Menu

How do you survive when laid off?

:grouphug: I think you need the hugs even more than the advice. :grouphug:

Do you have any kind of an emergency fund? Something that can tide you over while your or your dh or both look for work? (If the answer is no, that's ok - it will just mean you're starting at a different place).

I would try to pare down spending as much as you can.

I've heard people say that looking for work is itself a full-time job and should be approached that way.

Network. Call friends and family and see if they know of any opportunities. Some businesses are hiring.

Take advantage of help from friends, family, church, or community.

Well, we *were* in the situation about 3 years ago, and it lasted for 7 months.

Some things we did were to find every free or cheap thing to do in the city. Here in KY, Louisville and Lexington host "hometown tourist month" when all the local attractions have free admission at least once during that month. That's fabulous, but there are always many other free and cheap things to participate in.

Also, we got extraordinarily creative with our meals. I found ways to make a little meat stretch a long way (see the "More With Less" Cookbook)—for instance, a pound of sausage lasts me for at least three or four meals. I got very good at shopping the sales and stocking up when things were cheap.

Some websites that helped me were the HillBilly Housewife and Miserly Moms. That will help you get started, and there are tons of other resources on the web.

Also, we don't have things like cable TV, etc, and we try to pay cash for everything. See Dave Ramsey's website or it's free equivalent, Living Like No One Else.

Hope that helps a little. The stress is really tough, but for us it eventually turned out to be a great time of having Dad home and drawing closer together.

Susan

First, I am so sorry that you and Denise are going through this. My dh was laid off and out of work for over six months in 2007. It was very stressful. For me, really leaning on God and the prayers of friends and family, got me through. It was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever gone through.

I made my grocery list from the sales flyers. If it wasn't on sale, I mean really on sale, not 10 or 20 cents, but more like buy one get one free, I didn't buy it. I bought a lot of store brand stuff if it was something we really needed. Over time I got a pretty well stocked pantry. Grocery sales usually go in three month cycles. Try to buy enough of the sale items to last three months when they are likely to go on sale again. I only shopped once a week.

Dh also started praying together every day. That is something good that came out of the layoff and we have continued to pray together most mornings before he leaves for work.

I will pray for both of you and your families. :grouphug:

My dh was let go when we had two year old twins. I completely freaked when he came home early and immediately told me the news.

You're smart enough to know: don't eat out at the steak house, don't buy expensive clothes etc.

At the time (the economy was still awesome), we took a second out on our house. He was out of work for six months. We're still paying off the second.

The main thing that helped me was hearing from so many friends that they'd once gone through it too. Oddly, that made me feel better. We didn't know anyone else at the time getting laid off.

Also, and I know this puts me in the vast minority. I was more than willing to sell our house and move into a condo. My dh flipped at the idea. But I had two year olds and I sure didn't want to put them into daycare.

I also would have sold a vehicle if need be. And we didn't have cable to turn off, but I would have turned it off. I stopped the paper etc.

Also, I wouldn't be beyond going to a food bank. To be honest, I've never done it, don't know anyone who's done it, didn't know how or where to go. But I thought about it. I wouldn't hesitate now to use one.

If I had decent parents, I would have considered moving in with them, but my parents are both beyond difficult. I don't know how they live w/ each other.

I wish I had been reading the Little House on the Prairie books back then because Ma and Pa's problems sure put our problems into perspective: fast.

The thing I hated the most: people who said "maybe something good will come out of this". I thought, "how dumb. Maybe something bad will just as easily come out of this." And, "the Chinese symbol for crisis is the same symbol as for the opportunity."

But, you know, something very good did come out of it. Today, I want to call my dh's former boss and thank him for laying my dh off. Dh's new job is far better in many different ways than his last.

Take care,

Alicia

:grouphug: I think you need the hugs even more than the advice. :grouphug:

Do you have any kind of an emergency fund? Something that can tide you over while your or your dh or both look for work? (If the answer is no, that's ok - it will just mean you're starting at a different place).

I would try to pare down spending as much as you can.

I've heard people say that looking for work is itself a full-time job and should be approached that way.

Network. Call friends and family and see if they know of any opportunities. Some businesses are hiring.

Take advantage of help from friends, family, church, or community.

I agree with this. And :grouphug: I'm sorry. I know from first hand experience the tremendous stress that comes with this situation.

We just went through a period of unemployment. We managed, and we had to keep a positive outlook.

