Menu

Master's in Home Education?

QUESTION: Does an online Master's program exist in Home Education?

QUESTION: Would you go back to school for a Master's in Home Education, if a program were ever developed?

BACKGROUND: I just finished the first week of the first class for my online Master's in Education (focus on curriculum and instruction). I am doing it for my personal enrichment and as a plan B, when DH goes to seminary and I might need to go back to work (I would still need to test to get certified). BUT, I feel so disconnected and in a totally different place than my PS teacher peers. Though the content of my class is good, I apply it totally differently.

MY DREAM: to get a Master's in Home Education!

If a program doesn't exist, this is how I would set one up. Please, join me. Dream with me!

PURPOSES: 1) personal development; 2) counseling/helping/developing other hs'ing mothers/communities

TOPICS for CLASSES (this is the fun part):

*Developing Educational Philosophy

*Family Dynamics

*Child/Adolescent Development

*Current Trends in HSing

*HS and Govt

*Co-op/Umbrella School Administration

*Counseling 101

*Technology in HSing

*HSing Internationally

*Curriculum Writing

WHY NOT: I can think of several reasons why a person would not go for this kind of program.

1) Finances: but what if the profs were volunteer? I would volunteer after my kids graduated and my DH retired! Then tuition would be minimal!

2) Worth it? As we develop programs/classes, it would be more and more worthwhile!

3) Location: it'd have to be all online!!!

4) Don't need it: I think this program would be geared toward HSers who want to impact the HS community at large, not just the average HS mom...

Okay, so that's my dream! I'm asking you all what the Hive thinks because even though I don't post alot, I reap alot from you and have come to respect you as a HSing body!!! So, if you say it's crazy, then I believe you! But if you have interest in it, I believe that we have enough power to get something started! That's a crazy thought. But I was really thinking of sending a letter to Patrick Henry College or somewhere with these ideas. I thought I'd ask HSing parents, though, first, to find out if anyone would be truly interested.

So, are you?

This makes me think because I am getting ready to go back to school this summer to get my Masters in Education. I am a former PS teacher and now a current homeschool mom. My desire is to become a college professor in Education if and when my husband needs to stay at home full time due to his fibromyalgia. My desire is to change the way Education is taught at colleges to encompass all types of education: public school, private school, charter schools, home schools. I feel that the way it is taught, public school education is just the assumed realm for which we are preparing graduates. In this day and age, with homeschooling and individualized educational methods on the rise, though, that is just not true.

Not once, in pursuing my college degree in Education did I hear the name Charlotte Mason or learn anything about classical education. Why? Why are entire philosophies and styles only being studied by home educators? This is something I hope to change in the education world. We are a diverse population and public education the way it is done is simply outdated.

That's a neat idea & I'm curious to hear the responses.

I wouldn't go for that degree myself because if I went back to school again, I just want to take only the classes I'm interested in (and not the 'requirements' necessarily). My goal in going back would not be to get another degree but to instead attend & participate in classes that intrigue me. And, in a situation like that, I'd also like to have classes in person (vs. online, but that's just my age showing, lol). So, basically, I'd be going back for fun of learning through particular classes & not pursing a specific degree or graduation track.

Just curious: Do they ever talk about Maria Montessori and the Montessori method?

I have a couple of friends that train Montessori teachers - they have taught in Montessori schools (owned a few of them) and run a company that sells Montessori supplies and curricula to Montessori schools. (Their son and daughter in law now own and run one of the schools they used to own. My two youngest went there for a year and it was wonderful!)

A few weeks ago we had dinner, and they were looking through the math curriculum I have been using with my 9 year old daughter. They thought it look good, and told me so. I mentioned that while what I was doing wasn't really Montessori, it sort of had some of the elements.

The husband looked at me and said "One on one teaching with a child is best. Montessori is 2nd best." He and his wife basically went on to talk about how they home schooled their kids for a few years before they started their first school.

I am just curious if they talk about Montessori in college at all?

I think it would be very interesting if they did offer a specialized degree in Home Education. However, I wonder how hard it would be to put that together. Maybe they could have it a MS in Education, but with a focus on Home Education?

Perhaps some of the smaller liberal colleges would be more likely to consider that - the ones that allow you to create a major. Do they still have those?

I bought and read (at home) the complete volumes of Charlotte Mason's works. To me, that was a Masters in Home Education. I'm 6 years into my student teaching!

Re. Montessori - there are degrees in Montessori education. In fact, to teach at a true Montessori school you have to be certified in Montessori ed. - not just any kind of teacher's training.

I bought and read (at home) the complete volumes of Charlotte Mason's works. To me, that was a Masters in Home Education. I'm 6 years into my student teaching!

Re. Montessori - there are degrees in Montessori education. In fact, to teach at a true Montessori school you have to be certified in Montessori ed. - not just any kind of teacher's training.

