Menu

Help! No more 5 paragraph essay?

I enjoyed hearing SWB speak at the Midwest Homeschool conference this weekend. I attended her sessions on middle school and high school writing and gleaned a lot of information in both workshops.

In the high school session SWB mentioned that she doesn't know why teachers emphasize the 5 paragraph essay. I know from my dd's college freshman comp class that my daughter's professor agreed. I have read this opinion concerning the 5 paragraph essay in at least two books about writing, so I know SWB is not alone in her opinion.

My big question is..... So what do we emphasize? I realize that many essays don't need precisely 5 paragraphs, but is it not necessary to still teach the traditional essay structure? Don't we still need to teach the basics of introduction, body paragraphs with supporting points, and a conclusion? I am just at a loss since I always have taught the 5 paragraph essay as a basic structure and then have moved to modifying and loosening the structure for other assignments as the student's writing abilities matured.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks,

Leanna

:lurk5:

Look forward to replies. I'm sure the basics of intro, body, and conlcusion still hold. I always viewed the 5 paragraph essay as one of the "fool proof" methods for addressing many writing assignments. It gets students successfully through the writing portion of the SAT and the regents exam (may be particular to GA.) It got me through the regents exam! No idea what we should emphasize instead!

Mary

Well, it really doesn't matter how you or I or SWB views the 5 paragraph essay. I see it requested in AP classes, college classes, scholarship applications and contests. So, like it or not, kids have to be able to write a five paragraph essay.

HOWEVER-

It does not take four years to learn how to competently write the five paragraph essay. In fact, many students master it in middle school. Then they can occasionally practice it in high school. That is what I require of my writing students.

A good writer needs to be able to write competently no matter what the prompt, required structure or style.

In the high school session SWB mentioned that she doesn't know why teachers emphasize the 5 paragraph essay. I know from my dd's college freshman comp class that my daughter's professor agreed. I have read this opinion concerning the 5 paragraph essay in at least two books about writing, so I know SWB is not alone in her opinion.

When I was in high school, we learned to write essays, but they weren't "five paragraph essays." If we asked how long our essays had to be, we were told "long enough to prove your point." The only time in my life I've had to write five paragraph essays was during my college freshman comp class, and even though I got an A in the class, I swear those essays were some of the worst writing I've ever done. I did plenty of writing in my other college classes, but never a five paragraph essay.

I think it's problematic these days that the five paragraph essay is often seen as the goal rather than the beginning point for good writing. Our oldest dd went back to school this year, and I was very glad when one of the English teachers told me that they teach the five paragraph essay in 9th grade, but then move on to a ten paragraph essay, 25 paragraph essay, and finally the research paper.

Edited by LizzyBee

I may be wrong, but I thought the standard 5 paragraph essay was taught at least partly to teach students how to write short, quick essays in response to the SAT and ACT prompts. I would completely agree with Lizzy B, though; we were told in college to answer the essay questions (most of my college finals were those "blue book" exams) with as much information and reasoning as it took to answer the question. I don't remember ever counting the number of paragraphs. But, for the SAT and ACT prompts (also the GRE), I would say that the standard 5 paragraph essay is a necessity.

HollyinNNV is correct: this can be taught as early as middle school. It's an important skill to acquire, and I would say that the 5 paragraph essay is a good jumping-off point: the introductory paragraph can often be expanded to 2 or 3, to state the author's thesis; the middle paragraphs can be expanded to any possible number; and the conclusion can also be expanded to summarize the author's arguments.

I may be wrong, but I thought the standard 5 paragraph essay was taught at least partly to teach students how to write short, quick essays in response to the SAT and ACT prompts.

It's more ubiquitous than that. I was taught the five paragraph essay at least 20 years before it appeared on the SAT.

It was a 10th grade English course called Expository Writing and went over outlining, organization and writing the five paragraph essay in detail. It was a very handy starting point, especially when I had no idea what I wanted to say. It's helps you organize the paper you really don't want to write on the topic about which you had no opinion. I don't remember counting paragraphs though, and I suspect that some of those main three points got more than one. I know they did in college, where it morphed into a twenty page term paper with great regularity.

Dd's teacher (gr. 1-8) hates five paragraphs essays but has taught them how to do them. It is not what she expects when she assigns an essay.

In the UK we learn basic essay structure, but not five paragraphs. It seems strange (to me) to force an argument into that particular number of paragraphs: some need more, some fewer.

