Menu

Endometriosis Treatment: Laparoscopic Surgery & treatment vs. The Pill

I have been having bad endometriosis pain and just went to see a doc yesterday. Basically, my options are birth control pills (side effects, $$) or laparoscopic surgery (to diagnose & treat), but is surgery none-the-less and I may end up on the pill afterward anyway if the pain isn't relieved.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm just totally at a standstill in my decision making and DH is too.

Also, is the laparoscopic surgery different than an ablation? I'm waiting for a call back from the doctor's office (they've never mentioned ablation, but a friend thinks that is what they're referring to - however, everything I see separates the two ideas, laparoscopic vs. ablation).

Thanks,

Angela

My opinion...if you can tolerate the pill, this is the easiest way to combat endometriosis. This is much cheaper than surgery. There are different kinds of pills you can try to find the one with the least side effects or, ideally, no side effects at all. There are some people that cannot tolerate the pill in any form. Ask me how I know. :)

I read several book from the library on this subject. The best one was Endometriosis for Dummies. It does a good job explaining endometriosis and outlining the different treatment options.

Basically, the way I understand it, the way to beat back endometriosis without surgery is to trick the body into thinking it is pregnant (using the Pill) or in menopause (using Lupron). I use the words "beat back" because endometriosis is a chronic condition that cannot be cured. It can, however, be treated by drugs or surgery.

Endometrial ablation is a different procedure from the laparoscopy. I just had the ablation surgery last fall for other reasons. PM me if you want more details.

HTH

My opinion...if you can tolerate the pill, this is the easiest way to combat endometriosis. This is much cheaper than surgery. There are different kinds of pills you can try to find the one with the least side effects or, ideally, no side effects at all. There are some people that cannot tolerate the pill in any form. Ask me how I know. :)

I read several book from the library on this subject. The best one was Endometriosis for Dummies. It does a good job explaining endometriosis and outlining the different treatment options.

Basically, the way I understand it, the way to beat back endometriosis without surgery is to trick the body into thinking it is pregnant (using the Pill) or in menopause (using Lupron). I use the words "beat back" because endometriosis is a chronic condition that cannot be cured. It can, however, be treated by drugs or surgery.

Endometrial ablation is a different procedure from the laparoscopy. I just had the ablation surgery last fall for other reasons. PM me if you want more details.

HTH

Thanks Lisa! I can't take the Lupron because I already have relatively severe bone loss and that makes it worse. I would like more information on what pill was helpful for you...feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Thanks so much,

Angela

Also, is the laparoscopic surgery different than an ablation?

I've had both: Lapro hysterectomy (last month) and ablation (last year). Lapro is 3 small incisions (belly button, an one over each ovary) where the camera and tools are inserted. You'll have surgery w/ anesthesia and be down for a while. I was 3 hours on the operating table so I was down for all of January recuperating.

Ablation is done in the doc's office or the hospital. I had it done in my doc's office w/ no anesthesia. I don't recommend that route. Ablation only deals w/ the lining of the uterus. If you have endo, the ablation won't help you w/ anything outside.

I had adenomyosis for years. Ouch. Hence the surgery last month.

Lapro hyst would be a great option for you if you find out during your lapro that endo has damaged your uterus. Keep your ovaries and you won't have much of a transition. Just healing over the course of 3-5 weeks.

Also, how is your insurance? My lapro hyst cost $35 K (2 nights in hospital). Thankfully we have awesome insurance.

Sorry about your endo. For the sake of your family, I would have surgery and be done with it. I'm glad I did.

I've had both: Lapro hysterectomy (last month) and ablation (last year). Lapro is 3 small incisions (belly button, an one over each ovary) where the camera and tools are inserted. You'll have surgery w/ anesthesia and be down for a while. I was 3 hours on the operating table so I was down for all of January recuperating.

Ablation is done in the doc's office or the hospital. I had it done in my doc's office w/ no anesthesia. I don't recommend that route. Ablation only deals w/ the lining of the uterus. If you have endo, the ablation won't help you w/ anything outside.

I had adenomyosis for years. Ouch. Hence the surgery last month.

Lapro hyst would be a great option for you if you find out during your lapro that endo has damaged your uterus. Keep your ovaries and you won't have much of a transition. Just healing over the course of 3-5 weeks.

Also, how is your insurance? My lapro hyst cost $35 K (2 nights in hospital). Thankfully we have awesome insurance.