My DH was grateful to have the time with us at home - even though it was tough, he said he wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Luckily with your dh being laid off, you should qualify for unemployment, so that should help a little.

I did immediately apply to the state for health insurance for the kids. They will let you know if you qualify for anything else - if you'd rather check for yourself, look to see if your state offers a screening tool on their website. Most programs (other than kids health insurance) have income and assett guidelines, and you would obviously need to provide documentation.

Food banks are a great resource for when the need arises. This info should be in the phone book - ours are listed in the blue community information pages. Also, in many areas you can find an Angel Food program (the name is something like that) that does lower cost food packages. You don't get a whole lot of choice, but it will fill your belly.

You can get through this - you are not the first, and you won't be the last... :grouphug:

I've typed up a follow up reply about 3 times now. And deleted each one. I'm afraid to put my feelings in print. It isn't pretty.

We've cut back. On heat, food. There are no extras. We were not "living large" before. But our savings is not huge and there are still basic necessities and bills that must be paid. Cobra will cost us over $900 a month. So, not only do we have NO INCOME, but we now have another huge bill to pay. That is what I do not understand. How you can go months being unemployed. Even with all the cutting back, there are still bills to be paid. And eventually the savings will run out. I'm sad, angry, depressed, pessimistic, bitter...

I.. AM.. SO.. STRESSED....:crying: If your family is also in this situation, how do you manage??

First of all, a big :grouphug: to you and your family. Oh, I feel for you. We are in the same boat. Dh lost his job just a couple of weeks ago. We still can't grasp the whole thing. We moved to CO because of DH's job about 2 years ago, and now we hit rock bottom. We used to have a predictable income (salary) and now........DH found an hourly position in construction (but not 40 hours per week) just recently - but it doesn't cover the expenses we have. We are stuck with an oversized truck dh "inherited" when he was layed off. Now, we are stuck with an additional $425.00 in expenses.

How do we manage? I think we are still living in denial. We sold everything we didn't need, no more going out, no FUN stuff. Shopping for clothes is done at thrift stores, meals will be meatless lots of time. I started baking our own bread, making our own joghurt, soft cheese, etc. We cancelled the weekly newspaper, no more magazines, no cell phones.... AND WE STILL FEEL WE CAN'T MAKE IT. We only have this one car that is parked in the garage (due to the huge amount of gasoline "that" monster needs) and dh tries to car pool when possible. On top of erverything, dh want to go back to college at night. He wants to change careers so this won't happen to us again. But like you............. I AM STRESSED............ AND MAXED..........to the limit:crying:

However, I believe that better times will come, that we will emerge as winners from this whole mess, that our family will become stronger. I pray a lot and this gives me the strength right now to continue. I know, that I don't have to carry the burden by myself - that I have someone that helps me to carry the load. But it will be a long and rocky road.

Hang in there. I know things will get better in the future. I just wished I could do more for you. If you need a shoulder to cry, if you need someone to lend you and :bigear: - just send me a pm or e-mail. I just want to let you know.......YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!

Again, my prayers go out to you and your family.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

Dh was laid off in late December of '08. He still has not found a job. So far, we are surviving on the severance package he got, the savings we had, and the unemployment checks.

More importantly though, we have a strong faith in a God who is good in all things. Even if we think they are bad. Because of that, we have hope. Without faith and hope, all there is is fear. We have been there and don't ever want to be there again.

My dh lost his job (working for my father, of all things!) over 5 years ago and we were in a financial mess. It's a long story, but we had two houses, two mortgage payments, 2 2nd mortgage payments and credit card debt. We were in the situation that so many are facing today. While the circumstances that forced us into the situation were beyond our control, the truth is, had we managed our money better we would have been OK. It was a hard lesson to learn.

I can remember vividly back to that time. I was an emotional mess. I mean, days upon days of crying, screaming, fighting with anyone who would give me the time of day, stressed like you wouldn't believe. Angry. At the same time, I had been told I had cancer (but I didn't - they misdiagnosed me!) which of course, added to the stress. I was afraid all the time that a sheriff would show up at my door when my dh was gone and throw us out. I had a 2 yr. old and a 6 yr. old at the time. I blamed everyone and everything - esp. my father. And I blamed God. I had a complete crisis of faith.

