Menu

Anyone in Monterey, CA or been there?

I am going to be visiting this year and wanted to know if there is any places I have to see or restaurants you must eat at while I am there? Anything for the kids that they would miss out if we didn't go? Doesn't have to be in Monterey it can be close by too.

Not sure about ALL of the touristy and/or educational things, but I think of a few things that might be fun....

The Monterey Aquarium is fun, but pricey like any aquarium. See if you can get some discounted passes at a local library. In addition to the usual aquarium sights, they have a pretty decent little-kid's area with touch pool and play area called the Splash Zone:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/splash.aspx

One thing I always wanted to try while we were there but never did (b/c I always had an infant to deal with - I think kiddo must be at least 2yo to ride), is this:

http://www.baybikes.com/rentals/index.html

Check out the "large surrey" bike. It's like a golf-cart size, and everyone (or just mom and dad!) pedal it. There is a paved bike/jogging path that runs along the coast, so you ride along, get some exercise, see the scenery, stop for lunch, etc. Looks like fun to me! You can call them to find out where to go, but you have to just show up at the path, where they keep the bikes and rent one on the spot.

And also this - sea kayaking in along the bay:

http://www.adventuresbythesea.com/

Never did it, but always wanted to try!

We used to go swimming at the Monterey Sports Center in the middle of town. It's a HUGE indoor pool that has a waterslide in the middle of it (the older kids loved it), and a very large "therapy pool" which is used by the little kids and moms (it's heated warmer than the pool, but not as warm as the hot tub. I enjoyed it!). Check out the web site and pics:

http://www.monterey.org/sportscenter/images/features/poolsidelrg.jpg

Tourists usually like the 17-mile drive. It wiggles along some very scenic coast, and in through the Pebble Beach golf course. Might be worth a few minutes of time. I remember we used to stop along the way and let the kids wander on the beaches.

There is a town just north of Monterey called Seaside. For some reason, the way it is positioned on the bay, it is almost always quite breezy or even downright windy there. There are some dunes along the highway/ocean when people do some hang-gliding. Lots of people go there to the public beach to fly kites. Might be fun to check out. Seaside also has the local Costco, which is where we shopped and went to lunch for our hot dogs and pizza! ;-p I honestly don't remember which beach name it was that we went to, but I know it was the one near the Costco! Here's a list of beaches

http://www.monterey.com/mc3/mc3a2.html

A great SHELTERED beach (little cove, not lots of waves or wind - great for little ones) is at Lover's Point in Pacific Grove. Lots of families there.

We used to go to Dennis the Menace Park from time to time. Pretty big playground with equipment for all ages. Also, there's a skateboard ramp park right next door for the older kiddo. At the pond adjoining they rent those little paddle boats. See #15 on this map:

http://www.monterey.org/parks/parklocatormaplrg.html

There's always Fisherman's Wharf for food and sights. Just to walk along, watch the otters, hear the sea lions, etc. A little touristy, but nice.

I hear there's tons to see on the southern side - Carmel, and further south, Big Sur. I just don't know those areas very well. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion for them.

Good luck and have fun! Are you visiting family/friends? Just a vacation? Business trip?

After the aquarium go to the Dennis the Menace park. You will see it on the way to the aquarium. It is the park next to the lake with all the geese. It is a really fun park with an actual, old steam locomotive that the kids can play on & explore.

If you park in the parking garage for the aquarium and walk straight down to cannery row, you will find a small plaza called "Steinbeck Plaza," at least that is what it used to be called. This is the best place to sit & eat lunch. There is live music almost every weekend and from the plaza there is beach access to a nice stretch of beach with easy to reach tidepools if you are willing to cliimb out on the rocks. The wax museum is at the plaza and it is fun, as well as the Ghirardeli Chocolate outlet. They are always giving out samples.

If you leave the aquarium from the front doors, go up the little hill and turn to the right (away from the parking) and take a walk along the top of the beach cliffs. You can almost always see the seals down on the beach. There are benches along the way to sit & snuggle.

If you & your family want to take a "bike" tour of Monterey, you can rent these "family bike" things. It is like a buggy that you pedal.

If your kids don't mind being in the car there is the famous 17 mile drive that has some of the most beautiful scenery in the country (IMHO.)