Sorry about your endo. For the sake of your family, I would have surgery and be done with it. I'm glad I did.

Thank you for your insight. It doesn't appear (at least so far) that I need a hysterectomy. I haven't checked into it, but we've always been blessed with our insurance and it usually covers the majority of the expense.

Thank you!

Angela

I had a lap. for reasons linked to a miscarriage and the Dr discovered SEVERE endomitriosis while 'in there'. The endo was the 'cause' of my miscarriages and years of infertility... I only had severe lower back pain--but I also have a bad back--and the Drs always thought my pain was because of my bad disks!

He used a laser and removed it--it took a few hours!

Endomitriosis is when the 'lining' cells of the uterus migrate OUTSIDE and set up house keeping in other places--they swell and bleed each month... OUCH! An ablation only takes care of the cells inside the uterus...so no relief.

As long as you have ovaries you have a risk for endo to return. A hysterectomy will only remove the endo attatched to the uterus... mine was in 'other' places too.

My Dr said that surgery would give me relief for a few years--then I had a chance for it to return. It has been 8 years (and one baby) and I KNOW it has returned... not sure if I will go through the surgery again...I cannot take the pill.

I was down (not too much pain--I just could not bend) for 2 weeks following my surgery. After that I felt better than I had in YEARS. It was AMAZING!

I only enjoyed my new-found energy for a few months--then youngest dd came along! (primary reason for the HUGE gap between dd2 and dd3)

I had the surgery FIVE times....and though not normal, during pregnancy, instead of shrinking back, it got worse, including getting onto my intestines and such.

However, I would NOT take the pill.

One thing I did years ago was take Lupron Depot. It basically induced menopause temporarily.

In time, I got CONSIDERABLY better (like I was unable to walk across the house at one point but did a sport a couple years ago).

I had severe endometriosis and spent years and years just taking pain pills and trying to survive.

One dr. did lapro surgery and tried to scrape off as much as she could so that I could get preggers again. (first preg. was a miracle according to dr.) She gave me mega pain meds. It was the worst one week before my period started for some reason.

Got preggers five years after the first baby. Dr. said it was a super miracle. There were times I sat on the floor trying to change her diaper rocking back and forth the pain was so bad. I couldn't bend over to pick her up from her crib.

Two more years of this and then....miracle of miracles......I got preggers again! The drs just can NOT figure this out. Said it was impossible, especially when I finally gave up and went for surgery. They saw two large masses on the ultrasound, one around each ovary. Football size endrometrial tumors that totally engulfed each ovary.

Bottom line, I could not take the pill. So I just took pain pills until I couldn't stand it any longer and then had the hysterectomy. I had to be opened with a vertical incision, it took the surgeon 6 hours to work cleaning all the endro. from my insides (he called it totally scraping my insides) and said the endro. was just about to start attacking my vital organs.....SOOOO glad I had the surgery when I did.

And, they had to take both ovaries because of the tumors. I was in the hospital for 7 days, and it took a good year to totally recover, although I was up and about after 8 weeks.

I feel better now than I did in my mid 20's and all through my 30's. Haven't had any re-occurrences and hope I never do. The total hyst. was the best option for me, but I had the worst kind you could have. Ahhh, the relief.

I had severe endometriosis and spent years and years just taking pain pills and trying to survive.

One dr. did lapro surgery and tried to scrape off as much as she could so that I could get preggers again. (first preg. was a miracle according to dr.) She gave me mega pain meds. It was the worst one week before my period started for some reason.

Got preggers five years after the first baby. Dr. said it was a super miracle. There were times I sat on the floor trying to change her diaper rocking back and forth the pain was so bad. I couldn't bend over to pick her up from her crib.

Two more years of this and then....miracle of miracles......I got preggers again! The drs just can NOT figure this out. Said it was impossible, especially when I finally gave up and went for surgery. They saw two large masses on the ultrasound, one around each ovary. Football size endrometrial tumors that totally engulfed each ovary.

Bottom line, I could not take the pill. So I just took pain pills until I couldn't stand it any longer and then had the hysterectomy. I had to be opened with a vertical incision, it took the surgeon 6 hours to work cleaning all the endro. from my insides (he called it totally scraping my insides) and said the endro. was just about to start attacking my vital organs.....SOOOO glad I had the surgery when I did.

And, they had to take both ovaries because of the tumors. I was in the hospital for 7 days, and it took a good year to totally recover, although I was up and about after 8 weeks.

