Menu

Any homeschoolers out there w/ outside paid jobs? Or at home jobs?

How do you make it work? Times are tough here, dh is unemployed and I will have a full-time, temporary job (14 weeks) beginning in 3 weeks. Dh will supervise the homeschooling while I'm working those 14 weeks. I'll still plan and schedule. Ultimately I'd like to have part-time, well paying at home job, if I have to earn some money.

I'd be so helpful to hear what you all do, how you make it work, what your families schedules are. I've been home with ds for 10 years, homeschooling since he was a baby - that's all we've both known these last 10 years. I'm having a hard time getting my mind around working outside the home. It would help me picture some solutions for us, to hear your experiences.

TIA,

Sherri

I work from home. I will eventually pare down to just one, but I took two when hubby got notice about being laid off. The one is doing customer service for a well-known company. The other is taking calls for infomercials. The latter pays better but considers you a contract laborer. Both companies (liveops.com and westathome.com) are hiring (recently, possibly currently, but soon). With the customer service job, I am supposed to work a certain number of hours per week. With the infomercial calls, I can work anytime day or night, as much or little as I want. Most moms, esp homeschoolers, find it easier to work VERY early morning or late nights. That is when call volume is greatest and when kids are sleeping (or supposed to be asleep).

I am trying not to have to do that.. My dh works at a newspaper. As you may know, this is not a good time to work at a newspaper. Yeeks.

But I committed to teaching the kids, and I love, love, love teaching them, so I take in all of the sewing work I can to make up for the money we need. (I do alterations, t-shirt quilts, costumes, etc.) I hope to actually get to save something in case dh should love his job, but that is a way's off.

I plan to do as much I can at home, praying for the Lord to send help. He is the one who called us to home school, so I know He will provide for us so we can do just that. He continues to send me sewing work, so this will work. I am also working very hard at being frugal. It is so hard to find time to sew, but if that is how we will get through, then I will do it.

Do you have any skills you can do at home to make money?

Mary

I worked at home doing medical transcription for years. I would do it early in the morning and late at night. I haven't had to do that for a while, and am thankful that I can just concentrate on the kids. It was hard to be a pleasant mommy when I really did not get enough sleep. If the economy doesn't pick up I may have to do it again (dh is in business and it is DOWN).

I have a dream job, I think. I work at the Y organizing all our youth sports leagues. The kids go to work with me, and they go to Y-Play or hang out on the fields with their friends. Some weeks are slow, but others are very hectic. This week is crazy since we're getting our spring soccer season ready. I still have school, and work in the afternoons from 3-7 or so on most weeks. Sometimes I have to be at a morning meeting, but my oldest just brings his school stuff with him.

I'm interested in this post,too.

I keep children and have for several years but most of them go off to kindergarten this August. I will go from 6 down to 2 children. I am trying to find a few new kiddos but competition is becoming steep and it seems that quite a few people are using some kind of assistance now and getting such a good (or free) rate from the state that I can't compete.

Does anyone make an income with Ebay? I will need to supplement when I lose these kids if I don't find others and honestly, even with these guys, I could use some extra income.

I do medical transcription part-time as well. I work after the kids are in bed. I do enjoy it and plan to keep it up as long as possible just to always have some of my 'own' income. It does mean I do chores during rest or naptime and some things get done on weekends by default.

I started a social group about this called balancing act.

I do daycare in my home and juggle homeschooling around it. Basically, for us we find children that fit our family and I treat things more like I have 5 children instead of 2 and plan around that.

We school in the mornings, do co-op and playgroup on Fridays and try to keep most things "normal."

It can be very stressful, but it works.:001_smile:

Dh and I both work part-time and stay home part-time. He works about 80% and is home one morning and one afternoon a week. I work about 40% and work one morning, one afternoon and some odd hours (early morning and evening when he'd be home anyway).

We haven't really had to share homeschooling yet as my ds is only in kindergarten and I can do all I need to in the time I'm home. But our plan is to ultimately share the teaching responsiblities.

For us, the schedule works great. It's just the amount of time at work for me...I stay current in my career and I do love what I do and wouldn't want to give it up completely. And it's just the right amount at home for him. He sees his time at home as his days off and I see my time at work as my days off. :) The biggest challenge is making sure we find time for each other. So much of our day-to-day conversation can be the hand off "C5 ate lunch well, H2 needs a nap, please fold the laundry in the dryer. Bye." So we have to make sure we still connect with each other.

