Menu

How Do You Keep Track of All Your Addresses?

Christmas has come and gone, and I never sent out cards once again. Before kids it was easy to hand write all the addresses, now its just too much. I have 5 years of saved addresses from friends, and one very old address book. Does anyone use an address book anymore? I'd love to be able to print out all the addresses come Christmas time, or any other occasion. I'd like to become organized in this area. What program do you use, and can you recommend it? Thanks!

I use the Contacts section of Microsoft Outlook. I've been using it for years and years...have transferred all my contacts to new computers numerous times. It syncs with my PDA (iPod Touch) so I have them with me all the time.

Outlook lets you tag contacts, so I have my Christmas card contacts tagged "Christmas". I can print out the names and addresses of just that subset of contacts. Or I could print mailing labels if I wanted to, or print directly on envelopes (including my return address).

I can't imagine going back to a paper-based address book!

For Christmas cards, I type all the addresses into a Word labels document (I save it as "Christmas Mailing Labels... easy to find) and just weed out old addresses and add new ones just before printing it out or when cards get returned as undeliverable. I just use the same, updated document every year.

For easy access of day-to-day needs, like finding an address, phone number, anniversary, birthdays, names of children, etc, I keep all of my addresses filed on index cards in an index card file box (one section for personal addresses and another for business). That way, when someone moves, I only have to remove the card with the old address and replace it with a card containing the new one. Much less aggravating than crossing out old addresses in a book. I also have a slow computer, so keeping them on the computer can be a pain if I have to start-up my computer to find an address.

After my husband erased our wedding guest list from the computer for the third time (years ago, of course), I gave up on a computerized address book. I also hate paper books because you never know if it's the new address or the old one, and they get so messy.

I started using a small index card file box. Get alphabet dividers, index cards, and a file box. Write everyone on a separate index card and file them under their letter. The nice thing about this system is that if someone gets a new address, you just make a new card and toss the old one. Never wonder if you have the right address or not. It's portable, so I can take it anywhere in the house where I might be doing work. Also, I can write in family members' birthdays on the back of the cards. When I send out Christmas cards, I don't make a list. I just start at "A" in the box. I make a small notation of the year in the corner of the card ('08 this past year) and I know I sent that person a card.

It has been the absolute best, most reliable way I've ever done an address list.

Good luck to you!

Jeannie

Christmas has come and gone, and I never sent out cards once again. Before kids it was easy to hand write all the addresses, now its just too much. I have 5 years of saved addresses from friends, and one very old address book. Does anyone use an address book anymore? I'd love to be able to print out all the addresses come Christmas time, or any other occasion. I'd like to become organized in this area. What program do you use, and can you recommend it? Thanks!

Get one of the dc to type them into WORD or Outlook and then you can print them on envelopes or on labels.

I still handwrite cards though but I don't have that many.

I have a Mac and use the Address Book app. I have a group set up for Christmas Cards. It works great. Another thing I like is that it syncs to my iPhone... so I have everyone's address, phone numbers and emails with me.

I'm able to print out labels from the program which makes things very easy.

Val

My Outlook at the office is filled with contacts, but until reading this thread, I had never thought of entering friends and family at home.:confused:

We still have the "little black book".

I guess it's not as important to me since the only mass mailing I do is Christmas cards, and I have this firm, old-fashioned belief that they need to be addressed by hand.:)

Not only do I use an address book, I also use a Christmas card list book :-)

Ok, technically, I use an address basket, a very cute one made by Longaberger, like this.

Once upon a time I kept all addresses in my Franklin, but then I misplaced the Franklin and discovered the importance of having addresses stored in multiple places, not all of which require electricty or computer to access, useable by family members. So I have addresses in Outlook, in the basket, and a few in a cute little Mary Englebreit address book that fits in my purse. I have also begun putting them in my Yahoo mail account.

Mine are in my mac address book, you can easily set up a christmas group to print out. You can also make copies of your own address and print those, it looks nice with both labels the same on the christmas cards.

I do, however, print out a hard copy to save as well each year in case something happens.