Menu

Book A Week in 2009 Week 11

Another week has just flown by and today marks the start of week 11 and the start of book # 12.

To recap the rules:

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to.

You may post your reviews, thoughts, reactions to the books you've read here or on the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Blog.

I finished Seven Storey Mountain and will probably write up a review this weekend and post on both my blog and the 52 Books Blog. It was interesting, but long.... I also finished Fireproof, but just haven't put the review up yet on the 52 books blog.

Tomorrow marks the first day of spring and Callapidder Day's is hosting her Spring Reading Thing again this year. Many, many bloggers sign up for it and there will be an abundance of books and reviews to choose from. It's a low pressure challenge in which you come up with a a goal of books to read and go for it. Basically the same as the 52 books challenge except for coming up with a list. My theme is first time author reads and my post will be up tomorrow. Which brings me to the first book I will be reading which applies to this challenge as well. My husband bought War and Peace for me for Christmas and I promised to read it. So that's my book for this week and probably for the next couple.

What are you all reading this week?

I finished the Mediterranean history by John Julian Norwich. It got a big wordy with names in some places, which combined with sleep deprivation made my eyes glaze over. I just wish I'd been able to keep a notepad next to me as I was reading to jot down all the kingdoms I'd never heard of. They made me want to make garb! Unfortunately it's hard to take notes while breastfeeding, so it didn't happen. Now I'm reading "Virgin's Tale" or something of that nature about a fallen Vestial Virgin. It's good but kind of depressing me.

Rosie

I couldn't get into the D'Souza book, so I read A Rulebook for Arguments by Anthony Weston instead. Right now, I'm rereading Homeschooling with a Meek & Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell. It's a good reminder this time of year.

I was considering making Rulebook for Arguments one of my books. Did you read it in one week? I know it isn't thick, but is it dense? Was it a good read? Do you think you'll use the information?

I love Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit. It really met a need for me and is probably the book I most often gift to friends.

I finished Innocent Blood by P.D. James after choosing it from the shelf as one that could go into the bathtub (i.e. I own it, it's not from the library). I knew I needed something lighter and cheerier with that dreadful epidemic afflicting every last person in the house and dh in the Philippines, but this book was the first one I found, and my window of opportunity for taking a hot bath was slipping away, so I grabbed it.

Honestly, I'm not so sure I can take anymore of the Baroness. She too often throws in something weird that just leaves me cold -- this time in the epilogue, no less. And the book had so many heavy themes. Isn't life hard enough without spending an entire book dealing with other people's unresolved childhood psychological issues? I haven't always felt this way about James, but this time I'm feeling like taking a hiatus from her, maybe permanently, and am considering spending the rest of the year on back-to-back P.G. Wodehouses (not really, but it is tempting).

I think I might be half a book behind because of that dreadful plague that hit everybody. I'm now halfway through The Einstein Syndrome: Bright Children Who Talk Late by Thomas Sowell (yes, same Thomas Sowell who is an economist and pundit). It's a great book if you are someone or know someone dealing with the conundrum of a kid like this. Oh how I wish we had had it 13 years ago when we wondered what was wrong with our now 16yo perfectly normal (and very bright) son!

I'm new here (after coming out of lurking), and this is a great post! I LOVE to read, so I'm always looking for new titles... what a fun way to see what others have in their pipelines!

I just finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (my quick, fun read), and now I'm reading A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille. I'm about 1/4 through it; it's been an interesting read so far.

Yes, it's dense, but I just did a quick elementary reading to see if I wanted to teach it next year as part of our logic studies for 8th grade. TWTM recommends that the student read A Rulebook for Arguments, outline it, and then find examples. However, I've decided to use The Argument Builder (recommeded by Karenciavo recently) instead. This is my first round in teaching logic as a subject, so I'm going with a program that is more teacher friendly.

I really like Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit too. I'm reading it with a couple of homeschooling friends and doing a study guide that we found online. I don't have the study guide yet, but I'm looking forward to delving into this book a little deeper.

1. Bel Canto

2. In Cold Blood

3. Joy in the Morning, Sister Carrie

4. Sense and Sensibility

5. Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads

6. Before and After You Get Your Puppy

7. Assassination Vacation

8. Larklight

9. The Virgin Blue

10. Q & A

11. The Book Thief, Innocent Traitor

Okay, The Book Thief was wonderful. I found myself often mentally saving some of the phrases to savor later. I listened to the audio version, but think I might need to buy a copy and go through it again on paper. Even though I knew perfectly well what was coming, I still wept when that bomb dropped . . .

I also very much enjoyed Innocent Traitor. I've read some of Weir's straigh-up history in the past, but I wasn't sure how she'd do in the fiction arena. Next time I can get to the bookstore, though, I think I'll pick up her Elizabeth novel, too.

Wow, I'm not a terribly critical reader this week, huh?

