Menu

best/easy recipes using kale

Guest Virginia Dawn

I just substitute it for spinach in any recipe. It takes a little longer to cook but works just fine. It also dries quickly in the oven so you can make crunchy kale strips.

Love kale! Haven't had it in a while... need to fix that!

I tend to cook it with ham (and maybe some onions) and serve with mashed potatoes, or make a Portuguese-style kale and potato soup with chorizo.

In the former recipe, mixing the kale with the mashed potatoes before eating is yummy!

ETA: This same meal is often served with black-eyed peas as well.

Be sure to use pineapple-yum. Start with half and half fruit/veg. If he wants to get healthy/have more kale-I can't praise this highly enough!!!!! I also use frozen banana/frozen berries to make it colder. Be sure to make spinach your main veg because it's milder; you can work up to more and more kale. Drinking these has changed our lives!

http://www.blendtec.com/recipecard.aspx?id=198

Kale is also very healthy for your eyes and vision! There was a study about ten years ago to see if introducing kale or spinach into your diet would slow down or stop the progression of early visual distortion associated with macular degeneration. Not only did it stop the progression but in many cases actually improved the metamorphopsia and improved contrast sensitivity! The kale was more effective than spinach and the amount used in the study was only a half cup twice a week. I've been inspired ever since to eat kale and spinach on a regular basis. I've also since discovered that homegrown kale tends to be more tender than what I found at the stores.

Edited by Kerrie in VA

Be sure to use pineapple-yum. Start with half and half fruit/veg. If he wants to get healthy/have more kale-I can't praise this highly enough!!!!! I also use frozen banana/frozen berries to make it colder. Be sure to make spinach your main veg because it's milder; you can work up to more and more kale. Drinking these has changed our lives!

I hate Kale (and I am a big Veg lover!) but this sounds like I may actually like it! Thanks. :)

Our family is on a CSA through a local organic produce farm and we get kale frequently. Our favorite way to cook it so far is to stir fry it in a skillet with olive oil and fresh garlic - sometimes onions. We start by cutting it up into fine shreds and by seasoning the oil with the garlic/onion mixture. Get the pan nice and hot then throw in the shredded kale. Keep stirring until the greens are nice and wilted. Finally, top it off with a little balsamic vinegar as you serve it or put the vinegar cruet on the table for those that want it. We love our greens with BV and have it regularly.

Bon appetite!

Blessings,

Lucinda

We just tried this recipe for Kale Bruschetta a few weeks ago, and I could happily eat it once a week or more.

In olive oil, saute some garlic and red pepper flakes to taste. Add large bunches of kale, tossing occasionally with the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook down until it is tender enough to your taste.

Then we take some rustic bread or baguette, slice, brush with olive oil and toast lightly. When the kale is cooked to your liking, put a small pile on top of the toasts, grate some fresh Parmsesan on top, and toast once more. (I have a toaster oven, which makes this easy.)

And there you have it...yummy! My husband and I can't get enough of it.

• 3 weeks later...
We just tried this recipe for Kale Bruschetta a few weeks ago, and I could happily eat it once a week or more.

In olive oil, saute some garlic and red pepper flakes to taste. Add large bunches of kale, tossing occasionally with the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook down until it is tender enough to your taste.

Then we take some rustic bread or baguette, slice, brush with olive oil and toast lightly. When the kale is cooked to your liking, put a small pile on top of the toasts, grate some fresh Parmsesan on top, and toast once more. (I have a toaster oven, which makes this easy.)

And there you have it...yummy! My husband and I can't get enough of it.

I am resurrecting this thread on kale to thank muffinmom for the Kale Brushetta idea. My husband loved it!

For lunch today I made a Cannellini and Kale Ragout (recipe from Epicurious) that was easy and delicious. Talk about a bowl of health!

Jane

I am resurrecting this thread on kale to thank muffinmom for the Kale Brushetta idea. My husband loved it!

For lunch today I made a Cannellini and Kale Ragout (recipe from Epicurious) that was easy and delicious. Talk about a bowl of health!

Jane

So glad you liked it...I love how simple it is, too.

I eat a fruit smoothie everyday but have never thought of adding veggies.... thanks for the idea. I could also start feeding these to the kiddos and sneak in some really healthy stuff! Do you think using frozen spinach would have the same benfits? Also, why do you say drinking these have changed your life?

Thanks!

Edited by Country Girl