Menu

Glasses: Anyone here have more than -4 and wear glasses>?

What is your life like with glasses?

Did you ever wear contacts?

Do your eyes appear extremely small?

Aren't I vain?

What do you do at the pool and beach?

Do you wear glasses out of necessity of not being able to wear contacts, or do you choose to wear glasses b/c of cost?

My scrip is -6.5 and that's not accounting for the astigmatism. I wear glasses on a daily basis mainly because I'm too lazy to deal with contacts all the time. I do wear contacts some of the time, including to the pool or beach although I once had my contacts sucked out of my eyes by the current (good thing hubby was there to drive!). I don't notice my eyes appearing small but I do love me some MAC eyeshadow and maybe that's why. :p

I got contacts as soon as I possibly could (11) and have not looked back. When your script is more than 3.5 and maybe less here is how you feel:

1. Glasses are either unbelievably thick or you pay an arm and a leg for special thin lenses.

2. You go to the pool and either have to leave your glasses on and deal with drops all over them all the time or leave them off and be practically blind! if an emergency were to happen I'd have to get my glasses off the side of the pool and then try to save dc. LOL. I could see the dc, but I couldn't see the floor or the wall and may hit my head and be the next victim!

3. Glasses are heavy, uncomfortable, but that's the same no matter what script.

4. Peripheral vision. My PV is HORRIBLE with glasses. If you took your hands and made a circle the size of glasses and then pretended every thing else was covered, that would be what it's like to be a person with a high script wearing glasses. You have to move your head to see out of your peripheral. I often get more clumsy with glasses. This is especially scary with driving. I will see a blur but can't decipher if it's a car, a bike, a truck or what. I have to actually turn my head in order to make a judgement on the car next to me on either side, meaning less time with my eyes in front of me (we're really talking split seconds here of course)

But there are hundreds of thousands of people living happy productive lives with high scripts. So I wonder if I could do it.

Sandra,

Jenna got contacts when she was 9 for gymnastics meets, but didn't learn to wear them regularly and take care of them until she was about 11, like you. She has always hated glasses, but particularly so this past year when she tipped into the over-3 range. She said they make her dizzy. I had no idea that her eyesight was that bad. Poor her and poor you!

I suppose you could get used to them, but it sounds like a safety issue...you'd have to relearn operate heavy machinery under the influence of glasses. Is it just the cost? Do you feel like it's frivolous? Honestly, it sounds like a necessity to me under the circumstances.

Barb

I switched back to glasses because I have dry eye syndrome and would need plugs in my tear ducts in order to keep my eyes moist enough to wear them. (There's a new med out now, but I'm not interested in being a guinea pig....)

I wear very small glasses; you don't have to wear enormous maw-maw glasses anymore. I wear mine in the pool, etc. I wear prescription sunglasses at the beach (not that I ever get to go anymore....)

I think only really strong prescriptions would make your eyes look small? I thought they had worked out a way to prevent that for most folks nowdays....????

I really prefer the look of glasses now. When I'm 50, I'll have eye surgery to correct my vision - maybe - but I'll probably still wear glasses as an accessory.....

Regena

I got contacts as soon as I possibly could (11) and have not looked back. When your script is more than 3.5 and maybe less here is how you feel:

1. Glasses are either unbelievably thick or you pay an arm and a leg for special thin lenses.

I've had contacts since I was 13 but I am much lazier about it now than when I was a teen. The thin lenses are not *that* much more expensive now compared to what they used to cost. Also, it helps if you talk to the guys in the back who make the lenses. The smaller lenses (which are more popular now) are much better because most of the thickness is around the edge of the lens and it gets cut off when you have a smaller lens.

I have been wearing contacts since I was 13. I wear glasses to "rest" my eyes in the evenings at home other than that I prefer contacts. Intrestingly enough my vision has improved with age ( I am nearsighted). Isn't that weird?!

Actually my eyesight is better now than it was when I was in college. I think I did *so* much reading, writing, working on the computer that part of my vision problems were related to eyestrain.

When my oldest was born we took a 66% cut in household income when I chose to stay home with him, so eye exams weren't even in the budget until he was about five. So I threw out the contacts when they needed to be replaced, and wore the same prescription for five years in my glasses and didn't even go to the eye doctor. During that period I decided that glasses really weren't that bad.

