Menu

Female content- sanitary options...

My 11yodd is nearing the time when her cycle is to begin- all the signs are there!

So, I'm wondering if a particular brand of pad is better for young girls just starting out. She is very small for her age and skinny as a stick and I just KNOW she's going to be self-conscious about a "big, adult sized" pad.

Back when I started, Always brand had a "teen" version that was slimmer and shorter, but I can't seem to find anything like that in the stores.

Any opinions on brands? Or any advice as we get closer to the momentous occasion? LOL!

Thanks,

Tiffany

Can't you get pads in different sizes? We have maxi, mini and night pads available. Some brands are super thin, others are bulky. I usually use cloth pads, which are also made in different sizes, but I keep a packet of disposable slim pads in the drawer for emergencies.

Rosie

Well... I got my period when I was 9. Mom handed me a couple of huge pads and that was it.:001_huh: I hated the ginormous pads, and even though my cycle wasn't regular for a couple of years... it was a pain.

What I really wish is that my mom had talked to me about using tampons and walked me through it. My mom was NOT interested in talking about "that sort of thing". I finally got up the courage to try them on my own when I was about 13 or so. Let's just say that the learning curve was steep, even with the little booklet. :blink: It would have been sooooo wonderful if mom had been more informative. Even if she still started me with pads, a discussion about tampons, using them as a virgin, etc would have been the most helpful thing ever.

The momentous occasion happened to my dd when she was on a week long camp. Her friend immediately introduced her to tampons. So much for anything I might have thought about waiting a while before introducing them! But, no harm done- she was 14 and mature enough to use them.

Oh, and any thoughts I had about making it a special occasion, taking her out to a meal, buying her something lovely....well, they haven't happened either. She is so matter of fact. For her, having her best friend help her through it was the best thing that could have happened. She just brushed it all off, but asked me to bring her some tampons and some pain killers to the camp for her.

This kid just brings herself up.

Thanks, ladies!

I ordered a free "girl" pack from Always, and I'm going to look at Kotex today. I think we'll pass on the tampons for now. I talked to her about it recently (the topic is very open and casual so no fearfulness on her part) and she absolutely DID NOT like the idea of a tampon! LOL! She's funny, once she sets her mind to something, the world could turn upside down and she'd never change! LOL!

I was just looking for pads that weren't so long for her size and it looks like the Always Ultra Thin Slender may fit the bill- we'll see.

Also, I really recommend the booklet called Lady Day by Joy Moore. I've met the author at our convention and she is the sweetest woman with 4 (I think) great young girls. We went through the booklet and had a "Lady Day" where we picked out face cleansers, bras and other girly products all in preparation for the changes coming. There is a beautiful message and letters that you read with your daughter during the day. I highly recommend it!

http://daughters4god.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=40

For those of you whose dds use tampons... exactly HOW steep is that learning curve? My dd started a few months ago... (on my birthday, no less.) She really wants to use them, NEEDS to use them because of her involvement in dance, but hasn't been able to yet. She says they hurt and she feels like a total loser. She's not comfortable talking about it with her friends and there is no way she's going to let me come in and help her. Yes, she's read the booklet in the box and I've bought the smallest size I can find, but still we've been unsuccesful. Any hints?

For those of you whose dds use tampons... exactly HOW steep is that learning curve? My dd started a few months ago... (on my birthday, no less.) She really wants to use them, NEEDS to use them because of her involvement in dance, but hasn't been able to yet. She says they hurt and she feels like a total loser. She's not comfortable talking about it with her friends and there is no way she's going to let me come in and help her. Yes, she's read the booklet in the box and I've bought the smallest size I can find, but still we've been unsuccesful. Any hints?

Your dd is not going to like this answer. I had to help my dd the first couple of times, when she needed to use them for swimming (she was invited to a pool party during her first cycle). After she felt what the correct placement was like, she was able to use tampons on her own. I don't recall the brand, but at the store where I bought them there was only one brand of very slim size.

A sample pack is a good idea, so your dd can try out various options. My dd tried the ultrathin and didn't like them. She prefers regular pads.

If your sample pack doesn't include them, you might want to get a couple of different styles of nighttime pads for her to try.

My dds aren't that age yet, but I do remember trying to use cardboard applicators at first and wondering what the heck was wrong with me that they were so difficult. Discovering plastic applicators was wonderful :D! After some practice with those, it was easier to go back to earth-friendlier cardboard.

Your dd is not going to like this answer. I had to help my dd the first couple of times, when she needed to use them for swimming (she was invited to a pool party during her first cycle). After she felt what the correct placement was like, she was able to use tampons on her own. I don't recall the brand, but at the store where I bought them there was only one brand of very slim size.

Oh my! Not sure how well that would go over with dd. I could try.... and perhaps you could send flowers to my funeral! LOL! I have offered to help her, but so far she isn't going for it. Maybe when she gets desperate enough... Thanks for your help. I'm going to try a few different pharmacies, to see if I'm missing some special "extra slim" brand.

My dds aren't that age yet, but I do remember trying to use cardboard applicators at first and wondering what the heck was wrong with me that they were so difficult. Discovering plastic applicators was wonderful :D! After some practice with those, it was easier to go back to earth-friendlier cardboard.

:iagree:..

try the plastic applicators and remind her that it will feel like the tampon is pointing towards her tailbone, NOT directly vertical.

My DD hated the Always she tried (i can't stand them either). We both use Stayfree Ultra thin pads. I've told her she can pick whatever she wants - she's sticking with those for now.

I second these ones. I can't stand Always either... they give me a rash by th end of the cycle. I've been using Stayfree for 10 yrs and although I've tried other brands, the Stayfree ones are tops IMO. They do have compact sizes with the diagram on the outside to compare. I'd use them *gasp* for my 10yr old dd when the time *gasp* arrives *choke* *faint* (must. not. think. about. it)

I'm not sure that it is a learning curve, but for some they are painful and cause cramping. My own experience was that my body rejected them and my periods were far more painful. We buy a variety of pads for the ladies in our home to cover all the bases of varied needs. I like the idea of washable cloth and use them on light days, but have found them "shifty." lol

You know, there is such a creature out there called a "menstrual cup", and although I've never seen/used one, I know at least 2 women who use them and love them. They say they'll never use pons or pads again. Perhaps that is something worth looking into? :confused:

Look for Diva or Luna menstruation cups. They are usually more comfortable, reusable and have no history of toxic shock syndrome like tampons. They will end up saving you a huge amount of money in the long run and they have small sizes. I have heard (second hand) that Luna is usually better for young girls but I believe they are out of England so a little more hassle to buy. Our Good Foods Store carries Diva. About $40 and last forever.

This is what I did as well. Neither of us was really thrilled at the experience, but in hindsight we both agree that it was the best option and saved her a lot of frustration.

We use cloth. I made her a set of her own.

I was going to suggest cloth too. It's so much better for the skin, they are just far more comfortable. I'm not industrious enough to make my own, but there are lots of online stores that sell them, and they come in a variety of sizes and styles. I've even seen "teen packs", which I plan to buy for my dd eventually.