I have friends that don't have teaching degrees that went through the certification. However, I was just curious if they discussed her method in college at all.

I haven't had a chance to read Charlotte Mason's stuff, except some occasional things here and there online. But it is definitely on my to read list!

MY DREAM: to get a Master's in Home Education!

If a program doesn't exist, this is how I would set one up. Please, join me. Dream with me!

;) LOL... well, I completed only half of my Master's program over 15 years ago. And quite honestly, I don't think I'd go back to complete it! There are far too many things in this delightful world to pursue. Once my son is out of the nest and in college... I'd like to travel overseas and work with orphanages in building schools. No degree needed. Just some zeal and lots of prayer! I have many missionary friends who'd love someone like you with your background -- no MA degree necessary.

Many of you lovely ladies who have done a fabulous job of raising your child and educating them at home -- there are BOUNDLESS opportunities for you to reach out and touch the world with your expertise! Tutoring an at-risk child, foster care, teaching in the public/private schools, community colleges, etc. Not to mention the possibilities of being an educational diagnostician, child psychologist, etc. Write a book or present at a conference. The sky is the limit!

Edited by tex-mex

There's no way I'd want or want to pursue a Master's in Home Education.

First, between state and provincial regulations and different styles there's just such a huge range of variation that I can't see one program addressing it all well.

Second, we cede too much to degreed experts as it is these days and home education is one of the few arenas where life learning, passion and experience count for MUCH more then a university degree. I don't want to see that change.

Third, if there was such a program how long would it be before state and provincial governments started requiring it in order to legally homeschool children?

Mostly though, my heart's with the second reason. We've lost our sense of respect for those people who are experts by virtue of their own life experience, ambition and self-directed learning these days and don't tend to take someone seriously unless they've a degree of some sort. I'd hate to see home schooling fall into that as well.

I love to study, I'd be a permanent student if I could. But, I wouldn't do a Masters in Home Education. IMHO, you can learn all you need on the job. Formal classes might be almost a hindrance to homeschooling in the same way a boxed curriculum can make the job harder. If you have a square peg, you need the intellectual and emotional freedom to follow your own path. Knowing that you're not following the vision laid out in your Masters program would just make that harder.

I agree with everything Wishbone Dawn said. In addition, I'd hate to see homeschooling codified and standardized by "experts".

As a 10-year adjunct professor, I know that there's a lot to putting together a new major, the least of which is dealing with the legal requirements and accrediting requirements. We did it in the department where I teach and it took us three years. Accreditation is a high-stakes process these days where you have justify every course and every aspect of a degree program as well as proving with evidence that there's a demand for the degree. So yes, then you'd involve the state because you have to show that those who come out can fulfill state requirements and understand what they are.

And who would do this? The education professors, oh dear, I hope not. Given that homeschooling is not an academic study yet, they would be the only ones. And the majority would be clueless, I'm afraid.

Interesting to think about, but no, I don't think it will happen unless an unaccredited school would take it up, and I personally wouldn't bother with an unaccredited degree like that. I have a few other things to focus on.

Not once, in pursuing my college degree in Education did I hear the name Charlotte Mason or learn anything about classical education.

:iagree:

I have a Master's Education and was certified for preschool through 8th grade, but I never heard anything positive about homeschooling or classical education. Montessori methods were praised, although they were considered way outside the mainstream.

I have friends that don't have teaching degrees that went through the certification. However, I was just curious if they discussed her method in college at all.

I haven't had a chance to read Charlotte Mason's stuff, except some occasional things here and there online. But it is definitely on my to read list!

Not in my master's program. Not at all. But my mom read her bio to me when I was in kindergarten, & I worked for a mont. sch. in college. I almost got certified instead of doing the MA, but I found out we were expecting baby #2 during the summer when our intensive classes would be.

Yes, Wishbone Dawn, I thought about all that after I logged off and tried to go to sleep! DH's first words to me were, "What about accreditation?" Ack! Talk about reality bursting the happy dream bubble!

:D

But I did think about it a bit. I don't want HSing to be codified or standardized or whatever, either, which is why in my dream list of classes I didn't add topics like Teaching Methods or Choosing a Curriculum. Mostly I chose topics that related to HSing as a movement within our culture and topics that would equip individuals to counsel/help HSing moms/communities, not to indoctrinate them, but to help them figure out what they wanted to do in their own homeschools.

(Okay, so I never learned how to quote people in my responses, I should learn how to soon!)

I can't remember who mentioned it, but someone expressed desire in taking classes that interested them but not necessarily pursuing a degree. That would definitely be an option in my dream program because I know we're all insanely busy and we have different goals. How that would contribute to the financial side of things, I have no clue :)

And in answer to the question, who would teach these courses? We would! Real life HSing moms/dads who have gained experience and have a desire to pass it on to others!

