Menu

Homemade Chicken Broth...

I skim the fat off. One way to do this is to refrigerate the broth - the fat will congeal at the top and will be very easy to just scoop off and toss. Or there are these fat-separator things that you can get at a kitchen shop. It is like a small watering can with the spout starting toward the bottom of the can. The fat rises to the top so when you pour the lower broth out you will miss the fat on the top.

I've always wondered if the electricity cost was worth it, especially for cheap cubes vs. homemade broth. You have to simmer it for quite a while.

However, now that I'm allergic to everything and read labels, I know that there are a bunch of allergens and just weird ingredients in the cubes, so it's worth it if you're doing it for health reasons.

I've always wondered if the electricity cost was worth it, especially for cheap cubes vs. homemade broth. You have to simmer it for quite a while.

However, now that I'm allergic to everything and read labels, I know that there are a bunch of allergens and just weird ingredients in the cubes, so it's worth it if you're doing it for health reasons.

Yeah, it is. If you want actual chicken broth, those "cheap cubes" are not going to be a substitute. Generally, I make stock overnight in my big crockpot, so there is comparatively little energy used.

I may skim a little, if there is a tremendous amount of fat. If I do, I put the skimmed fat into the freezer. Then I have schmaltz at the ready. Yum.

Yeah, it is. If you want actual chicken broth, those "cheap cubes" are not going to be a substitute. Generally, I make stock overnight in my big crockpot, so there is comparatively little energy used.

I may skim a little, if there is a tremendous amount of fat. If I do, I put the skimmed fat into the freezer. Then I have schmaltz at the ready. Yum.

Can you (or someone) share how you do it in the crockpot? I hate having to keep watch over that pot all day!

Put the broth in the fridge, let it sit a day, and then peel off the hardened fat. Scoop the broth into jars and freeze.

Ria

Jars? Like Mason jars? Do they not break? Or did you just mean containers?

TIA!

I hate having to keep watch over that pot all day!

all day??? How long do you let yours cook for? Mine takes about 6 hours or so.....or when it smells so good I can't stand it and have to take it off the stove so I can make dinner :D

Chicken broth - chicken parts - bones, skin, leftover meat, all of it.....celery, onions, carrots - cut up, only the good parts, not the leftovers. Add some garlic - I think I usually throw in some basil, oregano, and some thyme in, too. Throw some white vinegar in with it too....like a cup or two - it helps to leach the minerals from the bones, and it doesn't affect the taste. And then cover it with a lot of water. Bring to a boil, and then let it simmer for a few hours.......strain it all and freeze! You can also take some of the broth and boil it down in a pan until is really concentrated and freeze it in ice cubes....when you're making a sauce for dinner, throw an ice cube in, and ohmygoodness, the flavor is amazing.

Making real chicken broth is so good, and so incredibly healthy for you. I usually get a couple of fryer chickens when they go on sale; I got one tonight for .77 a pound....I'll roast it first, and we'll eat it for dinner, and then the next day everything gets thrown in the pot for broth.

I don't mean to high jack the tread but how do you make chicken broth? And what is the differenc between broth and stock?

Broth is just the liquid in which you boiled the heck out of the chicken or carcass. Stock is the boiled chicken or carcass with other stuff in it to add a richer, more complete flavor--typically, the leftover ends of things like carrots, potatoes, parsnips, celery, onion, maybe some garlic or herbs, whatever you like (though not usually veggies like broccoli or corn). I usually make broth using the carcass of a roasted chicken (you know, you roast a whole chicken as dinner the first day, pick it apart and leftovers or make chicken salad the next day, then use the carcass for broth or stock). I make broth instead of stock because I'm not organized enough to keep the leftover veggies etc. around until I need them!

Basically, I take the chicken carcass, heart and neck (but not other organs, I think--someone can correct me if I'm wrong), put them in a big pot, cover them to about an inch over the highest point with water, bring them to a boil, reduce them to a good simmer, and then simmer them for most of the day. Some people simmer much longer, just adding more water in when the level starts to get low. I then use the broth as the base for a soup (usually creamy chicken with rice). You'd use it in any recipe where you'd use a container of broth, or just to add a kick to basic rice, or whatever. It's very easy. Personally, though, I'd rather hear how others make it in the crock--I think that would cut down on the energy expenditure a LOT.

Also, IMO, the broth from a roasted chicken tastes very different from the broth of raw chicken. I much prefer the latter, actually, and think I may start doing it that way.

