to ask.

Do you know of anyone with similar issues that is attending right now or attended recently and used any services that you could talk to?  

Also, is your son actually amenable to using services?  As I understand it, one huge issue when SN kids go to college is that many of them want to leave the labels behind and do not wish to use ANY services.  They just don't even seek them out.  I have read from some college support personnel that many services they offer are very underutilized so funding ends up being cut.

My ds is a sophomore at the local CC.  It is a high-rated CC and offers transfer contracts to all the colleges in the state (VA).  He is hearing impaired, dyslexic, and has processing issues due to the hearing impairment.  Our experience at the CC has been outstanding and really key to his success that first year in college.  We had to provide current documentation and our audiologist provided a list of key accommodations that needed to be in place and the disability counselor took care of the rest.  She typed up a NOA and provided enough copies for my ds to hand out to each professor.  She also suggested that he set up a meeting prior to the semester starting with each professor to hand the NOA and just have a general meet and greet.  We did this the first semester and the professors were extremely receptive and appreciative and encouraged my ds to talk with them for help above and beyond what was written on the NOA.  The counselor tracked down a special transmitter that my ds was able to use in one class where the professor wasn't as loud as the others.  The choice for the CC over a 4 year out of the starting gate was truly key in getting him adjusted to the lecture hall/lecture experience.  We did some courses online for note taking/lecture skills but there wasn't the noise and distractions of other students in the home setting so he was able to compensate gradually.  We also found that the first semester, if not the second, too, were very tiring because the brain has to work so much harder with all the stimulation and new surroundings and a big college campus might have been very overwhelming.  We've begun searching for his next step.  His counselor has shared that many of the big colleges just don't do very much for students with disabilities, despite what is written on the campus website.  She shared that he'd probably find it more accommodating at a smaller college with smaller classes.  Under ADA the schools have to provide accommodations but they don't necessarily do a great job so her thoughts were it would be easier to navigate in the smaller setting.  When we looked at the cost of sending him to a school with a dorm experience at the cost was over $30,000 and the local CC to get those 2 year undergrad credits out of the way for under $6,000 it made more sense.  After experiencing that first year with him and it requiring quite a bit of my time helping guide him through the adjustment, we would have most likely spent $30,000 for him to flunk out because he was overwhelmed and exhausted by the changes.  Baby steps have been key...the accommodations were great but slow and steady adjustments were even more key.

Interesting. I'm actually looking into applying for a M.Ed. with a concentration in educational therapy and never considered the possibility of working for a college. That wasn't what I was originally thinking of in terms of a career but given that I've got 3 kids, being on staff of a college with a tuition waiver employee benefit might be very smart idea.

One of the "Colleges that Change Lives" schools is pretty close to me (St. Mary's of CA). It is a Catholic school, though it is not on the Cardinal Newman Society list of recommended colleges.

Sounds like a great idea!  

No.  I have just learned about our local CC within the last week or two.  I haven't actually gone up there at all.

I haven't formulated questions yet.  I am thinking that once we tour Beacon College on our Dec. trip, I can find out what they offer and formulate questions based on some of what I find there or think of after we tour.

Our state doesn't have dedicated Trade Tech schools, they are imbedded in the CC programs.  That is an option that won't require a lot of special services as he won't have to take regular general eds.

There is also a chance that he will not be able to finish a 4 year school.  We want him to have the option should he wish to pursue it, but we have to face reality as well.  MY DREAM would be that he can finish a 4 year school, which is why I am finding out as much info as I can now.....

Dawn

Thanks for explaining, Dawn.  I was curious.  We have a bit of time before we face this for us, but I am hoping to help my nephew go to college.  His insecurities about his learning issues have made him very resistant but at the same time he really, really wants to go and I think it would help his self-esteem.  He did finally get his Driver's License yesterday (yeah!!!!).  He was afraid of the written portion and just would not go take it even though he is in his 20's now.  

Anyway, I am following this thread with interest....

