Menu

If your home has a septic tank, could you answer some questions for me?...

I probably won't be as much help as others....

We have to have our septic pumped about once a year. It really depends on what you have and the size of your tanks. For example, my parents can go for years, but it's just the two of them. Our tank is relatively small and we have 8 people living here-3 of them adults.

We have a three section tank and a dry well in the back for all the water run off. Our septic is pretty old, though, and we were told not to code, so if anything goes wrong, we'd be looking at redoing a lot of it. (We have some work done this summer and the dry well is the part that is not code)

We were told not to use anti bacterial soaps for hand washing. It kills off the good bacteria that's supposed to be in the tank breaking things down. We have them add some stuff when they pump to help out with the breaking down (can't think what it is now, sorry!).

I hadn't thought of the other things you asked though, so I can't really answer you there!

I don't really pay too much attention to what we use. We did just get our septic pumped and based on the tanks and people in the house the gentleman reccomended we get it done every 4-5 years. If you're really concerned it might be a good idea to have a local septic pumping company rep come out and give you some advice.

We use what ever products we want. I'll even use bleech, but I don't overwhelm it. We have it pumped every 2 years at least - that is more then the recommended, but ours is old and we don't want to risk problems. (We have 4 people living in the house.) Once a month I flush the stuff down the toilet that helps it "digest". Can't remember what it's called.

What kind of laundry detergent, dishwashing soap, and toilet cleaner are you supposed to use?

The installer suggested liquid laundry & dishwashing detergent. I use Tide or Cheer (1/2 recommended amount) and Target or Walmart brand dishwashing gel. For toilet cleaner we typically use vinegar. If stained, we will use a commercial brand, but this is rare.

How often does it need to be pumped?

We are the original owners. Four of us have been using it for 2.5 years now. They originally estimated 4-5 years before pumping would be required.

What do you put down the drain to keep it working well?

We put nothing down it to keep it working. I don't think there is anything you are supposed to put down it. We do have to put a chlorine tablet in one section to disinfect the gray water that sprays out.

Another thing - we try to not to use any anti-bacterical products. They suggest not to use those with this system. We also do not use any bleach (or very, very little). For toilet paper, the installer was very against Charmin. He recommended some newspapery-feeling type stuff. We compromised on White Cloud.

This is an aerobic system. We use liquid laundry detergent. The house has been here 8 years and has never needed to be pumped (the county does require us to have a maintenance contract which means it gets checked every 3-4 months by a professional who no doubt would love to do the pumping if we needed it). You should be fine if you don't put no-no's down it.

We use a drop-down-the-toilet product to keep the gray water clean. I put 1/3 of it in each toilet.

I thought my shower and one sink had started draining a little slowly so put some baking soda down it and followed it up with vinegar, let it set, then rinsed with hot water.

Supposedly Scott is the best toilet paper for ANY system (septic or regular), but I don't like it. We just use Angel Soft as it's the cheapest. You don't want anything particularly soft and "wonderful" :)

just two years ago in 2007 over the summer. I have two tanks one for my toilet and one for the washing machine. I use only liquid detergent for my washing machine, etc.

I was told to pump every 2-3 years. I try to stick to that, but I don't always. I also am suppose to avoid anti-bacterial soap because it kills the bacteria in the system. However, we use antibiotics if the children get sick. We use bleach after we have viruses. All these things kill the bacteria in system too. So, the septic company sold us some bacteria producing stuff. I don't remember what it was. I poor acidophilous down the toilet too when it gets old. It helps.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

We've been living here for 6 years and have yet to have ours pumped. The only thing I do not use is anti-bacterial soaps. I have also been told to drop a yeast packet into the toilet every so often to promote bacterial growth. I don't use any of those expensive drop-ins for septic tanks....was told they are basically yeast anyhow. ;)

We used whatever cleaning products we want. The main thing is that we don't have a garbage disposal so that stuff isn't getting into the tank. Also no feminine products flushed. We have a new tank and have only been here 2 years so I don't know when we'll need to have it pumped. Probably ought to schedule it for summer since we're frozen most of the rest of the year.

we have an aerobic system--6 years old. We have had the tanks pumped twice--about every 2.5 years.

I use any products I like--even soft and comfy toilet paper. The only real 'rule' is the no feminine products one.

Our system needs to have bleach tablets in a small buried tank--we check it once a month.

In Texas one used to have to use a maintenance company to check your system each month--but as of 2008 you can do this yourself--saves us $500 a year.

It really really depends on the type of system you have and where you live.

One other thing to remember about your septic system...never, never, never, NEVER put feminine products down the toilet.

That's what clogs up most systems the fastest.

I ordered nice metal placards to place on each of our commodes that read, 'We are on a septic system. Please flush toilet paper ONLY. Thanks, "Management"'. :)

I don't use a lot of bleach. We don't use antibiotic soaps either as a pp stated.

