Menu

Sudden fever with no other symptoms??? Sorry-another worried mom

I'm getting anxious because dd5 woke up saying she was hot and has a climbing fever with no other symptoms. If she were throwing up or nauseous I would at least feel like she has a bug or flu.

She hasn't been out in public since Monday because we've been catching up on work. I don't know how she could catch anything and noone else is sick.

It's scary to me having a fever and nothing else. We called the Ped when it got over 102 and they said to give Tylenol, bring her in Mon if the fever goes down and no other symptoms. If she gets other symptoms, take her to urgent care.

Reading the internet has just fed my anxiety. (Below)

"When a child has a high fever that isn't accompanied by a runny nose, a cough, vomiting, or diarrhea, figuring out what's wrong can be difficult. Some viral infections, such as roseola, cause three days of very high fever followed by a rash of small red bumps. More serious infections, like meningitis, urinary tract infections, or bacteremia (bacteria in the bloodstream), also may trigger a high fever without other symptoms. But infections aren't the only triggers for fever; tumors, autoimmune diseases, and certain drug reactions can cause it. For these reasons, call your pediatrician if your child has a high fever but no other symptoms. "

Any thoughts?:confused:

Reading the internet has just fed my anxiety. (Below)

"When a child has a high fever that isn't accompanied by a runny nose, a cough, vomiting, or diarrhea, figuring out what's wrong can be difficult. Some viral infections, such as roseola, cause three days of very high fever followed by a rash of small red bumps. More serious infections, like meningitis, urinary tract infections, or bacteremia (bacteria in the bloodstream), also may trigger a high fever without other symptoms. But infections aren't the only triggers for fever; tumors, autoimmune diseases, and certain drug reactions can cause it. For these reasons, call your pediatrician if your child has a high fever but no other symptoms. "

Any thoughts?:confused:

The internet can really make a mom paranoid! I know how you feel. I would say that it is probably not roseola from what I believe only kids under 2 get that but I could be wrong. My dd1 had it over the summer. She had a very high fever for a couple of days and then the fever went away and she got a rash.

She seems a little old for roseola, but that fits the profile - sudden fever, fever goes away, spots break out... Roseola is generally a virus of infants, though, because one you get it (generally as an infant) you don't get it again. All of my kids had it. There are no serious repercussions, and they feel fine while being dotty.

Viruses can incubate for much longer than 5 days - the incubation period for chicken pox is 8-21 days, for instance.

I think the meningitis that they're referring to here (and I could be wrong, but I was researching it for my husband yesterday morning, for a class he was teaching) is viral, which is NOT the meningitis you hear about on the news. Viral meningitis doesn't require medical intervention most of the time. Usually, if it does, it's for secondary issues caused by being sick, sort of like chicken pox.

I would keep an eye on her and look for other symptoms, but I wouldn't get too worked up about it unless there is a change. Or, no change after a few days.

I looked up some of the illnesses further. She doesn't have a stiff neck or headache... I just don't know.

I gave one dose of tylenol and the fever is down to where it as when she woke up- 100.3 (It got to 102.7 when I called dr.)

The hard part is dh is at work and I'm keeping her in bed and away from my 13 month old.

She was a little dizzy when the fever was at it highest but now feels "fine" she says and wants her lunch and to get out of bed. That worries me more.

Dh has a friend at work whose dd kept getting fevers a few months ago and was dx with cancer. I think that's why I'm just really getting worked up here.

My dd7 gets sudden fevers without other symptoms. For her it seems to be a way for her body to fight off a virus before she gets the classic symptoms. A fever is a way for a body to kill germs so I wouldn't worry about the fever itself. In fact I usually don't give any fever reducers until the fever reaches 102 just so the fever can do it's job.

I looked up some of the illnesses further. She doesn't have a stiff neck or headache... I just don't know.

I gave one dose of tylenol and the fever is down to where it as when she woke up- 100.3 (It got to 102.7 when I called dr.)

The hard part is dh is at work and I'm keeping her in bed and away from my 13 month old.

