Menu

Best dog breed to potty train?

Well dont go for a Papillon thats for sure. We have been trying to potty train ours since September!

She's cute, low maintenance as far as grooming in concerned, and my kids adore her... so we'll keep on truckin' with potty training lol.

Well, my great-aunt lives in an assisted living facility, and her Shih-tzu has been trained to do this from the beginning. She wasn't physically able to take her outside every few hours in the winter in Colorado, so she trained her to go on those pads from the beginning. My aunt is very particular about her house/apartment, too, and she's been happy with the pads.

and she was pretty much trained when I got her. They kept them in an area with papers (and their bed) when they were puppies....and so I really didn't have to 'train' her. So when they left their bed...they were always on paper and went on that.

I wouldn't do it any other way...I love not having to get up early to 'take the dog out' LOL...but I am pretty lazy....LOL.

Hmm, I will have to check Havanese and Shih Tzu. Any luck w/Chihuahuas or Silky Terriers?

I know there must be many sweet, loving Chihuahuas, but I gotta tell you that in the last 4 or 5 years--however long The Dog Whisperer has been on National Geographic--the breed of dog that Cesar Millan has worked with the most has been Chihuauas. Not pit bulls, not rotweillers, not any other dog that we tend to think of as being a problem...Chihuauas. I guess it's because they're so little and cute and their owners let them get away with murder. So if you get one, you just need to be aware that the little guy still needs to be disciplined.

Our fox terrier was bred outside, and as a puppy she did all her business outside so she was easy to train. Our rat terrier was inside most of the time crated and got use to doing her business inside & she was difficult to train.

Look and ask how they were trained before you get the dog.

I've heard of it being done with Italian Greyhounds. You really should figure out what temperament you want in your dog first. Then once you narrow your list down that way you can contact breed rescues or go on breed specific forums to ask specifically about training a dog to go in a litter box or on a pee pad. That's what I'd do anyway. It's very important to make sure the temperament of the dog will fit in with your family, otherwise it won't matter where they go to the bathroom.