Laura

Same here in Australia. I checked with an English teacher because I wondered after reading about it here so much...but he said, no, its just not taught that way.

It's more ubiquitous than that. I was taught the five paragraph essay at least 20 years before it appeared on the SAT.

It was a 10th grade English course called Expository Writing and went over outlining, organization and writing the five paragraph essay in detail. It was a very handy starting point, especially when I had no idea what I wanted to say. It's helps you organize the paper you really don't want to write on the topic about which you had no opinion. I don't remember counting paragraphs though, and I suspect that some of those main three points got more than one. I know they did in college, where it morphed into a twenty page term paper with great regularity.

Dd's teacher (gr. 1-8) hates five paragraphs essays but has taught them how to do them. It is not what she expects when she assigns an essay.

OK, I understand. So, the 5-paragraph essay may be thought of as a starting point to beginning expository writing?

If so, once a student learns the format, it's relatively easy to expand the essay to that 20-pp. term paper, as you said!

I always thought that the 5 in 5-paragraph paper wasn't really a 5 but a 3 - three points. And I thought the 3 was because new writers often don't know how to expand or make things longer. In the process of trying to make a child write more than "My essay is about my dog. I love him.", teachers began saying things like, "You need some details. Try to think of at least three things." Or a child would write too much and need to be reduced a bit. Three details makes a decent sized paragraph and three paragraphs (with an intro and conclusion stuck on) make a decent sized essay. It is a "minimum" number. In regular essays, one quickly moves past that teaching concept, but for tests, it is still a handy minimum number to aim for if one is writing about something that could be expanded into a whole book in the minimum amount of time, like tests, or the artificial situations created by classroom learning where one has to demonstrate knowledge, or something about which one doesn't want to write. The concept of introducing one's points then expanding on them then summarizing them remains important in technical writing, no matter how many points or paragraphs are involved. I'm not a writer, though, so maybe I'm wrong?

I know I was taught the five paragraph essay in high school because my husband took the same class with the same teacher and remembers it clearly. He says he uses it every day at work (but I bet it isn't always three points, three body paragraphs). I, however, don't remember it at all at all, and didn't even know it existed until I met it on these boards. Sigh. Another thing from my education that "didn't take".

-Nan

This idea hit my son last semester in his expository writing class as a freshman. At one point we were discussing his brother's essay for a high school history course in our co-op and my oldest said that if he wrote a paper like that it would be a failing paper. I had thought his brother's paper quite good so that prompted a discussion. He said his professors were looking for much more than just the 5 paragraph essay (his papers ranged from 8-10 pages). They were looking for the student to take risks, go out on a limb with an argument, be able to support the argument, etc. In fact, his conclusions were typically 2-4 paragraphs long (sometimes well over a page). The introduction was no longer a paragraph to introduce the 3 main points, it was to provide a setting for the argument, the conclusion was no longer a re-hash of the introduction, but the time to point out the author's logic or lapses therein and supply the student's own conclusive deductions.

This was all rather interesting to me because my oldest had taken freshman comp 1 at our local university as a concurrent high school student (a feeder school to the state school he is at now). That course *did* emphasize the 5 paragraph essay model and my son excelled in that class. But the expository writing course was a different beast altogether. I'm proud to say that he did extremely well in the course, but not because I had taught him the 5 paragraph essay model; but because we had developed his reasoning/argument skills.

We are now trying to implement some of these ideas into our co-op writing assignments. But rather than do away with the 5 paragraph model, we are still using it as a framework, but requiring the students to do more reasoning and arguing in their papers. It is a process...

Once they learn the 5-paragraph essay, they know how to introduce and conclude their paper. They know how to build 3 points into their argument. They've learn thesis statement, topic sentence and bridging between paragraphs. These are basic elements of any paper.

I'd guess 95% of my daughter's college papers use these elements--yes, it may be 5 points or 10...but the structure is still there. (And, at this point in time, she still holds a 4.0 at the university, so it must be satisfying the professors.)

And that 4-year scholarship essay my daughter wrote was considered "smokin' hot" because not only did it have content but it had STRUCTURE--something glaringly missing in the majority of the papers.

My daughter helped a lot of students in their freshman English classes. She says the biggest problem in their papers was that they had no structure, making it hard to follow their argument.

So, even if people do not call it the 5-paragraph essay, I'm guessing they are still teaching the same elements, aren't they? Or then again...the high schools may very well not be teaching that, either.

So what does SWB teach?