She was a little dizzy when the fever was at it highest but now feels "fine" she says and wants her lunch and to get out of bed. That worries me more.

Dh has a friend at work whose dd kept getting fevers a few months ago and was dx with cancer. I think that's why I'm just really getting worked up here.

To help calm your fears of cancer, the fevers are usually low grade (not always though) and come and go for weeks not just one time and the fevers do not go down or away with tylenol/motrin. Our son was dxed at 19 months with leukemia after 6 weeks of low grade fevers and being unable to walk (at the time we did not know they were related and yes we went to the ped weekly *sigh*). There are usually other symptoms too such as clinginess, crying excessively, sleeping too much, not eating, and the list goes on. Many of the signs seem like normal childhood issues as they go through 'stages'. Unless she has had any unusual changes recently try not to worry too much.

My oldest does get high fevers with no other symptoms from time to time, and each time is goes as quickly as it came. One doc told us that her body is just good at fighting stuff off, so symptoms are few. High fevers can cause dizziness or at least they do for myself and my DD.

:grouphug: It is so hard when the kiddos are sick. It is most likely a virus, but obviously call the docs if it bothers you or if it gets worse.

a "fever virus." That's where the fever goes away without there being any other symptoms. Silly name, I know, but an apt description.

Our ped has a benchmark for reporting fever, something like a 102 or higher fever that persists through a dose or two of acetominophen and no other symptoms... does your office have a similar benchmark? Seems like an easy phone call would set your mind at ease. They can at least tell you what the virus of the month is (ie, if roseola is indeed going around).

I am a worrier, too, especially when my kids were all very young. I agree with the others that it is a roseola pattern, and I am trying to remember if Fifth's disease follows the same pattern. That would be for older kids. She would have a red, slapped-cheek look in the next day or two, with a lacy rash on her extremities to follow.

It's maddening that this sort of thing always happens over the weekend, isn't it?

ETA: UTI will be accompanied by noticeable discomfort upon urination and perhaps even blood in the urine. In my experience, the pain from a UTI usually precedes any fever from it, but you will need to question your daughter, she might be embarrassed to talk about it.

Edited by AuntieM

Guest Alte Veste Academy
My dd7 gets sudden fevers without other symptoms. For her it seems to be a way for her body to fight off a virus before she gets the classic symptoms. A fever is a way for a body to kill germs so I wouldn't worry about the fever itself. In fact I usually don't give any fever reducers until the fever reaches 102 just so the fever can do it's job.

This is what goes on here too. All my kids get fevers every now and then for no visible reason. I rarely take the kids to the doctor (I think my oldest went once last year and that was because he had pneumonia). I generally treat the malaise rather than strictly the fever, although I always treat the fever at night because I worry about spiking while I'm asleep (and I'll sometimes let them sleep with me or I'll sleep with them just in case). I generally just keep a very close eye on them. The most helpful advice I've received for this problem is from my MIL, an ER doctor. She says if you give them Motrin or Tylenol and that doesn't bring down the fever or if they are just not behaving like themselves (specifically lethargic), that's reason to take them in. Other than that, watch it and wait.

Kristina

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

102 is not a high fever in a child.

The rule for fevers in our house is:

1. Do not give Tylenol for fevers under 102 degrees. Up until 102 the fever is beneficial. When it gets higher than 102, we give Tylenol.

2. If the fever is the only symptom, we dose with Tylenol, allow plenty of rest, and lots of water for 3 days. If the child is still feverish in 3 days, *then* I call the Dr.

3. If the child is feverish, and has other symptoms (nausea, coughing, etc. ) I'd call after a day or two. The exceptions would be fever+lethargy and fever+stiff neck. I'd call for those right away.

Since it seems that the only symptom your dd has is a low-grade fever that responds to Tylenol, I'd stay calm and give her lots of rest and water for a couple of days.

The ped only said that a nasty gastro bug with fever is going around our area, but DD has no gastro symptoms. She has peed twice with no problems.