My ds is a sophomore at the local CC.  It is a high-rated CC and offers transfer contracts to all the colleges in the state (VA).  He is hearing impaired, dyslexic, and has processing issues due to the hearing impairment.  Our experience at the CC has been outstanding and really key to his success that first year in college.  We had to provide current documentation and our audiologist provided a list of key accommodations that needed to be in place and the disability counselor took care of the rest.  She typed up a NOA and provided enough copies for my ds to hand out to each professor.  She also suggested that he set up a meeting prior to the semester starting with each professor to hand the NOA and just have a general meet and greet.  We did this the first semester and the professors were extremely receptive and appreciative and encouraged my ds to talk with them for help above and beyond what was written on the NOA.  The counselor tracked down a special transmitter that my ds was able to use in one class where the professor wasn't as loud as the others.  The choice for the CC over a 4 year out of the starting gate was truly key in getting him adjusted to the lecture hall/lecture experience.  We did some courses online for note taking/lecture skills but there wasn't the noise and distractions of other students in the home setting so he was able to compensate gradually.  We also found that the first semester, if not the second, too, were very tiring because the brain has to work so much harder with all the stimulation and new surroundings and a big college campus might have been very overwhelming.  We've begun searching for his next step.  His counselor has shared that many of the big colleges just don't do very much for students with disabilities, despite what is written on the campus website.  She shared that he'd probably find it more accommodating at a smaller college with smaller classes.  Under ADA the schools have to provide accommodations but they don't necessarily do a great job so her thoughts were it would be easier to navigate in the smaller setting.  When we looked at the cost of sending him to a school with a dorm experience at the cost was over $30,000 and the local CC to get those 2 year undergrad credits out of the way for under $6,000 it made more sense.  After experiencing that first year with him and it requiring quite a bit of my time helping guide him through the adjustment, we would have most likely spent $30,000 for him to flunk out because he was overwhelmed and exhausted by the changes.  Baby steps have been key...the accommodations were great but slow and steady adjustments were even more key.

Wow, great post.  I have found this very interesting and informative.

You should talk with TokyoMarie, because I think that's what she's working on.  She is, of course, awesome, and I think anyone who pursues that is AWESOME.  I was super, super impressed with the ladies who did the talk I attended.  Their willingness to get in the brains of SN people and problem-solve, whether it's for school or college or work or whatever, was phenomenal.  It was like a point person in the middle who could really GET it, where most of the other practitioners your student sees are pigeonholed (just psych, just speech, just meds, just...).

Dawn, I think what's distinguishing these small schools, besides services, is their ability to connect the student with his interest and do research projects, summer work with professors, things on campus, etc., things that take advantage of the aspie strengths.  

As far year vs. whatever, I don't know.  My thought would be to be really pragmatic.  You want to find who he is, where he's going to fit into society (or not fit), and have whatever he does gel with his interests so he's willing to do it but also lead into something he can actually do as a viable occupation, whatever that is. Have you gotten any career counseling?  Maybe your cc can do the testing?  I've been told sometimes a psych will do it.    

Actually I can do the career counseling......that is part of what I did as a counselor, however, the Aspie aspect (and LDs) are what is throwing me.  I didn't do a lot of work with special needs students.

He is VERY gifted in art and design and will most likely do something in a creative area.

If he goes into something like Graphic Design, he may not need more than a Trade Tech School.  

He knows what would be necessary to do something like Architecture, what he doesn't see is that he can't just jump in and take ONLY the design classes to get to his career.  

He will need a LOT of extra help, in fact, he may not be able to get through the General Education requirements.  

I have considered getting him retested.  It is a long story as to why he scored at a 2nd grade level for reading and writing at 14, but basically he used what he thought was creative license and used no punctuation or capital letters when he wrote over a page of response to a question.  The content of the writing and the vocabulary used was actually much higher, more of a level two grade levels below where he should/could be.

HOWEVER, if a school that didn't have Art or Design, but could service his needs otherwise, it might not be a bad idea to just get a degree there and specialize later.  Him needing the extra help really is the most important in all of this.