Jean

I never heard of them until a few years ago. Since verbosity was never a problem for me, I just answered the question. Research papers generally had a minimum page number, also never a problem for a person who can't stop researching and is verbose.

My problem came in grad school where a prof limited our papers to 1 page and all the attachments we wanted. That one page had to include the business prob, our solution, 3 alternatives and why our solution was the best one. This was tough. The prof's reasoning is that our bosses wouldn't spend much time reading -- they wanted their options fast and if they had questions they could refer to the attachments or call the writer.

One thing I have learned from the 5 paragraph essay as taught by EIW is how to do a better Intro and concluding paragraph. However, I noticed in the high school theme book I just got that EIW does one 5 paragraph essay and the next assignment expands it to about 11-15 paragraphs.

ETA Others have commented that the 5 paragraph essay teaches is organization. One thing my papers did have was organization because I was taught the first thing to do when writing a report was to prepare a rough outline, then research and then do a detailed outline.

Edited by Kathy in MD

Same here.

The way I see it, it's much like teaching someone how to cook. Inexperienced cooks (or anyone trying a new recipe) follow the cookbook directions precisely. We cut, we chop, we measure to the exact specifications of the recipe. But once we have more experience and are comfortable in our knowledge and skill, we add our own elements to cooking; skip a step, combine steps, eyeball measurements as opposed to using our measuring tools, etc. We throw in spices, omit ingredients, and substitute others. We make it our own because we CAN.

Writing, to me, is very similar. Give them the recipe to follow. Allow them to make that recipe over and over again until they are so comfortable with it they deviate from the exact, precise method and branch out on their own -- all the while still turning out a well-written, well-organized paper.

Just my .02.

Same here.

The way I see it, it's much like teaching someone how to cook. Inexperienced cooks (or anyone trying a new recipe) follow the cookbook directions precisely. We cut, we chop, we measure to the exact specifications of the recipe. But once we have more experience and are comfortable in our knowledge and skill, we add our own elements to cooking; skip a step, combine steps, eyeball measurements as opposed to using our measuring tools, etc. We throw in spices, omit ingredients, and substitute others. We make it our own because we CAN.

Writing, to me, is very similar. Give them the recipe to follow. Allow them to make that recipe over and over again until they are so comfortable with it they deviate from the exact, precise method and branch out on their own -- all the while still turning out a well-written, well-organized paper.

Just my .02.

What a great comparison!

I graduated from a pathetic high school and was never taught to write 5-paragraph essays or any other kind of writing. When I took expository writing at Harvard, my professor loved my first essay, and praised me for "going beyond the standard 5-paragraph essay." I had to respond: "What is a 5-point essay??"

Nevertheless, I think I will teach my son what a 5-paragraph essay is and why it was so widely taught for so long. But I think I will immediately make it clear it is just a crutch or tool.

I enjoyed hearing SWB speak at the Midwest Homeschool conference this weekend. I attended her sessions on middle school and high school writing and gleaned a lot of information in both workshops.

My big question is..... So what do we emphasize? I realize that many essays don't need precisely 5 paragraphs, but is it not necessary to still teach the traditional essay structure? Don't we still need to teach the basics of introduction, body paragraphs with supporting points, and a conclusion? I am just at a loss since I always have taught the 5 paragraph essay as a basic structure and then have moved to modifying and loosening the structure for other assignments as the student's writing abilities matured.

Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks,

Leanna

Yes! This guy, Jeff House: http://www.christopher-gordon.com/Authors/house.shtml

He's wonderful. He's writing for classroom teachers, but much of what he says can be adapted to HS study, and he makes a point of addressing your same concern.

Well, it really doesn't matter how you or I or SWB views the 5 paragraph essay. I see it requested in AP classes, college classes, scholarship applications and contests. So, like it or not, kids have to be able to write a five paragraph essay.

HOWEVER-

It does not take four years to learn how to competently write the five paragraph essay. In fact, many students master it in middle school. Then they can occasionally practice it in high school. That is what I require of my writing students.

A good writer needs to be able to write competently no matter what the prompt, required structure or style.

With all due respect to Holly, I teach AP Lang. and Comp., and I can't tell you how many times my colleagues and I have tried to fight off the demon of the five-paragraph essay. If you look at the comments given by AP graders for the essays attaining the highest scores, they often emphasize that the best essays move beyond formula. Although I'm not a college teacher, I've heard the same from college teachers as well -- and often.

