Menu

Kindergarten?

Impish

Tazzie is 4 as of Feb 15. By ps standards, he wouldn't be allowed to enter K for another year...but this kiddo has been counting since he was two, abcs since about then, and is a sneaky reader. I say 'sneaky' cause he'll suddenly show evidence that he's reading (like correcting us on which salad dressing is which by reading the labels:001_huh:) but then won't actually *read* a book or words when asked. "You do it, k Mom?" accompanied with a heavy sigh.

I'm working on phonics with him, as he'll tolerate. He'll work with me sometimes, other times I get a, "No ganks, Mom." and thats that.

But, let me start teaching Princess, our 2.5 yo, and he's all over it. *sigh*

So, my question is this: How do you manage with 2 children so close in age, yet so far apart in learning development? And is there any way at all to encourage consistancy, or do we just keep riding the 5 minute wave of interest here and there? (Yeah, I pretty much know the answer to that one already...ride the wave, lol!)

I'll admit, I'm nervous when it comes to the Littles, as we tend to call Tazzie and the Princess. Diva, our 10 yo came home mid grade 3, so she was already reading, etc. I call her my 'pre fabricated learner'...she had the basics. I'm worried about screwing up the Littles, since they're with me from the very get go. :blush:

Sounds kind of like Sylvia, who just turned 4 last week. I've "started" her in Singapore EB and ETC 1 so she feels like she's doing important work and getting Mommy attention too. But sometimes she just doesn't feel like doing anything, so I turn her loose. She can do whatever she wants as long as she's quiet and doesn't distract Becca. Well, you know how that works. :glare: So I think you've already got it - just ride the wave and try to include him wherever you can. Sylvia sits in and absorbs some lessons of Becca's.

I don't consider Sylvia to be a K'er even though she is about at that level of work. Until she's 5, she's a free agent. ;)

See, here kindergarten isn't mandatory, so Tazzie won't start school til gr. That's another 2 yrs off, and quite frankly, he's going to drive me right round the bend by then...and the bend is within sight as it is, lmao!

He *wants* to read more. He's getting impatient with not being able to figure out all the words. All my kids are book addicts :D

Also, I'm afraid (and maybe needlessly) that if I don't get him into some sort of pattern now, it may be really difficult to suddenly introduce later. "Ok, now that you're 6, sit down and learn!" kinda gig, lol! I'm hoping that if I start now, it'll build a strong foundation for when the 'legal' schooling begins.

But I'll be honest...its about preserving my sanity mostly. He's getting bored. And if I don't keep him mentally engaged and busy, he'll FIND something interesting to do...and that's NEVER a healthy thing for my sanity. Trust me.

My daughter was where your son is at about that age. Rather than doing formal lessons for kindy, we did a lot of educational games and TV. She *loves* "Between the Lions" on PBS and www.starfall.com . For math we just did general stuff like "How many plates do we need tonight?" The dollar store has lots of little workbooks that we used when she demanded "school" like what her brothers were doing, and with them she has learned a few small things. She loves her LeapPad and uses it frequently.

We'll start formal lessons with her in September as a first grader.

\

Also, I'm afraid (and maybe needlessly) that if I don't get him into some sort of pattern now, it may be really difficult to suddenly introduce later. "Ok, now that you're 6, sit down and learn!" kinda gig, lol! I'm hoping that if I start now, it'll build a strong foundation for when the 'legal' schooling begins.

But I'll be honest...its about preserving my sanity mostly. He's getting bored. And if I don't keep him mentally engaged and busy, he'll FIND something interesting to do...and that's NEVER a healthy thing for my sanity. Trust me.

He's just 4.

Don't worry.

I understand developing a pattern and I understand keeping them out of trouble. Oh, do I understand.

If he interrupts and is all over a lesson that Princess is getting, I would calmly tell him he can have his lesson once Princess's lesson is done.

There can be a big difference between just 4 and 4.5, or 4.75, or 5. Catch him when he's eager, but don't torture him when he's not.

You won't screw them up. You'll do fine :001_smile:.

A couple of things. Bored is actually good. That is when they get creative. When my kids are bored, I offer to find them something to do - usually an unsavory chore. When I am teaching my 8yo, my 4yo has three choices, she can join us at the table and I have a quiet task for her to do and will alternate between the two, she can play quietly without disturbing us, or she can play in her room. We have worked on reinforcing that with her ever since the middle started lessons. Before that, those were the same choices the middle had when the oldest was doing school work.

But please don't think it is your job to entertain/teach them constantly. Have some simple and quiet things for them to do while the other is working, keep the lessons short (15 minutes of so for that age), and let them be bored so they can stretch those imaginations.

We've spent the last couple of weeks telling DD "school will start in September." This lets her know that the way our days are structured is going to change. She has older brothers, so she sees that they do not have the option of playing when work needs to be done, and I don't really foresee many issues as long as I keep my expectations realistic.

Similar here, my kiddos are only 18m apart but world apart in terms of learning. We do school straight after breakfast even before I do the dishes. They are freshest then. I always start with the youngest and make it clear to the oldest that it is DS's special time now and not to answer the questions. DD is pretty good with that most of the time. I will do as much or as little as he will tolerate and then he is free for the rest of the day unless he chooses to listen in or participate in DD's stuff. Then I move on to DD. We are over and done within a couple of hours and the rest of the day they do their own thing.