We love Monterey. Because we are here in San Jose we go about every other month. It is a really nice ride on the Harley, but that may not be the outing you are looking for.

Now I have to go talk DH into going to Monterey next week!

Amber in SJ

PS If you are going to eat outside do not feed the gray seagulls; particularly the ones that look (as my daughter puts it) like they have been through the dishwasher. They can get aggressive.

Not sure about ALL of the touristy and/or educational things, but I think of a few things that might be fun....

The Monterey Aquarium is fun, but pricey like any aquarium. See if you can get some discounted passes at a local library. In addition to the usual aquarium sights, they have a pretty decent little-kid's area with touch pool and play area called the Splash Zone:

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/splash.aspx

One thing I always wanted to try while we were there but never did (b/c I always had an infant to deal with - I think kiddo must be at least 2yo to ride), is this:

http://www.baybikes.com/rentals/index.html

Check out the "large surrey" bike. It's like a golf-cart size, and everyone (or just mom and dad!) pedal it. There is a paved bike/jogging path that runs along the coast, so you ride along, get some exercise, see the scenery, stop for lunch, etc. Looks like fun to me! You can call them to find out where to go, but you have to just show up at the path, where they keep the bikes and rent one on the spot.

And also this - sea kayaking in along the bay:

http://www.adventuresbythesea.com/

Never did it, but always wanted to try!

We used to go swimming at the Monterey Sports Center in the middle of town. It's a HUGE indoor pool that has a waterslide in the middle of it (the older kids loved it), and a very large "therapy pool" which is used by the little kids and moms (it's heated warmer than the pool, but not as warm as the hot tub. I enjoyed it!). Check out the web site and pics:

http://www.monterey.org/sportscenter/images/features/poolsidelrg.jpg

Tourists usually like the 17-mile drive. It wiggles along some very scenic coast, and in through the Pebble Beach golf course. Might be worth a few minutes of time. I remember we used to stop along the way and let the kids wander on the beaches.

There is a town just north of Monterey called Seaside. For some reason, the way it is positioned on the bay, it is almost always quite breezy or even downright windy there. There are some dunes along the highway/ocean when people do some hang-gliding. Lots of people go there to the public beach to fly kites. Might be fun to check out. Seaside also has the local Costco, which is where we shopped and went to lunch for our hot dogs and pizza! ;-p I honestly don't remember which beach name it was that we went to, but I know it was the one near the Costco! Here's a list of beaches

http://www.monterey.com/mc3/mc3a2.html

A great SHELTERED beach (little cove, not lots of waves or wind - great for little ones) is at Lover's Point in Pacific Grove. Lots of families there.

We used to go to Dennis the Menace Park from time to time. Pretty big playground with equipment for all ages. Also, there's a skateboard ramp park right next door for the older kiddo. At the pond adjoining they rent those little paddle boats. See #15 on this map:

http://www.monterey.org/parks/parklocatormaplrg.html

There's always Fisherman's Wharf for food and sights. Just to walk along, watch the otters, hear the sea lions, etc. A little touristy, but nice.

I hear there's tons to see on the southern side - Carmel, and further south, Big Sur. I just don't know those areas very well. Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion for them.

Good luck and have fun! Are you visiting family/friends? Just a vacation? Business trip?

My BIL is in the air force and stationed in Seaside so that is the actual place we are going but it is very close to Monterey. They haven't been there long so that is why I wanted to ask on here for things to do. We are going to the aquarium and now to Dennis the Menace park :). We are also going to Big Sur and I think I will talk to them about going to Carmel that sounds nice. We are also taking a long drive and going to the Sequoia Forest one day but I don't want to go that far on any other days. Have any of you been to the Forest?

I love Monterey :-)

I always eat at Bubba Gump's, which is just down the street from the aquarium. Sometimes I go around the corner up the street to Petra Restaurant...nice Greek food, good prices. There's also an antique store further down, but probably your family wouldn't find shopping for antiques to be much fun.:D

Edited by Ellie

Carmel is a must. The beaches are striking, the town is small and walking friendly.

