Menu

This Barbie is for the Birds!!!

I have done a pretty good job of avoiding the Barbie craze w/ my 5yodd. Even when my stepmother gave her a couple barbies, including Hooker Barbie, I let her keep the tame one and returned that one to pay for shipping all the cr....stuff they gave us back to TX from Ohio.

So I'm perusing Big Lots tonight by myself and sashay thru the toy aisle feeling like a cool mom scoping out toys for later purchases. I see the mermaid Barbie-knockoff, the typical fairy/ fantasy Barbies, and then THIS one.

Ya know, this is something I'd give my twisted-humor Marine Corps officer BROTHER, but not a 5yodd, lol!

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall at the planning/ idea meetings for this one......

the only thing missing is a missing eye and some gouge marks.

birds_barbie.gif

Hmmm, I sort of like it. For me, that is. Not for my girls. I just love The Birds. Even more, I would love to have one modeled on Grace Kelly from Rear Window; she was so, so beautiful. Or a Cary Grant one; my heart has never stopped pining for Cary. I love Hitchcock movies.

I just can't see how this would have gone over with young girls, though.

Janet

If you look at her link, it is not "hooker Barbie" it's a Top Model one.

Writing from a decidedly un-Barbie-free zone...

Right. "Hooker" is not describing its actual name, but its ultimate perception.

Yes- look at the Barbie in that link. If you line up that Barbie out of the labeled box w/ a buncha others and ask a hundred people to describe it, chances are they are NOT going to think "ooh- a model.":lol:

of course, "top models" and "hookers" aren't mutually exclusive these days.

and I agree that this was probably NOT marketed for young kids, but that's exactly where it is ending up. And they knew that would happen.

Ishki --YES! I can see this being an adult thing -- my brother and i used to joke that they need a Marie Antoinette Barbie that has a head that is velcro'd on w/ an accessory like a guillotine. But if it's put out by a toy company that makes similar toys marketed to children, and it LOOKs like a toy, and it's PLACED in the toy section, well...... quack.

My mom is not a Barbie collector, but she got one of these for herself. She set it in her office, and one day my 7 year old daughter asked if it was a present for her. I think it's kind of cool. On the corner of the package where it lists appropriate age it says 14+.

I have to wonder how many 14 year olds would even know what movie this is from. My kids all do, but they've been subjected to mom's old movies for years.

Janet

We're a Barbie-Free zone here.

May I ask, How do you manage to, um, politely notify well-meaning relatives (translation: aunts, grandmas) that you want to be a Barbie Free Zone? We have three little girls, and would REALLY like to avoid EVER getting a Barbie doll, for many reasons. So.... please tell us, how did you manage to achieve this envied status? :D

Okay, if I had been drinking my coffee at the moment of seeing that picture, I'd be cleaning my screen off right now. Thanks for the laugh! And yes, it's a collectors' edition. They have done Barbies for a variety of films. Just didn't picture them doing one for The Birds!

May I ask, How do you manage to, um, politely notify well-meaning relatives (translation: aunts, grandmas) that you want to be a Barbie Free Zone? We have three little girls, and would REALLY like to avoid EVER getting a Barbie doll, for many reasons. So.... please tell us, how did you manage to achieve this envied status? :D

Well, as a barbie free zone with well-meaning relatives who love dolls, I told them about groovy girls. As so far they've bought a couple of those, and no barbies. Now, if only I could get mickey mouse out of house...

what an awesome prank gift.

i was thinking it would make an EXCELLENT white elephant gift :D

and yeah, i know it's a collector's edition, but its placement next to the regular Barbies at 6yo-eye level was just too funny......

I agree w/ Hathersage's advice: notify them about what you DO want to help your girls collect: one family LOVES GeoTrax, so all family members had been pitching into get pieces of them and now they have a huge set. If you provide said helpful relatives w/ lots of pics and stories about how much dc LOVE what they got, they are likely to continue taking your advice :)

That doesn't work w/ frequently intoxicated stepmothers tho....:glare:

good luck :)