Menu

What's your favorite method of self-soothing?

I am among the ones that still have their blankies! :D

Stress is no stranger at our home. I find many ways to relax here. I found it funny when someone said that they hid. LOL! I have been know to do that from time to time. My girls at home during the day are 16 and 19. They know if mommy is hiding, don't try to find me. :001_huh:

If the younger guys are home, things get tougher and I can't just run off and hide. I tend to use other methods:

- a fresh cup of coffee and hot cookies from the oven

- when dh gets home, I will put my pj's on and sit on the couch with some Ben and Jerry's

- A good movie that will make me cry- always makes me feel better

- a nice long nap (if the girls are home)

- head and back massage

- I used to enjoy cross-stich and scrapbooking until my migraines got bad. Hopefully I can get back to them sometime soon.

Hmm, I would have to say, a hot bath ALONE with no interruptions for once. But with a house full of kids I don't think it will happen anytime soon. And I love walking. Especially with my hubby while pushing no strollers.

coping stretegies... my therapist asks me "What are you doing for Bee?"...

I love my hot coffee and 15 minutes of silence before I wake children up...

A hot soothing bath... but just once in a while...

I clean when I get upset or angry... boy, do I clean when I am angry... the kids know when I go into "angry cleaning mode" I've had it!!! Guess it's better than taking it out on them!!

I also call a good friend and chat... I love to chat with friends... I was the teen whose dad always said, "Get off the phone!" (before cell phones...) I just love that connection with a friend...

Ways I want to look into:

I'd like to get out walking and enjoy it!

I'd like to work in the yard gardens and enjoy it!

Playing the piano.

Weaving at my lap loom.

Sitting directly on the ground, outside, in a mountainous (even tall hills will suffice), forested area. Just sitting there, feeling the earth underneath me, doing nothing else. (This remedy is so rare an opportunity that I don't anticipate ever enjoying it again in life -- esp. since we moved away from Alabama.)

Alcohol. Lots of alcohol. :tongue_smilie:

No, I'm kidding. A glass of wine is a nice self-soother though.

Hot baths

Knitting

Watching baseball (as long as my team is winning, which lately isn't much) It's pretty relaxing for me to watch a game in which I have no vested interest.

Listening to music

This is making me miss my blankie. I have fond memories of it... I do have a body pillow that I'm very attached to - I bought it and started using it while pregnant with Becca. It's very beat up, but I can't bring myself to buy a new one. And that's saying something, because I love to shop!

Edited by Mommy22alyns

And you?

I sing, usually something I learned off a Jean Redpath album (I have her range) or John Prine.

"And the spotlight in the Big Yard

Turns round with the gun

And it shines on the snowflakes

Like dust in the sun:

It was Christmas in prison,

There'll be music tonight.

I'll probly get homesick...

I love you, goodnight."

As I recall, I sang Box of Rain to your littlest.

Promise me you will not laugh.

High school transcripts. When I'm frazzled and can't think straight, I zone into a spreadsheet and make up an imaginary high school transcript.

Something about seeing everything all lined up, about doing all that sequencing, calms me right down.

Sane, concerned people have suggested Sudoku might work too.

When I'm stressed away from a spreadsheet, I just do math in my head. Multiple digit multiplication makes me calm.