Menu

Must-Haves for homeschooling sanity with littles?

Amy M

I'm making a purchase list for when we come back to the States in May. I want to get some neat toys/education items that I can rotate to keep my two toddlers busy while I homeschool the olders. I'm anticipating a crazy year or two with my two youngest (turning 2yo and 1yo in April)! :) I've looked at the preschool items from MFW, and a couple of things from Timberdoodle. Can you give me any suggestions on toys or items/games you made up that keep your little toddler hands busy for about 15 minutes or longer if possible? :p TIA

Whew. That could be a very long list. I would look at Pinterest and start there with creating busy bags or boxes to use with the little ones. That's worked with my youngest. I just rotate out her pre-made activities and work with her a bit and she can usually finish on her own or set up on her own. Also you may want to look into montessori activities. Same theory, present them, set them out in baskets or bins or trays and they can keep at it. Also plenty of puzzles and wooden hands on toys and math manipulatives. here's my preschool Pinterest board.

http://pinterest.com/walkingiris/homeschooling-preschool/

I don't know why, but I'm having trouble with Pinterest. Often I can't pin things from the web onto my boards, or everything is gray, even on my own page. I can't access my boards, and just now when I tried to see your page Walking-Iris, I couldn't see anything but the Pinterest header and background. Anyone know what the trouble is?

My 2yo's current favorite is his big brother's GeoTrax train set, but that would be bulky to haul home.

He also enjoys wooden puzzles, board books, blocks, Hot Wheels with a mat, and anything with fitting small objects into something else. Like this. (Search for "lauri pegs" and you'll get gobs of options.)

We've had the best luck here with simple items I already had on hand - magnetic letters, play-doh, puzzles (easy, wooden ones for little ones), finger paint art studio in the bathtub, cheap stickers and paper just to put 'em everywhere, tub of farm animals, legos, lots more. We've just used things I already had for my older kids. I have had great luck with pulling them out just for school time. Another thing we've done here that works great is having either a big one read to a little one, and the real little one spend time in her crib reading while I'm doing one-on-one with an older child. I think I got that idea from SWB. Once my baby no longer needs a morning nap, I still put her in her crib (or on my bed - wherever she is safe - and give her a stack of board books (rotate out to keep them fresh) and maybe a puzzle. She can entertain herself for half an hour. I've done this with all my children, and they can play independently very well.

I realize you were asking for things to purchase available in the states... but I thought this might also give you some ideas. Have fun!

Make the most of toddler nap time and have older preschoolers lay on their bed and rest or look at books for an hour a day. It's nice to have at least one hour of uninterrupted school.

My boys have loved these magnetic letter boards http://www.amazon.com/Kid-O-10346-z-Magnatab/dp/B004PZVX4I/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1361983809&sr=1-5&keywords=magnetic+letter+board. Also their shoebox tub full of rice and one with beans.

The must-haves at our house have varied depending on the toddler. They include:

trains

little dinosaurs

cars

doll house

play mobile figures

play-dough

alphabet letters

white board and marker

pattern blocks

play-dough

stickers

coloring books and crayons

bubbles (out in the sunroom)

board books

This morning ds2 spent nearly 30 min playing with 5 little round markers (or bingo chips) that we use for phonics bingo. He had a blue marker, two yellow markers, a green marker, and a red marker. The blue marker was Thomas, the yellow markers were Annie and Clarabel, the green marker was Percy, and the red marker was James. I can't believe how long he entertained himself with those little things (yes, we do have real trains he could have played with instead). My oldest daughter used to play with frosting tips the same way. Each frosting tip was a Disney princess (imagine the tips as ballgowns and it makes sense). So for us it isn't so much which activity, as it is finding something that catches the toddler's interest.

Although toddler toys and materials are nice to have on hand, the main thing one needs is patience and a willingness to start the day new every day. Schooling with a toddler in the mix is a challenge and the only thing I've found that makes it easier is a willingness to keep on trying. It is a challenging job. The good news is that the babies and toddlers do grow up...and in some ways it does get easier. Right now, though, my littles that are veterans of the homeschooling process are old enough for a lot of independent play, but they don't want to play--they want to do SCHOOL. SO I think I've worked myself out of one challenge into another. :)

I find play doh provides a lot of high interest time, as well as water play. On really desperate days, I have let the little kids go in the bathroom and gave them kitchen items to use for water play.......messy, but it certainly does keep them totally focused.

