Menu

What are some good careers....

Catch:

Can need 2 or 4 yr education, but doesn't have to

Must be able to work only part time or flexible/own hours (ideally both)

Can make enough to live off of (doesn't have to be great)

I've only thought of a few jobs that fit this bill. Anyone think of (or know of) a good size list?

RN Nurse.

Two of my sisters are and they can pretty much walk into a town and get a job with a good wage and flexible hours anywhere they go.

I was going to say RN as well. My sister is in nursing school right now. This job is highly in demand. You make decent money. And there are sooooo many venues to work in....doctors office, ER, cruise ship, school nurse, hospital, etc. Depending on where you work, you can pretty much set your hours. If you work like 12 hours on, you get 48 hours off.....I think that's it anyways.

Nursing is a great area to go into right now...

My dd will be going to CC to get her X-ray Tech (Radiology) certification--our CC has an 18 month intense program and a 'regular' 2 year program. Taking extra classes for your AA degree is optional and will NOT effect your job/salary down the road. Lots of potential for advancement--Lots of jobs with flexible hours and great $$$!

I was thinking of things in music or other areas in the arts where you can do some performing and/or offer lessons. Having a degree might get you some clients, but wouldn't be necessary, and in some areas you can earn quite a bit hourly. I suppose the same could be said for foreign language instruction, although people might look for a degree unless you are a native speaker.

I agree with RN, I am an RN and work at a hospital under their "Flex" option, this means I don't get benefits (DH carries our benefits) but I can still participate in the retirement plan and make about double my old hourly wage when I was a regular employee. I have an associates degree and the nice thing about it is after completing half of the program I was able to sit for my LPN boards and work as an LPN while finishing the RN program. Good Luck and HTH!:001_smile:

I *L.O.V.E* being an interpreter!!! The more skills, higher certifications, and more education the more you get paid, obviously, but all that's required is a 4 yr. degree and your cert.

I'm a sign language interpreter. My degrees are in Education but I taught deaf students. When my daughter was born, I quit working but after a while I wanted to do something. I got my certification and have been interpreting ever since (I was actually interpreting before -- school trips, et c). I believe I've seen just about everything. I've done court for everything from misdemeanor/traffic violations to capital murder. I've done everything medical you can imagine and that you do not even want to imagine! I've done all kinds of law enforcement including an armed robbery in the middle of the night Christmas Eve/Christmas Morning. Almost every business setting you can think of and know now know all about pigs in the pipeline and how our checks are processed at the bank. I've done chemical labs and now know how a catalytic converter is made and how it works (did you know your catalytic converter is made of 3 precious metals the least costly of which is gold? It looks like a cardboard honey comb coated with a solution of precious metals and that is the catalyst . . . anyway . . .) Do you remember the Jetsons? Remember the video phone they had? Well, that is very common in the deaf community and we even have that kind of interpreting.

I love interpreting. I decide if and when I'll work and with or for whom. The work is interesting, challenging, and (often) rewarding. The pay is excellent.

Of course, that's all for private practice interpreting. I don't know what the pay is if you worked for a school or hospital, et c. and I imagine the lack of variety/interest would be stifiling for me. Some love it, though.

I love it!

RN

physical therapy asst (sister does this in home hlt and makes upward if $40,000)

I agree ...I know two kids in one family who all have gone the RN route (all in early to mid twenties right now) and the other sib is a dental hygenist~~~making good enough money for the life style they have chosen & keep a flexible schedule with plenty o'time for volunteering!

Particularly doing small updates to existing websites. The bigger shops won't touch that type of thing.

Unfortunately though with the economy the way it is, there are a lot of unemployed web developers, and I haven't had a contract since November and don't expect anything for awhile.