Because of that crisis, I am at peace today. The Lord showed himself to me in a way he never had before. He was faithful to our family. If you are a Believer, know that God is a God of the oppressed. At that time, I was very much oppressed. He hears our cries and answers our prayers -on His timing.

Because of that, because I know how he was faithful, because I know how he blessed us beyond what we could have dreamed, I have nothing short of faith now that he'll do the same this time. Maybe it will be in a different way, but I know it will be wonderful and beyond compare. Last time, we did lose everything. It ended up being the best thing that could have happened to us and we gained more than we lost (one of which was the wisdom to manage our finances better, stay away from debt, and have savings. Because of that lesson learned, we are OK now when it's happening to us a 2nd time around. It's like a do-over almost!;)).

If you don't have hope, you have fear. And honestly, what good is fear going to do for you? How is being fearful going to help you? No matter what you're facing, you need to just face it. Have courage. You will survive, I promise! You may lose your *stuff*, but who cares about *stuff* (I know, I know. I did at one time! I remember well and my credit cards at the time proved it!)?

You will get through this. No matter what it is, you CAN get through it. PM me if you want. I will be glad to talk more.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

has been so helpful to us that there's no way we could have made it without them.

Dh has been unemployed since march 08 and still nothing coming up now. I went back to work but it isn't full-time and not enough to pay remotely any debts now. I"m only paying 4 bills right now so that we have a place to live and that's it. I pay for food and basic household necessities and that's it.

Today i was at Food lion and someone was asking if they are hiring and of course the answer is no -- no one is around here.

It is REAlly hard. I just try and keep positive and know that eventually things will get better.

My dw was laid off in 2003. First we lived on her severance package, then on unemployment, eventually on various types of government assistance (food stamps, fuel assistance, state health insurance) along with all the work we could find until we could get back on our feet. We couldn't afford COBRA and were without insurance for several years.

Dw was able to transition from corporate work to freelancing, but it took a good five years before our finances really stabilized, and we still have some debt.

My advice is not to be shy about asking for help from private or public agencies. I made the :cursing: stupid decision to use a credit card to pay for groceries rather than swallow my pride and apply for food stamps. We only just paid that debt off a few months ago - those were some expensive groceries. Please don't make the same mistake out of misplaced pride or shame. You are not alone in this.

I wanted to add a bit about insurance, since you mentioned that in a post.

My dh's job closed up. Went bankrupt. Liquidators bought the company and there was no COBRA offered because after the liquidation there was no company to stand behind the COBRA (trust me, we looked into this. There was no COBRA and it was legal. I promise.).

So, we are without insurance and have been since December 31. And I have an 8 month old.

I have talked to our Dr. about our situation. At my Dr. office, they give significant reductions in the cost of an office visit to those paying cash, because they don't have to work with the insurance companies. So an office visit for us would be $40. Now I know that's a lot when you don't have money, but if you're considering paying for COBRA, it's nothing. I have not taken anyone to the Dr., but one time which was in January. The baby had an ear infection that wasn't viral so we he needed antibiotics. The good thing there was that generic antibiotics are free at a lot of places now, or very minimal - $4 for instance. I think I paid $10 but that was because I didn't want to make the significantly longer drive to the store where it was free.

My point is, insurance might not be a big deal that you don't have it temporarily. Also, there are usually state programs to help with low-income families, including medicaid. You need to look into your state's health dept.

Personally, if it had been offered, we would have turned down COBRA and not batted an eye. No way could we have afforded it. Even 1/2 off as someone mentioned in the stimulus package would be too much. We are trusting that it will be OK.

My worry with health insurance stems from a health concern my husband has with his leg/foot. We're afraid that if we go uninsured, for even a day, that later a health insurance policy will tell us he has a "pre-existing condition" and refuse to cover medical cost. I feel extremely vulnerable being uninsured. As if we are tempting fate and asking for more trouble.

COBRA is exorbitant... and I knew the kids could be covered by the state. We took a gamble - but an educated gamble:

One child has medical concerns - not a concern if she's covered by the state, plus she would continue to have continued coverage, which is important for her. One scheduled appointment was coming up, and I knew the doc would accept the change in insurance.