We tried quite a few things with my little guy (3), but he got very bored on his own. He's used to having his sisters to play with. It might acutally be easier, as you have two littles close together that will hopefully help to keep each other amused. I say "hopefully." LOL Some things that helped here: I limit school manipulatives to school time only, so my little guy only gets the abacus, math bears, etc, during school time. It keeps the novelty from wearing off and it makes him feel like he's "doing school" as well. I also try to have one of the older kids to play with him, in turns, so he isn't always on his own. Having lots of family read alouds and things helps too. GOOD LUCK!

We loved Counting Bears here. You can google "counting bear printables" and find all sorts of pre-made sheets to use with the bucket-o-bears.

Another favorite was plastic pattern blocks, also using pre-made printables that I found online.

I'm not a big technology fan at that age, but the one exception I made was The Talking Letter Factory. My daughter taught herself to read at age 3 using this video and a set of BOB Books.

Other favorites have been mentioned like play-doh, magnetic letters, Lego Duplo blocks, and turning them loose on the patio with a bucket of water and a paintbrush. :o)

Lauri puzzles, stacking pegs, lacing cards, etc. They have some cute Toddler Totes that have an assortment.

Little People...I still catch my older DC playing with these!

Dry erase board and marker...We also put WB pages in a page protector so they are reusable. Kumon has nice WBs for preschoolers.

Math manpulatives are always fun...as long as they aren't trying to eat them! Pattern blocks, geoboards, counting bears, unifix cubes, etc.

I second stickers! My 2 year old is on a sticker craze, and will sit at the table for 10 or 15 minutes at a time just stick them randomly on a big notepad or her own spiral notebook (this is like gold to me for her to sit that long!). Another hit for her is model magic, which I like better than playdoh because it is much neater. She sticks popsicle sticks into blobs of it, and makes little beds and pillows for a small set of plastic animals. I also recently bought her a set of Melissa and Doug animal magnets (for 2 yr olds -- they are not swallow size) which only come out during school time, along with a set of large number magnets, and a wooden number puzzle. She has a little white board on an easel for the magnets. Keeping her set of "school stuff" (which is in a small crate) put up at other times has helped a lot. She will also occasionally play with several shape sorters, some other wooden puzzles, and a set of big counting elephants (ok for 2's, unlike a lot of other counters), but I made the mistake of leaving those things out all the time so she is now bored with them. She is just now learning to cut, so while I am sitting next to her I give her thin strips of paper to cut with round tip scissors which is a big hit; I wouldn't allow cutting unsupervised though!

I have a little schedule/rotation for my 2 year old. The things we routinely pull out

water colors

playdough (I just homemake it though)

Puzzles

sorting items ( I have these large buttons from oriental trading that come in a number of different colors and shapes and she sorts them into little bins by color or shape and they're big enough to not be a chocking hazard)

Pipe cleaners (they can be fun and are useful for homeschool too, I make my 9 yr old spell his hardest words with them)

stamps and washable stamp pads

markers, crayons, etc

And the one she LOVES... my kindle fire. Yeah I used to think never give let littles play video games or watch tv. Um yeah I lost that battle with myself. In my defense she has her own screen with all educational games and books and with spend quite a chunk of time with it. I hand it over any time we really need some quiet time to focus on something with the HSing kids. I have it in a more childproof case as well as having some pretty strict rules for it. It stays on my bed and she/they are not to leave my bed with it. So far so good and it is such a life saver during those times I really just need a half hour to focus with the others.

Christina

Keeping my 4 year old occupied while I need to be hands on teaching my 9 year old is a challenge. I let him sleep in while we start school. I make a few blocks of time for his reading and number practice and games while the older son is reading or doing things on his own. Sometimes we hit the park or library and little guy plays while big guy works or reads. At home, I give him plenty of paper, markers, stuff to cut up, trains, cars, blocks and yes, Dinosaur Train and Reading Eggs.com. Homeschool has made me loosen my standards on screen time. If that makes me a bad mom, oh well. Whatever works. And on the upside, my 4 year old can out pronounce and out explain most adults when it comes to dinosaurs.

It's going to depend a lot on the toddler! My twin 2yo boys couldn't be trusted with paints, scissors, glue, markers, crayons, pencils, or frankly half of the other things listed here for even 2 seconds. The entire time would be spent redirecting them to keep from painting the house or eating the crayons, and you would have to spend an hour cleaning up after the 15 minute project which you didn't get to do any school during, lol. When DD was 2yo those would all have worked, though. Trucks and trains are good here, lots of matchbox cars, blocks, etc. Foam tiles with letters on them that make a big mat are a HUGE hit. With two, I'd also think of ways to separate them. Sometimes my boys can play together, but sometimes it's just one unending fight over the green truck or whatever. A gate or play yard or something to put them in separate rooms... Highchairs might work some of the time, or wearing the little one on your back.