Now we actually have vision insurance and I'm at the age where my eyes are changing more with age, so I do go for an exam every year. No interest in contacts though. Being a middle-aged lady with glasses just isn't a big deal any more.

I actually prefer my glasses. They're funky and cool -- like me! :D Ha! Just kidding.

Seriously, I picked frames that I thought were really "me" and got the thinnest index lenses I could. My lenses are still pretty thick, but the way the frames are made, it isn't so obvious. I also like wearing make-up, and I love the way it looks with my glasses.

Glasses can be smart, sassy and distinctive. Contacts just make you look like everyone else. Plus, you'll still need a pair of glasses to wear when you can't/aren't wearing contacts!

since I can NOT see w/o my specs - am over 20/650 (is that -6?) and my lenses are not THAT thick (I get themat a decent price from Walmart). I get the frames that best fit my face. I have been told i can not get the rimless anymroe, as it is too hard to drill the tiny holes in the len to fit int he tiny screws etc. oh, well. I used to have contacts loooooong ago - took them out after my wedding ceremony and before the reception and haven't worn them since! I could only go about 6 hours a day anyway, so still had to have glasses.

I have glasses now. I had contacts as a teen but then burned the corneas off both of my eyes and that nixed contacts for me for a while. Tomorrow I go for an evaluation for the Lasiks surgery. If I am a candidate I will do that ASAP. Swimming is hard as I can't see without my glasses---couldn't see the kids to know if they were in trouble, etc. I would LOVE to be able to see in the middle of the night as well.

I haven't worn contacts since college, so my life with glasses is ... normal.

At the pool, I take them off and leave them with my towel to go in the water. Same at the beach.

I do pay for thinner lenses. I don't think my eyes look small.

I wore contacts in high school and college, but they were expensive and a PITA. When my parents stopped paying for them I stopped buying them. However, an optometrist has told me lately that the price has come way down; I wouldn't mind trying them again.

I have terrible astigmatism, and I'm -6 something in one eye, and -9 something in the other.

My eyes are -4.5 and I couldn't function without contacts and my glasses. I generally wear contacts because they're more comfortable in the heat here. But, when my allergies are bad or if we're having a lazy day around the house, I wear my glasses.

If you get the right size frame and the thin lenses, glasses this strong really can be attractive and comfortable. I got a new pair at the end of the year at Costco for a total of around $100.

I never knew anything different. I started wearing glasses when I was 9 (I probably needed them when I was 7.)

For a few years, before soft contacts were invented.

No.

Aren't I vain?

Yes:D JK.

It's not fun. Can't see anything.

Do you wear glasses out of necessity of not being able to wear contacts, or do you choose to wear glasses b/c of cost?

Actually, I had intra-lasik done almost two years ago, but back in the day, I wore contacts for several years; got an infection and wore glasses while waiting for my appointment, and by then it was just easier to wear the glasses, KWIM? A few years later I tried contacts again, which were, of course, soft ones, but I couldn't find any that I could actually wear. I don't know if it was the astigmatism or what, but I just went back to glasses, and wore them until the lasik.

So, am *I* vain? Yes. I'm so glad we had the money for the lasik, because it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I've worn contacts since I was 10 and I've never looked back. Now I do have glasses for nights and early morn, I got the thinner lenses and it wasn't that much more expensive. I'm lazy about self-care when I'm just at home, but I wouldn't dream about not putting on my contacts. I HATE glasses. Did I make myself clear enough?:D The pain of putting in contacts is nothing compared to the pain of wearing glasses and having them slide off my nose or get smeared or steamed doesn't compare in my humble opinion.

Aren't I vain?

The graduated bifocal does not work for me because I have Duane's Syndrome in one eye, and I found I was never able to look through the bifocal with both eyes at the same time!

I have both contacts and glasses right now. I wore the "hard" contacts off and on for over 30 years, but now I have the soft. I did not have any contacts for several months between the soft and hard lenses. I wear my contacts whenever I feel like it--I wear my glasses for a lot more hours per week than my contacts.

