Menu

Sturdiest brand of sofa???

Our 9-yr-old sofa from Wickes is biting the dust - our teen with autism (who will never leave home) bounces up and down when he watches his dvds each day and metal springs are poking through the cushions (which are torn apart and covered with a slipcover that is also in pretty bad shape.) I need to find another sofa - but want to get something that will last longer!!!!!! What brands are long-lasting, and would you folks recommend leather over fabric? We also have a Lab. who thinks he is a lap dog.... (although if I get a new sofa I will do my best to train the dog to NOT get on it!!!)

I've considered placing a board underneath the cushions. We already have a comforter over the cushions to protect the fabric. My kids also bounce when they sit, as a result of ADHD/ADD. I don't think most sofas today are designed for industrial-strength usage of homeschool families. :)

Good luck in your search.

ETA: We bought a sofa and love seat 8 yrs ago at Cargo Furniture and it's still comfortable. Fabric is worn, but has held up better than our "good" furniture.

We have sturdy carpet runners from the hardware store under the cushions already (the springs are coming up through he runner and the cushions) - I fear Joe would simply crack a board in two - he is 140 lbs (down from 160+).

H'mm- an alternative would be looking for sofas from Goodwill, etc. and simply replacing them as destroyed.....

I have until the last week of March (or town's free trash pick-up day, otherwise they charge $30 to take a sofa) or until Joe needs stitches to find a new sofa.

I second the idea of putting a board under the cushions. It will make the sofa a little less comfortable, but not by much, imo. I also suggest (if you can afford it, and have no moral objections) getting a leather couch. Our leather couch has held up remarkably well with 2 boys, dogs who think they're kids and all the related rambunction. My friend bought a top-of-the-line cloth covered sofa the same time I bought my middle of the line all leather sofa and now hers looks frayed and kinda shabby. Mine still looks great. The best part? Pen marks, muddy dog prints, oatmeal, and finger paint come right off leather!

We have sturdy carpet runners from the hardware store under the cushions already (the springs are coming up through he runner and the cushions) - I fear Joe would simply crack a board in two - he is 140 lbs (down from 160+).

H'mm- an alternative would be looking for sofas from Goodwill, etc. and simply replacing them as destroyed.....

I have until the last week of March (or town's free trash pick-up day, otherwise they charge $30 to take a sofa) or until Joe needs stitches to find a new sofa.

:lol:

I wanted to tell you that we bought a Massoud sofa and loveseat in 1993, and they are still in very good shape, with the exception of the damask upholstery which has worn through on the ribbing at the edges of the cushions and in a couple of small areas on the seating surfaces. Knowing that, this time when we ordered a second set for the living room (old ones are in the den) we opted for a commonly found herringbone-weave fabric that is much sturdier, since my kids are all heavier now. ;)

Massoud is a local, American manufacturer in Dallas, and while the furniture is not inexpensive, it is really made well. We've not had anything that has come loose or felt rickety in any way, and the foam they used 16 years ago is still thick, cushy, and supportive, in spite of the fact that we have lived on these couches for hours and hours every day.

The one thing we've had go wrong with the old couch is that we had a bunch of teens/college-aged guys over for a church retreat weekend last year, and four of them (including one who was obese, so easily 500 pounds on it) decided to bunk, together :blink:, on the queen sofa bed, so they bent the pull out frame a bit. Grrr! I can't say that that would be the sofa's fault, but it does show how well it has held up in spite of _________ .

Given what you described, I'm pretty sure I'd be inclined, with any new sofa, to get high-density foam in the cushions (this is an option in the Massouds). Then I'd put a layer of thick white flexible plastic sheeting from the hardware store (we have some that is about 3 mm--not mils--thick) that would keep weight from being centered on any one spring under the cushions and help ensure that any weight from a foot or elbow was distributed to the whole seating surface. The flex in the sheeting would keep the material from breaking like wooden sheeting might.

