Menu

We submitted adoption paperwork last Thursday for dfd. :)

Congratulations! That is beautiful news. Could you share your journery with us a little?

Is she your first foster child? Was she free for adoption at the beginning or did the bio. parental rights have to be terminated? How did that go? Did you have to maintain contact with the birth family? Was privacy or safetly ever a concern for you? Does she have birth siblings that she needs to remain in contact with?

I'm very curious as you can tell. Fostering to adopt has been on my heart for several years.

Congratulations! That is beautiful news. Could you share your journery with us a little?

Is she your first foster child? Was she free for adoption at the beginning or did the bio. parental rights have to be terminated? How did that go? Did you have to maintain contact with the birth family? Was privacy or safetly ever a concern for you? Does she have birth siblings that she needs to remain in contact with?

I'm very curious as you can tell. Fostering to adopt has been on my heart for several years.

She's our 2nd foster baby. Not free for adoption at the beginning. She became legally free just before Christmas. Both voluntary and involuntary surrenders were secured--one of each. Legal counsel advises us to not maintain contact with the birth family. Privacy and safetey will be an ongoing concern. Her full-bio brother was our first foster baby and he's joined our forever family in October 2008. He was not free from the beginning either. Involuntary surrenders from both bio parents.

There is a restraining order prohibiting contact with their half-sibs that was put in place by the caseworkers on for those children.

Congrats!!! We have our first foster dd (3.5). We got her on Thursday. The transition has been so difficult for my 5 year old bio dd. Do you have any tips? LOL I'm all ears!

Stephenie

www.cajunhomeschool.blogspot.com

Our transitions were a little different as they all arrived as infants and so we had less competition for attention. We did have a big family meeting before each placement to ask what they thought and to see if they were willing to make the necessary "sacrifices" for the new little person. In one case we asked ds 4 if he's be willing to share his bedroom with then dfs.

Can you involve your 5 yo in the care of the little one. Like helping get juice poured and snacks out at snack time. Maybe 'reading' and book to her or perhaps helping her get ready to go when it's time for errands. My kids all love (not everyone everyday) to be helpful and feel needed.

We also have a buddy system. The older kids are paired up with a younger sibling. Mom of course is everyone's buddy. But the older kids "job" is to get their buddies ready to go. Hunting for pairs of socks, matching shoes, packing diaper bags, etc.

Special on-on-one dates are also in order. We try to make a special trip with each kid at least once a month to a place they desire, or we include them in on our errands and stop at DQ or Culvers for a sundae and go in to sit down and chat.

:grouphug: as you work through this transition.