I try to get the smaller frames and I get the thinnest lens available. Yes, my eyes look smaller with glasses than without--but I don't know that it is dreadfully small. LOL! You'd have to ask my friends. :D

At the pool/beach: The ophthalmologists see people with extremely serious eye infections each year from people who wear their contacts while swimming. For this reason, if I plan to go into the water, I never wear my contacts. Just ask an opth and they'll tell you the horror stories. You can get a strap for your glasses or you can buy swim goggles with your prescription--I almost got a pair of these, but my kids grew up before I got them, and as teens they don't swim much (and neither do I).

There were times I could not wear contacts (pregnancy and other problems). And there were times in the last 35 years that I could not afford a new pair of contacts, so I stayed with my glasses. I found that I needed to change my hair, make-up, and jewelry to "fit" with my glasses because I do not like it when my face is too "busy."

The think I hate the most with glasses? Cold weather. They fog up if I try to wrap my face up...and doing farm chores in the rain. Ugh.

FWIW.

I have worn glasses since I was I was in 4th grade, about 35 years. I did wear soft contacts for a short time, but I finally realized that they were a migraine trigger, so I stopped. For me, glasses are like bras. Not always convenient, but you have to wear it. I've gotten use to not wearing them at the pool, and I have had prescription sunglasses, but now I use the clips that you can get at walmart or target. I do get the 'thin' lenses because if I didn't, they would be too heavy to stay on my nose.

I would say you're vain:p but if I had to START at my age, I would probably be the same way. They are like underwear to me. I put them on as soon as I wake up in the morning and they are the last thing I take off at night.

As far as swimming...I don't wear them when I swim. For me, it is like seeing people from behind. You know that Bob is wearing a red shirt and Bill is wearing yellow, so you know who is who. It's like that for me in the pool. Piper is taller and has a blue swimsuit, Zoie is shorter and has an orange one.

I know this is rambling, I'm on pain medicine for a migraine, but I do hope it helps.

I wore hard contact lenses as a teen and loved them up through college, but they drive me nuts now (the gas permeable ones) and I haven't worn them in years.

I've tried soft contacts, but I have astigmatism in both eyes, and they just don't sit right (I'm VERY picky about the correction; hate even a bit of blur).

So, yes, I live with glasses. And I don't really mind. BUT, I've just now hit th point where I need reading glasses when my eyes are tired. I tried progressives and hated them (the reading part is tiny! what's up with that???). I may have to break down and get bifocals or something. Bleah.

Have considered Lasik, but I'm too chicken!

I wear glasses and contacts. In a couple of months I'm going to get the blade-free Wavefront LASIK procedure.

When I was 12 I had to wear the wrong glasses for a year. So my eyes get worse as I get older, so my greatest fear is not seeing my children grow up. :eek: So years of research and years of fear I'm finely going to do it.

LOL Cin! I have always put glasses and bras in the same catagory!

My eyes are -7.5 I am WAAAYYY blind. I usually wear my contacts, but I have some vascular damage from being an irresponsible teenager with my contacts, so I have been trying to wear them less. I just paid a million dollars for some cute frames with every slimming option possible. (It wasn't really a million dollars.) I was very disappointed when I received them because they still made my eyes look smaller, and were way less cute than they were without the perscription lenses when I ordered them. However, I have slowly gotten used to them. DH even suggested I wear them for our photo shoot because they made me look "smart". (Wasn't that sweet of him?)

I have never been able to drive before with my glasses, but with these I can do it, although I'm not all that comfortable.

My vision cannot be fully corrected with contacts. I need prisms to correct for a conversion disorder. I can wear contacts and have, but I get severe headaches from the eyestrain of trying to make everything line up without the prisms. Really, I prefer to wear glasses, even if I did not need them for my full perscription. Contacts irritate my eyes so I am always bloodshot with them in. Cost is not a factor since contacts and glasses are both only $15/ year with our insurance.

Dh is around -4. He gets high-index lenses and they look fine. He has a major phobia about touching his eyes. No way would he ever wear contacts. My sister, though, had very bad eyesight to the point where it could no longer be corrected with any lenses so she had surgery. Before the surgery her glasses, even with the high index lenses, did distort her eyes and look funny. She always wore contacts. Now she sees better than anyone else in the family with out lenses of any sort.

**I am not wearing glasses in my avatar because there was too much glare so I took them off for the picture :)