When I had this issue, I started using Heart of Dakota's Pre-K program (for ages 2-5)...it covers early math and phonics skills and much more plus it is TONS of FUN! Takes very little time each day and can be split up into 5 min. here and there to accommodate the wiggliest of wigglers. ;)

You can always do bag school and lapbooks. I would make up activities that could only be done during "school" time and put in gallon ziplock bags. The crate that held them came out at school time and they could pick a bag. For preschoolers it contained things like a stick and construction paper to punch holes around an object in the bag to make a hole outline that the light would shine through, coloring pages, stained glass coloring, interesting counters that varied, links, beans, tiny blank books with crayon and stickers, and the fab - draw with a candle on paper before hand and then have them color it, when the drawing appeared they were shocked -Pure Magic-...

Sometimes, I would make pattern cards for the counters or links and throw them in the bags. The bags instilled the pattern of "school" and then we would read a book. For one reader, I would put in alpha dice, letters, and bob books. Type up simple science experiments on a card and stick those with the supplies in a bag. For some reason it was far more interesting in the "bag":001_smile:

Singapore Early bird and their early science were great hits at that age.

We learned math facts, shapes, and letter sounds jumping from answer to answer on the floor or the stairs, playing simon says, and just basically running wide open ( I should be far skinnier than I am)

It will work out. Expose them to what they need to know in a fun and exciting way and they will learn.

I think children benefit from developing lengthier attention spans at this age. And I think this helps when it comes to formal schooling.

I would set up two short "school" times. Make it fun. But make it clear that it is not a choice. I'd start with right after breakfast. First I'd read a couple of fun books and then get the child started on a project like a challenging puzzle or writing in colored sand. Work with them a while and then say "I need to go help sister". I want you to stay here and work on this a while.

Try to increase "on task" time to twenty minutes.

If you really want a curriculum, I'd recommend mothershubbard (free online curriculum with daily lessons and hands on--and it even has fun phonics stuff).

I started with my child when he was 3 because he was interested and wanted to. He is now reading at an end of first/beginning of second grade level, writing sentences, you name it...and he is 5 and a half. By state standards, he would start KINDERGARTEN *this* coming August.

Just a funny side note...my dh told my 5 year old the other day (after said 5 year old read him a book with paragraphs rather than sentences on each page) that he would only be starting Kindergarten this fall if he wasn't homeschooled. My little fella looked at him and said, "yeah dad...I know how to read and those kids are just learning how to pick their noses..." :lol: Where do they get these things?:D

At that age I did Phonics Pathways and Saxon Math K, loosely, for my 4 yo DS. In PP you teach short vowel sounds first. We did short a, e, i, o, u for quite some time before he could differentiate between them -- but in a really low key, during "life" kind of way. Saxon Math was a bit of table work, but almost all hands on (lots of manipulatives). DD, who is 2 years younger than her brother, joined in for our learning times. Now, she's almost at her big brother's level. :)

Well, I wouldn't worry about really "doing" anything until he's officially in school. No matter what level my kids are working on, I place them in grades according to what they would be in Public School.

Audrey, I assume you refer to when you file whatever paperwork you need with your state. May I ask why you list them according to their chronological age rather than their working grade level? Is there any benefit to doing it one way ratherr than another?

At that age we are just doing "school" when we feel like it. The most common time is when the younger two are sleeping, but I've also incorporated ds into the activities at his own level. Next fall ds will tag along with dd's K year studies as he wishes.

We have turned most "school" activities into games or we just learn through everyday life. I would highly recommend Montessori Read and Write for pre-reading and pre-writing games and activities. I'm even using some of the easier ideas with 3yo ds. We mostly learn math through games and everyday life as well.

I think children benefit from developing lengthier attention spans at this age. And I think this helps when it comes to formal schooling.

:iagree:

We start some formal schooling at 4. Phonics is done for about 5 minutes. Math takes another 5, and then we read some books together right after breakfast. DS loves having a scheduled one on one time with me.

Books on tape and kumon books are other great options for this age.

Audrey, I assume you refer to when you file whatever paperwork you need with your state. May I ask why you list them according to their chronological age rather than their working grade level? Is there any benefit to doing it one way ratherr than another?
YES! There is way less pressure on both teacher and student. If they slow down at some point later, you don't have to worry about holding them back. Also, if the state decides to check up on you, wouldn't you rather they be blown away than think your kids are right on par?

It is really easy to skip a couple of grades at any point and start high school or college early.

YES! There is way less pressure on both teacher and student. If they slow down at some point later, you don't have to worry about holding them back. Also, if the state decides to check up on you, wouldn't you rather they be blown away than think your kids are right on par?

It is really easy to skip a couple of grades at any point and start high school or college early.

Also no matter how bright or advance, a 5 year old still has 5 year old moments. It's just a lot easier to keep them in the age appropriate grade while letting them work at whatever level. We run a co-op and we insist that the kids go into their age appropriate level no matter what they are doing at home unless we have known them a long time and know the kid is across the board advanced. Otherwise, you get the 6 year old math whiz who can beat the socks off the high school kids but still can't write well enough to take notes in the math class or needs to hear high school talk. Plus, if you say you have 3 rd grader because they can do 3rd grade work,then most people except them to do all things like a 3rd grader even if he's only 4.:D Sorta like having the way bigger child. Everyone expects them to be much older and are shocked and upset when they act their age. I'd rather they be shocked they were way ahead then shocked they were rolling on the floor throwing a perfectly natural tantrum for their age.:lol: I just learned to let them stay in their school grade. Plus, it may matter when applying for scholarships or tests or teams in the higher grades. Some do have age and grade qualifications.