Menu

Why don't dentists work on Fridays????

My ds knocked a chunk (not a chip, a chunk) out of one of him front, upper, permanent teeth on a Thursday at 5:00 p.m. B/c he was not having any pain, he had to go around looking like a hillbilly until Monday! I have often suggested to him becoming a dentist and ONLY working on Fridays as a viable way to earn a good living.

However, I think if you are truly suffering your dentist might only play nine holes and then come in and help you out. It would certainly be worth a call.

My apologies to any dentists out there who do work on Fridays and who do not play golf. :D

Our office is closed Wednesdays and Friday afternoons. We work most Friday mornings, but we're off today!

My boss is a golfer and also owns a golf course. Today is a beautiful day in New England so he must be on the links!:)

Most dentists can be reached for emergencies. I hope you find some relief from your discomfort.:grouphug:

My dentist, whom I adore, doesn't have office hours on Fridays but I can call for an emergency visit. He once met me on a saturday morning at 8:00am to fix a crown that had fallen off. Does your dentist not have emergency backup?

LOL--dh is in seminary. I don't *have* a dentist.

My dentist, whom I adore, doesn't have office hours on Fridays but I can call for an emergency visit. He once met me on a saturday morning at 8:00am to fix a crown that had fallen off. Does your dentist not have emergency backup?

I agree with this. Ours closes at noon on Friday, but when our son landed with his mouth on a diving board from doing a back flip, he came in, checked it out and didn't charge us anything. Thankfully, his braces kept his teeth from falling out from it! ;)

Needless to say, he learned that I meant what I said when I had told him "No backflips."

Call anyway!

ANy dentist worth seeing will at the least call you in a prescription for pain (the good stuff, not Motrin!) and some will meet you for emergency root canals, etc.

I take my mouth pain very seriously- I'm already freaked out by just the thought of it, so I need my dentist to be on the same page. There should be an emergency number for a dentist, call it, they will call you back. I've only had to do it once, and I felt sort of bad, but he was very understanding and told me that any dentist worth seeing doesn't want people to suffer. Good advice, I miss that guy. If you are in Mississippi I can give you his number!!

Mine does. She even works 1 Saturday/mo. AND - if you call her office and they are closed, it gives you her pager number in case of emergency.

This would be why we travel 350 miles to see her. (That and we can't find a new one where we moved, gosh darn it.) I don't know what we'll do when we have an emergency now.

Well my husband doesn't golf. Except for putt putt golf! And when he was in private practice they worked a regular 8-4 or 5 day, monday through friday.

They did take call, which usually meant calling in a prescription, on rare occasion they'd go in on the weekend.

If you don't have a dentist in your area yet, you can go to the ER. The larger hospitals have dental related care and then have a dentist on call. When we first met he was a resident workign at a hopsital and was on call every third night or something crazy like that (think Grey's anatomy type 48 hour shifts type call). So he did do his time working all hours! LOL!

As for working, well I can't say much now, because I think my husband is working about 10 days between now and the beginning of June! But that is because he has so much leave to burn.

He usually takes a week of call a couple of times a year, and he usually have to go in at least a few times over the weekend for emergencies. The beauty of the Oral Pathology residency he about to start - once he's done, no more call, no more emergencies, and we can only live near cities with larger hospitals, so no more middle of nowhere bases!

Our dentist does! We spent our entire morning there today! Getting all 5 kiddo's, dh and I our cleanings! Sadly...we have to go back in a few weeks and take care of a couple of kiddo's cavities. Those appt's were conveniently scheduled on a Friday for me. :D

PS-Our dentist is a 2 hour drive from here... A good dentist is worth the drive!! Trust me on this! ;)