With all due respect to Holly, I teach AP Lang. and Comp., and I can't tell you how many times my colleagues and I have tried to fight off the demon of the five-paragraph essay. If you look at the comments given by AP graders for the essays attaining the highest scores, they often emphasize that the best essays move beyond formula. Although I'm not a college teacher, I've heard the same from college teachers as well -- and often.

Charles,

If you read my post again, you will see that we agree. As I noted at the end of my post,

And, I stand by my earlier thought. If I know my students will have to do something within the discipline I teach, I will prepare them to do it well.

If students do not know how to write anything other than a five-paragraph essay when they get to AP/college classes, then the job of the AP/college teacher is to TEACH how to get beyond the five-paragraph essay.

Holly

If students do not know how to write anything other than a five-paragraph essay when they get to AP/college classes, then the job of the AP/college teacher is to TEACH how to get beyond the five-paragraph essay.

Holly

Possibly I misunderstood you, then? I thought you were under the impression that AP classes and college classes (and scholarships, etc.) requested the five-paragraph essay. Possibly you meant by "requested" that they expected students to know it? If that was your meaning, yes, that's absolutely true -- but "requested" in the sense of want students to write that way, not at all! :)

I totally agree with you that the five-paragraph essay definitely could be mastered in middle school -- and should be! That way, by the time they get to their writing teacher, it might not be so hard to teach students that yes, there is life beyond the five-paragraph essay, a concept many have an understandably hard time grasping at first.

Possibly I misunderstood you, then? I thought you were under the impression that AP classes and college classes (and scholarships, etc.) requested the five-paragraph essay. Possibly you meant by "requested" that they expected students to know it? If that was your meaning, yes, that's absolutely true -- but "requested" in the sense of want students to write that way, not at all! :)

I totally agree with you that the five-paragraph essay definitely could be mastered in middle school -- and should be! That way, by the time they get to their writing teacher, it might not be so hard to teach students that yes, there is life beyond the five-paragraph essay, a concept many have an understandably hard time grasping at first.

I have seen the five paragraph essay requested as an entrance "exam" in order to enter an AP class. I have no experience with actual AP classes, although my dd is taking her first AP next year. I suspect that they are all very different. I have also observed more than one scholarship/essay contest that required the five-paragraph essay. I suspect that they are trying to compare a similar product, so they mandate a specific structure.

Charles, I'd be interested in learning your strategies for getting past the five-paragraph essay. Would you be willing to share?

Holly

:lurk5:

Look forward to replies. I'm sure the basics of intro, body, and conlcusion still hold. I always viewed the 5 paragraph essay as one of the "fool proof" methods for addressing many writing assignments. It gets students successfully through the writing portion of the SAT and the regents exam (may be particular to GA.) It got me through the regents exam! No idea what we should emphasize instead!

Mary

I second that. I'll respectfully disagree. And so would nearly every college instructor I personally know.:lurk5:

Plus I was always told that if you can't come up with at least 3 examples/reasons/positions for the 3 middle paragraphs that are supposed to support your thesis, then you either didn't do enough research or you didn't have enough of a subject to write about. I tend to agree.

I think the structure is good, but focusing only on "the 5 paragraphs" can give a child the mistaken idea that every issue can be addressed in 5 paragraphs or with 3 points. Rhetoric, as I understand it, focuses on what to write as opposed to how much. So for instance, in The Lively Art of Writing, the author suggests that students add a paragraph that examines the contradiction to their thesis statement. Then they proceed to prove their thesis.

So it seems that focusing on rhetoric and the art of argument would be the better way to go.

I have seen the five paragraph essay requested as an entrance "exam" in order to enter an AP class.

Ah! I see now! Sure, this makes sense -- as an AP teacher, the very, very least I would want is that my entering students should know how to write the five-headed monster. Regrettably, many of them cannot do that, but this is a gripe for another time.

Charles, I'd be interested in learning your strategies for getting past the five-paragraph essay. Would you be willing to share?

Holly

Oh, definitely. Earlier in the thread, I linked to this absolutely wonderful teacher, Jeff House, whose book Writing is Dialogue addresses that very concern. He's enthusiastic, clear, and outstanding as a teacher. Although his book is intended for classroom teachers, I'd still recommend it. He's great.:001_smile:

I think the structure is good, but focusing only on "the 5 paragraphs" can give a child the mistaken idea that every issue can be addressed in 5 paragraphs or with 3 points. Rhetoric, as I understand it, focuses on what to write as opposed to how much. So for instance, in The Lively Art of Writing, the author suggests that students add a paragraph that examines the contradiction to their thesis statement. Then they proceed to prove their thesis.

