Menu

Anyone have food allergies show up as an adult?

I've had quite a few allergies develop as an adult. Only one of them food.

Latex: I discovered this in 1994 when blowing up balloons for our engagement party. My mouth and lips swelled and I was all wheezy. It wasn't until it happened again in 1995 when blowing up balloons for our DS's first birthday party that I twigged. That allergy has got more severe as time has gone on.

Penicillian: I was given this for an infection at about 21 years old having had it many times before with no reaction. I reacted with restricted breathing. Fortunately not life threatening but I had to take some very strong antihistamines and sleep it off for a few days.

Gluten: I worked this out myself 3 years ago after many years of being fobbed off by doctors. They pushed drugs on me rather than suggesting food could be the cause of my digestive issues. When I finally narrowed it down to gluten and stopped eating it my digestive symptoms and many other issues I didn't realise were related all went away.

I've had no tests. The doctors tell me the breathing issues with the first two are enough to know that I am indeed allergic and should steer well clear. I'm not prepared to go back on gluten and make myself sick for months just to give a doctor confirmation of what I already know.

Not food, but last year, at 38, I was given some form of penicillen for strep throat. By the morning of the 3rd day I realized I had become all itchy behind my kness and inside my elbows and it had been going on for almost the last two days. It was also starting to get itchy on my chest as well.

I had no hives or anythign, but it was enough for the doctor to declare me "allergic to penicillen" so I don't get it again and have it get worse where I have some sort of sever reaction.

Also I spent most of my youth tromping through fields and woods and outdoor areas. I never has any problems. In the last few years, I've had more rashes, hives and itches after being outdoors than ever. I just seem to pick things up out of the air almost anymore. Very frustrating.

Yes, mine developed after pregnancy, I've had several female friends who have the same problem, and one who developed hers after a hysterectomy.

It was a general feeling worse symptoms at first, mainly tiredness.

When I stopped eating things I was allergic to, adding them back caused more severe symptoms because my body was no longer acclimated to them.

They also caused weight gain, stopping eating things I was allergic to made the weight come off with no work.

Edit: how to do an elimination diet is #17 of this thread (on page 2)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88725&highlight=food+allergies+elimination+diet&page=2

Edited by ElizabethB

How did you know you were allergic to that particular food? Was it constant small reactions or one big one? Did you do any testing? What tests would you recommend? I might have more questions. :001_smile:

Yes as an adult I developed an allergy to avocados. It started slowly, & progressed fairly quick.

My symptoms were ichy throat, hives on lips, numbness in face, & closing of throat. Each case was a little different then the previous & over the course of 3-4 years it got worst. It took a while to figure out what I was allergic to. Once I figured it out, I played a little with it. It seemed like I could eat them sometimes, but not others. The first ER doctor, the one that treated me for the hives on lips told me that was stupid. The second ER doctor, the one that treated me for the numbness, & closing of the throat told me that was stupid. He told me I was experiencing an anaphylactic reaction & if I was going to take chances, I should carry an epi pen.

I LOVE LOVE avocados and hate that I am allergic to them but the last trip to the ER frightened me into admission.

A year or so later I started having the same reaction to sushi & after playing a bit, figured out it was the shell fish.

I was not allergic to either item growing up but now that I read a poster mention allergys after hysterectomy, I may look in that.

Why do you ask?

Mine developed at 30. I would have some digestive issues for what seemed like no reason. It was like having the stomach flu. I was bloated and tired, and I couldn't explain the rash I had around my mouth. Finally one day I drank a Mountain Dew and the corn syrup in it made that rash start itching again. My mother, who is sensitive to corn and a few other things, advised me to stop eating it, and that helped for a while.

My aunt has the same problems, and her allergist told her that if she is allergic to one grain, then she is more than likely allergic to others.

I did testing at the allergist's office, and they gave me about 85 shots in my back to see if my skin reacted. If needed, they measured the degree of my reaction and diluted the solution several times and injected it again to see how sensitive I was to it.

That's how they found corn, wheat, rye, barley, soy, oats, and mushrooms (on the food side). That day is also when I learned what orris root was (the main perfume ingredient).

Even if you eat something and you don't have a tangible reaction that day, your body is still reacting to that food. Antihistamines for seasonal outdoor allergies can help to cover those up, so before I went in for testing I had to lay off the Claritin for a month to ensure a true reaction.

Why do you ask?

I've had three reactions to dairy in the last two days. It starts like a burning sensation where the adenoids are (behind and above the uvula), my nose starts to run and the skin under my bottom lip starts to itch. I figure it has to be dairy because it happened after eating a couple of bites of milk candy (the only ingredients are milk and sugar), a few bites of cheese and this morning after a few sips of coffee lightened with half and half. Now that I think back over the last few weeks I remember more of the same reactions. I reacted this way the other day to some gluten-free muffins I made. Today I checked the butter-flavored oil spray I used in the pan and it contains a milk product.

I started breaking out into hives a couple of months after my third pregnancy, over 5 years ago. (It seems to be heat related.) That dd was allergic to milk as a baby. She has since outgrown it. Ever since then my body has felt off and strange. I used to think it was all in my head but maybe it is a food allergy.

I am an RN and my ds has severe food allergies. After this was diagnosed, I learned as much as I could about food allergies. Food allergies can develop at any age and should always be taken seriously since you cannot predict if the reaction that you will have will be always mild or fatal. Thank goodness fatal reactions are rare, but I always carry an dual pack of epinephrine and melt-away benedryl for my son. if you have asthma, the risk is greater and you should also always carry a rescue inhaler like albuterol. We always check labels and do not eat anything home-made unless we make it.