Oh, also, bone broth is VERY good for you, so this is not just a frugal thing. It's also an easy way to get some important nutrients. Here's a quick link:

http://realfoodforhealthandpleasure.blogspot.com/2008/05/bone-broth-benefits.html

HTH!

oh yeah, don't forget the giblets - to take them out, that is :lol: I roast the chicken for dinner - throw some garlic and onion and spices in the inside, cook it, eat it, and then when it comes time to scrape the dishes, yell at the kids not to throw any of their bones away, and have everyone bring their bones to me :D When I know I'm not going to get to it, I'll freeze the bone and parts until I get around to making the broth.

all day??? How long do you let yours cook for? Mine takes about 6 hours or so.....or when it smells so good I can't stand it and have to take it off the stove so I can make dinner :D

Chicken broth - chicken parts - bones, skin, leftover meat, all of it.....celery, onions, carrots - cut up, only the good parts, not the leftovers. Add some garlic - I think I usually throw in some basil, oregano, and some thyme in, too. Throw some white vinegar in with it too....like a cup or two - it helps to leach the minerals from the bones, and it doesn't affect the taste. And then cover it with a lot of water. Bring to a boil, and then let it simmer for a few hours.......strain it all and freeze! You can also take some of the broth and boil it down in a pan until is really concentrated and freeze it in ice cubes....when you're making a sauce for dinner, throw an ice cube in, and ohmygoodness, the flavor is amazing.

Making real chicken broth is so good, and so incredibly healthy for you. I usually get a couple of fryer chickens when they go on sale; I got one tonight for .77 a pound....I'll roast it first, and we'll eat it for dinner, and then the next day everything gets thrown in the pot for broth.

Oh, your instructions were so much better! And yeah, I do about 6-8 hours, but to me, that's all day :lol: I won't leave the stove on if I go out of the house, so then we're kind of stuck there...

All I did was stick two chickens in the countertop roaster and followed package directions to cook them. I ended up with a medium sized mixing bowl full of broth! My mom says to boil the chicken in a hug pot full of water. yuck!

I think that stock has vegetables and herbs added in.?

Oh, so you're just really talking about the juices from the chicken. Yes, that will have a lot of fat it in. Real broth is indeed boiled chicken/bones, and you'd get a lot more use out of that. It gets less gross after awhile, I promise :D

on the leftover ends of things to use in a broth.........you can, as far as health reasons, it's not bad for you or anything, but one of the cooking books I was reading by some famous chef...I forget who right now - was saying that real broth is the backbone of our cooking, and so you want it to be made from the best ingredients you have; you wouldn't serve carrot ends for dinner, so why put them in the broth?

I thought that was a good point.

yeah, I won't leave the house by myself with all the kids, so that's a moot point for me :lol:

Well, it's not as if I actually DO go anywhere. I just don't like to be tied down, just in case something terribly exciting comes up :lol: But I just looked at the ages of your kids, and yes, I can see why you're hesitant. That's a difficult range right there!

:001_rolleyes:Well I went about it all wrong, and I threw the bones out! Oh well, I still got really good chicken and "drippings" out of the deal.

My mom wanted me to boil the whole chicken! That would be such a waste, as the meat gets tough. That is what I meant by yuck.

She uses the giblets to make gravy, then strains them out of that and adds them to stuffing.

Another funny boo-boo I made: When I went to carve the chicken I was sorely disappointed to find no white meat. I served up the thighs and wings, and was really puzzled. I had the chicken in the pan upside down!:tongue_smilie:

:001_rolleyes:Well I went about it all wrong, and I threw the bones out! Oh well, I still got really good chicken and "drippings" out of the deal.

My mom wanted me to boil the whole chicken! That would be such a waste, as the meat gets tough. That is what I meant by yuck.

She uses the giblets to make gravy, then strains them out of that and adds them to stuffing.

Another funny boo-boo I made: When I went to carve the chicken I was sorely disappointed to find no white meat. I served up the thighs and wings, and was really puzzled. I had the chicken in the pan upside down!:tongue_smilie:

Ah, I see. Yeah, that's definitely a different kind of meat. I think that's why most people do boil it after roasting, though I'm a huge fan of chicken pot pie and would probably freeze the boiled meat for that and soup and stuff.

And my mother swears that's how everyone should roast chickens. She says that way the juices that drip from the dark meat drip down to the drier breast meat and keep it moist. She's been cooking here a lot lately and just about has me convinced. So maybe it wasn't such a boo-boo after all!

OMG! I have not heard "Schmaltz" mentioned in ages - I think since 1986. Memories!

Now with the revised thinking of some nutrition experts, we may be able to talk about Schmaltz again.

After I roast a chicken I save all the left over bones. I even freeze them if I am not going to make broth right away. I put the bones in my crockpot and fill it to the top with water. Then I add a tablespoon of vinegar. I let this sit for about 30-60 minutes. The vinegar draws the nutrients from the bones. Then I add some veggies and cook on low. I cook it for up to 24 hours. This makes the richest and densest broth. By cooking it this way I do not have to be in the house for all the hours that I am cooking it.