I'm suprized that no one's mentioned cardboard boxes! Mine loved them, any shape or size - scribble on them, sit in them and pretend they're a boat/rocket/house/castle, ds even loved to curl up with a blanket and pillow in the huge box the stove fan came in (open, of course). They also liked good old crayons/markers and paper, sometimes paint. I covered the bathtub walls and bathroom floor one day in huge sheets of paper and turned them loose with finger paint. That kept them busy for quite awhile, and they were already in the tub when it came time to clean up! Sometimes I would just give dd lots and lots of little pieces of masking tape to stick onto paper. Bucket of water and paintbrush outside would be good too. Sidewalk chalk outside has kept them busy for years as well. Heck, you could even give them a big stack of old neswpaper and let them tear it all to pieces - messy but fun. None of it has to be very expensive; whatever they REALLY like and keeps their attention the longest is the best. I don't really like for my munchkins to watch videos, but I have really liked the Preschool Prep ones (available on Amazon for about $10 each). The ones for colors, shapes, numbers, and letters are good, but the sight words ones are unnecessary. (DS 4 and DD 6 just started watching the colors one again, in Spanish, and learned all the colors in Spanish too!)

I made a bunch of busy bags for my toddler last summer. Most ideas came from Pinterest. They have been moderately successful. One of the best things for us is doing things like dd's reading lesson downstairs near the playroom. DS will happily play in there for a good hour as long as we're close by.

I don't have anything that hasn't been mentioned, but I have to give a special extra shout out for play dough. It is worth HOURS of fun at a time around here. Best toy ever.

I have a plastic tub full of mixed beans with plastic bugs and other baubles in it---plastic jacks, other animals, shapes etc. with different scoops and funnels. I pull it out when I really need a free moment, usually when I'm cooking or cleaning something and I really don't want my dd tagging along. I also throw a square of painter tape on the floor and she has a little Ocedar toy brush and dust pan. I've taught her how to sweep her beans into the square and then into the pan and back into the bin. She can dig and scoop and pour contentedly for ever. The blog is called counting coconuts I think, but there are tons of ideas for these sensory tubs, if you have the patience to make them and rotate often.

It's going to depend a lot on the toddler! My twin 2yo boys couldn't be trusted with paints, scissors, glue, markers, crayons, pencils, or frankly half of the other things listed here for even 2 seconds. The entire time would be spent redirecting them to keep from painting the house or eating the crayons, and you would have to spend an hour cleaning up after the 15 minute project which you didn't get to do any school during, lol. When DD was 2yo those would all have worked, though. Trucks and trains are good here, lots of matchbox cars, blocks, etc. Foam tiles with letters on them that make a big mat are a HUGE hit. With two, I'd also think of ways to separate them. Sometimes my boys can play together, but sometimes it's just one unending fight over the green truck or whatever. A gate or play yard or something to put them in separate rooms... Highchairs might work some of the time, or wearing the little one on your back.

Oh yeah I could never trust mine with most of the things (as my walls are a testament to). For the messy stuff I put her in the high chair. And we school at the table right next to her. The biggest problem comes when I give her a limited number of options and my oldest thinks she needs them all. Like I pull out 2 puzzles and he pulls out 10 more for her. NOT COOL. He gets to clean up the mess and I lecture him for the 50 billionth time to stop trying to play mommy and I actually know what I am doing.

Christina

Sensory tubs worked wonders for my toddler during school time. Here's a blog with lots of ideas... http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.com/search/label/Sensory%20Tubs

We also have a 2-sided small easel (chalkboard/magnetic white board) that has been great for my kids. They did do-a-dot pages with magnets, patterning, and just free play. It was a great $25 investment from Hobby Lobby!

• 5 months later...

I keep a lot of toys away from little hands until school starts.  All the Calico Critters, Playmobil, wooden puzzles only come out when brother and sister are doing school.  She also loves doing color by number activity books.  I always have art supplies and paper at the ready, and she gets to try to do some modification of whatever activity her brother or sister are doing if we are doing an activity.  I try not to use tv or apps.  Way too distracting for the other kids.  I have to hear "do I get a turn?" the whole time, so it's not worth it to me.