Finished book #14, "The Greatest Generation" by Tom Brokow - about WWII vets - an excellent book. I had planned to read the two sequels next, but realized we own the second sequel and I want to read the first sequel first! So I'm off to the library tomorrow to check it out. In the meantime, I have started "Quaker Summer" by Lisa Samson - a title and author I'd never heard of before. The cover and title caught my eye; the short back-cover description and the two short praise reviews on the inside front page roped me in! I'm about a quarter of the way through and enjoying it very much.

I finally finished Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. I really enjoyed it and am thoroughly impressed with how clearly he explains all the basics of science and that he brings the work and lives of scientists to life.

And because I needed a quick escapist read, I decided to try Janet Evanovich a second time. The first book in her Stephanie Plum series didn't grab me, but while reading this, the 12th book, I realized her characters have clearly developed and her writing has settled into a groove. I'm hooked. I'm happy to have found a new series!

Running list:

The Bell at Sealey Head

Alphabet of Thorn

Od Magic

In the Forests of Serre

Coffe, Tea, and Me

The Tower at Stony Wood

Music of the Dolphin

My Blue Castle

The Eye of the Heron

Fools Run

Learning to Bow

Mansfield Park

Fools Run is an old favourite, another McKillip.

Learning to Bow is new. I usually find the figuring-out-how-to-live-some-place-else books interesting. I didn't really learn anything new reading this, but it was amusing.

And with my husband in California and an abominably itchy rash all over my legs and my family of five reduced to only my 18yo and me, I really, really needed the comfort of Mansfield Park. It is my favourite Jane Austin novel. The meek triumph.

-Nan

book a week

I finally finished this week's book (which was quite a chore because I did not like it!) - I Am of Irelaunde: A Novel of Patrick and Osian by Julienne Osborne-McKnight. I'm disappointed because it had such positive reviews on Amazon, but the author's writing just wasn't my style and I didn't really care for the way she portrayed St. Patrick. The concept was an interesting one, I just felt it could've been done much better!

Twilight

New Moon

Eclipse

Breaking Dawn

Huckleberry Finn

Hound of the Baskervilles

Mysterious Affair at Styles

How to Read Literature Like a Professor

His Majesty's Dragon

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (almost finished)

beginning tomorrow: Treasure Island

I must say, I am not really enjoying 20,000 Leagues. It's interesting here and there but I'm unbelievably tired of the ongoing and unending paragraphs about sea life he sees and how they are categorized. It's definitely not the worst I've ever read but it's not going to hit any top favs anytime soon either.

I didn't realize I had never read the unabridged Treasure Island before and it came in the mail today. I'm excited to start on it. My sweetheart gave me the membership to the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written for Valentine's Day, so one of my included goals is to read each of these books every month as well.

Week 1: The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch

Week 2: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Week 3: The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch

Week 4: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

Week 5: The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

Week 6: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Week 7: Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie

Week 8: Paper Towns by John Green

Week 9: Eva Trout by Elizabeth Bowen

Week 10: Saville: David Storey

Week 11: The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald

Blessings

Zoraida

And because I needed a quick escapist read, I decided to try Janet Evanovich a second time. The first book in her Stephanie Plum series didn't grab me, but while reading this, the 12th book, I realized her characters have clearly developed and her writing has settled into a groove. I'm hooked. I'm happy to have found a new series!

Those are my favorite books that I hate admitting I enjoy, hide in my lingerie drawer, and am too embarrassed to read because I don't want them showing up on my booklist. LOL. Like the book police will come and get me or something. But if JennW in SoCal can read them, maybe I can pick them back up again.

I'm new here (after coming out of lurking), and this is a great post! I LOVE to read, so I'm always looking for new titles... what a fun way to see what others have in their pipelines!

I just finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult (my quick, fun read), and now I'm reading A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMille. I'm about 1/4 through it; it's been an interesting read so far.

Welcome! I'm glad you came out of lurking!

UM, last week's book was a bust ("What I did For Love" by Susan Elizabeth Phillips), I won't be finishing it :ack2:. So, now I'm a little behind again. But that's OK! This week is Spring Break :) I have no idea what I'm going to read, but I'll let you know what I read (past tense) next week :D.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I am reading Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers (thanks for the rec Laura!). I like it so far.

I am looking forward to starting A Singular Hostage by Thalassa Ali next. My librarian ordered the other two books in this trilogy because I requested them. I LOVE my librarian!!

