Menu

What can you tell me about SHINGLES?

I don't really even want to type out this question, because merely putting it in writing freaks me out. But, I've already broken the spell by emailing my brother, who had shingles in recent past (maybe 3 years ago?), at the "younger than typical" age of 44, or something. I remember thinking, at the time, that I thought only old people got shingles. Apparently not. So, I'm waiting to hear from him.

For the past couple days, I've had this overly sensitive skin feeling going on. Now, it seems that it's localized a bit and is mostly evident in a wide band across my back. There are no bumps. But, I have a sensation that feels a little like sunburn on my back. And...well...I just Googled symptoms for shingles and...

Okay, just tell me I'm crazy and that others of you who've had the flu have also had this creepy feeling of ultra-sensitive skin. :confused:

Doran

Here's how mine started:

I flew from CT to Atlanta for a weekend to attend the American Kennel Club Parent Club Conference. LOTS of meetings, LOTS of talking, LOTS of sitting on straight chairs in a big lecture hall. On the shuttle from the airport to the hotel (about an hour long ride) I started to feel a weird burning sensation on my back, right side, about bra-height, and extending under my right arm to the side of my breast, around the right breast and up my breastbone between "the girls." Along with that, I had a REALLY sore muscle along the right side of my back, just to the right of the spine. Of course, I chalked it up to lugging my suitcase, carry-on and laptop through the busy airports, and sitting for two hours in an uncomfortable airline seat. Didn't think much of it; too anxious to get to the conference, etc.

I checked into my room, laid down on the bed, and noticed that the skin that HAD been burning was now kind of numb. Even when I touched it, it was weirdly numb, as if I'd had a big dose of novicaine. And now that muscle was excruciatingly painful. WEIRD, but again, I was too busy to deal with it, so I popped some advil and went down to happy hour. Weekend was painful, advil didn't help at all, and I was never so glad to get on a plane toward HOME.

Two days later, it was still numb, and I had what I thought were two ingrown hairs or "zits" under my arm, in the midst of the big wide numb patch. Flew home, whined to my mom (retired nurse) who said, "I think youv'e got shingles!" I called the dr. and went in, but it was too late to get any kind of prescription, so I had to tough it out. The pain went away after a couple of weeks but the numbness hung on for a couple of months. Occasionally, I still get a couple of days of the weird numbness, but I guess that's par for the course. Sometimes happens. What I learned was that more and more young people are getting shingles. I asked about my age, and the dr. said that age didn't have much to do with it anymore.

Just my experience......I hope it's NOT shingles for you, but if it is, I hope you find relief soon!

All Best,

Molly's mom

I don't really even want to type out this question, because merely putting it in writing freaks me out. But, I've already broken the spell by emailing my brother, who had shingles in recent past (maybe 3 years ago?), at the "younger than typical" age of 44, or something. I remember thinking, at the time, that I thought only old people got shingles. Apparently not. So, I'm waiting to hear from him.

For the past couple days, I've had this overly sensitive skin feeling going on. Now, it seems that it's localized a bit and is mostly evident in a wide band across my back. There are no bumps. But, I have a sensation that feels a little like sunburn on my back. And...well...I just Googled symptoms for shingles and...

Okay, just tell me I'm crazy and that others of you who've had the flu have also had this creepy feeling of ultra-sensitive skin. :confused:

Doran

Sounds like shingles to me. Sorry. Maybe you'll have a mild case.

My son had them when he was 9 -- you can get them at any age. I had them in my early 30's, but I just had the pain -- no lesions. I'm 50, and just am just getting over my second bout with them. On my face this time.

I started having a similar problem several years ago. I've never managed to remember to speak to my dermatologist about it, as I've never been close to an outbreak when I've seen him. I would get bands of this pain around my waist, upper thigh, knee area, upper arm, etc. Sometimes you could just barely make out a tiny, faint red rash. But it never developed into the blistering of Shingles. And I'm also younger than the normal age of occurrence.

I tend to think that this is an autoimmune disorder related to Shingles. Mine was always brought on by stress. The biggest problem with it is the exquisite painfulness that even soft clothing produces. I found a cream by Derma E - tea tree and E, which worked well to quickly dissipate the occurrence. Now, it does hurt to put it on, as it's in a cold cream like form and the cold touching the skin is very painful. But this stopped as soon as I rubbed it in. I found that application in the morning lasted about 12 hours, until bedtime, then I could apply again before bed and sleep well. I only generally had to do about 3-4 applications and the cycle was broken.

I haven't had any problems with it this school year. Hope you find some relief, too,

Regena

Ds got this at age nine. Our next door neighbour was a dermatolgist and didn't even realise until she went away and looked at her 'sore book' (as her 5 year old calls it!). It is pretty rare at this age and she had never seen it in someone so young.

She diagnosed it based on the fact that the rash followed the nerves round ds's shoulders etc in a line (I can't recall exactly where). Because he was so young, he really wasn't too unwell with it.