I think fever should be allowed to do it's job too, but the ped said at 102 give tylenol every 4 hours. I don't know how long to do that. Until her temp is back to normal? (Guess I better call back).

After the fever came down, she is back to laughing and talking to herself, watching a dvd on my laptop in her room.

I keep questioning her, but the only thing she says was that she got "too hot" in her pajamas last night and she woke up dizzy. Hot pajamas wouldn't make a fever climb, so I don't know what to make of that. I put her in a light gown this morning after she complained.

I'd give Tylenol every 4 hours as long as her temp is over 102. Your dd's temp went down after the dosage, and if in 4 hours it is back to 102 then I'd give it again.

If she's still feverish in 3 days, then call the Dr. back.

The fever could be from anything. Dd's body is trying to kill off something, so *as long as she's not showing any other symptoms* and she's responding to Tylenol, then try not to worry. :)

You all can't know how much stressed you've helped relieve today. I mean that. We live away from family and there's noone around to discuss these things. :grouphug:

I just took her temp again and it's 98.7. BTW- I've been taking it underarm this whole time. I know that's not the most accurate, but I thought she might have the flu and throw up.

She peed again with no problems and it was clear so I don't *think* UTI is present.

I was going to feed her lightly, but she wanted a sandwhich. Last night before bed she ate a cereal bowl full of grapes that dh brought home. I was going to give her those but I just wonder about whether they may have had anything to do with this? Noone else ate any.

Anyway, I'm not going to worry myself sick. This is already giving me a headache.

Thank you all,

It usually seems to be an ear infection when this happens to my kids. It has happened several times and worried me at first. They never complained about their ears and it never even followed a cold.

Fevers with no other symptoms tend to worry me a bit too. But then again, I'm a total hypochondriac and worry about every little illness in myself or my family. I try to give my worry over to the Lord, but that's easier said than done.

I do not give meds for a fever unless it is starting to make my kids feel bad. If they have a fever and are still acting pretty normal, I let the fever do its job. Unless it is at night....I always give meds at night because I dont want it to suddenly spike unknowingly at night.

102 is not a high fever in a child.

The rule for fevers in our house is:

1. Do not give Tylenol for fevers under 102 degrees. Up until 102 the fever is beneficial. When it gets higher than 102, we give Tylenol.

2. If the fever is the only symptom, we dose with Tylenol, allow plenty of rest, and lots of water for 3 days. If the child is still feverish in 3 days, *then* I call the Dr.

3. If the child is feverish, and has other symptoms (nausea, coughing, etc. ) I'd call after a day or two. The exceptions would be fever+lethargy and fever+stiff neck. I'd call for those right away.

Since it seems that the only symptom your dd has is a low-grade fever that responds to Tylenol, I'd stay calm and give her lots of rest and water for a couple of days.

This is our protocol too :)

and if they WANT to eat, I feed them. Even if they have been nauseous, cuz they need every half-ounce of sustenance they can get that might make it through their system.... [just keep it light].

Years ago my 2d had a nasty vomiting fit that lasted three days. It was the only real time i was seriously worried. He drank very little and ate NOTHING. He was puking every couple hours and always threw up after drinking even water. I still tried to get broth, gatorade, ANYTHING in him even if he puked it up. When i finally took him in, the doc looked him over and said he seemed to be doing pretty well considering ;) But it passed.

good luck!!

Her eyes starting turning red and the fever went back up, so dh asked me to take her to an urgent care place.

DX- Ear infection in left ear, mild to moderate (maybe 4.5 on a scale of 1 to 10).

Red eyes are from the fever.

We were given an antibiotic, but Dr. said we can wait and see if it clears on its own in a day or two. I'm trying to figure that one out.

It usually seems to be an ear infection when this happens to my kids. It has happened several times and worried me at first. They never complained about their ears and it never even followed a cold.

You got it. She has never had an ear infection in her life. I thought by 5 that phase was over? She never said a word about her ears, and she hasn't had a cold.