Neither my dh nor I have current medical concerns. If we would need medical care, we had options:

- something small - grocery store operated a walk in clinic with a local hospital; small copay; might have to pay for an Rx, and we'd try to get generic

- ER visit for something bigger, we would apply for a discounted bill through the hospital

- something major, and we would automatically apply for Medical Assistance; even if we have assets, we might be covered for an emergent admission; we would then apply to the hospital for a reduction in the portion of whatever MA wouldn't pay

It was worth it to us, but I also know the systems... We had no income, so COBRA was deemed as a non-necessity.

Sorry - we cross-posted... I pm'ed you...

Edited by JoyfulMama

My dh lost his job 6 years ago and was without a career job for about 6 months. He found it very helpful to just take anything, so he waited tables and it turned out that he really enjoyed it. With the economy as it is now, that might be more difficult, but maybe doing anything would be helpful. (Spring is coming. Maybe he could offer to do yard work for people? Getting garden beds ready and the like, then mow lawns as it gets warmer?) My dh found it helpful to work with his hands for awhile and found it a nice break (even though it was still hard work) from his usual desk job.

When he first lost his job, however, he suffered a nervous breakdown. He felt like he had let us down. It was a very difficult thing for me to watch and there was not really anything I could do to help him. (Not to mention the finanacial worries I was going through myself.) He started having coffee with our pastor once a week and had a close relationship with one of our elders, so that helped quite a bit. Just to have someone to talk to so he didn't feel like he was burdening me all the time. I spent a lot of time talking with a close girl friend of mine.

We also attempted to keep COBRA, but we couldn't afford it. It was more than our mortgage payment! During that time of unemployment, I had emergency surgery and delivered a baby in my first hospital delivery. Looking back, I can't figure out how in the world we paid it all off, but it happened eventually. Most doctors lowered their fees out of kindness, they all let us pay over time with no interest, and we paid them cash whenever we could.

Friends were so helpful. They brought us groceries, diapers, money for utility bills, and set-up job interviews for dh. He ended up getting a job in the next state via a friend of a friend. We even got a great deal on a rental house in the new place by emailing churches and letting them know what we needed and what we thought we could afford. Someone we never met bought a house at auction and rented it to us at a loss to himself to help us out! Get the word out. There are people out there who can help, but they can't do anything if they don't know of the need. It was very difficult for me to ask for help. I am a very independent person, but I was amazed at how thankful people were to me for asking me to help them and allowing then the honor of helping me. I was just amazed.

The loss of a job is very, very scary. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Please know our prayers are with you (and everyone else looking for work right now).

((HUGS))

We were 'laid off' back in early 2004. We had just move cross country, had a baby, bought a house and he get's laid off!?!?? they didn't even want the relocation money paid back. :001_huh: It was so stressful and about broke up our marriage.

First, do not do Cobra. You can usually get an individual plan through Blue Cross or others for way cheaper. And the health department has Dr services based on a sliding pay scale. Use the free resources. I didn't notice the age of your child(or children) but if you have a young one in the house take the time to get on WIC. It's a pain in the butt. The free food lasted us 6 months after we were back on our feet. We actually chose to go without insurance rather than pay Cobra or an individual plan. We were blessed and did not need medical care during our unemployment. I had enough refills on my medication for the year so it was a personal choice not to have insurance. Only you can evaluate if you can skip it for awhile or if you need the individual plans.

Find out where the shelters are in your city and when they serve meals. most only require ID to eat. and many offer clothes or food. Ask friends about local churches and if they offer ministries to people in need. Our last church has a ministry that distributes money for bills and gives away bags of food on a case by case basis. You need to find who in the community has this. Utilities also have systems in place for people in need. you need to call and ask. one month covered by them would be helpful right? Most things to help you are going to require some effort on your part, but it's out there. As for food, find out if you have Angel Food ministries in your area. you pay for a box of food....good food....for less than it would cost in the store.

We chose to list our house after 3 months of no job. We had only been in it a few months...so we figured it wouldn't sell for what we needed to get out without owing the realtor but it sold and it sold quickly. the newspaper guy in our neighborhood saw the sign and called immediately. you never know who wants to be in your neighborhood! if you are renting let them know your situation. those people have the ability to rework those leases. work with them. they would rather get a little less each month than you leave abruptly and they get nothing and have to clean and hope to release. communication with them is helpful just like the utilities.

I found the credit card people to be the least helpful. if you aren't buying their 'insurance' they refuse to help. it's sad b/c I remember a time when you could negotiate these things.

School loans were actually easy. I was able to get on a lower payment. AND we got a short delay on payment. I can't remember what they called it but it was a one time use kind of thing to delay payment for a month or two and then do the lower payment. it was just what we needed.