I had to go to a baby shower this past week, unfortunately, and spent the better (?) part of the evening cornered with two older women who regaled me at length with their health woes ~ including stories of shingles. I'm telling you, I'm an EXPERT on the subject now.:rolleyes:

Suffice it to say, I don't wanna get shingles ~ and I'm sorry if you're on that path.:(

A friend of mine has shingles. She gets flare ups every now and then. She doesn't use conventional meds. She uses alternative methods. sorry I can't help you on this one because I do not remember what she told me she used. It was some kind of oil she put on her skin. She thought it smelled bad so she had me smell it. I told her it smelled really fresh and minty to me not bad at all.

She said it helped. Perhaps do a seach on it...

Hope this helps some

Holly

When I had shingles the isolated pain and itching began before the pumps appeared. I was 26, had a new baby and it was on my back. When the pain began it did not even occur to me that it could be shingles. Unfortunately, my baby's hand rest on the spot while he nursed. He developed chicken pox (this is before the chicken pox vaccine) and then my dd, who was 2 at the time, caught the virus. The mommy guilt was much worse than the pain of shingles!

When I had shingles the isolated pain and itching began before the pumps appeared.

I think the pattern is that the burning/itching/painful sensation starts first, then several days later, the bumps and lesions may appear. It's hard to know, at this point, whether I'm just making things up. Or, even if I'm not, if there is anything I could DO about it right now. Of course my GP isn't in the office on Satudays, and he's not affiliated with our hospital (long insurance related mess), so I can't page him. I just don't know if I should be acting in some particular way. And, I also don't want to be acting like a hypchondriac.

Doran

I think the pattern is that the burning/itching/painful sensation starts first, then several days later, the bumps and lesions may appear. It's hard to know, at this point, whether I'm just making things up. Or, even if I'm not, if there is anything I could DO about it right now. Of course my GP isn't in the office on Satudays, and he's not affiliated with our hospital (long insurance related mess), so I can't page him. I just don't know if I should be acting in some particular way. And, I also don't want to be acting like a hypchondriac.

Doran

It's my understanding that you have a chance to lessen the severity and duration of the attack if you are treated within the first couple of days of the symptoms appearing. After that, treatment isn't nearly as effective. I missed that early window because I didn't realize that I had shingles -- I had never heard of it occurring on the face (though now I know that it's very common). I also learned that shingles on the face can cause serious damage to the eye on the affected side, so seeing a doctor early is very critical in that situation (again, I learned that too late -- though my eyes are fine, thank goodness).

Though the pain and itching were troublesome enough, what really drove me mad was the third sensation that is common to shingles -- described as "tingling". For me it was more like "tickling" -- felt like something crawling under my skin.

It's my understanding that you have a chance to lessen the severity and duration of the attack if you are treated within the first couple of days of the symptoms appearing. After that, treatment isn't nearly as effective.

Treated with what -- do you know?

(BTW, my brother's was on his face as well.)

Doran

It's my understanding that you have a chance to lessen the severity and duration of the attack if you are treated within the first couple of days of the symptoms appearing. After that, treatment isn't nearly as effective.

I also learned that shingles on the face can cause serious damage to the eye on the affected side, so seeing a doctor early is very critical in that situation

My 40 yo brother had shingles last year. He said the same thing... early diagnosis & treatment is very important. He had it on the face & head and it could have permanently affected his hearing and sight if he'd waited "for it to go away," as he planned to do. Fortunately, his wife is a very type A, get-it-done person & she drove him to the MD. :)

After my brother's experience, I'd definitely see an MD asap if I thought I might have shingles.

Treated with what -- do you know?

(BTW, my brother's was on his face as well.)

Doran

Here's an answer from the NIH:

"The severity and duration of an attack of shingles can be significantly reduced by immediate treatment with antiviral drugs, which include acyclovir, valcyclovir, or famcyclovir. Antiviral drugs may also help stave off the painful after-effects of shingles known as postherpetic neuralgia. Other treatments for postherpetic neuralgia include steroids, antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and topical agents."

My 40 yo brother had shingles last year. He said the same thing... early diagnosis & treatment is very important. He had it on the face & head and it could have permanently affected his hearing and sight if he'd waited "for it to go away," as he planned to do. Fortunately, his wife is a very type A, get-it-done person & she drove him to the MD. :)

After my brother's experience, I'd definitely see an MD asap if I thought I might have shingles.

Yeah -- I forgot about the ear thing. During the worst of it, I also had an ear ache.

Acyclovir or the equivalent. Go quick, and I'd go on a weekend even if it meant more $$. Don't mess with this stuff. Think "writhing in agony." :(
Absolutely. And the pain can persist for years (or forever) beyond the outbreak. Being treated during the outbreak can help prevent that problem. Do as I say -- not as I do.:)

I'm sitting here sweating with anxiety and embarassment. How bizarre.