For drains...baking soda followed with vinegar. You can also add salt with the soda but rinse well.

I make my own detergent by mixing equal parts washing soda, borax, and I'll add some oxiclean.

I use Electrisol for the dishwasher

We built our house 5 years ago and haven't pumped the tank yet. The filter did get clogged though, and DH cleaned it.

We use what ever products we want. I'll even use bleech, but I don't overwhelm it. We have it pumped every 2 years at least - that is more then the recommended, but ours is old and we don't want to risk problems. (We have 4 people living in the house.) Once a month I flush the stuff down the toilet that helps it "digest". Can't remember what it's called.

Septo-Bac might be it. Our septic guy actually reccomended against it because it can make the...uh...mix too liquidy and that can apparently cause problems as well.

The filter did get clogged though, and DH cleaned it.

Only the septic systems with pumps have filters. They usually pump the ick into another tank up the hill/down the line, etc. due to various perking reasons. If you have a basic septic pump you do not have to worry about cleaning a filter every 6 months because.... you don't have one. :)

You have received tons of great advice already. Just remember that you want to keep the bacteria in the tank happy and alive. If it doesn't come out of you it doesn't belong in the tank. i.e. no to garbage disposals/food down the drains.

The less water you use the better.

The less stuff that gets flushed down the better. i.e. thinner toilet paper, NO flushable wipes, and/or feminin products.

Liquid or powder detergents are fine. Just remember the less bleach you use the less bacteria you kill. DO NOT use antibecterial soaps. It likes to kill the bacteria your trying to keep happy.

The bigger the family the more often your tank should be pumped. We are a family of 8 and need it pumped every year. A family of 4 can probably go 4 years.

HTH.

One other thing to remember about your septic system...never, never, never, NEVER put feminine products down the toilet.

That's what clogs up most systems the fastest.

I do and it never has hurt our septic. In fact, when we were due for a septic pump, there was no sign of the T__p__s whatsoever! However, don't do the flushable applicators, but the rest were gone. I've lived w/3 septics and none ever were hurt by this. But use logic. If you have a bunch of girls living in your house that are at this age, then you may reconsider throwing them down there. For us, it's just me and my dd is only 8.

Laundry soap yes, should not be the powder. Some septic pumping companies will give you a septic additive to put down there once a month. Usually due to overuse of chemicals and such. I don't think I'd buy the OTC stuff. But we have soft water, so we have to be careful of overuse of soap. Also, you shouldn't flood it. Meaning do a load or so of laundry daily. I've done 3, but then I don't do any for days. Just use moderation.

Of course common sense is the key. Don't overuse any bleaches or throw paint down there. I've even washed some paint brushes, but I toss paint rollers.

We've just never had a problem.

Your best bet is to call a few septic guys and ask them.

Generally speaking, no tampons (one tampon can easily cost thousands of dollars in repairs. Is it worth it to you?). Bleach kills the beneficial organisms, so avoid it. Try to dump cleaning solutions (ie, if you mop the floor, do it with a bucket, and dump this in the yard, not down the drain). Those products that are supposed to help your septic are not necessary, and often do much more harm than good. Again, talk to your septic guys.

Ria

This is all news to me.

Our septic tank is 10 years old.

I have never had it pumped (oops, I really didn't know I was suppose to :blush:)

I flush tampons every month.

My kids use way to much tp - I am working on that with them, they never seem to think they are clean enough. :confused:

I use bleach

I clean paint brushes regularly

I use Scott toilet paper (Yay, I got something right!)

I do at least one load of laundry every day + 4 long showers/day

I don't normally buy antibacterial soap, but I know my dh has bought one or two (:thumbdown:)

I guess I'll be calling tomorrow to have my septic pumped. Any idea what the cost is for that?

I'm in the same boat as Jumping in Puddles. We have been here 10 years. We don't do anything particularly "special" for it, and we have never had it pumped. We are a family of 4, two kids. We use as few chemicals as possible, I almost never use bleach, we use very little anti-bacterial soap and we try not to get thick tissue. I don't use tampons anymore (mooncup), but I flushed them (not the applicator) regularly when I was growing up on a farm with a septic tank. I once asked my parents how often I should have the tank pumped, and they said only when there's a problem.

We have lived in our home for 18 years and never have we done anything to our system. I'm with Jumpinginpuddles -- we seem to do everything wrong, but have never had a problem.

The only thing we do is to not have a garbage disposal. My dh said they were bad for septic systems, so we never got one. Otherwise, we break all those other rules -- tampons, powder laundry detergent, anti-bac soap, Charmin bath tissue.

I've also never fed it anything to help things along.

I hope it doesn't back up tomorrow now that I've said all that.