As we were leaving she said incredulously, "Ear infection?! How'd I get an ear infection?!" I'm scratching my head at that one too.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Same here.

• 2 years later...
Guest Dulcimeramy
TWTM board is *stalking* me. Seriously. No matter what I google (for example: "fever with no other symptoms) a Well-Trained Mind thread comes up. Is there nothing that hasn't been discussed here? :001_smile:

P.S. Thanks for the advice in this thread. I'm feeling a little less worried now. :001_smile:

Are you in the midwest? There seems to be a fever going around. We're on day 3 here. Symptoms are:

A sudden fever (103.5 or so) that is easily lowered to 100.5 with medication, fluids and rest, although dizziness, slight headache, and extreme fatigue set in as the fever comes down and continue for the rest of the day. 10 or 12 hours later the child feels much better but then a hacking cough starts.

I haven't felt alarmed enough to consult a doctor, because each kid has felt hugely better the next day, but the first day is scary with that high fever. (I would take a younger child to the doctor or at least call)

Guest Dulcimeramy
No, not in the midwest. She's had a mild fever (around 100.5 to 101.5) for 2 days now. It's well controlled with ibuprofen. Though, having read this thread, I might lay off the ibuprofen so the fever can do it's work as long as it doesn't get much higher.

I think that is wise. In my experience with my four, a fever below 102 is not dangerous. I watch very closely for it to go higher, though. Hope she's better soon!

I'm glad you got an answer! Just wanted to add that DS got a sudden fever on Friday, no other symptoms. Over the weekend he had aches and pains but still nothing specific, and the fever kept going up (over 105 at one point) and down. After several doctor's visits he was finally tested yesterday and has the flu--Influenza B. AND he had the flu shot this year. :( There's nothing they can really do for him but it's good to know what he has.

And we've been finding that ibuprofin works way better than Tylenol for the fever and general mood.

My first guesses would be either roseola or Fifth Disease. Both of them present first with a fever and no other symptoms. The roseola fever lasts longer (about 4 days). The fifth disease fever frequently goes by unnoticed.

The roseola rash appears sooner (a day or so after the fever subsides). The fifth disease rash can appear anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks after the fever subsides.

Neither are life threatening.

Peds nurse here. Often a fever is the FIRST sign of an illness with no other symptoms for 48 hours. You don't need to worry about an FUO (fever of unknown origin) unless it persists for more than two weeks. Children run fevers. High fevers. Frequently. Doctors generally like to see a child if he/she has been running a fever for more than 72 hours without it trending downward. And, this is not because they suspect the child has a devastating illness....it is simply to check for a bacterial infection like strep.

If a child has a fever and is eating, playing, sleeping and acting normally....don't worry about it. A child with a high fever who behaves normally is MUCH less of a worry than a child with a fever of 99.6 who is lethargic and unresponsive. How a child acts is more important than what the thermometer says.

• 7 months later...
The internet can really make a mom paranoid! I know how you feel. I would say that it is probably not roseola from what I believe only kids under 2 get that but I could be wrong. My dd1 had it over the summer. She had a very high fever for a couple of days and then the fever went away and she got a rash.

I may not be roseola but kids over 2 do get it. My brother had it when he was 6. The internet can be scary and make you paranoid. Not just for moms but it seems to make moms worry more.

What symptoms does a child have with a UTI?

When DD had a UTI, she was fine in the morning - no complaints - and then just after lunch developed a 105.6 degree fever in less than an hour. She started by saying she just didn't feel good and curled up on the couch. A few minutes later, she was limp, wouldn't open her eyes, wouldn't walk or stand, and didn't respond to pain cues. It turns out the UTI had spread to her kidneys and that's why she was so sick.

The ped told us that young children with UTIs don't have the same symptoms that adults do. So they may not feel a burning sensation or have to pee more often or have any symptoms at all. DD didn't. She hadn't had a fever, hadn't complained that it hurt to go potty, nothing. The ped also said a high fever with no other symptoms is a huge indicator of a UTI and should always be investigated.