Near the end of the cooking I will put in some parsley for the last 30 minutes or so. Then I drain the stock and add salt. I then either separate it and freeze it, or I cool it first and then freeze it in smaller containers.

Jennie

Carmen,

Yes, I use mason jars (but you must leave sufficient space at the top because of expansion when freezing) or rubbermaid plastic containers (my first choice). If I use the plastic containers, I freeze the broth, then a few days later run the container under hot water and slide the brick of frozen broth out. I wrap it in sarah wrap and then foil, and put it back in the freezer (I try to label how many cups so when I need broth I can grab the right amount).

You can make broth from the carcass of a roasted chicken as the other women have said. Or, if you are poaching chicken breasts you can add very little water, and save that once you remove the chicken. If possible, do this with split or whole breasts still on the bone; remove the poached meat from the bones and throw the bones back in the stock pot along with your veggies for broth.

Now, about those veggies. A good broth will simmer with a carcass and onions, carrots, and celery. Here's a hint: get a large ziplock bag (1 gallon is good) and every time you have leftover vegetable scraps from food preparation (potato peels, carrot peels and ends, ends of celery, ends of onions and onion skins....yes, the skins...they add color), put these scraps in the bag. Keep the bag in the freezer. When you are ready to make broth, just empty your bag of frozen veggie pieces/scraps. When your broth is done, pour it through a strainer.

Hope this helps.

Ria

After I roast a chicken I save all the left over bones. I even freeze them if I am not going to make broth right away. I put the bones in my crockpot and fill it to the top with water. Then I add a tablespoon of vinegar. I let this sit for about 30-60 minutes. The vinegar draws the nutrients from the bones. Then I add some veggies and cook on low. I cook it for up to 24 hours. This makes the richest and densest broth. By cooking it this way I do not have to be in the house for all the hours that I am cooking it.

Near the end of the cooking I will put in some parsley for the last 30 minutes or so. Then I drain the stock and add salt. I then either separate it and freeze it, or I cool it first and then freeze it in smaller containers.

Jennie

Carmen,

Yes, I use mason jars (but you must leave sufficient space at the top because of expansion when freezing) or rubbermaid plastic containers (my first choice). If I use the plastic containers, I freeze the broth, then a few days later run the container under hot water and slide the brick of frozen broth out. I wrap it in sarah wrap and then foil, and put it back in the freezer (I try to label how many cups so when I need broth I can grab the right amount).

You can make broth from the carcass of a roasted chicken as the other women have said. Or, if you are poaching chicken breasts you can add very little water, and save that once you remove the chicken. If possible, do this with split or whole breasts still on the bone; remove the poached meat from the bones and throw the bones back in the stock pot along with your veggies for broth.

Now, about those veggies. A good broth will simmer with a carcass and onions, carrots, and celery. Here's a hint: get a large ziplock bag (1 gallon is good) and every time you have leftover vegetable scraps from food preparation (potato peels, carrot peels and ends, ends of celery, ends of onions and onion skins....yes, the skins...they add color), put these scraps in the bag. Keep the bag in the freezer. When you are ready to make broth, just empty your bag of frozen veggie pieces/scraps. When your broth is done, pour it through a strainer.

Hope this helps.

Ria

That is so helpful, thank you both!

uh, sorry. I must have wandered off...

Schmaltz - I use it for the obvious matzo ball soup, but also for sauteeing veggies for chicken and dumplings and a number of other things. (I categorically ignore the thinking of nutritionists, so I've been talking schmaltz this whole time. ;))

We do broth overnight in the crock pot, or for several hours on the stove top, depending on how many carcasses I have. When I roast a chicken, the carcass goes into the freezer. Ditto any onion ends, limp celery, etc. I also will get some chicken backs at the Amish market, and maybe feet (great source of gelatin). Everything goes into the crock pot (6 qt) or the stock pot (16 qt) with a splash of apple cider vinegar (helpful for extracting minerals) and simmers either overnight or, in the stock pot, from morning until mid-afternoon.

Then, I strain it and pressure can it in quart jars. I've had breakage with trying to freeze in jars, but I think that was my own issue - note: air takes up space - better to leave the lids loose so that air can be displaced during the freezing process. Or, just use Ball jars that indicate they are good for canning and freezing on the box.

Since I can the stock, when I open a jar I just write the open date on the lid because that has to be trashed at the end anyway.

We also can ham stock (smoked ham hocks, onion, garlic) for bean soups. For beef stock, I would recommend roasting the bones first and deglazing the pan to get all that nice carmelization.