He is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. he also has possible allergy to shell-fish, eggs and mangoes (the tropical fruit). As an aside, I do believe the the current vaccine schedule recommended by the CDC has something to do with the increase in food allergies, autism, etc. There is an excellent article from U.S. News and World Report from February 2009 availalbe to read on-line which discusses vaccines. This article discusses Dr. Sears slowed-downed vaccine schedule which in retropect, I would highly recommend. They also have stated in this article that it has never been proven safe to give up to 8 vaccines (in combo shots) to infants in one day. Also, when I was a child, I received about 11 shots. Now, children recieve about 38 shots in the first 4 years if my memory serves me right:tongue_smilie: This article discusses all othese points. Lastly, my son's allergist did not disagree with my theory that some kids over-react to all of the vaccines and develop food allergies as a result.

There is an excellent website called the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network that has many excellent articles on it. I hope this helps. Sorry about the aside, I just want to spread the word on this information:)

Thanks,

pris

I would recommend skin testing by an allergist for starters. There is also RAST blood testing I believe but I would never have just the blood test alone. Skin testing from I understand is essential. Sometimes they will also do food challenges in an controlled environment under certain conditions.

I hope this helps.

Yes! I developed an allergy to kiwi in adulthood. I never liked kiwi much as a kid. It tasted off to me. But, I'd eat it if it were in a fruit salad. Then, about 4 years ago, we were at a friend's house for dinner. Fruit salad with kiwi in it for dessert. My mouth started burning and my throat and ears were itching like crazy! I couldn't stop sneezing. It was very scary.

Now, if I touch it, my fingers break out in hives. My latest reaction was on our cruise in Jan. I thought the drizzle over dessert was lime. It was kiwi! My lips started swelling and my throat was itching. I got benadryl very fast and it helped. I now know I need to be very careful!

I've developed many allergies since having my second child two years ago. I've never really been allergic to anything in my life before this.

Now I'm allergic to nearly everything outside, cats, mold, hay, tobacco (I've never smoked), smoke, grass, pollen, etc.

I'm also allergic to bananas. Also to something in ranch dressing. I'm not sure what, so I just do not eat ranch anymore. I've had skin prick tests done, as well as blood tests. They showed that I'm possibly allergic to soy, nutmeg, sesame seeds, milk, and eggs.....but I've never showed any symptoms that I'm aware of. Sometimes I do not feel very good, but I would need to go on an elimiation diet to rule things out....and I'm just not up to that right now LOL.

Yes, and it baffled me for a while. I've always been allergic to tons of stuff since childhood (and through two complete sets of allergy shots--each consisting of weekly shots). However... my new allergies are food and far different.

I found myself with a throbbing throat, hot all over, racing heart and gut wrenching stomach pain (on the level of crowning) followed by two or three hours of vomiting. The first time this happened, I thought "flu". Then it kept happening and I thought ulcer (tried heartburn meds). Finally, I had a hazelnut pizza and I almost couldn't make it to the bathroom. Then I knew (and I couldn't believe I hadn't considered allergies)!!!

I followed up with my allergist. He said my symptoms weren't typical, but he tested me anyway. Sure enough, HAZELNUTS!!! I also am allergic to soy and tomatoes. The symptoms are actually very similar (hot, rapid heartbeat, swollen throat and very painful tummyache), but I don't vomit with those.

Believe it or not, soy and hazelnuts (as fillers) are in TONS! of foods. My advice would be to look at what it is that you are consuming. Is there something you eat now in abundance (like soy milk) that you didn't before? Try eliminating that before putting yourself on the super strict elimination diet.

All my life I've had excema (in varying degrees) and stomach issues. Apparently I was very "colicky" as an infant also. I recently (like last May), after 47 years of this, decided to eliminate dairy. All my excema and GI issues immediately disappeared. I've never NOT had diarrhea. And I thought that was normal. :)

Now, if I have dairy I react much more severly than before I removed dairy.

I'm also very allergic to a fly down here - the tabano. I have gone into shock but since we can't get epipens here I keep Benadryl on hand. The weird thing is that Benadryl really hammers me. My nephew can take the same dose I do (he is 9) and other than relieving his itching he is exactly the same. I'm completely comatose for the rest of the day and hungover the next. And I do take the child's dose.

I have developed intolerances (not true allergies, just intolerances that build up and can act like allergies if I ignore the symptoms) to: Chicken. Contact lenses. Green-ish bananas.

I had to do an elimination diet to work out the chicken. The rest weren't hard to figure out.

I developed an allergy to shellfish on my honeymoon. I had eaten shrimp for years. When dh and I went on our honeymoon in Maine, we took advantage of the local fare (eating lobster and crab several times in one week.) After the 4th time, I broke out in hives all over my body. At first, I thought it was the perfumed sheets in the bed and breakfast that we had just checked into. (we asked for fresh, unperfumed sheets the next day.) When we got home and went to dinner with my parents, I had some shrimp. I got another rash - hives all over my face - I knew it was the shelfish. Now, I can't have any shellfish - not even eggrolls due to the shrimp (unless the place only serves vegetarian food.) It is possible that I might have had milder reactions in the past, but just passed it off as being "face-killer" zits rather than hives.

I even had a reaction at a super-clean sushi restaurant. My throat became rather itchy. The chef did not wash his knife after preparing shellfish. I had to go home and take some benedril right after the meal and we made sure to stay close to home (which is really close to the hospital) just in case I developed a worse reaction. I have not done testing because the reaction is pretty obvious. We are just careful where we go to eat and I have it noted on any medical forms. I don't carry an epi-pen because I have not had any respiratory symptoms - yet.