Menu

Book a week in 2009 Week 7 Update

Today, Week 7 starts in the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and the start of book # 8

Recap of the rules:

Feel free to join in at any time

1. Read an average of a book a week - 52 books in 52 weeks
  2. Re-reading a book counts--as long as you first read it before 2009
  3. School related books don't count (unless you want them to)

Wow! That was a quick week. There are several great reviews that were posted on the 52 books blog so be sure to check them out. I'm sure the folks who wrote the reviews would love to hear your comments.

You can post your reviews here or there. Why does that remind me of Sam I Am :)

I am two thirds of the way through Book Thief and it really captures your attention. Looking forward to hearing what you all are reading this week.

Happy Reading.

Week 7 Telling Secrets A Memoir by Frederick Buechner

Week 6 The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin

Week 5 The Reason for God by Tim Keller

Week 4 The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer for the umpteenth time

Week 3 Watership Down by Richard Adams

Week 2 A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson

Week 1 The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Happy Reading!

I have one chapter of Journeys to a Mythical Past left. This is a very easy and interesting read so I can finish in one sitting. I haven't really decided what to start next as I have seven sitting in my next pile. I have also been reading several dog training books and heavy duty textbooks interspersed with my 52 books, so a lot of reading going on. I will post when I decide and actually start the next probably tonight or in the morning.

Week 1: The Nice and the Good by Iris Murdoch

Week 2: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Week 3: The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch

Week 4: The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie

Week 5: The Moor's Last Sigh by Salman Rushdie

Week 6: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Week 7: Shalimar the Clown by Salman Rushdie

Blessings

Zoraida

Last week I read What It Means to Be a Libertarian by Charles Murray. A concise (not thorough) introduction to libertarian thought from one who considers himself more in the "classical liberal" strand than modern libertarian purists. His philosophy is very well reasoned-through, I thought.

This week I am reading Why The Universe Is The Way It Is by Hugh Ross. All I can say so far is "Wow."

I don't know if I'll be able to finish it since it is quite mind-boggling, but it is a good read, so maybe...

This week, I finished The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. What a loathsome individual he was!

I got halfway through In the Company of Cheerful Ladies (No. 1 Ladies' Detective series), which provided much needed breaks from The Prince.

And, I'm looking forward to starting His Word in my Heart: Memorizing Scripture for a Closer Walk With God by Janet Pope.

Just finished The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff, it's the sequel to 84 Charing Cross Road and is the short, delightful tale of her-finally got here!-trip to London. Highly recommend if you loved 84.

Week 6: Shelf Life by Suzanne Stempek Shea

Week 5: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Week 4: Mosaic by Amy Grant

Week 3: The Faith Club by Idilby, Oliver and Warner

Week 2:The Body in the Kelp by Katherine Hall Page

Week 1: Nightingales: The Extraordinary Upbringing and Curious Life of Miss Florence Nightingale by Gillian Gill

I finished a few easy reads this past week.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - My dd has been wanting me to read this and now she can chat to me about it. It was fun, I can see how teens would love it but really didn't understand why older women do so.

Dead as a Scone by Ron Benrey - a cozy mystery... the title is apt. *snore*

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - An excellent short story available online. Great writing.

This coming week I'm going to be reading Brighton Rock by Graham Greene, The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (my first Fforde, I'm looking forward to it), and the newly published Death of a Witch: Hamish Macbeth by MC Beaton, one of my favourite cozy mystery series'.

I read Edward de Bono's "How to teach your child to think." I'd be interested in anyone's comments on that, if they've used his ideas with their kids. Now I'm reading a book on single mothers with sons, even though I'm not a single mum...

:)

Rosie

I've never heard of it, but can't wait to see what you think of it! This sounds interesting.

1. Bel Canto

2. In Cold Blood

3. Joy in the Morning, Sister Carrie

4. Sense and Sensibility

5. Queen Bee Moms and Kingpin Dads

6. Before and After You Get Your Puppy

7. Assassination Vacation, by Sarah Vowell

This week's was a re-read for me. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm having a truly hard time really "losing" myself in any book at all. But I saw this one sitting the shelf and remembered liking it last time . . .

And, honestly, I don't know what I'm reading next.

I finished The Book Thief and posted review on my blog and 52 books blog. Very good book - not an easy read, but highly recommend it.

I need a break after that one, so reading something light,easy and wacky --- So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams.

Happy Reading!

I've never heard of it, but can't wait to see what you think of it! This sounds interesting.

De Bono's "How to teach your child to think" is a worthwhile read. Worthwhile enough that I've put it on my amazon wish list anyway :) I think teaching thinking techniques is a very sensible idea but got rather tired of his need to create an acronym for a concept we already have a word for.

Rosie

I've lost track of when I read what, so I'll backtrack a bit. I finished 'The Good Earth', a book I liked and loathed in turns, depending on what part I was reading. My fun reading was 'Drowned Wednesday' and 'Sir Thursday' by Garth Nix (MG fantasy), each of which I devoured in a few hours. I also read 'Coloring Outside the Lines' by Roger Schank, which annoyed me even though I agreed largely with the author, and 'Boys Adrift' by Leonard Sax, which was a better read, better researched, less arrogant and more thought-provoking, though it, too, had its biases. :D Next up, 'A Suitable Boy' by Vikram Seth, truly a monster of a book!

I'm reading "House of Dies Drear" by Virginia Hamilton today. Interesting book about people who moved into home used for underground railroad back in slave days. It may be haunted by the dead owner and two slaves who were murdered back then...

Did you all check out Saturday Salon? Good selection of reviews and many books to add to your TBR piles.

Happy Reading

Edited by Mytwoblessings