Dawn

Dawn, I think what's distinguishing these small schools, besides services, is their ability to connect the student with his interest and do research projects, summer work with professors, things on campus, etc., things that take advantage of the aspie strengths.  

As far year vs. whatever, I don't know.  My thought would be to be really pragmatic.  You want to find who he is, where he's going to fit into society (or not fit), and have whatever he does gel with his interests so he's willing to do it but also lead into something he can actually do as a viable occupation, whatever that is. Have you gotten any career counseling?  Maybe your cc can do the testing?  I've been told sometimes a psych will do it.    

I need another degree like I need a hole in my head, but I am intrigued as I haven't heard of this one before.

I am looking online and it appears to be a certificate and not a degree?

Can someone elaborate?

You should talk with TokyoMarie, because I think that's what she's working on.  She is, of course, awesome, and I think anyone who pursues that is AWESOME.  I was super, super impressed with the ladies who did the talk I attended.  Their willingness to get in the brains of SN people and problem-solve, whether it's for school or college or work or whatever, was phenomenal.  It was like a point person in the middle who could really GET it, where most of the other practitioners your student sees are pigeonholed (just psych, just speech, just meds, just...).

There are various certifiying organizations, but one of them requires a master's degree in a related field for full certification. Right now all I have is a bachelor's in psychology so that's why I'm looking into a M.Ed. with a concentration in ET. There is an option to get a special ed credential in order to work in PS or private schools that want a credential. I don't plan on doing classroom teaching but I would consider working as a resource specialist doing 1:1 or small-group pullouts if the opportunity was an attractive one.

https://www.aetonline.org/UniversityTrainingPrograms.html

I will also most likely pursue certification as an Academic Language Therapist, which involves completing Orton-Gillingham training like Slingerland or Spalding.

I started looking into the various therapies/interventions that would benefit my youngest and the costs were so high that I might as well get the formal training to do it myself. It's also a career where my time spent HSing is an asset rather than a barrier.

His counselor has shared that many of the big colleges just don't do very much for students with disabilities, despite what is written on the campus website.  She shared that he'd probably find it more accommodating at a smaller college with smaller classes.  Under ADA the schools have to provide accommodations but they don't necessarily do a great job so her thoughts were it would be easier to navigate in the smaller setting.  When we looked at the cost of sending him to a school with a dorm experience at the cost was over $30,000 and the local CC to get those 2 year undergrad credits out of the way for under $6,000 it made more sense.  After experiencing that first year with him and it requiring quite a bit of my time helping guide him through the adjustment, we would have most likely spent $30,000 for him to flunk out because he was overwhelmed and exhausted by the changes.  Baby steps have been key...the accommodations were great but slow and steady adjustments were even more key.

CC for the first college experience is basically what we did. Even though my son was technically still a high school student because of the program he was in, after the first semester, he was taking CC classes. He is just now going away to a four year school and will turn 20yo later this fall. 

It was extremely helpful for my son to make the transition to a college schedule and adult-level expectations while still having support and oversight at home. The first couple of semesters were extremely challenging in terms of keeping all the balls in the air- organizing, asking for help, initiating study time at home on his own, etc. Now that he has 2.5 years of experience under his belt and more overall maturity, I think he's ready to try being on his own. 

Our CC was actually very well set up for students with disabilities. The office of disability services was great, but in my son's case, because so many of the instructors actually did things in a way for all students that eliminated the need for ds to have formal accommodations, he didn't actually "use" his accommodations. These included such things as students being permitted to use laptops for taking notes, as long as they didn't abuse the privilege and tests that were given in the testing center with no time limit.

I have followed many stories of students with special needs who went away to college at barely 18yo and did very poorly because they just didn't have the personal maturity or insight into their learning needs to make it work for them. There are also some stories of students who did very well, but they almost always involve a student who understands and accepts his learning needs and is not ashamed to ask for help when needed.

I need another degree like I need a hole in my head, but I am intrigued as I haven't heard of this one before.

I am looking online and it appears to be a certificate and not a degree?