My GP does not have hospital affiliations here, so my only recourse is to speak to the doctor on call at the hospital. No idea who that might have been, or what recommendation s/he might've made. So, instead, I called a man I happen to know, who is a doctor in town. I described my situation to him and told him that I just wanted feedback and did not want to put him in an awkward situation. Wonderfully helpful person that he is, he's phoned in an rx. for an antiviral to a local pharmacy. Well, local, except I have to now drive 30 minute round trip to go get it. But, I will. I'll get it. And, I'll take it. And, I'll feel weird about it wondering if I'm jumping the gun and maybe I should wait, and what if it's all in my head, or just more of the same "itchy body syndrome" that I've dealt with for so many winters, and I am so not in the swallow pills on a hunch camp. Good grief. Why is this so hard?

Doran

My GP does not have hospital affiliations here, so my only recourse is to speak to the doctor on call at the hospital. No idea who that might have been, or what recommendation s/he might've made. So, instead, I called a man I happen to know, who is a doctor in town. I described my situation to him and told him that I just wanted feedback and did not want to put him in an awkward situation. Wonderfully helpful person that he is, he's phoned in an rx. for an antiviral to a local pharmacy. Well, local, except I have to now drive 30 minute round trip to go get it. But, I will. I'll get it. And, I'll take it. And, I'll feel weird about it wondering if I'm jumping the gun and maybe I should wait, and what if it's all in my head, or just more of the same "itchy body syndrome" that I've dealt with for so many winters, and I am so not in the swallow pills on a hunch camp. Good grief. Why is this so hard?

Doran

And don't forget the final thing that makes it so hard -- if you do have shingles, and you are treating it in time to keep it from getting much worse, you may never know for sure that it WAS shingles.

Why is this so hard?

I think it's hard because you're not accustomed to making quick decisions, and anything that doesn't offer a two-week lead time of "should I/shouldn't I" wrangling makes you uncomfortable. Even though the wrangling itself makes you uncomfortable. confused002.gif

But you did absolutely the right thing. Shingles can be crippling.

This whole thing is so completely outside what I'd consider "normal" for me, and there are some real angels at work, I'm telling you. First off, you people, giving me such good feedback, and encouraging me to act outside my realm of comfort on this.

Acting this quickly by even calling a doctor and then immediately filling an rx, based solely on a "sensation" in my body? Yes, Pam, you're right. I'm much more used to long, drawn out sessions of weighing pros and cons. Snap decisions aren't my m.o. Add to that the fact that we're talking about pharmaceuticals here! Ye Gods! Still, the voice in my head that whispered "Shingles" in the first place -- I consider that a gift. That is intuition if ever I have it. So, I'm listening, baby, I'm listening. And you guys were the Mormon Tabernacle Choir to back up that inner song.

Next, the fact that I reached this doctor friend, and he was willing and able to phone in the rx. even though I'm not his patient. Gift number three.

So, I get to the pharmacy, a place I've never used before, and the girl is having trouble getting the system to take the info. from my insurance card. When I tell her that it won't even matter because our deductible is so high we'll be paying for it out of pocket, she explains that one of the meds (one of??) is really expensive, so it might be good to just put it through the insurance. "Maybe they'll reduce it a little bit for you," she says. I ask, naively, how much it costs. I have to scoop my jaw off the countertop and apologize for my expletive ("Holy ****"), when she tells me it's $326 dollars!!!!

I ask if there isn't a less expensive alternative, and I talk to the pharmacist about the fact that the alternative is an older drug and may not be as effective, and anyway, my doctor will have to phone in any changes. Hoo boy! I borrow a phone book, suck up my pride, pull out my cell phone (which, btw, still feels new to me b/c we just got them at Christmastime), and phone my doctor friend at home a second time. We talk about the steroid pack (the second med) and why he's ordered that as well, and how it's not really so expensive, only around $20.00.

"That's fine", I say. "But, yes, the anti-viral that costs $150.00 is so much better for me than the $300 one. Thank you so much. I'm really sorry to trouble you a second time."

I go back to the pharmacy counter, and I wait. And wait.

Finally, the pharmacist completes the order and hands the bag to the assistant, and I hear him say to her, "That should make her happy."

She rings up my purchase and tells me, "It's $25.81."

"Um. Excuse me?"

"Your total is $25.81."

Now, I'm scooping my jaw off the counter for a second time.

I have no idea what sort of miracle worker stepped in there. The good doctor, I presume. Seeing as how today is my 17th anniversary, I'm feeling like someone just gave me a huge anniversary gift. It also feels like an affirmation for doing this at all.

My goodness.

Doran

Did you remember to explain to your doctor friend about the hive mind?;)

Um. No. I did not. I already felt as if I was hanging out there on the end of a very fragile limb. Had I also begun to wax poetic about hives, and bees, and women who I know only virtually. Well...let's just say, I was too afraid to push my wax. :D

But, you do know that I'm eternally grateful...don't you? Dont you!?

Doranzzzzzz