Does anyone make an income with Ebay? I will need to supplement when I lose these kids if I don't find others and honestly, even with these guys, I could use some extra income.

I sell on Ebay here to make extra money. I browse garage sales, thrift stores and estate sales (things I do anyway because I'm cheap) and find things to re-sell on Ebay. I also sell for others on Ebay, specifically a local auction house, for a commission. It's a lot of fun, a lot of work and can be good money.

Amy

I have worked from home all the years of our homeschooling --- even before we started homeschooling. It was part-time at first but in 2001 it became full time (older dd was 11, younger dd was 9).

I am a software developer.

It has worked beautifully for us but it takes planning and thinking and a mindset/understanding by the mom, children and the employer. Sometimes I put in hours in the wee hours of the morning or late at night if some school task takes me away from paid employment during the day.

Jan

the YMCA. I teach swim lessons, lifeguard, and get to help with the Homeschool Enrichment program we offer. I also do Medical Transcription part time and data entry part time for the rafting company I work for. It works really well.

The kids get to swim and visit with friends at the Y. On my longer days they also bring some school work with them. The other stuff I do from home.

During the summer I will throw in some raft guiding trips just to get me out doing something I love :bigear:

I work full time, Mon-Fri, 8am-3:30pm, as an administrator for a large school district. My dh works full time from 4pm-1am as a manager for Wal-Mart. I select and plan all the curriculum, dh makes sure it gets done during the day. I correct papers and go over things the kids need help with in the evenings. Dh and I split the household chores evenly and kids help too. Dh and I don't get to spend a lot of time together but our time together is very special. It works pretty well for us!

I work 3 days a week as a pharmacy tech. I work one weekend day so I am gone on two school days. I school the kids full time on 3 days and part time on the days I work. Ds14 is very independent and takes classes at a coop so I don't really do anything for him. Dd10 is getting more independent and uses independent programs like TT when I am not here to help her.

I work part time doing computer based projects for my husband's company. Most of the time, I am at home and can work when homeschool is done for the day. However, now I am needed in the office for four hours a day or more to cover the phones. My husband tries to arrange it so that if I am working at office, he is working at home. I leave the assignments and do the read alouds when I get home (son prefers my read aloud voices lol). Otherwise. my son comes with me and works in the conference room or does stuff on one of the extra computers. Then, I do read alouds at lunch.

While this is not my ideal, it has some benefits. My son has learned a lot about computers and building networks, etc. hanging out at the office. He also gets more time with his dad and has male role models all about him. He gets to see how the real world functions. He also has his own business stocking the soda mess (clipping coupons and matching to sales, creating price lists, taking inventory, etc.). Having a kid around also curbs office gossip lol.

If you're a nurse, then you should be fine with medical terminology. There are lots of Stedman's terminology books out there for helps with specific fields of medicine. The other must is a fast and accurate typing speed. The start up costs would include a machine (different services use different types) and medical spellcheck software, plus a drug book (for spelling), and whatever Stedmans books you would need.

I would look in the yellow pages for transcription services and call and inquire if they need a transcriptionist. You could also call doctor's offices, medical clinics, etc and inquire if they need a transcriptionist.

I work full time, M-F 8-5. Luckily, my mom is pro-homeschooling, so DD goes to her house during the day. Most days, I cover the 3Rs and my mom does the rest. We school on the weekends most of the time, in addition to at least 3 evenings a week (more if we didn't get all the "required" stuff done in a subject the day before). We streamline as much as possible when I'm home, which means we don't eat elaborate meals, have neatly pressed clothes (but they're clean!) or watch TV, but its what we want to do. If you really want to do a thing, you find a way KWIM?

I work one full day per week as an art teacher at a private Classical school. I love my job and the students at the school. It is a great environment and compliments what I am doing at home with my daughter. On my outside work day, dd is home doing assignments while Grandma oversees that it is done.

Once in awhile I take some freelance graphic design projects and I also manage a website for a friend's non-profit ministry. I'm able to space this all around our studies and fortunately stay at home to do it.

We all seem to do what we have to do to make homeschooling work. That's the beauty of it!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by LRB_0754
grammar