Menu

Should I buy now?

Okay, so I have my curriculum plan for next year all set. And I've already ordered the two big items with which I wanted time to get comfortable (LLLOTR and the history text). The things remaining to purchase are Spanish, Greek, Latin, science kits and some additional readers for literature/history.

And my fingers are just itching to click that "order now" button.

But, honestly, I can't think of any reason why I should order this stuff now. I have months before I "need" it. I won't even start planning in earnest until summer, probably.

So, is there any legitimate reason for me to order now? Or should I grow up and wait?

So, is there any legitimate reason for me to order now?

Yes. If you order now, you can pre-read the books and organize your child's plan of attack for the textbooks! (Alternatively, you could just drool over the pile of new found booty.)

Regards,

Kareni

If you have to money now, I say go for it. You never know what the future holds.

The last two years I waited until summer to buy our books. Both years we had some unexpected things happen and that money was mostly gone. I'm ordering the weekend of Feb 7/8. Turbo Tax said that is when my ICR will be deposited.

I always order when I have the $ because sometimes I don't have the $, and I feel better knowing that I have things in hand for the next year. My goal is to have everything in hand by May. Money is even tighter for us in the summer and shipping is slow from many of the homeschool companies then anyway. Then in the fall I'll start working on buying 2010-2011 stuff.

We're hoping for a tax refund, but most of it has already been allocated to other areas if that happens. :glare:

That way if something happens and I decide to change gears or maybe jump ahead or just finish this year up early, I am poised to just move into the next thing without worrying about shipping time or availability.

Plus, sometimes I will look at something and realize that I want or need to prepare a bit more than I had expected in order to use it. LLLOTR was like that. I took a shot at figuring out what all extra books we would use, got the curriculum, tremendously enjoyed reading it, and then ended up deciding to order some extra books. So in that case I was VERY glad to have purchased it early.

I feel ya, I've already baught most of my curriculum for next year ( mostly used). The stuff I still need from Rainbow is on my Wish List and my finger is itching too! I waited till the last minute last year and had to buy new because I didn't have time to shop around for used. So, I started early this year with that in mind and I'm already done with most of it! Yah! Order now!

Another benefit is that you may see the material and change your mind. Then you have plenty of time to send it back and pick out something else!

I think I would go ahead and at least buy the science kit you want. I know that Creation Sensation will be discontinuing their science kits on 2/09/09 because of the new CPSIA law. So far they have exempted thrift stores from this law, but I haven't seen any more expemptions (especially for books). Since many items in a science kit can be considered toys for children 12 & under, they may be subject to the law without exemption.

I had the money available, so I went ahead & purchased our items for next year. I usually buy in March/April, but with the uncertainty surrounding the new law, I opted to buy early. Keeping the money for an additional 6-8 weeks didn't seem worth the headache that I might experience later on. By next year, they should have the law straightened out and/or the companies in compliance.

If I am buying new, I don't like to order early. I am already burnt out on this year, why would I add next year on top of it? I like to have the satisfaction of finishing this year, researching and ordering in summer, so that I get everything about a month early. That gives me a preview time, and a chance to check out new items without the pressure of my current year in my lap.

If I am buying used, I shop early and stash it away so I am not looking at it.

We had the money so I have bought all of my curriculum for next year already. I usually buy in Mar but with the uncertainty of the lead law, I decided to play it safe. Also, when you buy early you have more time to look things over and if you are a planner you have time to do this. My summers are always so busy so when I buy early I have the spring to peruse my purchases and become comfortable with them.