Menu

If you are a quiet family, how do you handle LOUD friends?

Hmmm. We are loud.

Dh says alcohol helps.

Maybe when these friends visit you should serve a nice wine?

Granted that might make them louder, but you won't notice it as much.;)

This was a 6 year old girl. Somehow I don't think her parents would approve:lol: Unless you mean that I should be the one drinking the wine. . .:D

My boys are terribly loud.

Just wanted to apologize.

My youngest seems to create noise with his pores. Some people sweat, he creates sound waves. I don't know how it happens or how to contain it, but you have my sincere apologies. Older ds flails too... I'm so glad I don't let them out much.

:lol:

How did you become quiet?!?

LOL. This is my boys too.

We try to meet with friends out of doors as much as possible.

Cat

Cat

My dh and I are very quiet, wall flower kinds of people. My son can either be very quiet or very rambunctious. My dd is absolutely the loudest person I know. She has been loud since infancy. If she sings, it is at the top of her lungs. If she is playing with her dolls it is loud. She laughs so hard and so loud I wonder if the neighbors down the street can hear her. No joke. Sometimes in the car I almost go crazy. I told dh the other day that I think I have hearing loss from being in the car with her. I never knew that 'Jesus loves me' could be sung with such intensity and so loudly without shrieking. At this point we just console ourselves by planning her career in Opera.

She is almost 4 and we have worked with her daily on inside voice, quiet voice, softly, and so on. So has her speech therapist. No hearing loss. Except for me :tongue_smilie: We haven't been inviting friends over for her to play with because, well, I just can't take another girl in the house like her and they all seem to imitate her...

She is ours by adoption so I have decided that some loudness must be genetic or something. She certainly is not learning this by our example - she has been with us almost since birth. I met some of her biological sisters a long time ago and their voices were so loud and enthusiastic about EVERYTHING as well. I can remember wanting ear plugs...

So, as the mom of a loud child, I apologize. It can drive me up the wall too. Some days dh comes home and I just have to leave for an hour or so to recover. As the mom of a loud child, please set boundaries,but please remember she may not be able to contain it. And, as a mom of a loud child, thanks so much. I really need a break too ;)

I am the introverted one in a house of extroverts. Well, I think my ds9 is fairly introverted, but nothing like me. AND dh is half deaf from his years in the artillery and working in a restaurant so the radio/TV tends to be very loud. AND ds4 is a whirling dervish, a loud whirling dervish.

Oy! I really try to take it all in stride. Be the laid back, easy going, fun mom. I generally fail miserably. <sigh> Usually about 6:00 I've hit my tolerance wall and have to be alone for a while before I can handle the chaos with anything resembling grace.

Yep. I can relate to this. :) In my family, we're all story tellers. You don't ask us, "What did you do today?" and get a simple "Oh I went to the bank and then the grocery store" answer in return, no, we have to tell you every crazy little thing that happened on the way to the bank, at the bank, in the grocery store etc. The crazier the story the better. If we leave everyone laughing so hard that they cannot breathe, we've done our job. :D hehehe

I was in Stuttgart when I was in the quiet restaurant. I went in September of 1995. For the record, when I went to East Germany I couldn't believe how loud they were after coming from the West. They were hilarious. They reminded me of Latinos. :)

Sadly, I'm sure I've unwittingly made many people feel that way. :( It's hard to modulate your volume. You're so used to being a certain way your whole life you do things without realizing you're doing them.

I'll have to find out which end Mom's family is from. We sound Eastern :lol:

LOL. This is my boys too.

We try to meet with friends out of doors as much as possible.

Cat

Cat

Outside playdates are the best... except I still have to tell them to keep it down :p

I am the introverted one in a house of extroverts. Well, I think my ds9 is fairly introverted, but nothing like me. AND dh is half deaf from his years in the artillery and working in a restaurant so the radio/TV tends to be very loud. AND ds4 is a whirling dervish, a loud whirling dervish.

Oy! I really try to take it all in stride. Be the laid back, easy going, fun mom. I generally fail miserably. <sigh> Usually about 6:00 I've hit my tolerance wall and have to be alone for a while before I can handle the chaos with anything resembling grace.

I'm not sure that introvert or extrovert have much to do with it. We're loud in our comfort zone, but the introverts in the family are wall flowers in public ;)

Everyone in my family is loud. It must be something we do to them because even my adopted children are loud. I was babysitting an only child once who was about 3yo. He finally covered his ears and screamed, "Make it stop!" I felt sorry for him.

I try to teach them to settle down, especially at other people's homes, but their "settled down" is still loud to others.

My boys are terribly loud.

Just wanted to apologize.

My youngest seems to create noise with his pores. Some people sweat, he creates sound waves. I don't know how it happens or how to contain it, but you have my sincere apologies. Older ds flails too... I'm so glad I don't let them out much.

:lol:

How did you become quiet?!?

:lol::iagree: I have a flailer, too. "Control your body," has become an often repeated phrase around here.

For as loud as we are, we have one neighbor boy who is infinitely louder. I make them play outside. If the weather is too nasty to play outside, then he doesn't get to come over. In fact, when ds wants to play with him, he always asks, "Mom, do you think you could handle Joey today?" Usually, the answer is no. For you, my advice would be to put a time cap on the playdates in advanced. One hour, max.

Mother to another loud dd. She is our oldest (21) and has always had a loud voice and loves to talk, so you hear her alot. We still have to tell her, "honey, we're aren't deaf, just yet." Heck maybe, she's practicing for when we are.:D We visited her at college this Saturday and I had forgotten how loud she can be. It was nice to get in our quiet car and enjoy the silence. :grouphug: I feel your pain.

I believe it. I always thought of Japan as a quiet and peaceful place. I'd love to go there sometime. :)

Not to derail the thread, but I had to share with you a funny that happened to me when I went to Europe. I was in West Germany in a restaurant and I was just talking in my normal speaking voice to my friend across the table from me and I realized that people were looking at me. Then I realized how quietly they were talking. The tables were relatively close to each other and I noticed that I couldn't even hear the conversation of the people sitting on either side of me, so I tried speaking as quietly as I could and I was still too loud. So then I started to whisper and even my whisper was still too loud. I don't know how in the world those people were not only able to speak that quietly, but to have a whole conversation! I was truly amazed! How do people learn to master speaking that softly?? I couldn't do it! :lol:

Oh, this is so true!!!! We live in Germany (no more east and west!) and the restaurants are so quiet! I love it! We make an effort to keep our conversations low. Indy is a natural born talker (almost non-stop), but he knows not to get loud, especially in restaurants. When we visit the States, it's always a shock how very, very LOUD the restaurants are. You can't hear yourself think. It drives me crazy.

Oh, this is so true!!!! We live in Germany (no more east and west!) and the restaurants are so quiet! I love it! We make an effort to keep our conversations low. Indy is a natural born talker (almost non-stop), but he knows not to get loud, especially in restaurants. When we visit the States, it's always a shock how very, very LOUD the restaurants are. You can't hear yourself think. It drives me crazy.

hehehehehe I wonder how much things have changed since I went there now that the East and West I'm sure are more blended together. When I went in '95, the differences were very apparent. You could actually tell you were at the border to East Germany even before you ever saw a sign. It was really an amazing experience. I'd love to go back and do it again sometime. I see you're in Heidelberg. I was there on my visit too. I loved that city. It's so picturesque. :)