The best thing I learned is that if you communicate with your creditors/utilities/etc you can get things taken care off in your favor. In this economy I suspect they are more prepared for these calls. if someone won't help ask for a supervisor or call back to get another person.

And finally...you have to communicate with your spouse. Discuss things often. get out of the house if possible together.....go to a bookstore(free) or do something outside. we stopped talking b/c we had nothing positive to say. we stopped dealing with our situation b/c neither of us wanted to step up and make the hard decisions. We both were ready to walk away. we are currently in a situation he *may* not have a job next month. but we already have a plan if it happens. we have discussed it in great length and no matter what life throws at us, we are communicating. Don't let the stress of this situation mess us your family. you need each other more than ever.

it seems hopeless, but all things change...eventually your situation will be different. it may get worse before better, but eventually it will get better. hang in there and don't be afraid to ask for help. from friends for dinners or free babysitting. from family if you need a place to stay.

((hugs))

:grouphug:

We're going through this too -- for the second time for us in approx. 7 years. The first time my dh was laid off, it took 1.5 years before he found a comparable office job w/ benefits (at about half the pay he had earned previously).

He took a job at Starbucks (barista/cashier) because you can get health care coverage for being a part-time employee. He worked many late nights & weekends so that he would have his days to look for work &/or do contract office jobs that he managed to find. I picked up contract work too. I've heard that Kohl's and Target also have healthcare benefits for part-time employees. If healthcare benefits are important to you, definitely check out to see if you can find part-time work at these companies. To be realistic, the money you earn at these part-time jobs will mainly go toward paying your part of your healthcare coverage, so that's something to be aware of (not like you'll really have a lot left over for groceries or anything).

Also, some other folks have already mentioned good strategies re: healthcare benefits -- ask your doctors for reduced rates, ask for medicine samples instead of getting prescriptions, google like crazy to find rebates on prescription meds, etc.... Also, Publix (and I'm sure others) has some prescription meds for free.

Spread the word, talk to anyone & everyone, find any types of support you can (family, friends, church groups, etc...). Talk to any creditors about reducing payment, etc....

No real words of wisdom, just lots of empathy. It pretty much sucks when you're living through it. Just remember to be kind to each other & pull through to the other side. Hang in there.

If your husband doesn't have a 63-day gap in his coverage, a new group health plan cannot apply a pre-existing condition exclusion. So try to keep any gap under 63 days. Also, many large plans have dropped their PCEs, so if he is rehired by a large employer, this may not be an issue. If you do end up with a gap in coverage and a plan with a PCE, the exclusion can't be longer than one year.

As for COBRA, here's a trick: wait until the last (okay, next to last) possible day to send in your election. Your first premium isn't due until X days after you make your election. Your election isn't due until X days after the co. mails your qualifying event notice. Hold your first premium until the latest possible date after your election, and then mail it in if you don't have new group health coverage by then. That first premium will be a doozy, BUT if you have new coverage by then, you don't ever pay that first premium. You would only send in that first premium if you don't have coverage and have had a significant claim. If you do this, keep meticulous track of the deadlines, send everything via registered or certified mail to prove you mailed it on time, and make sure that someone knows to send it in if you're in a coma somewhere. Seriously--I know someone who planned to do this and was in a motorcycle accident right about the time her first premium was due. The first thing she did when she was coherent was tell her dad where the COBRA check was.

Depending on how timely your company sends out COBRA notices, stretchin your election like this can fairly easily buy you 90 extra days of coverage.

Finally, someone told me recently that some states pay COBRA premiums if there's a medical need in the family. I don't know the details, but this family had a toddler with a brain tumor, and the state was paying their entire premium because it was cheaper than Medicaid.

Hope that helps some.

Terri

I so feel for anyone in this situation. We had to move to a cheaper place (we only rent but 200$ less is 200$ more for bills when all you get a month is less than 900$ on unemployment). We haven't had cable television in a year. We have our phone line and dial up internet, but we feel it is necessary because this is how we file out unemployment every week. We had to stop paying our car insurance (I don't actually recommend this, just our situation). No buying, well, anything. I finally had to break down and buy my boys new shirts a month ago because they were way outgrown. We don't eat out. We sucked it up and got food stamps. If we hadn't we wouldn't be able to pay our basic bills AND eat.

