The Trumpet of The Swan

Stuart Little

all the Pippi Longstocking books

The Penderwicks

The Tale of Despereaux

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Strawberry Girl

The Wheel on The School

My ds has just started really enjoying listening to longer books, although he endured it before. His favorite so far is:

Kenny and The Dragon

Can you think of any books we haven't read yet that we might enjoy? We're kind of burnt out on Roald Dahl, although I know he has a few more that we haven't read. I'm saving the sequel to The Penderwicks until dd is a little older. Ds loves The Spiderwick Chronicles, so anything in a similar vein might work well.

Thanks!

A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken

A Cricket in Times Square by George Seldon

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald

These are all well loved at our house.

We really loved reading The Chronicles of Narnia with our two boys (7 and 5). We have the big illustrated single volume that starts with The Magician's Nephew. We read them over this past summer and alternated the audio for reading aloud so we could listen on long drives. It was great. The Hobbit was great by the fire. They both enjoy longer books. We needed a break from goblins and dragons so we're reading Farmer Boy - both of them love it. Rabbit Hill was a big hit as well.

Gand ~ I love your book list -- I'm keeping it!

You absolutely have to read the Little House on the Prairie books aloud. They start with Little House in the Big Woods, then Little House on the Prairie etc. etc.

The only book in the series that didn't interest my almost six year olds was Farmer Boy (about Laura's husband with no Laura in it).

I plan on re reading this series to them when they're 9 or 10. It's crammed with awesome vocabulary, introductions to many aspects of life (like spelling B's, the importance of studying, importance of respecting your "Ma") et.

I can't rave enough about the experience we've had. My boys BEG -- BEG! -- for me to "read one more chapter!"

Alicia

Gand ~ I love your book list -- I'm keeping it!

You absolutely have to read the Little House on the Prairie books aloud. They start with Little House in the Big Woods, then Little House on the Prairie etc. etc.

The only book in the series that didn't interest my almost six year olds was Farmer Boy (about Laura's husband with no Laura in it).

I plan on re reading this series to them when they're 9 or 10. It's crammed with awesome vocabulary, introductions to many aspects of life (like spelling B's, the importance of studying, importance of respecting your "Ma") et.

I can't rave enough about the experience we've had. My boys BEG -- BEG! -- for me to "read one more chapter!"

Alicia

Alicia,

I'm glad you liked my list! The funny thing is that I thought I was being very complete when I typed it, but several of the suggestions are books that we have read that I had forgotten about! We read a few books in The Little House series, but dd didn't quite connect with them in the way I thought she would. I loved them as a child. My mom bought her the complete set. She loved The Little House picture books that we found at our library and enjoyed the few books that we read, but she asked to move on to something else. Everyone's different, I guess! Thanks for the input, though.

If she enjoyed the Pippi Longstocking books she might also enjoy other Astrid Lindgren books. Try

The Children of Noisy Village and Happy Times in Noisy Village

Karlsson on the Roof

Ronia the Robbers Daughter

Emil and the Great Escape

Mio, My Son and Brothers Lionheart are very sad so if she is easily upset I would be a bit vary of them. I find them difficult if beautiful as an adult. Brothers Lionheart deals with what happens when someone dies. They go to another world and this might conflict with your world view. It is something to be aware of.

I grew up reading all of these books and they are lovelly.

Guest Katia

Any of the Melendy books by Elizabeth Enright:

The Saturdays

The Four Story Mistake

And Then There Were Five

Spiderweb for Two

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

Mary Poppins

Peter Pan

The Green Knowe series by Lucy Boston, especially The Children of Green Knowe and Treasure of Green Knowe.

The Sword in the Stone

The Princess and the Goblin

The Incredible Journey

Pippi Longstocking

The Racketty-Packetty House

Lassie Come Home

Linnets and Valerians

I'll second The Little House series. My boys thoroughly enjoyed the ones I've read so far. Same with Swallows and Amazons...and, well, almost every book the others have listed so far!

My girls are enjoying all the Beatrix Potter tales right now. We've also done the original Winnie the Poohs with success. Oh, and they're OBSESSED with all things Laura Ingalls, only they usually listen to the audiobooks for those.

I discuss our read-alouds on my blog very frequently. In fact, I host a blog carnival on every Thursday called Read Aloud Thursday. I usually highlight our shorter library picks for that post, but I post our longer books as we finish them, too. Everyone's welcome to participate, whether you blog or not! (Just leave a comment if you don't have a blog.)

We loved The Saturdays and especially Ginger Pye... we laugh about Ginger Pye still today, years later...

Another one that the children would not let me put down on a lovely read aloud Saturday was Johnny Tremain... I would get to the end of a chapter and they would insist that I continue...

Dd8's recommendations:

The Cabin Faced West

Betsy-Tacy

A Little Princess

Stone Fox

Cinnabar (by Henry, who did the Misty books--it's about a Fox on George Washinton's Estate)

Fairy Tales--try stories from other lands

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

No Flying in The House

Heidi

The Matchlock Gun