Menu

where to buy real maple syrup

I went to SAM's Wholesale club yesterday and was shocked to see the Log Cabin real maple syrup I use had doubled in price. From 8 something to 19.99!! I could not believe it. Does anyone know where I can order some cheaper? This was a little 32 oz jug. I am still in sticker shock!

FWIW the price of maple syrup just about doubled last year. Mostly this is because of fuel prices. We live in maple syrup country around here. Even those smaller syrup shacks that use wood to heat the sap, have had to raise their prices. It is posible that this springs crop could go back down. Fuel is quite a bit less now than last February/March.

In NH, last spring, the average price of a gallon of maple syrup rose to $50. The year before it was $32. And that is directly from the sugar houses!

FWIW the price of maple syrup just about doubled last year. Mostly this is because of fuel prices. We live in maple syrup country around here. Even those smaller syrup shacks that use wood to heat the sap, have had to raise their prices. It is posible that this springs crop could go back down. Fuel is quite a bit less now than last February/March.

In NH, last spring, the average price of a gallon of maple syrup rose to $50. The year before it was $32. And that is directly from the sugar houses!

I noticed this when we were in ME in September - a quart of syrup was $32. $32!!! A QUART. In Maine! So, really, I'm thinking that $19 for a quart is a steal.

The Amish family that we buy our milk from went to Ohio this fall and came back with gallons of syrup, so I bought a gallon from them. For $32. :001_huh:

I put it up in quart jars and have found that spooning the syrup conserves it a great deal more than pouring. (e.g. one soup spoon is more than enough on oatmeal, two or three is plenty on pancakes, depending on the stack)

Prior to that, I usually found Trader Joe's was the best buy.

Our jug is getting low here too. I may have to pay the Sam's club price again since my search for a less expensive local suppler isn't working.

Isn't tree-tapping time right around the corner....I may have to check into our local Nature Center and participate in the festival here. (Aka, lots of work, but this year the cost might prove worth the effort.)

Edited by Tammyla

• 1 year later...

:D If you're up for a drive, we buy ours in Grantsville or Oakland, MD when we go home to visit family. There are several farms in the area that make maple syrup. We paid $22.98 for a half gallon in June.

:auto:

ETA: I did a google search to see if they have a website and online catalog. I couldn't find a website, but I did find a review on merchant circle or something like that which said, "Thank goodness they will ship to AZ." If you want to call and ask about prices and whether they'll ship, the phone number is 301-895-5915. The name of the business is Hill Top Fruit Market, and the maple syrup is fabulous.

Edited by LizzyBee

I hate to say it but I have switched to the fakey fake stuff cause the real stuff is now out of my price range.

Yep, except we do the homemade -- boil 2 cups water and slowly add 2c. brown and 2. c. white sugars (stir and let sugars dissolve each time you add some); then add 1 Tblsp mapeline or vanilla). We do buy some 100% real maple syrup to have on hand, and just use it occasionally now.