So it seems that focusing on rhetoric and the art of argument would be the better way to go.

Lively Art is a treasure, isn't it? Lucile Vaughn Payne "sounds" a great deal like Supernanny in my mental rendition of her voice -- very proper and British.

Oh, definitely. Earlier in the thread, I linked to this absolutely wonderful teacher, Jeff House, whose book Writing is Dialogue addresses that very concern. He's enthusiastic, clear, and outstanding as a teacher. Although his book is intended for classroom teachers, I'd still recommend it. He's great.:001_smile:

This looks very promising, unfortunately I can't spend any more money on books until next month.:tongue_smilie: Would you like to give us a teeny tiny example of "moving beyond the 5 paragraph essay" to keep us from drooling until we can get this book? :bigear:

I am definitely experiencing all of the problems with kids stuck in the "5 paragraph" mindset. I suggest, cajole, demonstrate, and stand on my head, but my class is hanging on to their 5 paragraphs and 3 points like they are a life preserver!

Thanks,

Leanna

Kimber,

I think I remember from an earlier thread that you were investigating The Lost Tools of Writing. Did you get it? Does that program help you with the art of argument? If not, have you found another resource to be useful?

Thanks,

Leanna

Rhetoric, as I understand it, focuses on what to write as opposed to how much. So for instance, in The Lively Art of Writing, the author suggests that students add a paragraph that examines the contradiction to their thesis statement. Then they proceed to prove their thesis.

By the time they include the 'normal' parts of a speech/paper (as typically defined in works on Rhetoric), it is well beyond five paragraphs. These are the parts I taught:

-introduction: not just an attention grabber, but why this is a worthwhile topic to be covered, set up the inital appeal - logos, pathos, ethos

-narration: cover the history, background of the topic, why topic is of particular import to audience, defines all terms

-partitio: introduces thesis (NOT in first paragraph), clearly outlines arguments

-confrimation: effective persuasive arguments

-refutation: anticipates and refutes arguments that others might make AGAINST this thesis

-conclusion: sum up the arguments, cast opponents’ arguments in a negative light, and arouse sympathy for the writer's cause

I am definitely experiencing all of the problems with kids stuck in the "5 paragraph" mindset. I suggest, cajole, demonstrate, and stand on my head, but my class is hanging on to their 5 paragraphs and 3 points like they are a life preserver!

might I suggest that for many kids it IS a life preserver? And that that is okay? I never tell my kids to only write a 5 paragraph essay, but we do always start with that model. Sometimes it grows, sometimes it doesn't.

I have found (in my very limited findings) that when it grows it's because they are interested in the topic and or have time to go deeper into the topic. When it does not grow, it's often because they flat out don't care about the subject (and let's face it they are not going to care about every topic/subject they are required to take in highschool/college, much as we'd love them to) or they don't have sufficient time to really get into it (which is very often the case due to deadlines and other classes and such).

This is simply the reality of time and interest to me. The 5 paragraph is simply considered a base minimum. and sometimes the minimum is enough to get the job done, kwim? For many kids, they hate writing on anything. They aren't looking to wow you or impress you - they just want to get the paper written and done and get a fairly good grade. Most of the time, the 5 paragraph model will get them very close to that goal.

See Kate's answer. I think what she has done is fantastic. And in fact is very similar to The Lost Tools of Writing.

TLTW begins with an outline for a 5 paragraph essay. From there, at each lesson, one of the elements (which Kate mentioned) is added. So their basic outline structure grows from week to week. The 5 paragraph essay is only the foundation upon which proving your thesis is built.

Also, each week the students work on style, but differently than in IEW. The style is more like the decorations in IEW.

By the way, I haven't gone through the program yet. I couldn't. My oldest isn't quite ready and in my high school class I didn't have the time. So we worked on some basic structure as suggested in The Lively Art of Writing. But I had a mixed abilities class and had to start at the paragraph, although some were doing college level work and really didn't need my direction other than to force them to be disciplined and to help them think through their arguments.

My daughter will be using TLTW next year. And I want to use it at co-op, but I'll have to see about that. They love IEW. I do too, but just for middle school. I think they should move on to rhetoric after that.

Our co-op is new so the children in the upper level classes have various skill levels. That has made teaching really hard.

This looks very promising, unfortunately I can't spend any more money on books until next month.:tongue_smilie: Would you like to give us a teeny tiny example of "moving beyond the 5 paragraph essay" to keep us from drooling until we can get this book? :bigear:

Thanks,

Leanna

Okay, one thing to remember is that all an essay needs is three major parts: an intro, a conclusion, and a body. The body can be of any length, really.

