Menu

Sewer smell in sink--what is wrong and how can I fix it?

New information: In answer to your questions we have city water. The upstairs bathroom pipes were newly installed two years ago, and the downstairs kitchen/bathroom pipes were newly installed five years ago. Thanks for the suggestions. We will try the baking soda and vinegar with hot water and see if that helps the situation. Is that something we should do routinely? Once a month? Once a year? When we notice a smell? Thanks.

Original post:

A week or two ago I noticed when brushing my teeth that every time I run water in the upstairs bathroom I can smell a light, sour sewer odor from the drain.

Today I noticed the smell in the downstairs bath, again when running water.

The downstairs bath is directly beneath the upstairs bath.

Should I just throw some Draino down there? Any ideas?

Edited by strider
Answer questions and update

Not sure if this is at all it and someone who knows more about plumbing may laugh my suggestions off but the trap under your sink could be dry. It usually holds water to keep out odors but can evaporate in a rarely used drain or might just not be there because a trap is badly designed. You may also want to see if your drains are properly vented. The air in the pipes needs to escape when you put water down the drain and if your drain aren't vented then the air could come up another drain in your washroom and might smell a bit.

I get a smell like that in my bathroom sink sometimes. Before using harsh chemicals, or disassembling anything, I just run VERY HOT water down the drain for about a minute. 95% of the time, the smell goes away.

Eventually, though, the drain gets slow, and I need to remove the hair and gunk from the drain. I just make a little hook out of a clothes hangar, and use that to remove the stinky, gunky, hair. Blech!

I use baking soda and white vinegar to clean and keep drains smelling good. Works wonderful. Put 1/2-1 cup of soda down the drain and follow with 1 cup of white vinegar. Let stand for 20-30 min and rince down with hot water.

Me too. The dc loved it! It gurgles, and bubbles, and hisses, and foams up. They thought it was a blast! Chemistry, anyone?

Do you have a septic tank or city sewer? If you have a septic system, that is an early warning sign of the need for a pump out. If you have city sewer, maybe you should contact your water department to see if they are experiencing drainage problems.

Ginger