I feel better now than I did in my mid 20's and all through my 30's. Haven't had any re-occurrences and hope I never do. The total hyst. was the best option for me, but I had the worst kind you could have. Ahhh, the relief.

So glad it worked out for you and I am so thankful mine isn't that bad. I'm sorry for what you had to go through but am thrilled it is taken care of. What a blessing (and miracle) your babies are!!

Angela

I had the surgery FIVE times....and though not normal, during pregnancy, instead of shrinking back, it got worse, including getting onto my intestines and such.

However, I would NOT take the pill.

One thing I did years ago was take Lupron Depot. It basically induced menopause temporarily.

In time, I got CONSIDERABLY better (like I was unable to walk across the house at one point but did a sport a couple years ago).

Glad yours is better! I am unable to take the Lupron because I have bone density issues.

Thanks!

Angela

I had a lap. for reasons linked to a miscarriage and the Dr discovered SEVERE endomitriosis while 'in there'. The endo was the 'cause' of my miscarriages and years of infertility... I only had severe lower back pain--but I also have a bad back--and the Drs always thought my pain was because of my bad disks!

He used a laser and removed it--it took a few hours!

Endomitriosis is when the 'lining' cells of the uterus migrate OUTSIDE and set up house keeping in other places--they swell and bleed each month... OUCH! An ablation only takes care of the cells inside the uterus...so no relief.

As long as you have ovaries you have a risk for endo to return. A hysterectomy will only remove the endo attatched to the uterus... mine was in 'other' places too.

My Dr said that surgery would give me relief for a few years--then I had a chance for it to return. It has been 8 years (and one baby) and I KNOW it has returned... not sure if I will go through the surgery again...I cannot take the pill.

I was down (not too much pain--I just could not bend) for 2 weeks following my surgery. After that I felt better than I had in YEARS. It was AMAZING!

I only enjoyed my new-found energy for a few months--then youngest dd came along! (primary reason for the HUGE gap between dd2 and dd3)

Thank you for the clear explanation between lap surgery and ablation. The nurse called and you are right, they aren't suggesting an ablation for me, but the laparoscopy to remove any tendrils they find.

Blessings,

Angela

Laperoscopy worked great for me, twice. BC pills set up a cycle of all sorts of horrible side effects. I have been BC free and no surgeries for 9 years.

A lap will get the endo off of any other organs that it is clinging to and affecting (bowels, bladder, lungs, cervix, kidneys)

The final thing that has made it stop growing back was an electrodermal scan and homeopathic treatment.

Laperoscopy worked great for me, twice. BC pills set up a cycle of all sorts of horrible side effects. I have been BC free and no surgeries for 9 years.

A lap will get the endo off of any other organs that it is clinging to and affecting (bowels, bladder, lungs, cervix, kidneys)

The final thing that has made it stop growing back was an electrodermal scan and homeopathic treatment.

What type of homeopathic treatment? I just checked a book out of the library about natural remedies for endometriosis.

Thanks,

Angela

I started the endometriosis drama in college. The pain got me hooked on narcotic pain pills. I was uninsured but finally found a Dr to do the surgery. they kept telling me it was only a cyst but it was stage 3 Endo I believe. I was told to get pregnant and abort. seriously. I chose birth control pills instead.

that surgery experience was awful. they had taken so much out but it had bruised me inside so badly I hurt for months worth than I had been!!! the pill taken continuously was a joke. I didn't have a cycle for 3 months but then I bled for 3 months. it was a year before I felt normal again.

after having kids it went away. when my dd was about 3 I had more pain/more cysts and another surgery. again endo was found and removed. this surgery was much better. (perhaps being 10 years later the technique is better?) I was up and at it a day later and felt great. my pill experience was again less than perfect. I just can't take the pill continuously...I have to have that week off so it defeats the purpose huh?

so my surgical experience was a mixed bag. having kids got me years of relief. and now my dr has offered me the hysterectomy whenever I want it..and ironically I haven't had much pain this year. it's mild and not consistent.

so my advice is trust your gut. if you want to try the pill awhile, do so. but if it's not working then try the surgery. but who knows what it will bring. I have found every time I try something it's different than before.

good luck.

My doctor discovered my endometriosis when he went in to remove an ovarian cyst that had grown quite large. He later said that he'd never encountered that much endo, but that they'd gotten nearly all of it. The thing is, I'd been on the pill since my teens (I was 29 when I had the surgery). He said that it would probably grow back (in my case). My periods have gotten steadily worse over the years and I'm nearly to the point I was 11 years ago, pain-wise.