Running list:

The Bell at Sealey Head

Alphabet of Thorn

Od Magic

In the Forests of Serre

Coffe, Tea, and Me

The Tower at Stony Wood

Music of the Dolphin

My Blue Castle

The Eye of the Heron

Fools Run

Learning to Bow

Mansfield Park

What Shamu Taught Me About Love and Marriage

Shamu isn't the sort of book I usually read, since I don't think anything I could do to marriage would improve it, it being wonderful already, and I wouldn't presume to train my husband except at my husband's request. He can train himself. And he does. But anyway, since I've learned almost all my life-lessons from animals, I was intrigued by this title. Most of the self-help books I've seen were a magazine article expanded into a book and weren't helpful. This book is literally an article expanded into a book, but the topic is so large (animal training) that it could and does fill books and books. To my surprise, the book has quite a lot of useful content. Yes, I knew all this already; my parents did a stellar job of parenting and teaching us to parent. Yes, I was surprised by how dumb the author was about people and herself. But it was still useful to see it all in one place, not useful for my marriage, but useful for homeschooling, which is also animal training, people being a kind of animal. This doesn't say anything that any book on teaching wouldn't, but LOL I guess what it boils down to is that if you use animals as the examples, I will find it interesting enough to read, but if you use classrooms, my eyes will glaze over very quickly. I'd rather read about camels learning not to throw temper tantrums and whales learning to weigh themselves and primates learning to skateboard than kindergarteners learning to read and high schoolers learning math. I am going to read Kicked, Scratched, and Bitten next, I think.

-Nan

The Templars

End of America

Kluge

Spook

Panic in Level 4

Killing the Imposter God

Journeys to a Mythical Past

Do Gentlemen Really prefer Blonds?

More Harm than Good.

I couldn't really stomach When Men Become Gods so now I am in the middle of The Score.

In the que: Secret Societies and then the Twilight series :glare: I have really been resisting this but we saw the movie and I had to buy the rest of the series for one dd so now I guess I am going to read it. After that: The Book of Hiram. Finally, I have a huge pile of preparedness books to plow through.

I've been lurking around, this looks like a great thread! I love to read, but it looks like I'll be catching up a little. I've read:

1. The Maccabees:Forgotten Heroes of Israel

2. An Introduction to the Apocrypha

3. Brisingr

4. The Dark Frigate

5. Conquistador:Hernan Cortes,Montezuma, and the Last Stand of the Aztecs

6. Well Trained Mind

7. Giants: The Parallel Lives of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass

I'm trying to get to Candide and Other Stories by Voltaire, The Oxford Illustrated History of the Bible, and Are Your Standards Fences or Guardrails?.

I've seen some wonderful ideas here. Thanks for the links.

I finally reviewed The Seven Storey Mountain and posted it on the 52 Books blog. I'm on page 493 of War and Peace and surprisingly enough, enjoying the book. I just might finished it by the end of the week. Watch me eat my words in a few days. :)

1. Nine Days a Queen

2. Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist

3. Driving Over Lemons

4. Father Arseny: A Cloud of Witnesses

5. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future

6. Grandma's Wartime Kitchen: World War II and the way we cooked

7. Vanity Fair

8. Spiritual Counsels of Father John of Kronstadt

9. Les Miserables

10. Macy's, Gimbels and Me by Bernice Fitz-Gibbon

11. The Middle Ages by Morris Bishop

12. The Scarlet Letter

13. Our Hearts' True Home, Virginia Nieuwsma, ed.

14. Introducing the Orthodox Church by Anthony M. Coniaris

15. Model Behavior by Jay McInerny - I picked it up at the thrift store because I was looking for a "light" read and I had no idea what it was about - anyway it was a bit weird as it had several references to Natasha Richardson in it - kind of eerie

16. Readings in Christianity, compiled by Robert E. Van Voorst (reading now)

17. Married to a Catholic Priest by Mary Vincent Dally (reading now)

Also, welcome JenL and Loupelou! Hope you keep posting with us!

After reading To Say Nothing of the Dog (Connie Willis), I just HAD to read Three Men in a Boat (Jerome K. Jerome). It was even better than I expected! Both books are now high on my list of all-time favorites.

I've also just about finished re-reading Emma (Jane Austen), for probably the fourth time. Sigh.

Wendi

Ah - that kind of preparedness. What about Stoke's Animal Tracking and something on herbal medicine and that survival guide by Tom Brown and what about a NOHLs course on backwoods medicine or the book (which I vaguely remember to be about 4" thick). We took a course when we were winter camping (before we had children) that talked about hypothermia and igloos and other useful things. Hopefully I'll never need the information, but I have to admit that it is rather comforting to know a little about such things...

Thanks for the welcomes!!! I'm glad to be here! I went back and made a short list; hopefully, I can somewhat catch up as the weeks progress...

1. Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife - Bodell

2. Creative Correction - Lisa Welchel

3. Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult

4. A Thomas Jefferson Education - Oliver Van DeMille

I just began Darcy's Passions by Regina Jeffers. It's Pride & Prejudice told from Mr. Darcy's eyes... good so far. I love P&P and this is my new "obsession" right now... I've already done the Twilight one :D