Menu

Making yogurt

(Recipe from a fellow boardie:).)

1. Bring 4 cups of whole milk (I've used lower % milk) or 2 cups whole and 2 cups half and half up to 180' in a pan.

2. Remove from heat and let cool down to 120' (no cooler that that!)

3. Meanwhile heat some water in a quart jar in the microwave to get the jar nice and warm. Empty the water out of the jar and put 1-3 Tablespoons of plain yogurt in the bottom, add the warm milk and stir well for about 20 seconds. Put the lid on and wrap in a blanket or towel for 6-8 hours. 6=less tart. That's it!

It will thicken up after refrigerating. Remember to save some yogurt (plain) for your next batch.

I add in homemade vanilla or other flavor to the milk before pouring into the jar. Once the jar or bowl is wrapped in the towel I usually let it set in the microwave for around 7 hours.

This recipe is easy and flexible. I know some use a big thermos to incubate it vs the blanket wrap.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it. I can make a gallon of yogurt for the price of a gallon of milk. Not bad. And I totally agree with the others - do not even think of wasting your money on a machine. Get some mason jars and you are good to go.

Ria

:iagree: And if you don't have mason jars try a glass bowl.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying it. I can make a gallon of yogurt for the price of a gallon of milk. Not bad. And I totally agree with the others - do not even think of wasting your money on a machine. Get some mason jars and you are good to go.

Ria

I am intrigued and think I will try and make some yogurt given that we it it. I eat plain but the kiddies would find a sweetened version more palatable. Do I just add sweetener after, in their dishes, or can it be incorporated in the incubating period?

I don't sweeten it; I figure my kids can stir in honey or sugar if they want it. Sometimes I've put some homemade jam in the bottom of the mason jar and poured the cultured milk on top...when the yogurt sets up, it's got fruit on the bottom just like the storebought stuff.

I make my own granola, and the kids like it with plain yogurt. I also use yogurt in lots of recipes, so for me sweetening isn't practical.

Ria

I keep 1/3 to a half plain and sweeten and flavor the other portion for the family. You can experiment with your favorite sweetener.

I am intrigued and think I will try and make some yogurt given that we it it. I eat plain but the kiddies would find a sweetened version more palatable. Do I just add sweetener after, in their dishes, or can it be incorporated in the incubating period?

Hmm, I can hardly wait to go buy a jug of whole milk (btw does it have to be whole milk?)

I prefer to use whole milk...it's a richer yogurt. I also add about 1-1 1/2 cups of powdered milk...this seems to help thicken the yogurt a bit.

Ria

is working out for you! I had gotten it from a friend before posting it, and I just love it. We have saved so much money on yogurt! I like your idea of leaving it right in the microwave. I will try that today since it's SO cold here (-4 degrees).

I do the same thing up to a point. I make a gallon of yogurt at a time, so I heat a gallon of milk. After cooling it (I cool to 110 degrees) I stir in one cup of plain yogurt. Then I ladle the mixture into quart-size mason jars and keep warm 5-7 hours (I do this in my oven because I can set it to 105 degrees).

Ria

I used to make milk using the heating pad and a pot in mason jars, I want to try it again.

I was thinking of making some of it sweetened with vanilla and some plain. Any tips on how much vanilla and sweetener to use for a quart or so of yogurt?

Since I'm not a morning person, I use the yogurt maker with the individual jars. Then I don't have to deal with portion control for the kids when I'm barely awake. I use 5 cups of milk, take out 1/7 of it for my starter jar and then use 1 tsp vanilla and 1/3 cup sugar for the remainder. But your individual tastes my vary.

It is much cheaper to make it yourself. I use a heating pad, and a pot. No need for a "yogurt maker". Comes out perfect every time.

Uh huh. I use a heating pad in a six-pack sized cooler, and also use canning jars.

We use raw milk, and my favorite starter is Pequea Valley Farm or Brown Cow.

I do not recommend using honey mixed in to the cultured milk. In my experience, the resulting yogurt has tasted... weird. Like Burt's Bees baby powder. Love honey drizzled on plain yogurt, though. That's usually how we eat it.

I make viili--it is from Finland. You can buy the culture at various stores online. What is really great about it is the fact it is counter cultured. You don't need a machine and you do not need to prep the milk in any way. It also self perpetuating, so providing you don't kill it you will have yogurt forever.

I do use half and half sometimes because it is just sooo good.

The method is simple:

Retain 2 TBSP of your last batch and put it in a quart mason jar.

Pour your whole milk or half and half over and to within an inch or so of the top. Stir with a plastic spoon.

Cover with a coffee filter and rubber band.

Let sit at room temp until it sets--usually about 18 hours at first, much faster with consecutive batches or more starter.

Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight as it will continue to thicken.

If you cannot re-culture soon make a batch out of pure cream. It will last 4 or more weeks in the fridge.

We serve it with organic preserves on top or honey.

:001_smile:

Thank you for the recipe, I couldn't remember who posted it. I'm still amazed how easy it is to make yogurt. ;)

is working out for you! I had gotten it from a friend before posting it, and I just love it. We have saved so much money on yogurt! I like your idea of leaving it right in the microwave. I will try that today since it's SO cold here (-4 degrees).