The good news is that the laparoscopy was quick and my recovery was fairly easy. I did have some pain the first several days, but was back to my regular routine within 2 weeks.

I had a laparoscopy done in 2001, thinking my tubes were in need of repair...turns out they were fine, but they found endometriosis all over. They lasered it out and I felt better than I had in years. Recovery from the surgery was really a breeze for me.

But recently, I've been taking natural progesterone cream, which apparently is a good remedy for an "estrogen dominant" woman. From what I've researched, excess estrogen is the cause of endometriosis (and ovarian cysts, and a whole host of other issues). I found this link that says that nat. prog. cream can be used to even reverse endometriosis. I haven't done more research on that because I'm already taking it and feeling tons better with it. But thought you'd want to know. http://www.womenlivingnaturally.com/articlepage.php?id=184

What type of homeopathic treatment? I just checked a book out of the library about natural remedies for endometriosis.

Thanks,

Angela

The treatment was specifically designed for me based on the scan. The scan is usually $90-150 from a chiropractor, accupuncturist, or naturopath. The scan tests all of your bodies systems and will find anything else that is wrong, too. I found that my tachcardia was caused by inability to digest potassium and my heart problem that the MDs couldn't figure out was gone after the homeopathic treatment! The medication ranges from $70-$300 a month (it depends on what all you are treating). It took 6 months of treatment for the scan to show that I was done. Of course, our bodies don't stay perfect, so I need to have it done again. I would recommend every 3 and a half years.

> Here are a couple of links. You need to have a good ND, as not all of the practitioners are created equal. Also be sure that they are well hydrated when being tested, you can get false positives if they are low on water. A good ND can tell if this is the case. http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?Id=1085

>

> http://www.mmyerowitz.com/edst.html

>

> I have many friends who rely on electrodermal screening for all of

> their health care. One of them has recovered from Ovarian and breast

> cancer and another has recovered from Muscular Sclerosis and Breast

> Cancer. They were diagnosed as having these diseases and being free

> of them by typical Medical testing as well, of course.

I have endo and I have taken the pill route. Unfortunately it does cause side effects so I take it for six months or so and then take a break until the pain gets unbearable and then take the pill again. I also have severe back pain which gets much worse when the endo flares up so when I am not on the pill I end up take more pain pills. I actually have less side effects with the pain pills but my doc is less in favor of that of course. I really don't want to contemplate surgery though so I just keep managing it the best I can like this. The pills work great for the endo when I take them though and you can get many different types so you can adjust until you find one that works for you and of course, some people don't have any side effects at all. Good luck with your decision and working through this.

I went through 2 laps (one 2 hour surgery in January 2000 with an obgyn and one 2 hour surgery in August 2002 with an RE where he left endo in me) after suffering from the pain of endo since I was 11 years old (I'm now 37). Neither surgeon knew what endo looked like or looked around. I had been on more than 6 bcps which gave me nothing but side effects of daily migraines, AF worse on it than off of it, extreme PMS, and more. My cysts grew while on the pill.

The only thing that helped me was surgery with an endo excision specialist at the CEC in Atlanta, Ga. I had a 7 hour surgery in which the endo was cut out of my body. He took the time to get out most of the endo that he saw (wasn't prepared surgically to get the endo that is under my liver). I blogged about my experiences there. My surgery was in July 2008. I can tell you that I can drive again where I couldn't for the past 2 years. I am not in daily pain like I have been since my 2nd surgery in 2002.

The doctors at the CEC are kind, compassionate and know what they are doing. They treated me like I was the only patient in the world that they cared about when I saw them.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

JenC from Upstate NY

My opinion...if you can tolerate the pill, this is the easiest way to combat endometriosis. This is much cheaper than surgery. There are different kinds of pills you can try to find the one with the least side effects or, ideally, no side effects at all.

I agree with this, although the laparoscopy may be also be worth considering. You can PM me for more details if you like (am not too comfortable sharing such details on a message board).

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd update ya'll on what I decided for my case. I did decide to go ahead and do the laparoscopic surgery so that I'll know "for sure" if that is the problem. Which because DH works for a great hospital is covered at 100% by our insurance. It is scheduled for tomorrow (2/25) 10:30 central time (edited with confirmed time) and I would appreciate your prayers. I am nervous as always but am looking forward to being pain free.

