Menu

Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L'engle

My 9yo daughter picked this up at a library sale and loves it! She hasn't gone on and on about a book in a long time. I'm not into fantasy and haven't read these. She asked for the quintet for her birthday. Any fans? I vaguely remember reading about the author Madeline L'Engle in Victoria years ago. She's highly thought of as a writer isn't she?

I can't be this Anne of Green Gables, Little House and Betsy-Tacy loving mom has a daughter who continues to love fantasy. :)

I loved them all, but the rest of them are a little bit 'older.' Not that there's anything objectionable, just pretty complex. She'll probably like them anyway.

(If she's a fantasy fan, give her the best: Diana Wynne Jones! Give her "Charmed Life" or "The Lives of Christopher Chant." There are 5 books in the Chrestomanci Chronicles.)

And don't worry; it's perfectly possible to love Anne Shirley and Meg Murry!

Oh, L'Engle is my absolute favorite author of all time.

Her books go beyond fantasy; they are truly classics.

I would give a 9 year old the *first* book of the Meet the Austins series; I would suggest you pre-read the others. I'm sure I read them that young; I'm not sure my daughter would be ready for them. As someone else said -- nothing objectionable, just more mature.

There is a lovely children's book -- The Anti-Muffins. It is based on characters from the Austin family series, but geared for younger children.

Oh, and your daughter would probably LOVE the Emily series by L. M. Montgomery.

I was more Meg Murray than Anne -- but I loved Emily. ;)

...I think we got throught the first 3: Wrinkle in Time, Wind in the Door, Swiftly Tilting Planet. I think the 3rd on was too hard for them though...the vocabulary stepped up a bit, sentence structure, and even content just became more mature and harder to follow for little ones.

GREAT stories though!

:-)

The Wrinkle in Time series are fun, but a little heady. If you like sci-fi you'll like them, but she also has a lot of philosophical issues in them, too. I loved the Austin family series. Wonderful books. As the others have mentioned, her books for older readers are a little.... well, you'll definitely need to pre-read them.

I loved them, but my kids have never read them. I don't even know why!

My Madeleine L'Engle story -

When I was in college, I waitressed at a restaurant in Northampton, Mass. I was serving a nice table - two older women. I took the credit card I was given as payment, went to run it in the back - and nearly HYPERVENTILATED when I saw Ms. L'Engle's name on it!

When I went back to their table, I made a complete fool of myself, I'm pretty sure. :glare:

I loved them all, but the rest of them are a little bit 'older.' Not that there's anything objectionable, just pretty complex. She'll probably like them anyway.

The first three are terrific. I loved the first one as a 6th grader, then read the next three as they came out. The 4th one was okay, but not nearly as good as the first three. I haven't gotten around to reading the 5th one.

My fav is Many Waters but its probably most appropriate for 12+.

I think L'Engle is a true artist. A few yrs ago I re read all her stuff, both children's and adult works. She really knew so much- classical music, lit, and christianity as well! WHEW!

My favorite adult work was A Two Part Invention whichw as the story of her marriage to a well known soap star!

She has a lotof good contrast of dark to light in her work.

I loved these books as a child and reread them a million times. My kids loved them, too. A few years ago I was able to find (at the library) L'Engle's book, Marriage, A Two Part Invention. I think that was the name of it. It was the story of her life, her marriage, death, etc. The library had the book on tape and the narrator was HER! It was just wonderful. She talks of her husbands death and becomes so emotional, so amazingly real... I was sobbing there on the treadmill at the gym. It was a sight, I'm sure.

I love the 'Wrinkle' series. I learned to love the Vicki books, though there are some hard topics. Vicki actually turned out to be my favorite character now I'm an adult ... she's a 'real' kid who faces some real issues, and they aren't quite so fantasy. But I still love the Time books.

I would avoid the Polly books until she's older, as there's mature subject matter in those. And also very much in her adult novels.

Her journals are great.

She was an amazing writer.

Thanks for sharing! What do you mean by "mature"? Romance or just heavy themes? I'll go ahead and get her the quintet for her birthday next month, she may wait on the rest of the series. She loves to own her very favorite books. I may go ahead and buy her Edith Nesbitt books also. I missed those too when I was a girl, but we really liked The Railway Children. So many good books!