Menu

Raising Godly Tomatoes

I use this method. Do not get hung up about the spanking part. It actually is not that bad. We rarely have to spank our kids. They know what it is. We use more logic as they get older. We only spank for outright disobedience that is off the wall.

Holly

I use this method. Do not get hung up about the spanking part. It actually is not that bad. We rarely have to spank our kids. They know what it is. We use more logic as they get older. We only spank for outright disobedience that is off the wall.

Holly

They sure do advocate it quite a bit on their site, though. :confused:

I think if you used their method you actually wouldn't need to spank very much at all.

I found the website useful at one time (I only discovered it when my kids were older), especially "tomato staking" an older child on occasion. Good concept- far better than sending them off to their room to get moody and resentful and further separated from the family.

It is VERY possible to do similarly without hitting your kids. I believe in increased supervision, training, coaching, etc. I even have done things such as "blanket training" with infants. I definitely believe in quick, mostly cheerful compliance.

And I do all without ever using a time out chair, spanking, or anything of the sort.

I like to run a tight ship and think my children have benefited from it. I think most children like knowing where the boundaries are and that they'll be enforced. This is even more true for "tough" kiddos. But running a tight ship, having strict boundaries, following through does not have to include punishment and certainly not hitting, yelling, etc. In fact, I believe that those things take away from good discipline.

Generally though, even if you did it as "prescribed," you wouldn't end up hitting your kids all that often. The good discipline and especially consistency would make that just not happen much. Except for a really tough kiddo, it'd work just fine. If you have a really tough kiddo, I would definitely beef it up to the extent that you can drop the punishment altogether.

I find the approach adversarial.

There are practical, effective ways to raise children and cultivate a joyful home without the assumption of negative intent, the "at war" or "battle" mentality that is present in RGT approach, Rosemond, Dobson, etc.

Holly

:iagree:

I use this method a lot with my kids and it's very effective. I am anti spanking - and the RGT philosophy fits in very effectively with our family. We use other methods of discipline when needed vice spanking, and we have very obedient, respectful kids. I look at it more as a teaching and training program. The point is to mentor and train your kids to the correct behaviors and path, not discipline them onto it. It's about spending time and building relationships and having an atmosphere of 100% consistency from the parents. I think it's like drivers ed - they learn to drive and you sit alongside them coaching and helping. You're with them. You're engaged with them all the time. Too many kids are parented by the guard rails - they only get direction when they behave so badly that they need redirection. They confuse discipline with training. When I read RGT I felt the emphasis was on training not discipline. And, with all things, keep the fish but spit out the bones. You don't have to agree with all of it to learn something useful.

There are practical, effective ways to raise children and cultivate a joyful home without the assumption of negative intent, the "at war" or "battle" mentality that is present in RGT approach, Rosemond, Dobson, etc.

:iagree:

I do "tomato staking" with my kids, which to me, means keeping them with me when we are working on issues so that I can help them make better choices.

I'm not exactly anti-spanking, but until I started visiting this board, I had no idea there was another way to parent. Please excuse my naiveté. :) When I read their site, I thought it sounded good, and there is some good information there. However, when I tried their spanking techniques with my oldest, it was just awful. I think it terrified her into behaving, but I don't think it changed her heart at all - in fact I think it put more distance between us. It was not a good thing. Maybe I did it wrong; I don't know. What I do know is that it was not a good fit for us.

I did not see the mentality here as "at war" or "battle". Am I overlooking something. What I get from the very little reading that I did was that it is better to keep your children close to you so that you can kee them on a good path instead of letting them stray and then having to work har to get them back on track.

There are a couple of things I don't agree with like, as I said before, spanking and the fact that it is not considered important for them to have friends. It is only these two issues that I don't agree with.

I was just wondering how well it worked for those that use it. I can definately see how it works though.

I think that moms have been successfully doing a version of "tomato staking" for years and years (and other aspects of this method), they just didn't have a cutesie name for it. LOL

If you find a discipline and child-training method that is based on consistency and as little punishment vs. consequences as possible, it's probably a recipe for success. The hard part is that WE have to provide the consistency. Ugh. LOL ;)

The point is to mentor and train your kids to the correct behaviors and path, not discipline them onto it.

<snip>

They confuse discipline with training. When I read RGT I felt the emphasis was on training not discipline.

Okay, I am quibbling here and going off topic, but I have a quibble with using the word "discipline" as a substitute for "punishment". I see "discipline" as the entire package that you describe and "punishment" as one tool or approach in the spectrum of ways to raise up our children.

And now back to your regular programming:).

Okay, I am quibbling here and going off topic, but I have a quibble with using the word "discipline" as a substitute for "punishment". I see "discipline" as the entire package that you describe and "punishment" as one tool or approach in the spectrum of ways to raise up our children.

I was thinking the same thing. We discipline our dc by use of training, correction and punishment; those 3 things make up "discipline".