BTW, while there are some furniture items in stores that you could buy from the showroom, they often make pieces to order with the customer's choice in fabric and frame styles. Here in D, most retailers quote about six weeks from order time, although I was able to speak with the Massoud owner directly, explain to him my predicament (the house-full of guys coming) and they did it for me in 3.5 weeks. Since I was a repeat customer with a good sob story (the leather couches we had been saving for for years were a quality control nightmare, so the leather company bought them back from us five weeks before my houseguests arrived), Mr. Massoud was kind and willing to work with me to get them turned out quickly. I can't say enough good about working with them!

hth

http://www.massoudfurniture.com/Search.aspx

Edited by Valerie(TX)
edited to add ordering info

I like the sofas here:

http://www.comfy1.com/

If I could afford to do it, I'd buy a couple of them.

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but the company states that "If any intended occupants have the syndrome of "rocking" backward and are over 160 pounds, please let us know so that we can provide extra reinforcement to prevent problems that could otherwise result ($25 charge per piece of furniture )."

http://www.comfy1.com/heavy-duty_furniture.htm

Edited by RoughCollie

Hancock and Moore and Whittemore Sherrill. I did a lot of research a couple years ago when I was in the market for a sofa. These 2 companies make leather sofa that are 8-way hand tied which people told me is the highest quality. I now have a Whittemore Sherrill sofa and it still looks as good as new. :D

We have Thomasville furniture that gets regular use. We bought it in 1998 and it's still in great shape. The only problem with it is the fabric is faded because of the sun (I like lots of windows and lots of light), but that has nothing to do with your situation. Go to a finer furniture store and tell the salesperson your dilemma and get a feel for what s/he says. Then you have a basis for further research and hopefully a less expensive solution than what they would be most likely selling it for.

quote]

:iagree:this is what we do.

Our last pair must have come from a medical office because they're really holding up well and long. Micro fiber, no removable cushions, stain resistant.

I love the plastic ones at our dentists office. I can't get them to tell me where they ordered them from. :D

But I'd really like these. http://www.allmodern.com/Knoll%AE-53S2-Suzanne-Settee-KLL1159.html#ProdDetails

Edited by CalicoKat
added link

Our La Z Boy furniture for the family room was delivered back in September. We got their tougher leather package that is recommended for homes with kids/pets but we've already had to have a service visit to fix a tear in the leather. I thought leather was supposed to be tougher than fabric but the old fabric loveseat that we replaced didn't have a single tear in it. So far, the reclining loveseat and rockers haven't malfunctioned!

I wish we had never bought any of it because now we have furniture that makes me nervous! :tongue_smilie:

I've had my Broyhill sofa for almost 15 years. It still looks good and sits pretty good also. They have a fabric choices and I plan on buying another Broyhill to replace this one. The one I've picked is around $800. I paid $500 in 1994 and thought it was a lot, but still have it!

I am so glad you had good luck with your Broyhill sofa. We bought two sofas from them 2 years ago and one of the legs, which was made out of plastic, bent. When we flipped the sofa over I couldn't believe they put such cheap plastic legs on a sofa. My dh went back to the store, but the sales staff said he needed to talk to the manager. The manager still hasn't called us back after several attempts. In the mean time my dh propped up the couch so at least it isn't leaning.

Check you sofa legs before you buy!!

We just bought a new sofa and I don't think it's the sturdiest, but I must tell you that my son, 6, jumps on the sofa like crazy - he can't seem to not do it. His brother never bounces on the couch! He gets very excited watching t.v.! I have always thought he has ADHD tendencies and now I have yet another thing to add to the list! Oh boy!

Rowe is an excellent company,

http://www.rowefurniture.com/

http://rowe-app.rowefurniture.com/studioweblocator/SR_locator_results.asp

Dh bought a set from a friend at work. It was built in 97 and looks brand new. It is pricey. We have had it a few months now and it is holding up well to all the critters and the boys.

Before that I was getting use sofas free off of Craigslist http://chicago.craigslist.org/zip/ some really nice stuff comes up on free. While back there was a really expensive set being given away free cause a couple broke up and another cause some one in Barrington wanted to redecorate. Problem with Craigslist is you have to catch the set almost as soon as it is posted. I watch several times a day and have gotten a very nice stand up freezer, whole house water filter system never used, ect....

Give it a try and if you find a sofa set you want let me know and maybe dh will let you use the truck to pick it up or I could drive ya with the truck and my boys and John could do the loading up. Just an idea.

Edited by RebeccaC