On the south side of Carmel is the Mission Ranch (owned by Clint Eastwood, who actually shows up there sometimes) that was a former Dairy Ranch and is now a resort and restaurant complex, but very low key and upscale-rustic. There is a pasture with sheep looking out to the ocean and beautiful Pt Lobos beyond. Great place to stop for a refreshment in the late afternoon. The Carmel Mission is 100 feet away.

Pt Lobos State Park, south of Carmel but before Big Sur is really beautiful. Every curve and cove of this park has a drastically different and stunning look.

Big Sur.

I know the area well any thing special your looking for? Cheese?

Bill

North of Seaside is Santa Cruz. Another great town. And there are lovely mountain villages with redwoods just north of Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz has a beach-boardwalk (roller-coaster etc) if the kids would like that.

If by any chance you end up in Santa Cruz (about 50 mi north), please eat at the "Asian Rose" for me!! It was my favorite restaurant and I miss is so much! It is a vegetarian asian-I-don't-know-what hole in the wall, but soooo delicious! You go through the buffet line like any other quick Asian restaurant, but the flavors are amazing!

My DH used to work in Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley, so we'd meet for lunch there on occasion.

:-)

Winchester Mystery House

I don't know what your course is, but a few years ago we went up to Monterey and stopped at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose. We stayed the night and then headed up to Monterey. We thought it was really neat.

We like the Long Beach aquarium more than we liked the Monterey one, but it's definitely worth going to.

Have fun; enjoy the weather!

We lived in San Jose for 16 years and never went to the Winchester Mystery House, lol.

The kewl thing about the Monterey Bay Aquarium (which is, BTW, *down* from San Jose:D ) is that it was used for several scenes in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Of course, you know how Hollywood does things: I was so excited when we learned we'd be moving to San Jose because then I could go to the Sausilito Cetacean Institute and was devastated to learn that there was no such place.:confused: And then thrilled to find out that it was actually the MBA. We went there on a field trip with some other hsers, and I'm afraid I embarrassed my dc with my comments about "This is where Spock swam with the whales and did the Vulcan mind meld with Gracie!":lol:

We vacation in Santa Cruz every year. The aquarium in Mont. is great, but it is pricey! Just drive out on the peninsula to Asilomar, it's gorgeous, there are tide pools. It's just gorgeous. You can take a boat tour out on the Bay from Fisherman's Warf. That's always fun. Gotta get the clam chowder and sour dough bowl, fried calamari. If you want to drive toward Santa Cruz, there's the Roaring Camp Railroad up in the mountains near Felton. Last year we hiked around Big Basin, which has a lot of redwoods, etc. That's in the same general area. Capitola (near Santa Cruz) is a darling little beach town with a yummy Mexican restauarant close to the beach (forgot the name, but I could tell you have to get there, lol) Oh, and there's a good fish restaurant out on the pier in Capitola, too. Lots of fun things to do in that area!

(which is, BTW, *down* from San Jose:D )

Ha! This is why dh does the driving! I guess we went to the top first and then headed back down south towards our home. :)

If by any chance you end up in Santa Cruz (about 50 mi north), please eat at the "Asian Rose" for me!! It was my favorite restaurant and I miss is so much! It is a vegetarian asian-I-don't-know-what hole in the wall, but soooo delicious! You go through the buffet line like any other quick Asian restaurant, but the flavors are amazing!

My DH used to work in Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley, so we'd meet for lunch there on occasion.

:-)

Ahh, the Asian Rose is no more! That little area of the downtown strip has been torn down. The Asian Rose did basically merge with another restaurant-Malabar (a sit-down restaurant.) Malabar is amazing too, just not quite the same!

There is a darling little town called Cambria nearby. We never pass it by when we visit Monterey. My kids like Bubba Gump Shrimp in Monterey. They are big fans of Forrest Gump.:)

I don't know where you are coming from or how you plan to travel, but driving to Monterey is half the experience.

enjoy!

There is a darling little town called Cambria nearby. We never pass it by when we visit Monterey. My kids like Bubba Gump Shrimp in Monterey. They are big fans of Forrest Gump.:)

I don't know where you are coming from or how you plan to travel, but driving to Monterey is half the experience.

enjoy!

We are flying in from the east coast. First time flying..sooo nervous. :) I think Bubba Gump sounds like a place we are going to go.