Blessings,

Angela

Edited by A.J. at J.A.
surgery time confirmed

I thought I'd replied to this post but apparently not. Any-hoo, I'm glad you're going forward with the laparoscopy. I had the same surgery back in 1991, due to endometriosis and fibroid tumors. At the time I thought it was pretty scary; five c-sections (and they said I'd likely never bear children, LOL) and an abdominal hernia repair later, I realize it wasn't such a big deal. Which isn't to downplay your issues; just to assure that you'll likely be back up to speed in no time. Best to you! ((( )))

Hi all! I'm back HOME from surgery! It went smoothly and all the St. Luke's employees were so loving and kind. They did find endometriosis so hopefully that will solve my pain.

I felt your prayers greatly! The IV went in without too much trouble. My surgery was delayed for 2.5hrs (after the IV was placed) and so I got to hang out in pre-op for a while. But I could certainly feel your prayers and they kept me very calm and in great peace.

DH is amazed at how coherent I am, but I'm going to lie down now. :-)

Blessings,

Angela

Hi all! I'm back HOME from surgery! It went smoothly and all the St. Luke's employees were so loving and kind. They did find endometriosis so hopefully that will solve my pain.

I felt your prayers greatly! The IV went in without too much trouble. My surgery was delayed for 2.5hrs (after the IV was placed) and so I got to hang out in pre-op for a while. But I could certainly feel your prayers and they kept me very calm and in great peace.

Blessings,

Angela

Oh, I am SO happy to hear this! I was sitting at the kitchen table first thing this morning praying for you and have thought of you several times throughout the day.

Best wishes for a great recovery! Take care to do what you're supposed to!

Chelle

Blessings,

Angela

So glad things went so well! Hope you have as quick a recovery as I did!

In a lap, they go in through your navel with microscopic instruments and visualize the endo, lasering it off of whatever it's covering. It is a membraneous tissue that can attach itself to the outside of all your internal organs.

I have severe endo, but have never had any pain with it, so I'm sorry that you're experiencing that. My own personal theory is that birth control pills may exacerbate endo, at least in people who suffer from autoimmune sensitivities. I stopped using birth control pills years ago.

I'm sorry that I can't offer advice one way or the other on either pills or surgery alleviating the pain permanently. I guess I'd tend to think that surgery to remove as much of the built up tissue as possible would be more successful in alleviating pain for at least some period of years (depending upon how fast your body builds this back up).

I have a friend who suffers with severe pain from endo and she's found the most help through deep tissue massage. She believes that it helps to break up adhesions and alleviate some of her pain.

I just opted to try the Pill. THis is my first month on it but so far - for this month at least - it has been a miracle drug for me. The docs wanted me on it back in June, but I just didnt want to take the Pill because of all the "stuff" I read from the net.

I did use natural progesterone cream for several months and that did solve the adenomyosis and hyperplasia (as indicated by repeat ultrasound).

I did not want to do the surgery for several reasons. 1. I am scared. 2. I did not want to risk more scar tissue formation due to the surgery.

A friend has reported to me benefit from taking Chaste Tree. I did try that but didnt have her success. She is about 12 years younger so that might have something to do with it.

I did not want to do the surgery for several reasons. 1. I am scared. 2. I did not want to risk more scar tissue formation due to the surgery.

A friend has reported to me benefit from taking Chaste Tree. I did try that but didnt have her success. She is about 12 years younger so that might have something to do with it.

Endo forms it's own scar tissue (known as adhesions). I had plenty of scar tissues already when my doc did my 1st lap (I was diagnosed at stage 3 endo with adhesions everywhere). If you find the right doctor who specializes in endo and all it's many different colors and where it likes to hide, you should be okay. My first 2 surgeries for endo didn't take care of my problems at all because the surgeons didn't know what they were looking at!! My 3rd and last surgery for endo, I saw an endometriosis excision specialist (somebody who will (a) spend the time to cut all of the endo out of you, (b) knows what endo looks like, and © knows where endo likes to hide). My surgery was in Atlanta Ga and I'm from Upstate NY.

I too was scared with my first surgery but now I wished that I had somebody to tell me not to have surgery with my obgyn or with my RE and actually see somebody who specializes in endo. My first two surgeries caused me more pain than anything else.

On the alternative end of things if you still have AF, you could try drinking Red Raspberry Leaf tea which might help you with the cramping.

JenC from Upstate NY

Blessings,

Angela

I would say get well soon, but it looks like you are well on your way already! Glad to hear it went well.