Just remember though, things will get better. It took us almost a year but we finally have a ray of hope. My SO has a job now in Iowa, 10-ish hours away. It pays well, he'll get insurance, and cost of living isn't too terrible out there. My SO had no chance of getting a job here(unemployment in this county and counties around us are extremely high), so we expanded our search. I think for us, though, we don't own home, just rent and it makes it easier to just up and move. Others don't have such a simple option. I hope everything gets better for everyone though. Being unemployed just plain sucks.

We didn't use Cobra once dh old employer quit paying the insurance. Part of the spendulus package is supposed to help you all with cobra. I'm not sure who you should ask about that though. Maybe your dh's old employer.If it still is too high check into state coverage for your children. We could not afford the cobra plan and bought a plan through Golden Rule for our family. I didn't know about our state's insurance plan for children until right before dh found another job. I shopped for insurance online. I still have the name and number of the young man that walked me through buying insurance for our family. If you would like that information send me a PM.

another vote to dump COBRA [even w/ the bailout bill] unless you are needing it for MAJOR health problems NOW. you've been given some good options.

We are currently in month #8 of unemployment. Our [almost depleted] emergency fund helps, Unemployment checks help, WIC helps, state health care for the kids help, me and dh not having medical issues helps. We had already been paying cash for most things [or paying the credit card off every month] and living below our means. I have the app for food stamps sitting on the counter, but am delaying sending it in. I'm pretty sure I could buy better quality food that will work best for my specific family w/ the $$ rather than what a food pantry or angel food offers [and leave those options to people that might have exhausted their food stamp benefits]. If you are stressed, be sure to apply if you haven't already.

I wouldn't sell a vehicle unless you have several that you don't use at all. We have a paid off van, a paid off truck, and a Mazda 3 we're still making payments on. When we sit down and do the math, it's not worth it. The payment on the Mazda is basically what we would spend in GAS on the truck....and the truck can be used to make money hauling stuff for people if we get that far. Having two vehicles has already paid for itself several times over, and the little Mazda is used by dh to go out and about looking for contacts and networking at airfields [pilot]. We might drop the insurance on the truck, but it wouldn't be worth it to sell it.

We have been blessed that in the midst of this we have fared really well, considering. I still buy occasional cokes. His deceased dad's house should close next month, and that will be a great shot to the bank account. He might have an inside contact for a hotly contested flight job in the DFW area. I'm hoping for a solid yes or a quick no ;)

Good luck--

My dh was unemployed from August of 2008 until this past Monday. It was pretty stressful, though luckily we had my income from childcare, his unemployment and our emergency fund to pay bills with.

Reading books and watching movies about the Depression was comforting for me. It made me feel like we could get through it. If your library has movies, two that were good were "Kit Kittredge" and The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio (link is for book, but it's also a movie) http://www.amazon.com/Prize-Winner-Defiance-Ohio-Mother/dp/0743211235

Get creative about making extra money. Get the word out that you're available to babysit for people who need occasional childcare. Find out if there are any focus group places in your area that pay you to come in and talk to them about products for an hour. My husband was always checking the "gigs" section on craigslist for jobs that were a day or two.

You can apply for your state children's health insurance program to cover the kids so you don't have to pay insurance for them.

Also, I'd try to apply for food stamps, if you haven't already. Unless you have a substantial amount in savings, you'll probably qualify. If you have any children under five, you can apply for WIC.

Edited by phathui5

Thank you everyone for your help, suggestions, support and kindness. :001_smile:

We will sit down tomorrow and apply for medical assistance and food stamps. I have to look at WIC again It was very confusing the first time. We already applied for unemployment, but a good portion of that will end up going towards my hubby's child support payment and not come to us. We're going to try to sell one of our cars if we can get at least what we owe on it. Our house is already on the market (almost a year now). We will forgo Cobra. It equals another month's mortgage. I just can't afford it. We've had offers from both sides of our family for shelter if needed. It was very comforting, but also very sad to think that it may come to that. If it is because we've sold our house finally, than good. But, the thought of leaving because we have to is very sad. My husband has been very diligent in trying to attain employment. He posted his resume online immediately and contacted all the recruiters he has worked with previously. There are some possible contract jobs out there, but everyone is taking their time to fill positions.

It's been a rough weekend for me. The worry and stress I put myself under takes its toll physically on me. I'm exhausted.