Also, since my kiddies are only 5,3,1 I would have no time to develop anything remotely near to this for another decade or two! But I just want to help my friends be the best HSing moms they can be. I know I can do that with just my own experience and reading :)

Oh, and about accreditation. As I was looking for a school that offered a Master's of Ed I found some interesting ones that weren't accredited by a govt association and they listed reasons why they did that. Some were sketchy, but I'm sure that if they're legit, the whole word-of-mouth thing would keep them going. My dream program would not be for people who want a degree for a job or for prestige, but would be for folk who want to be a better parent and help others.

So, maybe instead of offering a degree, I would just offer classes, like other posters mentioned :)

Thanks for your input! I hope more people will add their two cents!

Oh, and my SIL was thinking of going back to school to get Montessori training. She would have to had to go to one of a few Montessori training schools.

And when I was first developing my educational philosophy, I asked my PS teacher friend if she knew anything about classical ed. Never heard of it, she said!

I have to agree with WishboneDawn.

I think as soon as the homeschool movement is put into "educationalese" we will have lost precious freedom.

I have a BSE music ed, and I agree with you whole-heartedly that in general ed majors are robbed when it comes to the lack of exploring ed philosophy. I know I was given an outline with bullet points describing the schools' own philosophy that we were to adopt and reword in to "our own" philos of ed. It was only after researching HS options that I poured over the writings of Montessori and Mason and SWB:001_smile:, as well as others. There is no class I could have taken that would compare with the hours I spent reading while my babies were napping....and I couldn't have done that on a class schedule.

I would encourage anyone who feels the pull to educate HSers to use the venue of book writing and conventions/workshops. I'd love to see HSing workshops in every county of the country (thinking State Conventions, but more local and accessible) - I just want the public sector to keep their grubby hands off:tongue_smilie::lol:

I do remember Montessori being mentioned in my education classes. However, there is sooo much educational philosophy, etc. I was not taught. How can anyone be given a degree in education when so many influential philosophies are left out? This just grates on me. I just don't see how Charlotte Mason can influence so many homeschoolers and be completely left out of a degree in EDUCATION. I don't see how classical education--the type of education that has been around since the Greeks, would not be covered! It seems as if they think that true education only started with John Dewey; I guess before that no one was educated!:confused:

I don't think we need a degree in Home education. I feel that a true degree in education would cover all types of education or else a person has truly not "mastered" that subject.

Masters of Non-Traditional Educational Setings. Or maybe you'd have to call it Non-Institutional Educational Settings. Or sopmething to imply it was outside of a regular government-style classroom setting.

That would encompass home school instructors/consultants, as well as zoo & museum educators, small group (a la co-op class) instruction, outdoor/environmental educators.

Maybe this has already been mentioned, I don't have time to read all the replies just now.

It seems if there was such a thing, it would be awfully tempting for the states to require it for homeschooling parents....

My opinion? No college can teach homeschooling. The whole point of homeschooling is that every family, and every child, is different. So whatever might be taught would only apply to a small percentage of the people (just like it does for the outschool teachers' education).

I received by BS in Education and held 2 separate certifications back in 1991. I did learn some about Montessouri back then. In fact, that's what got me interested in the idea of non-public schools. I can look back now and see how God was preparing my heart for me to be a homeschool teacher way back then. It's just amazingly scaring what is and is NOT taught in colleges for teaching degrees!

:iagree:

I am working through the 6 volume series too and I am also a Montessori teacher, but am currently homeschooling only. I wanted to get a degree in CM, but sadly it does not exist. I believe the original CM volumes really are a Masters in Home Education. Too bad we could not get some heft behind this study and be recognized for it.

I too am 6 years into student teaching .:001_smile:

I agree with everything Wishbone Dawn said. In addition, I'd hate to see homeschooling codified and standardized by "experts".

:iagree: although sometimes it would be nice to be recognized for all the efforts we put forward to educate ourselves, if only to have other employment options when our homeschooling days end.

Bachelor of Arts in Christian Education (B.A.C.E.)

A four-year degree program requiring a minimum of 120 credit hours. This course is specifically geared for those who are already involved in home schooling K through 12 children, and is intended to equip them for the vital task of educating their children for the glory of God. The focus of the course is on Biblical and education training, and the general education component is intended to develop the academic skills necessary for effective teaching. There is a strong practical and self study element that emphasizes the application of the course material to the children under instruction by the student.

It is our prayer that, as voices are increasingly raised in opposition to home schooling, and restrictive legislation inevitably follows, this degree will provide some protection for those exercising their God-ordained duty of educating their own children in the security of their own home.

Whitefield College offers one ;)

http://www.whitefieldcollege.org/index.php?pnm=welcome_center/academic_information/degree_programs