Can someone elaborate?

OhElizabeth is right about me. I am currently enrolled in an online certificate program for educational therapy and am a student member of AET. I have also been doing some other coursework outside the certificate coursework, including working on a certification in O-G methods and the Level 1 course for NILD. I'm not sure exactly how my own practice will take shape, but I want to be as prepared as possible by having lots of tools in my box. 

I do not have a master's degree at this point. Crimson Wife is right that in order to become fully board certified with AET, the master's degree in a related field is necessary. Since the master's degree with educational therapy as a concentration that is recognized by AET is only available onsite in CA and I live very far from CA, I'm opting to start with the online certificate. If you already have an education related master's degree, Dawn, you would only need to pursue the certificate. 

Thank you.  So, what sort of work could you get within the school system with this?  Or could you?  I haven't worked in PS for the past 9 years so I don't know if this is something new or something that is outside of the school system.

I have actually been looking at possibly getting another MA, this time in something related to Audiology or Speech Therapy.  Here in NC, they make an additional $10K above the teaching or counseling salary.  The pay here is horrible!

CA has a reading specialist credential and most schools have one on staff to do pull-out work with students who need that. The pay is less than working as a private ET but it would offer health benefits and it is possible we might need that if my DH goes to work for a start-up.

Audiology is a doctoral degree and I don't have the undergraduate coursework so it would be even longer. SLP programs are also longer if the undergrad prereqs have not been completed.

If I were still in CA, I would be pursuing my School Psych credentials.  The way their program works is that you finish the School Counseling (PPS) classes and then either stop and become a school counselor OR you can continue with a 2nd year and finish School Psych.

Here it is so different.  They are 2 completely different programs and I would just be starting over completely.

My goal when I finished counseling was to continue on at some point.  But we moved away and I wasn't able to do that.

School Psych jobs here are very hard to get as well.

Speech jobs are always listed.  I am just not sure I would even enjoy that.

Reading Specialists make the same as teachers/counselors, so I really don't think I would be interested in doing that.  I already have 125 semester credits above my BA and am at the top of the salary scale for teachers/counselors.

Dawn

CA has a reading specialist credential and most schools have one on staff to do pull-out work with students who need that. The pay is less than working as a private ET but it would offer health benefits and it is possible we might need that if my DH goes to work for a start-up.

Audiology is a doctoral degree and I don't have the undergraduate coursework so it would be even longer. SLP programs are also longer if the undergrad prereqs have not been completed.

I did look at our CC webpage and there is a whole section on Spec. Ed./LD students.  The page isn't fully developed so my guess is that it is somewhat new.

However, this year or next, I will make an appt. with someone there and go in and find out what they might be able to offer him.

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

Sounds like a good plan Dawn.  This way you'll have plenty of time to gather any documentation or make appointments to get any required paperwork prepped in advance.  Our CC required documentation of disability be current within the past 18 months (or maybe it was a year).  I went just before the counselor appointment and had everything updated so there were no questions asked and no issues.

P.S.  Love your Avie!  Are you from Kenya?  I lived there many moons ago (early 80s).

I really just will be gathering info, would I still need an update?  The Psych office told me not to bother until just before getting ready to apply to colleges.  It is too pricey to keep updating.

Yes, I grew up in Kenya.  I was there in the early 80s!

Dawn

Sounds like a good plan Dawn.  This way you'll have plenty of time to gather any documentation or make appointments to get any required paperwork prepped in advance.  Our CC required documentation of disability be current within the past 18 months (or maybe it was a year).  I went just before the counselor appointment and had everything updated so there were no questions asked and no issues.

P.S.  Love your Avie!  Are you from Kenya?  I lived there many moons ago (early 80s).

Totally unrelated, but Beacon is here in my area!

I've always liked the fact that there was something for my DD close to home that might work (although, it isn't looking like she will be at college level... ever?). 

I know nothing about the school, other than they have a good chunk of the buildings downtown on the end by where we do gymnastics. We definitely are not your typical college town! :p