My favorite Jeff House technique was the spiral, where one begins an essay with what initially appears to be an irrelevant or trivial consideration. I remember a professor of mine writing an essay on Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" that began with the seemingly-meaningless question "Who is Jane?"

The spiral essay then expands to include issues of more immediate importance. In my professor's example, he demonstrated persuasively that "Jane" is the (up until then) unuttered name of the protagonist.

As the essay continues, its "radius" or circle of importance widens also. My professor then pointed out the similarities between Gilman's story and that other famous "madwoman in the attic," Mrs. Rochester of Jane Eyre -- and from there began to examine the degree to which "hysteria" and "melancholy" and other women's so-called "nervous conditions" were extensions of a culture which saw women as inherently dangerous, teetering on the edge of instability.

As his essay went on, his point expanded in importance, moving from a local issue in a story to a widespread issue in society at the time. Really cool method with a clearly defined structure, a clear reason how come you move from X to Y to Z...but no specific number of paragraphs.:D

Okay, one thing to remember is that all an essay needs is three major parts: an intro, a conclusion, and a body. The body can be of any length, really.

My favorite Jeff House technique was the spiral, where one begins an essay with what initially appears to be an irrelevant or trivial consideration. I remember a professor of mine writing an essay on Gilman's "The Yellow Wallpaper" that began with the seemingly-meaningless question "Who is Jane?"

The spiral essay then expands to include issues of more immediate importance. In my professor's example, he demonstrated persuasively that "Jane" is the (up until then) unuttered name of the protagonist.

As the essay continues, its "radius" or circle of importance widens also. My professor then pointed out the similarities between Gilman's story and that other famous "madwoman in the attic," Mrs. Rochester of Jane Eyre -- and from there began to examine the degree to which "hysteria" and "melancholy" and other women's so-called "nervous conditions" were extensions of a culture which saw women as inherently dangerous, teetering on the edge of instability.

As his essay went on, his point expanded in importance, moving from a local issue in a story to a widespread issue in society at the time. Really cool method with a clearly defined structure, a clear reason how come you move from X to Y to Z...but no specific number of paragraphs.:D

I taught The Yellow Wallpaper last year, but I'm still not following the idea of the spiral essay. Are you basically saying that in a spiral essay we move from very specific to extremely broad applications? I'll try and create an example and you tell me if I'm getting it.

Why should we avoid sugar.

(specific) Sugar causes cavities.

Sugar makes people gain weight.

(broader) Sugar is a "comfort crutch" for families who don't want to deal with what is really wrong in their lives.

(broader) Over indulgence in sugar is a primarily (totally making this part up) North American habit that represents our overindulgence in everything that is short-term in pleasure.

By the time they include the 'normal' parts of a speech/paper (as typically defined in works on Rhetoric), it is well beyond five paragraphs. These are the parts I taught:

-introduction: not just an attention grabber, but why this is a worthwhile topic to be covered, set up the inital appeal - logos, pathos, ethos

-narration: cover the history, background of the topic, why topic is of particular import to audience, defines all terms

-partitio: introduces thesis (NOT in first paragraph), clearly outlines arguments

-confrimation: effective persuasive arguments

-refutation: anticipates and refutes arguments that others might make AGAINST this thesis

-conclusion: sum up the arguments, cast opponents’ arguments in a negative light, and arouse sympathy for the writer's cause

Kate,

This is very helpful. Did you use a particular rhetoric text to teach this format.?

Thanks,

Leanna

---

Thank you Charles! I can work with this because it has a defined structure. I was never hung up on the "5" paragraphs as much as how to teach the students to move away from the traditional "5 paragraph/3point" structure. This has given me something to think about...

Thank you,

Leanna

Kate,

This is very helpful. Did you use a particular rhetoric text to teach this format.?

Thanks,

Leanna

No, i didn't. In a once-a-week co-op where we were already doing history (Western Civ) great books (about 1 every 2 -3 weeks) plus classroom projects (creative projects, living histories) writing instruction was just in class or some handouts.

Those parts aren't new with me - just the outline in most of the classical Rhetoric books. I got a lot of information from attending the Teacher Training at Logos School in Moscow, Idaho which was helpful in distilling down to some handouts. I did work through some examples with the students (the book of Philemon for example) so they could see it played out.

this has been a good discussion,